Transfer Portal 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
SkipPass

Re: Transfer Portal 2022

Post by SkipPass »

Sidelinehorn! wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:13 am
SkipPass wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:13 am The kid that committed to your school in the 11th grade or earlier gets screwed out of playing time because the kid that didn’t commit is now available. I hope Corrigan and his ilk continue to have the “success” they are so well known for...
Imagine having the arrogance to think your kid deserves playing time?

Welcome to D1 lax
Nothing arrogant about it. Sorry Jr. - those 12 kids that were supposed to graduate - they are staying - oh yeah -we’re bringing in 5 more transfers. You can’t dress or travel. Sorry it didn’t work out for you...
lilax

Post by lilax »

SkipPass wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:54 am
SkipPass wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:13 am The kid that committed to your school in the 11th grade or earlier gets screwed out of playing time because the kid that didn’t commit is now available. I hope Corrigan and his ilk continue to have the “success” they are so well known for...

Welcome to D1 lax
Nothing arrogant about it. Sorry Jr. - those 12 kids that were supposed to graduate - they are staying - oh yeah -we’re bringing in 5 more transfers. You can’t dress or travel. Sorry it didn’t work out for you...
Just because you commit to a big time program, does not me you are owed anything. Show up and compete for a spot. And the majority of the time recruits shouldn't worry about what's there already, they should be more worried about who's committing in the classes after them.

At the end of the day, it is win now or get shown the door in college athletics. Therefore if a coach thinks he can improve his team with transfers, so be it. Same goes for the kids. If they think the grass is greener somewhere else, expect them to go for it.

There are no loyalties, only results.

I don't like it, but that's how athletics are run these days.
SkipPass

Post by SkipPass »

lilax wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:09 pm

Welcome to D1 lax
Just because you commit to a big time program, does not me you are owed anything. Show up and compete for a spot. And the majority of the time recruits shouldn't worry about what's there already, they should be more worried about who's committing in the classes after them.

At the end of the day, it is win now or get shown the door in college athletics. Therefore if a coach thinks he can improve his team with transfers, so be it. Same goes for the kids. If they think the grass is greener somewhere else, expect them to go for it.

Well - that’s a sad statement about a non-revenue generating niche sport.

The Denver & Duke free-agent experiment didn’t work. Corrigan could have Jim Brown in his prime on the roster and still couldn’t win a NC.
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

Welcome to D1 lax

Bingo..Your child is entitled to NOTHING...Helicopter parents have become Snowplow Parents...

Do your kids a favor and stop telling them how special they are...Special to you YES...but to the world not so much.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Sidelinehorn! wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:39 pm

Welcome to D1 lax

Bingo..Your child is entitled to NOTHING...Helicopter parents have become Snowplow Parents...

Do your kids a favor and stop telling them how special they are...Special to you YES...but to the world not so much.
No issue with kids having to compete for playing time. I will say, wins and losses don’t generally get coaches fired in lacrosse. It can happen but college lacrosse coaches get a lot of rope. This isn’t basketball or football. Off the field issues is usually a clearer path to being fired.
“I wish you would!”
lilax

Post by lilax »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:46 pm
Sidelinehorn! wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:39 pm

Welcome to D1 lax

No issue with kids having to compete for playing time. I will say, wins and losses don’t generally get coaches fired in lacrosse. It can happen but college lacrosse coaches get a lot of rope. This isn’t basketball or football. Off the field issues is usually a clearer path to being fired.
I think more AD's are starting to pay attention to lacrosse because more money is going into the programs. If Big 10 schools are willing to build lacrosse-only facilities, they're going to expect better results.

But unlike football and basketball, the fall from a D1 job can be very severe.

You're talking about going from 6 figures or close to it, to 30k-40k a year.
SkipPass

Post by SkipPass »

[/quote]

Spoken like a true tough guy keyboard warrior. 😂
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

AreaLax wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:52 am Transfers @ 05-29-2021

