Transfer Portal

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dasher

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by Dasher »

If you wanted to know what THE TRANSFER PORTAL looks like in Women's BASKETBALL

"It was gonna be a mess from the beginning, and it's a mess now, and it's going to be a bigger mess each and every year," Geno Auriemma said Wednesday morning via Zoom. "A lot of these kids are delusional. You know, they have so many voices in their ear."

Auriemma said he was told that about 1,000 athletes are in the portal and an estimated 200 had not been contacted by anybody and wouldn't be going back to their original schools.

"The transfer portal is great for, you know, a kid who knows where they're going, which means they were thinking about it a while back, who has a place ready for them, a spot ready for them," Auriemma said.

"There's something wrong with the recruiting system, there's something wrong with the culture of college basketball today, there's something wrong with the entitlement that happens to exist today," he said.

"And there's something wrong with this idea of, you know, student-athlete welfare, that everything should be done to accommodate the student-athlete, with no regard whatsoever to the coaches who work their ass off, to recruit these kids in the first place, work with them, help them get better, make them the player that they are. And then they up and leave with no consequences whatsoever."

Auriemma then gave a scenario in which the roles were reversed.

"If we, as coaches, just call a kid in and say, 'Look, you know, I thought you'd be a lot better than this. So I'm taking away your scholarship,' we will get crucified," he said. "But yet a kid can just up and leave for no reason whatsoever. Other than, 'I just don't want to be here anymore. I don't like it here anymore.' OK. So, yeah, there's a time when it's absolutely positively appropriate for a kid to have to make a change. Believe me, I've been on both sides of where kids have left here. And where kids have come in. I've been on both sides."
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

All good points and clearly he is living it, but I would say that like many tools, the portal can be used as intended or misused.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:09 pm All good points and clearly he is living it, but I would say that like many tools, the portal can be used as intended or misused.
Look how it is decimating Syracuse Women's Basketball. 11 players entered the portal. This has to be very concerning to the coach, the AD and the school.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/04/22/k ... fer-portal
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

11 out of 14 players rostered . Nuts
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

also decimated the Penn State men's basketball team
Snog

Post by Snog »

There is also going to be a rude awakening when it comes to available scholarship money. Most is already given to existing and incoming players, there is very little left over for transfers coming in.
watcherinthewoods

The Syracuse AD should be concerned. What might make 11 of 14 players transfer? Seems like something is not right. PSU men Bball is having a coaching change, so that might explain that situation. In both cases (potentially toxic culture, coaching change) the portal empowers the student athletes to explore their options.

Agree on scholarship money. But fair or not, those deals are renewable on an annual basis.

For me, I always wondered what might make a 5th year leave a program they have been part of for 4 years (i.e. Mueller, Huff, Miller). I guess there many good reasons (starting with financial), but if the NCAA fairy had given me one more year to wear my jersey at my school, I would have run through a wall to make it happen.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:45 pm For me, I always wondered what might make a 5th year leave a program they have been part of for 4 years (i.e. Mueller, Huff, Miller). I guess there many good reasons (starting with financial), but if the NCAA fairy had given me one more year to wear my jersey at my school, I would have run through a wall to make it happen.
At least one of those mentioned above left her University because they didn't have the graduate program she wanted or something to do with the Graduate versus the Bachelors degree at that institution...and she went to a better team.
watcherinthewoods

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:44 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:45 pm For me, I always wondered what might make a 5th year leave a program they have been part of for 4 years (i.e. Mueller, Huff, Miller). I guess there many good reasons (starting with financial), but if the NCAA fairy had given me one more year to wear my jersey at my school, I would have run through a wall to make it happen.
At least one of those mentioned above left her University because they didn't have the graduate program she wanted or something to do with the Graduate versus the Bachelors degree at that institution...and she went to a better team.
As I said, many good reasons.
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:45 pm The Syracuse AD should be concerned. What might make 11 of 14 players transfer? Seems like something is not right. PSU men Bball is having a coaching change, so that might explain that situation. In both cases (potentially toxic culture, coaching change) the portal empowers the student athletes to explore their options.

Agree on scholarship money. But fair or not, those deals are renewable on an annual basis.

