Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

That’s not the way I read it. The data comes from somewhere, it sounded like it got put in the hands of the coaches late, and they got stuck with the dirty work of trying to work lower amounts out with the players and parents.

Someone dropped the ball earlier. There are people who have NC$$ Compliance as one of their roles. It is NOT ALL on the Coaches.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

we've played the not part of the future of the program drill a few times. I don't know the 4 soph defensemen or the freshman class, but we usually lose 2-3 freshmen and I'm sure there will be 1-2 other surprise defections.
dipietro darby shure prouty weston narewski
calnan hawley kneally
glassmeyer krampf cohen burnett uphoff brunner.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:45 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:51 am
flalax22 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:49 am
OCanada wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:11 am Won’t help but won’t hurt either in finding a job
Disagree here. NCAA lacrosse is relatively free from violations compared to football and basketball. Reducing kids scholarships while not offering the required review or completing the required paperwork looks sloppy at best.
Bottom line, Coach Pietramala led a program that was penalized and placed on probation by the NCAA. The acknowledged violations took place over multiple years. The size of the penalty and length of probation were not major, but that doesn’t really matter in the big picture.

There are plenty of good coaches in Division I lacrosse. If I’m an AD, these violations alone would be enough to take a “pass” on Coach Pietramala for a head coaching position. Doesn’t mean that Coach Pietramala won’t be seriously considered for a head coaching job ... or actually land one ... but it probably does mean that at least some ADs won’t put Petro on the short list for a head coaching position.

These violations are not a small deal, and especially not at Johns Hopkins. As I have previously said, completely inexcusable and an embarrassment to the university.

DocBarrister :?
This is on the newbie ADs at Hopkins. NOT on Coach Pietramala.

This NEVER would have happened, and did NOT, under Tom Calder.

Impugning Coach over this, and spouting off about it affecting his job prospects, while spouting off about him becoming the DC at Cuse, yeah, well, yet further Nifong incidents from you.

Ludicrous.
It’s not ludicrous. Putting all of this on the new AD is ludicrous. They certainly share the blame, but neither get a pass on this one.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:52 pm That’s not the way I read it. The data comes from somewhere, it sounded like it got put in the hands of the coaches late, and they got stuck with the dirty work of trying to work lower amounts out with the players and parents.

Someone dropped the ball earlier. There are people who have NC$$ Compliance as one of their roles. It is NOT ALL on the Coaches.
Not all, but a lot of it.

I don’t know precisely what happened, but certainly sounds like they were fiddling with athletic scholarships pretty close to the deadline and missed it in multiple years. That’s on everyone involved.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:35 pm IF we are in the market for another goalie I think I'd most covet the Darmouth kid.
He's not leaving Dartmouth for another year though right?

I guess having 3 #1's on your offense helps doesn't it - with all due respect to Bernhardt - best player in the country is technically a former Hopkins verbal - though he was just renting Hopkins to see what happened after Starsia left. Grill had no answer for #1 - Moore was pretty good on a bad shoulder
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:12 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:35 pm IF we are in the market for another goalie I think I'd most covet the Darmouth kid.

I guess having 3 #1's on your offense helps doesn't it - with all due respect to Bernhardt - best player in the country is technically a former Hopkins verbal - though he was just renting Hopkins to see what happened after Starsia left. Grill had no answer for #1 - Moore was pretty good on a bad shoulder
he may be next year. bernhardt was shellenberger in the tourney all year. forgetting the competition, which is hair's breath. thankfully his bids went just wide most of today. or caught a pipe or a knee. plus there was an all alert when he had the ball.

bernhardt was the best player this year, and it wasn't particularly close.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

[flash=][/flash]
wgdsr wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:17 pm

he may be next year. bernhardt was shellenberger in the tourney all year. forgetting the competition, which is hair's breath. thankfully his bids went just wide most of today. or caught a pipe or a knee. plus there was an all alert when he had the ball.