Air Force - Sean Curcio (midfield)*** -> Drexel
Albany - Davis Diamond (attack) -> Lynn (D2), Kyle Casey (attack)**
Binghamton - Tom Galgano (defense)**
Bucknell - Matt Fedorjaka (midfield) - > Notre Dame
Canisius - Otto Bergmann (goalie)
Colgate - Mike Hawkins, A/M -> Notre Dame
Cornell - Jonathan Donville (midfield)**
Dartmouth - Peter Rizzotti (LSM), Danny Hincks (goalie)*
Detroit Mercy: Logan Shamblin (G)**
Drexel - Kyle DeCrispino (attack) -> Mount Saint Mary, Aidan Coll(offense)**
Harvard - Austin Madronic (attack)*
Hobart: Drew Blanchard (FO)**
Hofstra - Ben Stewart (midfield) -> Wagner
Hopkins - Owen Murphy, Brett Baskin (A/M)**, Luke Shilling (A)**
Lehigh - Matt Douglas (LSM/D) —>Norte Dame
Marist - Jake Weinman (attack)**
Michigan - Kevin Mack (attack)**, Alex Bucknavage (midfield)**
Monmouth: Chris Hervada (D)**
North Carolina - Will Bowen (defense)** -> Georgetown, Caton Johnson (goalie)-> OSU, Luke Millican (goalie)**
Notre Dame: Michael Drake (A/M)**, Matt Schmidt (goalie); Connor Morin (attack)**
Ohio State - Gerard Kane (attack) -> Hofstra, Drew Elder (FO) -> DII Tampa
Penn - Mitch Bartolo (A/M)**, Sean Lulley (attack)**
Providence - Toby Burgdorf (goalie)**
Richmond - Jax Popovich (FO) -> Boston U, Jason Reynolds (defense)—>Norte Dame, Tate Gallagher (M)**
Sacred Heart: Logan Liljeberg (A)**
St. John’s - Dylan Willis (midfield)
Stony Brook: Daniel Cassidy (D)**
Towson - Casey Wasserman (midfield)->Utah
UMass - Luke Blanc (attack)
Villanova - Keegan Khan (attack)**, Owen PrybylskI (defense)**, Dan Fisher (FO)!, Stevie Peters (midfield)!, Brendan Haggerty (goalie)!
Virginia - Will Rock (LSM)**, Regan Quinn (midfield)**, Russell Maher (attack/midfield)
VMI - Jon Fant (attack) -> St Joseph’s
Yale - Nick Caccamo (defense) -> Syracuse

Division 2/3
Amherst (D3) - Gib Versfeld (goalie) -> Hopkins

Lynchburg (D3) - Tyler Gallagher (defense) ->OSU
Salisbury (D3) - Brad Apgar (defense)
SUNY (D3) - Matt DeMeo (midfield) -> Stony Brook
Wesleyan (D3) - Ronan Jacoby** (attack) -> Rutgers

* in the portal for the future 2023
** grad transfer
*** transfer from Air Force Prep
! For future 2022
BOLD most recent addition
—————————————

Also,
last complete prior season transfer listing,

viewtopic.php?p=186499#p186499

Source

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ears/58004
This is a pretty good list but many more are in there. I can't mention any names but want to provide some insight into the transfer portal.
Since Jan 1 of this year in the D1 Portal, 187 players have entered with about 100 of those entering since May 1st. The numbers have slowed down with about 10 added in the last week, I think we may see a few players from the final four teams but what is in there is probably it for now. A little over 90 of them are graduate students, and as someone who has looked into most of them, I would comfortably say 80 percent are players who have not seen significant playing time so far in their careers. The other 20 percent are what I would call impact players with many of them listed above. I believe we will see much less impact from the portal than we did last year. There are good players in there but if you are a contributor on a good team why leave, unless you are trying to upgrade the experience or degree or both. We will see.
GSP

Post by GSP »

Welcome to D1 lax

Typical straw man argument. No one is saying anyone is owed anything but a chance to compete.
Your own PGs or redshirts - no problem.
One transfer here and there - no problem.
But I would never allow my kid to play for a coach that does that poaching nonsense like Corrigan or Tierney for a number of reasons, none of which have anything to do with my kid's playing time.
1st- It does not work because it is stupid!
2nd- For 98% of students, Athletics are for learning about life so why would I want my kid to learn life lessons from someone who is both unintelligent and incompetent?
3rd- When recruiting, he failed to identify talent and either recruited the wrong guys or was too incompetent to competently coach up the right ones.
4th - Danowski aside, is it a coincidence, that the identical guys who scream and consistently blame the refs the loudest for their own team's lack of success (Corrigan and Tierney) are the same ones who blame their players by consistently feeling the NEED to poach players who have already been coached up by other lacrosse coaches to field a decent team? "The guys they recruited and coached up are not good enough to compete so they need to get other players that a more intelligent coach was able to successfully identify and a more competent coach was able to coach up"
RURICK

