Maryland 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
44WeWantMore

Re: Maryland 2021

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Congrats on a great season, and something I have never done for a Terp team ...

... On that final final fast break off the face-off, I jumped up and wished the shot home.

This team was a special one.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Lost in all the shuffle,
national titles are the thing.

But I also like individual players,
Jared Bernhardt is what the USILA likes to label
“Truly Great Players.”

A national title in 2017, a runner up, a Final Four,
Player of the Year, and Bernhardt finishes with over
200 goals scored. He just missed becoming the first
Terp to score 100 points in a season. Imagine what
Bernhardt might have done in a more wide open offense.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

The offenses Jared played in were all tremendous. What do you mean more "wide open"?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:46 am The offenses Jared played in were all tremendous. What do you mean more "wide open"?
UVA, UNC, some others perhaps.

Bernhardt ended up 4th all time in goals scored,
really was the point though, and he’s got the resume.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:19 am
FlyEaglesFly wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:46 am The offenses Jared played in were all tremendous. What do you mean more "wide open"?
UVA, UNC, some others perhaps.

Bernhardt ended up 4th all time in goals scored,
really was the point though, and he’s got the resume.
https://lacrossereference.com/stats/pace-d1-men/
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jrn19 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:36 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:25 pm
PulpExposure wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:43 pm Not for nothing guys, but can we stop the "X seems like a douche" topic on this thread? Not related to Maryland....
Certainly would be more pleasant. :D

But sheesh, posters join in to (deservedly) compliment the UMD program, coaches, players, including those from opposing programs...and someone (happens to be Hop fan) decides to throw a bomb at the opponents coach, out of the blue...and of course that's going to give rise to an objection, then a UMD fan rides in somehow in defense; objector objects, and the UMD fan throws the bomb at him...

That's the only relationship to Maryland.
One fan, apparently with some history with the opposing fan who objected to the initial insult.

Here's a thought...how about congratulating the UVA program, coaches, and players?
It would be timely.
Then take it up with the Hopkins fan who called Lars a douche or whoever the hell said it. This is the Maryland board. There’s plenty of congratulations and praise for UVA wherever you want to look
I did.
Simple rolling eyes emoji and moved on.
I responded again when a UMD fan stepped in, not to push back on the Hop fan but rather at the UVA fan who objected.

Yes, this in the Maryland thread (not board) and the discussion had been primarily praise for Maryland's season etc, including from me. That was interrupted by the bomb at Tiffany...if this had happened on my alma mater's thread, same situation (I wish!) the reaction would have been to reject the bomb, pushback on that poster by alumni and other fans from my school.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

NYterp09 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:32 pm
PulpExposure wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:43 pm Not for nothing guys, but can we stop the "X seems like a douche" topic on this thread? Not related to Maryland....

But sheesh, posters join in to (deservedly) compliment the UMD program, coaches, players, including those from opposing programs...and someone (happens to be Hop fan) decides to throw a bomb at the opponents coach, out of the blue...and of course that's going to give rise to an objection, then a UMD fan rides in somehow in defense; objector objects, and the UMD fan throws the bomb at him...

One fan, apparently with some history with the opposing fan who objected to the initial insult.

Here's a thought...how about congratulating the UVA program, coaches, and players?
It would be timely.
Relax dude nothing that was said was a “bomb,” stop being so dramatic. And Virginia deserves plenty of praise, but that’s what the Virginia board is for.

I’d also like to again point out the obvious that I literally never defended calling Lars a douche.
If "douchebag" isn't a bomb, I don't know what you'd call it..."butthurt" is pretty juvenile as well. It isn't "dramatic" to call that out. You attacked the UVA fan who objected to his team's coach being called a "douchebag" on this thread, ignoring the initial offense and objecting to the UVA's fan right to object. Yeah, that's a "defense" of the first offense.

No one came on here to insult UMD, quite the opposite. Known UVA fans complimented UMD...sportsmanship and IMO deserved respect for an opponent.

The classy response is to compliment in return, not defend an offensive statement about the opponent.

It's a choice.

