Transfer Portal 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
harflax

Re: Transfer Portal 2022

Post by harflax »

Currently leading the poaching effort of 2022 verbally committed players is Lars. He was contacting players two weeks ago trying to get them to flip.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Ok so what if Lars doesn’t add the grad transfer Charlie Bertrand? Let’s not count his 2 goals in the semis and they lose to UNC 11-10.

The transfer game is what it is these days.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

I guess I am confused……I think I am seeing 2 Separate issues, conflated into 1 here as regards poaching……….there is the Transfer Portal market of existing college D1 players and then there are some complaints about high school commitments changing their minds because they continue to be recruited after committing. Recruiting must be done till the final bell…. Maybe, some kids make an initial commitment and they blow up and have better choices available or they decide they just don’t like their initial choice as much as the new one. I see nothing wrong with that…. Kids need to go where they are happiest. I also am in favor of kids having the right to change their minds if the fit isn’t right at a particular school or to get into a specific graduate program. Recruits should beware of programs that routinely bring in whole groups of new players. Everyone knows who they are and that should have a “Buyer Beware tag”………………
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:06 am Ok so what if Lars doesn’t add the grad transfer Charlie Bertrand? Let’s not count his 2 goals in the semis and they lose to UNC 11-10.

Bad example…..Bertrand graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering from Merrimack and was admitted to Virginia’s very competitive Commerce school for a Graduate program. He was doing that program there or somewhere else with or without lacrosse. Talk about a student athlete………some of these kids are just marking time with the extra year, taking classes only to stay eligible, because it’s only about lacrosse. He isn’t one of those.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

blue angels wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:21 am
FlyEaglesFly wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:06 am Ok so what if Lars doesn’t add the grad transfer Charlie Bertrand? Let’s not count his 2 goals in the semis and they lose to UNC 11-10.

Bad example…..Bertrand graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering from Merrimack and was admitted to Virginia’s very competitive Commerce school for a Graduate program. He was doing that program there or somewhere else with or without lacrosse. Talk about a student athlete………some of these kids are just marking time taking classes because it’s only about lacrosse. He isn’t one of those.
The guys that went to Duke and ND were all graduate students and many had no other option of playing other than transferring. Lars gave Bertrand the Kology speech? Those Penn, Yale and Princeton guys weren’t “real students” like Charlie.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

harflax wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:41 pm Currently leading the poaching effort of 2022 verbally committed players is Lars. He was contacting players two weeks ago trying to get them to flip.
any word on inroads after this weekend?
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:31 am
harflax wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:41 pm Currently leading the poaching effort of 2022 verbally committed players is Lars. He was contacting players two weeks ago trying to get them to flip.
I heard at least two flipped later Monday afternoon. Wanted to see the results of the game first.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:37 am
I heard at least two flipped later Monday afternoon. Wanted to see the results of the game first.
He's still working through those 500+ text messages. :lol:

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

nice. some decent attrition graduating in 22 and 23.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:45 am
nice. some decent attrition graduating in 22 and 23.
My guess is 4 or 5 more will flip this week. Plenty of room....
dek

Post by dek »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:24 am

Bad example…..Bertrand graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering from Merrimack and was admitted to Virginia’s very competitive Commerce school for a Graduate program. He was doing that program there or somewhere else with or without lacrosse. Talk about a student athlete………some of these kids are just marking time taking classes because it’s only about lacrosse. He isn’t one of those.
The guys that went to Duke and ND were all graduate students and many had no other option of playing other than transferring. Lars gave Bertrand the Kology speech? Those Penn, Yale and Princeton guys weren’t “real students” like Charlie.
One transfer isn’t out of the ordinary for the Hoos. Some teams looked like they worked the transfer game much harder than others. Did it pay off for those teams in the end? Likely yes in some ways, likely no in others, but in the end, not enough to bring home the championship. No disrespect to Bertrand or any of the others making their grad school and athletic choices in very uncertain tImes.
Typical Lax Dad

dek wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:10 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:24 am

One transfer isn’t out of the ordinary for the Hoos. Some teams looked like they worked the transfer game much harder than others. Did it pay off for those teams in the end? Likely yes in some ways, likely no in others, but in the end, not enough to bring home the championship. No disrespect to Bertrand or any of the others making their grad school and athletic choices in very uncertain tImes.
Yep. This was an odd year. I don’t expect to see as many “big name” transfers this year.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Transfers @ 06-02-2021