Post by RURICK »

jldlax, What are you talking about? Rutgers only had and played 2 grad transfers, the kirst brothers. Connor was an All american middie from villanova and switched to attack. Colin was the back up goalie at lehigh and blossomed at rutgers into one of the best goalies into the country. what is egregious about what rutgers did?
Typical Lax Dad

RURICK wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:39 pm jldlax, What are you talking about? Rutgers only had and played 2 grad transfers, the kirst brothers. Connor was an All american middie from villanova and switched to attack. Colin was the back up goalie at lehigh and blossomed at rutgers into one of the best goalies into the country. what is egregious about what rutgers did?
I believe family considerations factored into their transfers.
“I wish you would!”
lagerhead

Post by lagerhead »

Heard a coach once tell a group that as soon as he gets you to sign the NLI he is looking for your replacement.
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

GSP wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:30 pm

Welcome to D1 lax

Typical straw man argument. No one is saying anyone is owed anything but a chance to compete.
But I would never allow my kid to play for a coach that does that poaching nonsense like Corrigan or Tierney for a number of reasons, none of which have anything to do with my kid's playing time.
2nd- For 98% of students, Athletics are for learning about life so why would I want my kid to learn life lessons from someone who is both unintelligent and incompetent?
3rd- When recruiting, he failed to identify talent and either recruited the wrong guys or was too incompetent to competently coach up the right ones.
4th - Danowski aside, is it a coincidence, that the identical guys who scream and consistently blame the refs the loudest for their own team's lack of success (Corrigan and Tierney) are the same ones who blame their players by consistently feeling the NEED to poach players who have already been coached up by other lacrosse coaches to field a decent team? "The guys they recruited and coached up are not good enough to compete so they need to get other players that a more intelligent coach was able to successfully identify and a more competent coach was able to coach up"
I noticed you didn't mention Tillman...great coach and person who gets A TON of transfers (doesn't fit your narrative). You think those guys just show up? You and Skippass are just sour grapes...go have a beer together and talk about the good old days...
RURICK

Post by RURICK »

The Kirsts' father played for rutgers, became a coaching legend in NJ high school, and then died. They were just coming home.
Typical Lax Dad

RURICK wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:02 pm The Kirsts' father played for rutgers, became a coaching legend in NJ high school, and then died. They were just coming home.
Yes. Partly a family decision. Nice to see the brothers have a chance to play together.
“I wish you would!”
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Welcome to D1 lax

Haha OMG GSP. Maryland had 2 grad transfers on 2nd midfield and a transfer starting on defense. And John Tillman is the best coach in lacrosse.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i blame rutgers for starting the arms race in the b1g.
duke and notre dame in the acc. syracuse made it popular.
and denver now forcing gtown to step in with a big time transfer in the big east.
head73

Post by head73 »

Further, the '21 Terp roster shows 2 grad students. Another 7 players are transfers from other schools and were undergraduates in '21. None of Notre Dame's players transferred into Notre Dame without a degree from another school; i.e. those listed as grad students. Who is doing the poaching?
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

RURICK wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:39 pm jldlax, What are you talking about? Rutgers only had and played 2 grad transfers, the kirst brothers. Connor was an All american middie from villanova and switched to attack. Colin was the back up goalie at lehigh and blossomed at rutgers into one of the best goalies into the country. what is egregious about what rutgers did?
I stand corrected as I thought that RU had more grad transfers. And yes it is understandable regarding the family connection.
GSP

Post by GSP »

Sidelinehorn! wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:00 pm

Welcome to D1 lax

I noticed you didn't mention Tillman...great coach and person who gets A TON of transfers (doesn't fit your narrative). You think those guys just show up? You and Skippass are just sour grapes...go have a beer together and talk about the good old days...
Quite right. Tillman seems to be a gentleman and a decent man. However one might wonder if that poaching habit to which he has fallen prey, is one of the determinants for him being 1 for 6 in Championship games. Poaching does not foster team unity.

Your "go have a beer" snark seems childish but your "sour grapes" comment seems positively incoherent in light of my being a die hard, never miss a game, fan of the "We don't need no bunch of stinkin' transfers," Virginia Cavaliers who have just won back to back CHAMPIONSHIPS. One can only hope that Pat Riley will not initiate trademark infringement action when the Cavs hoist their THREEPEAT banner next May! Best regards,

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”