bernhardt was the best player this year, and it wasn't particularly close.
It was special to watch. Not to hijack the Hopkins thread but I mostly just feel bad for him as a Terps fan. He earned a championship this year. Glad he got it in 2017
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Speaking of Bernhardt, we don't have to worry about him anymore. Terps will still be the favorite in the conference next season but maybe they come back down to Earth a bit, closer to the rest of the B1G. They have a ton of other pieces but he was, at times, a game-breaking talent. More so than Connor Kelly and even Matt Rambo.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:30 pm Speaking of Bernhardt, we don't have to worry about him anymore. Terps will still be the favorite in the conference next season but maybe they come back down to Earth a bit, closer to the rest of the B1G. They have a ton of other pieces but he was, at times, a game-breaking talent. More so than Connor Kelly and even Matt Rambo.
Absolutely. Terps replaced Kelly and Rambo just fine in truth as brilliant as they both were. There is no replacing Bernhardt. But with the core of the defense and so many pieces back on offense I don’t think it’ll be a PSU post Ament level dip.

But certainly don’t expect another undefeated Big Ten campaign next year. The Maryland-Hop game in....Homewood is it (?) next year should be pretty spectacular if the Jays ascend.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:30 pm Speaking of Bernhardt, we don't have to worry about him anymore. Terps will still be the favorite in the conference next season but maybe they come back down to Earth a bit, closer to the rest of the B1G. They have a ton of other pieces but he was, at times, a game-breaking talent. More so than Connor Kelly and even Matt Rambo.
Depending on how all the young talent develops (Grimes, Peshko, McDermott, Dunn, Smith, Fernandez, Todaro ... even Narewski, Marcille, Degnon, and Epstein, who all have two years of eligibility remaining), the Blue Jays could be the best in the B1G next season.

I think one of the most underplayed stories of the season was all the great young talent on the Blue Jays roster. Have to give Petro most of the credit for that, but the new coaching staff made some real progress with the youngsters this season.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

jhu06 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:58 pm we've played the not part of the future of the program drill a few times. I don't know the 4 soph defensemen or the freshman class, but we usually lose 2-3 freshmen and I'm sure there will be 1-2 other surprise defections.
calnan hawley kneally
Kind of a weird group there. Going into the season, there's three guys I would have thought would be real contributors in 2021 who were no where to be found. Glassmeyer, Prouty and Hawley. Guess Prouty just couldn't get the hang of the new rules, but I thought he'd actually benefit from them. Hawley was really good on the wings in 2020. Also thought Glassmeyer showed a fair amount of promise. None of the others have really played much, other than maybe Calnan.

I know Shellenberger wasn't committed to us for that long and was kind of always expected to stay home at UVa, but man would he be nice to have on the team. Really fun player to watch. His vision would fit really nicely in the PM/JG offense. The one (get it?) that got away.

I guess by the end of the year, Hop was playing some decent lacrosse.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

I wouldn’t be so certain. Doesn’t Tillman run an illegal cloning factory in the basement at the Terps’ stadium? I wouldn’t be surprised if next Spring Tillman holds a press conference and announces he found another Bernhardt wandering around College Park.

It’s all very suspicious ....

DocBarrister :P
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:41 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:58 pm we've played the not part of the future of the program drill a few times. I don't know the 4 soph defensemen or the freshman class, but we usually lose 2-3 freshmen and I'm sure there will be 1-2 other surprise defections.
calnan hawley kneally
Kind of a weird group there. Going into the season, there's three guys I would have thought would be real contributors in 2021 who were no where to be found. Glassmeyer, Prouty and Hawley. Guess Prouty just couldn't get the hang of the new rules, but I thought he'd actually benefit from them. Hawley was really good on the wings in 2020. Also thought Glassmeyer showed a fair amount of promise. None of the others have really played much, other than maybe Calnan.