You can still choose.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

blue angels wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:51 pm
molo wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:38 pm Congratulations to Maryland on a great season. Hope to see them again next May.
Agreed.Congratulations to a fantastic Maryland Team on one of the greatest runs in recent times. I wasn't at the game, but really respected watching Tillman on the broadcast showing so much grace and sportsmanship after such a grueling hard fought game. He gets what's important and will be back sooner than later. It ain't just about the wins. Will we ever see a Final 4 and championship game with as much talent as this year? both of these teams would be champs in most years....I think doubtful we see their like again soon.
+1
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

The 2021 Tewaaraton Award ceremony will be held on Saturday, June 5. It will air live on NBC Sports Network during halftime of the PLL game between Whipsnakes LC and Chaos LC, scheduled to begin at 5 p.m. EST at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts. The presentation will include both the men’s and women’s awards.
terp talk

Re: Maryland 2021--is The Final Four a Flawed Concept

Post by terp talk »

Let me begin by saying that yes unfortunately UVA was the better team yesterday and deserved the Victory and title that went with it.
However, after the last 14 years the jammed up Final Four Concept is flawed. All 8 years, The Terps have reached the Final Four they were placed in the 2nd game on Saturday. the Terps are 1-5 in the Title games and the other 8 teams that won Saturday's nightcap are 1-7. This not a statistical coincidence. If I was Tillman, I would have been infuriated with the "Committee" doing this again to Maryland. Tils always takes the high road, but this is the fact.

Even Quint said during the Duke blowout, (paraphrasing) that UVA got in an extra meal and was relaxing at the hotel, while the Coaches were picking apart the video of the game. This even goes back to 2011 when the games were played in 100 plus temperatures and UVA had the same advantage on Monday.

If it's the slightest edge in effecting the game it's wrong.

The solution: there should be a SemiFinal Saturday the week before Memorial Day. What a huge event it would be--maybe at the Naval Academy every year. Then each team would have 8 days off to prepare for Memorial Day.

Year after year the "Committee" burns the Terps. The Towson's AD explanation for the #3 Seeding made no sense. Really, Duke #2 ahead of Maryland? We saw how that played out.

Anyway, Congrats to John Tillman, clearly the Best Coach in Lacrosse over the past 10 years. To win your conference's Regular Season Title, the Conference Tournament, the quarter final and semi final are accomplishments that some Coaches never achieve in a career, let alone a year. Before we can blink our eyes, odds are the Terps return to Hartford next year.

And to the incomparable talent of Jared Bernhardt, I anxiously his crowning as Tewaaraton Winner in front of his brotherhood of Terps --the Whipsnakes on Saturday. Jared is a generational talent and a first class individual as his brothers are as well

BETHE BEST
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:59 am

It would be timely.
Relax dude nothing that was said was a “bomb,” stop being so dramatic. And Virginia deserves plenty of praise, but that’s what the Virginia board is for.

I’d also like to again point out the obvious that I literally never defended calling Lars a douche.
If "douchebag" isn't a bomb, I don't know what you'd call it..."butthurt" is pretty juvenile as well. It isn't "dramatic" to call that out. You attacked the UVA fan who objected to his team's coach being called a "douchebag" on this thread, ignoring the initial offense and objecting to the UVA's fan right to object. Yeah, that's a "defense" of the first offense.

No one came on here to insult UMD, quite the opposite. Known UVA fans complimented UMD...sportsmanship and IMO deserved respect for an opponent.

The classy response is to compliment in return, not defend an offensive statement about the opponent.

It's a choice.

You can still choose.
Give me a freaking break dude. Maybe the internet just isn’t for you if something as dumb as nyjay’s original comment is going to get your panties in a bunch. I hope this “attack” doesn’t ruin your night.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

NYterp09 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:00 pm

It would be timely.

It's a choice.

You can still choose.
Give me a freaking break dude. Maybe the internet just isn’t for you if something as dumb as nyjay’s original comment is going to get your panties in a bunch. I hope this “attack” doesn’t ruin your night.
:D "panties in a bunch"?
Yeah, some anonymous internet 'dudes' love to insult in ways they'd never do to your face without an expectation of a fist. Bullies and Cowards, IMO...I prefer to treat others the way I'd like to be treated, expect to be treated in person...and anyone who does even a bit of investigation can figure out who I am. That's on purpose...keeps me calmer, more polite to others.

Again, it's a choice.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

terp talk wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:30 pm Let me begin by saying that yes unfortunately UVA was the better team yesterday and deserved the Victory and title that went with it.
However, after the last 14 years the jammed up Final Four Concept is flawed. All 8 years, The Terps have reached the Final Four they were placed in the 2nd game on Saturday. the Terps are 1-5 in the Title games and the other 8 teams that won Saturday's nightcap are 1-7. This not a statistical coincidence. If I was Tillman, I would have been infuriated with the "Committee" doing this again to Maryland. Tils always takes the high road, but this is the fact.

Even Quint said during the Duke blowout, (paraphrasing) that UVA got in an extra meal and was relaxing at the hotel, while the Coaches were picking apart the video of the game. This even goes back to 2011 when the games were played in 100 plus temperatures and UVA had the same advantage on Monday.

The solution: there should be a SemiFinal Saturday the week before Memorial Day. What a huge event it would be--maybe at the Naval Academy every year. Then each team would have 8 days off to prepare for Memorial Day.