Air Force - Sean Curcio (midfield)*** -> Drexel
Albany - Davis Diamond (attack) -> Lynn (D2), Kyle Casey (attack)**
Binghamton - Tom Galgano (defense)**
Bucknell - Matt Fedorjaka (midfield) - > Notre Dame
Canisius - Otto Bergmann (goalie)
Colgate - Mike Hawkins, A/M -> Notre Dame
Cornell - Jonathan Donville (midfield)**
Dartmouth - Peter Rizzotti (LSM), Danny Hincks (goalie)*
Detroit Mercy: Logan Shamblin (G)**
Drexel - Kyle DeCrispino (attack) -> Mount Saint Mary, Aidan Coll(offense)**
Harvard - Austin Madronic (attack)*
Hobart: Drew Blanchard (FO)**
Hofstra - Ben Stewart (midfield) -> Wagner
Hopkins - Owen Murphy, Brett Baskin (A/M)**, Luke Shilling (A)**
Lehigh - Matt Douglas (LSM/D) —>Norte Dame
Marist - Jake Weinman (attack)**
Michigan - Kevin Mack (attack)**, Alex Bucknavage (midfield)**
Monmouth: Chris Hervada (D)**
North Carolina - Will Bowen (defense)** -> Georgetown, Caton Johnson (goalie)-> OSU, Luke Millican (goalie)**
Notre Dame: Michael Drake (A/M)**, Matt Schmidt (goalie); Connor Morin (attack)**
Ohio State - Gerard Kane (attack) -> Hofstra, Drew Elder (FO) -> DII Tampa
Penn - Mitch Bartolo (A/M)**,Sean Lulley (attack)**
Providence - Toby Burgdorf (goalie)**
Richmond - Jax Popovich (FO) -> Boston U, Jason Reynolds (defense)—>Norte Dame, Tate Gallagher (M)**
Sacred Heart: Logan Liljeberg (A)**—>UMass
St. John’s - Dylan Willis (midfield)
Stony Brook:Daniel Cassidy (D)**
Towson - Casey Wasserman (midfield)->Utah
UMass - Luke Blanc (attack)
Villanova - Keegan Khan (attack)**, Owen PrybylskI (defense)**, Dan Fisher (FO)!, Stevie Peters (midfield)!, Brendan Haggerty (goalie)!
Virginia - Will Rock (LSM)**, Regan Quinn (midfield)**, Russell Maher (attack/midfield)
VMI - Jon Fant (attack) -> St Joseph’s
Yale - Nick Caccamo (defense) -> Syracuse

Division 2/3
Amherst (D3) - Gib Versfeld (goalie) -> Hopkins

Lynchburg (D3) - Tyler Gallagher (defense) ->OSU
Salisbury (D3) - Brad Apgar (defense)
SUNY (D3) - Matt DeMeo (midfield) -> Stony Brook
Wesleyan (D3) - Ronan Jacoby** (attack) -> Rutgers

* in the portal for the future 2023
** grad transfer
*** transfer from Air Force Prep
! For future 2022
BOLD most recent addition
—————————————

Also,
last complete prior season transfer listing,

viewtopic.php?p=186499#p186499

Source
His IG page
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Liljeberg is a good pickup for UMass, the right fit for
Cannella’s style.
A slight tell.
Taking a grad transfer, looks like Cannella is putting the
big push on with UMass next season, that he may believe
UMass missed a big opportunity this past season.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:56 am Liljeberg is a good pickup for UMass, the right fit for
Cannella’s style.
A slight tell.
Taking a grad transfer, looks like Cannella is putting the
big push on with UMass next season, that he may believe
UMass missed a big opportunity this past season.
I thought Cannella might have taken a shot at Owen Murphy from Hopkins. Maybe he still will. I think he's from Massachusetts.

They should be pretty good next year. They lose Trainor, Subboch, Devin Spencer and Billy Philpott but they get back Connelly who missed this season with an injury. I would imagine that Tobin and Eisenstadt will stay for a fifth year too.