For me, I always wondered what might make a 5th year leave a program they have been part of for 4 years (i.e. Mueller, Huff, Miller). I guess there many good reasons (starting with financial), but if the NCAA fairy had given me one more year to wear my jersey at my school, I would have run through a wall to make it happen.
Academics first. Not that easy to match field of study, one or two year program, and career enhancing as you might think and existing schools don't always have what you're looking for. Not saying a chance to go deep in the tourney wasn't part of the equation, just not the driver for most of the girls.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

I don't think it's a coincidence that each one of these players transferred to a school with a chance to contend for a national title (I know, Stony Brook with Huff but, bear with me). What if they just wanted to go to a winning program serious about challenging for a title and experience that before graduating?
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

Cletus wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:22 pm
I don't think it's a coincidence that each one of these players transferred to a school with a chance to contend for a national title (I know, Stony Brook with Huff but, bear with me). What if they just wanted to go to a winning program serious about challenging for a title and experience that before graduating?
Well the great thing about women’s lacrosse is you can do both!
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:44 pm
* describes my kid who will be in the portal next year
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

"We spoke with Hall yesterday, she was all smiles. You could feel the energy from her. She's so excited to be here. She watched that 2019 game on her couch. She said she was texting Charlotte North and said that's where we gotta go. We need to go there and be on that team if we want a chance to do that."

--Sheehan Stanwick Burch during the BC Carolina game

Zo, players endeavor to and do enter ze portal knowing exactly where dey are goink. Veddy interestink (and contrary to what I've read in certain places under this topic...)

Bart

Post by Bart »

Cletus wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:31 pm "We spoke with Hall yesterday, she was all smiles. You could feel the energy from her. She's so excited to be here. She watched that 2019 game on her couch. She said she was texting Charlotte North and said that's where we gotta go. We need to go there and be on that team if we want a chance to do that."

Zo, players endeavor to and do enter ze portal knowing exactly where dey are goink. Veddy interestink (and contrary to what I've read in certain places under this topic...)

There is a huge difference between a kid thinking that and getting a confirmed offer by a coach prior to entering the portal. That was the discussion. Coaches can not talk to a player until after they are in the portal.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Bart wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:09 pm
Cletus wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:31 pm "We spoke with Hall yesterday, she was all smiles. You could feel the energy from her. She's so excited to be here. She watched that 2019 game on her couch. She said she was texting Charlotte North and said that's where we gotta go. We need to go there and be on that team if we want a chance to do that."

There is a huge difference between a kid thinking that and getting a confirmed offer by a coach prior to entering the portal. That was the discussion. Coaches can not talk to a player until after they are in the portal.
No, no--two kids thinking that and talking together about going to the same school--together, and then ending up there months later--together. I didn't say anything about coaches, nor did SSB in the clip.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Cletus wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:49 pm
Bart wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:09 pm

No, no--two kids thinking that and talking together about going to the same school--together, and then ending up there months later--together. I didn't say anything about coaches, nor did SSB in the clip.
You indicated in your first point the kid knew exactly where she was going prior to entering the portal. This kid knew exactly where she wanted to go. Not exactly where she was going. My kid could text her friend all week and say she has gotta go to BC now and be apart of that prior to entering the portal. Enter the portal and sit like a lump of coal in a Christmas stocking. Your first statement insinuates that she was gong to go to BC no matter what and you do not know that as much as I don't know the opposite.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Bart wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:58 am You indicated in your first point the kid knew exactly where she was going prior to entering the portal. This kid knew exactly where she wanted to go. Not exactly where she was going. My kid could text her friend all week and say she has gotta go to BC now and be apart of that prior to entering the portal. Enter the portal and sit like a lump of coal in a Christmas stocking. Your first statement insinuates that she was gong to go to BC no matter what and you do not know that as much as I don't know the opposite.
That was certainly the outcome. They both ended up where they wanted to be. You draw your conclusions from what SSB related, and I’ll draw mine.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

Speaking of transfer, today Molly Carter from Syracuse announced her transfer to Pitt for her 2 remaining years of eligibility and to pursue a masters degree. Pitt has definitely gotten a number of notable transfers recently, excited to see what they bring to the ACC
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

glaxer24 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:29 am Speaking of transfer, today Molly Carter from Syracuse announced her transfer to Pitt for her 2 remaining years of eligibility and to pursue a masters degree. Pitt has definitely gotten a number of notable transfers recently, excited to see what they bring to the ACC
Good for her! I always liked Molly Carter but she faded into obscurity after a while. I'm glad she's going to get a chance to play again. Remember how it was a big trend at the beginning of the 2018 season, that so many Syracuse players donned the helmet? It didn't last long.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”