Year after year the "Committee" burns the Terps. The Towson's AD explanation for the #3 Seeding made no sense. Really, Duke #2 ahead of Maryland? We saw how that played out.

Anyway, Congrats to John Tillman, clearly the Best Coach in Lacrosse over the past 10 years. To win your conference's Regular Season Title, the Conference Tournament, the quarter final and semi final are accomplishments that some Coaches never achieve in a career, let alone a year. Before we can blink our eyes, odds are the Terps return to Hartford next year.

And to the incomparable talent of Jared Bernhardt, I anxiously his crowning as Tewaaraton Winner in front of his brotherhood of Terps --the Whipsnakes on Saturday. Jared is a generational talent and a first class individual as his brothers are as well

BETHE BEST
That's a very interesting stat!

I don't think I'd buy it as an excuse for losing (and you're not using it that way), but I agree with everything you said positive about Tillman and Bernhardt.

Separate topic, did it actually make a difference who was #2 and who was seeded #3?...they played at the same time, against each other, right? Whereas UVA had to upset the #1 team on Saturday?

Bottomline, what a game! And a great tournament overall.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

terp talk wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:30 pm Let me begin by saying that yes unfortunately UVA was the better team yesterday and deserved the Victory and title that went with it.

Indeed. if you look on page 1 of the Re: 2021 National Championship UVA vs UMD thread, I wrote:
FannOLax wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:51 am
blue angels wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:28 am

Virginia probably shouldn't even bother to show up.........Just get back to Charlottesville and call it a good year.
Right. Just like Virginia shouldn't have bothered to show up against Yale in 2019. In 2019, UVa played in the first semi-final, got a few more hours' rest than Yale (an advantage Yale enjoyed in 2018). This year, the Hoos played the first semi-final...
I like your idea of playing the D1 semi-finals a week or so before the final. With the men's D2 and D3 finals also on Memorial Day weekend, that could be enough games for one venue over the long weekend; or even move the one or more of the women's finals to the same venue. I don't like using the first versus second semi-final as an excuse, but I think your 1-5 and 1-7 statistics are very telling.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

FannOLax wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:19 pm

Indeed. if you look on page 1 of the Re: 2021 National Championship UVA vs UMD thread, I wrote:
FannOLax wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:51 am
blue angels wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:28 am

Virginia probably shouldn't even bother to show up.........Just get back to Charlottesville and call it a good year.
Right. Just like Virginia shouldn't have bothered to show up against Yale in 2019. In 2019, UVa played in the first semi-final, got a few more hours' rest than Yale (an advantage Yale enjoyed in 2018). This year, the Hoos played the first semi-final...
I like your idea of playing the D1 semi-finals a week or so before the final. With the men's D2 and D3 finals also on Memorial Day weekend, that could be enough games for one venue over the long weekend; or even move the one or more of the women's finals to the same venue. I don't like using the first versus second semi-final as an excuse, but I think your 1-5 and 1-7 statistics are very telling.
It goes back further than that. It’s something like 3-14 dating back to 2004. I don’t think it’s why Maryland lost but it’s pretty damming as far as the impact IMO.
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:45 pm

It would be timely.

It's a choice.

You can still choose.
Yeah, some anonymous internet 'dudes' love to insult in ways they'd never do to your face without an expectation of a fist. Bullies and Cowards, IMO...I prefer to treat others the way I'd like to be treated, expect to be treated in person...and anyone who does even a bit of investigation can figure out who I am. That's on purpose...keeps me calmer, more polite to others.

Again, it's a choice.
If anything that’s been said on here is enough for you to start a fight then you should probably go to some anger management classes...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

NYterp09 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:31 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:45 pm

It would be timely.

It's a choice.

You can still choose.

Again, it's a choice.
If anything that’s been said on here is enough for you to start a fight then you should probably go to some anger management classes...

"start a fight" :roll:

"douchebag, douche, butthurt, panties"...yeah, 'dude', say this to someone's face and expect a bounce back well worse. Don't expect the other guy to be as cowardly as your behavior.

Pretty simple, treat others as you'd want to be treated. Even as an anonymous poster on a school thread in a lacrosse forum on the internet.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

I apologize for interrupting this absolutely riveting battle of wits.

I am really interested to see what Tillman is going to do with this squad next year. Maybe it is too early to begin this discussion, but this team has a TON of talent returning and a TON of talent coming in.

The Terps are losing some big-time impact players this year including Griffin Brown, Jared Bernhardt, Eric Holden and Nick Grill. But they've also got a bunch of seniors that have been granted an extra year. That would include Puglise, Fairman, Wisnauskas, Higgins, Morris, Shockey, Smith, DeMaio, Rahill, Martelucci, Trucksess.