I know Shellenberger wasn't committed to us for that long and was kind of always expected to stay home at UVa, but man would he be nice to have on the team. Really fun player to watch. His vision would fit really nicely in the PM/JG offense. The one (get it?) that got away.

More than decent. It was legitimately good. Something clicked for them in the last few weeks of the season. It was far too late at that point to really make a difference but, in theory, it sets us up nicely moving forward. I believe PM when he says guys are excited about next year.

With the caveat that you never really know who is dealing with nagging injuries, Glassmeyer's absence was a bit of a mystery to me as well. Thought he did ok as a freshman shortie in 2020 for what was an abysmal team defense. But new staff, new eyes—perhaps they saw something different on film. I'm not going to be crazy and call SSDM a *strength* but it might not be a weakness, either, with Martin, Jaronski (provided he doesn't move back to LSM), Mabbett, Zinn, etc. Some real speed and athleticism in that group.

We have probably seen the last of the seniors 06 mentioned above. I don't know about the underclassmen. I wouldn't be shocked if Ernie quietly removes a few of them from the roster over the next several months.

Calnan was hurt all year. Did something to his foot. I don't know if he'd have been an option even in healthy, but, that's another guy we should be getting back who could be in the mix. One underrated story line of the year is we were really hit by the injury bug. Obviously the big one to Fernandez but from what I understand a bunch of guys were very banged up for large portions of the season. Not ideal in any scenario but especially when practice time is already so precious given Covid, new staff, etc.

Next year, with *finger's crossed* a real fall ball, fewer or no Covid protocols, more time to build chemistry with each other and the new staff...the pieces are in place for a pretty good team. Not necessarily a great one, but a good one. Making the NCAA tournament seems like a realistic goal for year 2 of the new regime and honestly a relatively low bar. They nearly made it this year even after sucking for 75% of the season.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:51 pm
nyjay wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:41 pm
calnan hawley kneally

More than decent. It was legitimately good. Something clicked for them in the last few weeks of the season. It was far too late at that point to really make a difference but, in theory, it sets us up nicely moving forward. I believe PM when he says guys are excited about next year.

With the caveat that you never really know who is dealing with nagging injuries, Glassmeyer's absence was a bit of a mystery to me as well. Thought he did ok as a freshman shortie in 2020 for what was an abysmal team defense. But new staff, new eyes—perhaps they saw something different on film. I'm not going to be crazy and call SSDM a *strength* but it might not be a weakness, either, with Martin, Jaronski (provided he doesn't move back to LSM), Mabbett, Zinn, etc. Some real speed and athleticism in that group.

We have probably seen the last of the seniors 06 mentioned above. I don't know about the underclassmen. I wouldn't be shocked if Ernie quietly removes a few of them from the roster over the next several months.

Calnan was hurt all year. Did something to his foot. I don't know if he'd have been an option even in healthy, but, that's another guy we should be getting back who could be in the mix. One underrated story line of the year is we were really hit by the injury bug. Obviously the big one to Fernandez but from what I understand a bunch of guys were very banged up for large portions of the season. Not ideal in any scenario but especially when practice time is already so precious given Covid, new staff, etc.

Next year, with *finger's crossed* a real fall ball, fewer or no Covid protocols, more time to build chemistry with each other and the new staff...the pieces are in place for a pretty good team. Not necessarily a great one, but a good one. Making the NCAA tournament seems like a realistic goal for year 2 of the new regime and honestly a relatively low bar. They nearly made it this year even after sucking for 75% of the season.
This is a good time to note how tough the schedule was for the Blue Jays (and every B1G team that wasn’t Rutgers or Maryland).

Just chew on this ... 6 of 13 Hopkins lacrosse games were against either NCAA finalist Maryland (3 games) or a Rutgers team (3 games) that took North Carolina to OT.

That 4-9 record will never look good and will never meet Hopkins “standards”, but it’s also not as bad as it appears.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Far as I know, he's got another year in Hanover.
A grad year thereafter is a possibility, though.