Will be interesting to see who returns to the CAA. Seeing Aidan Coll in the portal surprised me a bit.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Transfers @ 06-02-2021

Air Force - Sean Curcio (midfield)*** -> Drexel
Albany - Davis Diamond (attack) -> Lynn (D2), Kyle Casey (attack)**
Binghamton - Tom Galgano (defense)**
Bucknell - Matt Fedorjaka (midfield) - > Notre Dame
Canisius - Otto Bergmann (goalie)
Colgate - Mike Hawkins, A/M -> Notre Dame
Cornell - Jonathan Donville (midfield)**
Dartmouth - Peter Rizzotti (LSM), Danny Hincks (goalie)*
Detroit Mercy: Logan Shamblin (G)**
Drexel - Kyle DeCrispino (attack) -> Mount Saint Mary, Aidan Coll(offense)**
Harvard - Austin Madronic (attack)*
Hobart: Drew Blanchard (FO)**
Hofstra - Ben Stewart (midfield) -> Wagner
Hopkins - Owen Murphy, Brett Baskin (A/M)**, Luke Shilling (A)**
Lehigh - Matt Douglas (LSM/D) —>Norte Dame
Marist - Jake Weinman (attack)**
Michigan - Kevin Mack (attack)**, Alex Bucknavage (midfield)**
Monmouth: Chris Hervada (D)**
North Carolina - Will Bowen (defense)** -> Georgetown, Caton Johnson (goalie)-> OSU, Luke Millican (goalie)**
Notre Dame: Michael Drake (A/M)**, Matt Schmidt (goalie); Connor Morin (attack)**
Ohio State - Gerard Kane (attack) -> Hofstra, Drew Elder (FO) -> DII Tampa
Penn - Mitch Bartolo (A/M)**,Sean Lulley (attack)**
Providence - Toby Burgdorf (goalie)**
Richmond - Jax Popovich (FO) -> Boston U, Jason Reynolds (defense)—>Norte Dame, Tate Gallagher (M)**
Sacred Heart: Logan Liljeberg (A)**—>UMass
St. John’s - Dylan Willis (midfield)
Stony Brook:Daniel Cassidy (D)**
Towson - Casey Wasserman (midfield)->Utah
UMass - Luke Blanc (attack)->Marquette
Villanova - Keegan Khan (attack)**, Owen PrybylskI (defense)**, Dan Fisher (FO)!, Stevie Peters (midfield)!, Brendan Haggerty (goalie)!
Virginia - Will Rock (LSM)**, Regan Quinn (midfield)**, Russell Maher (attack/midfield)
VMI - Jon Fant (attack) -> St Joseph’s
Yale - Nick Caccamo (defense) -> Syracuse

Division 2/3
Amherst (D3) - Gib Versfeld (goalie) -> Hopkins

Lynchburg (D3) - Tyler Gallagher (defense) ->OSU
Salisbury (D3) - Brad Apgar (defense)
SUNY (D3) - Matt DeMeo (midfield) -> Stony Brook
Wesleyan (D3) - Ronan Jacoby** (attack) -> Rutgers

* in the portal for the future 2023
** grad transfer
*** transfer from Air Force Prep
! For future 2022
BOLD most recent addition
—————————————

Also,
last complete prior season transfer listing,

viewtopic.php?p=186499#p186499
harflax

Post by harflax »

The coach I spoke to was not happy at all. If you are a mid-major coach and work your ass off to find and recruit a kid only to have an ACC school scoop them up late is a tough pill to swallow. It is part of current landscape in mens lacrosse but still a tough deal for mid-major coaches.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

harflax wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:26 pm

The coach I spoke to was not happy at all. If you are a mid-major coach and work your ass off to find and recruit a kid only to have an ACC school scoop them up late is a tough pill to swallow. It is part of current landscape in mens lacrosse but still a tough deal for mid-major coaches.
If a high school player, that’s fair game till they are signed. It’s that way in football, basketball, etc. Naso at Duke did it to Virginia so goes both ways. You recruit till you get them signed and delivered. Contacting a player enrolled would be something else.
Typical Lax Dad

blue angels wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:52 pm

If a high school player, that’s fair game till they are signed. It’s that way in football, basketball, etc. Naso at Duke did it to Virginia so goes both ways. You recruit till you get them signed and delivered. Contacting a player enrolled would be something else.
Thats right! You speak from experience.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

yeah. it sucks.

so question... if you were a kid and had a chance to go to school x, would you want to hear from them to weigh your options?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”