From a good news perspective Tillman had a very manageable roster of just 49 players. Should all of these seniors decide to return (I can't imagine Morris would with the glut of goalie talent in front of him) for a 5th year, the Terps roster would balloon to 59 players with the 14 incoming frosh, which includes EIGHT 4/5 star recruits.

AND, Tillman has never shied away from transfers (There are 8 transfers on this year's team - Brown - Colgate, Wisnauskus - Syracuse, Holden- Hobart, Grill - Marquette, Higgins - Cleveland State, Trucksess - Lehigh, Brandau - Gtown and Burlace - Yale).

Who do the Terps turn to in order to fill in for the departing 4. I could see them moving Kyle Long to attack, or perhaps Malever to replace Bernhardt. But does Tillman hit up the transfer portal to fill this gap and keep Long at middie and Malever as a back-up attackman?

I am sure that Keegan Khan is an intriguing prospect as a replacement for Bernhardt. Does Tillman look at Khan's teammate Owen Prybylski to fill in for Grill?

Lots of questions for 2022. But I would imagine Tillman will be extremely judicious in his use of the portal. Great incoming class and lots of returning impact players. There is no way he extends the roster to 59 players. There will be fallout, as there is every year.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Henpecked wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:56 pm I apologize for interrupting this absolutely riveting battle of wits.

I am really interested to see what Tillman is going to do with this squad next year. Maybe it is too early to begin this discussion, but this team has a TON of talent returning and a TON of talent coming in.

The Terps are losing some big-time impact players this year including Griffin Brown, Jared Bernhardt, Eric Holden and Nick Grill. But they've also got a bunch of seniors that have been granted an extra year. That would include Puglise, Fairman, Wisnauskas, Higgins, Morris, Shockey, Smith, DeMaio, Rahill, Martelucci, Trucksess.

From a good news perspective Tillman had a very manageable roster of just 49 players. Should all of these seniors decide to return (I can't imagine Morris would with the glut of goalie talent in front of him) for a 5th year, the Terps roster would balloon to 59 players with the 14 incoming frosh, which includes EIGHT 4/5 star recruits.

AND, Tillman has never shied away from transfers (There are 8 transfers on this year's team - Brown - Colgate, Wisnauskus - Syracuse, Holden- Hobart, Grill - Marquette, Higgins - Cleveland State, Trucksess - Lehigh, Brandau - Gtown and Burlace - Yale).

Who do the Terps turn to in order to fill in for the departing 4. I could see them moving Kyle Long to attack, or perhaps Malever to replace Bernhardt. But does Tillman hit up the transfer portal to fill this gap and keep Long at middie and Malever as a back-up attackman?

I am sure that Keegan Khan is an intriguing solution for Bernhardt. Does Tillman look at Khan's teammate Owen Prybylski to fill in for Grill?

Lots of questions for 2022. But I would imagine Tillman will be extremely judicious in his use of the portal. Great incoming class and lots of returning impact players. There is no way he extends the roster to 59 players.
I imagine we see a natural roster attrition that always occurs and means it doesn’t get up to 59. And then like we saw last year there will be former 4/5 star who don’t have an obvious path to playing time who choose to go elsewhere. Just how it goes.

Assuming as the smoke has blown that DeMaio doesn’t take his 6th year but Fairman does, and that Donville is coming in you see I think Fairman-Long-Donville as your 1st midfield. There’s a lot of advantages to running Long out of the box and getting him matched up on a short stick that he can exploit or drawing a slide from a pole on a mismatch.

Then Malever-Maltz-Wisnauskas at attack with Malever at X. Obviously there’s some rumors around Khan. I don’t think they need him per se with how Malever played as a freshman, but based on what they did at the end of the championship with Malever at attack there is an appetite for more dodging down low and you get Malever-Khan-Wisnauskas. But again that’s dependent on Khan transferring and while I’ve heard some smoke in that regard I can’t say it’s for sure.

I think as for defense we don’t see any transfers. Wouldn’t say for sure; but if Rahill returns you have him and Makar back and then Schirtzer coming in as a 5-star off a post grad year so he’s older. Zapitello got time as the year went on and played well. Also Colin Burlace as a near 5-star at close. They have a lot of depth at pole right now that means they’ll plug someone internally in there.

I expect we see one more attack/midfielder in addition to Donville and then probably a FOGO. I think that’s the most pressing need in the portal to find. And then from there you see natural attrition or other guys enter the portal when they see a spot hasn’t lined up and you get a roster of maybe 54-55 as opposed to 59.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

BETHE BEST

+1

This is a great post.

Tillman deserves more. The Terps should have been ranked #1 coming in, and that’s yet one more reason they’ve been snakebit.

(Completely unrelated, but that girl Charlotte North of BC shoots pretty gd well....whoa...).

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”