Shellenberger had the better game today, not sure I'd call him "best in the country" over Bernhardt but he sure as heck made a solid case that he's right there. Tewey candidate short list next year. Terrific game by Matt Moore, yes on a bum shoulder!

I was bit surprised that UMD's defense didn't stymie them more, but pleased!
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

That's what makes the world go around - difference of opinions - but Bernhardt's gaudier stats are born on the back of 65 more shots - 145 to 80 along with the fact that UVA's starting 6 are more talented. The eye test over the last couple weeks suggests it's going to be a long 3 years for the #1 defenseman in the ACC with Shellenberger and O'Neill. Shellenberger is virtually unguardable - his vision as a passer and his shot location - seen it too many times.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:52 pm That's what makes the world go around - difference of opinions - but Bernhardt's gaudier stats are born on the back of 65 more shots - 145 to 80 along with the fact that UVA's starting 6 are more talented. The eye test over the last couple weeks suggests it's going to be a long 3 years for the #1 defenseman in the ACC with Shellenberger and O'Neill. Shellenberger is virtually unguardable - his vision as a passer and his shot location - seen it too many times.
Ha. Do you think he could do anything with Greenberg or Petro covering him in their prime? Hypothetical of course, but I suspect there are guys out there who could match up against him. I think UMD should have switched matchups on him early. Makar may have been able to limit him possibly but they didn't seem to have a big rangy defenseman who could have given him more trouble.

Do you think UVA gets back on our schedule next year? Would be interesting to see how Coach K matches him up.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:08 pm Do you think UVA gets back on our schedule next year? Would be interesting to see how Coach K matches him up.
There is mutual interest in getting the Doyle Smith Cup back on the schedule. No clue if it'll happen for 2022. Maybe 2023.

The schedule could look wacky next year. We were supposed to play Hofstra this season before the switch to a B1G only schedule. I think there were going to be a few other new faces as well.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:08 pm Ha. Do you think he could do anything with Greenberg or Petro covering him in their prime? Hypothetical of course, but I suspect there are guys out there who could match up against him. I think UMD should have switched matchups on him early. Makar may have been able to limit him possibly but they didn't seem to have a big rangy defenseman who could have given him more trouble.
He just went 4 and 2 against the BIG 10 Defensive player of the year. He scored 14 goals and had 10 assists in the tournament - 6 points a game. Should he have done more? Those questions around Petro and Greenberg are absurd - Petro last played 32 years ago - Greenberg 41. There are films of McEneaney running by Greenberg in 77 like his feet were nailed to the floor - the problem with Shellenberger - as with most great attackmen - is that if you are athletic enough to stop him from dodging on you - he will still kill you with his assists. He's a generational talent. To have him and Moore on the field at the same time should not be allowed.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:05 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:08 pm Ha. Do you think he could do anything with Greenberg or Petro covering him in their prime? Hypothetical of course, but I suspect there are guys out there who could match up against him. I think UMD should have switched matchups on him early. Makar may have been able to limit him possibly but they didn't seem to have a big rangy defenseman who could have given him more trouble.
He just went 4 and 2 against the BIG 10 Defensive player of the year. He scored 14 goals and had 10 assists in the tournament - 6 points a game. Should he have done more? Those questions around Petro and Greenberg are absurd - Petro last played 32 years ago - Greenberg 41. There are films of McEneaney running by Greenberg in 77 like his feet were nailed to the floor - the problem with Shellenberger - as with most great attackmen - is that if you are athletic enough to stop him from dodging on you - he will still kill you with his assists. He's a generational talent. To have him and Moore on the field at the same time should not be allowed.
Shellenberger is a great player, no doubt.

But we should keep in mind that we have a young man, Joey Epstein, who scored 73 points as a freshman and may become the first four-time captain in Hopkins lacrosse history.

Our cupboard is hardly empty. Do we have a Shellenberger? No, but we have some excellent players of our own.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”