The Boston College Eagles - 2021 National Champions

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Cletus

The Boston College Eagles - 2021 National Champions

Post by Cletus »

The long wait has finally come to an end. The Boston College Eagles are National Champions.

Cletus

Re: The Boston College Eagles - 2021 National Champions

Post by Cletus »

For those of you interested in continuing post game coverage and post game press conference:

https://www.distro.tv/live/lax-sports-network
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Cletus

Post by Cletus »

"Boston College’s national championship purgatory has ended. Syracuse’s suffering continues."

--Matt Dasilva

https://usalaxmagazine.com/college/wome ... ampionship
Cletus

YOUR 2021 National Champion Boston College Eagles

Post by Cletus »

Well, they finally made it. I'm very happy for my hometown team. They avoided being grouped in with the Buffalo Bills. They get to keep that distinction all to themselves. Very happy for Coach Acacia. No doubt, she changed the face of this program. BC has become a place on the map where the best talent want to come and play. This win can't be discredited from any angle. BC slew all the giants and dragons that stood in their way. The #5, #3 and #1 seeds all had to finally kneel in submission. This team was just too good and too hungry. Bunch of upstarts! The nerve--winning a national title with all those rookies--Belle Smith, Sydney Scales, Hunter Roman, Annabelle Hasselbeck.

Snog

Post by Snog »

Will be interesting to see if CN stays or opts out for what for sure will be major endorsement $$$$ on the table for her at the peak of her marketability !
njbill

Post by njbill »

Someone posted links to a couple of Syracuse post game interviews. Haven’t seen any of the BC interviews, which I assume included North. I would hope one of the reporters would’ve asked her if she is returning. The reporter who interviewed the BC coach on TV after the game failed to do so.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

njbill wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:04 pm Someone posted links to a couple of Syracuse post game interviews. Haven’t seen any of the BC interviews, which I assume included North. I would hope one of the reporters would’ve asked her if she is returning. The reporter who interviewed the BC coach on TV after the game failed to do so.
North and Urbank will return for 2022.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Lax247 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:36 pm
njbill wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:04 pm Someone posted links to a couple of Syracuse post game interviews. Haven’t seen any of the BC interviews, which I assume included North. I would hope one of the reporters would’ve asked her if she is returning. The reporter who interviewed the BC coach on TV after the game failed to do so.
Urbank was a senior in 2020, I think, and a Graduate student this year. Does she still have medical redshirt eligibility (from the knee issues)?
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

seacoaster wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:08 pm
Urbank was a senior in 2020, I think, and a Graduate student this year. Does she still have medical redshirt eligibility (from the knee issues)?
yes
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Lax247 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:17 pm
yes
Here's her roster page from the BC website:

https://bceagles.com/sports/womens-lacr ... bank/13760
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Lax247 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:17 pm
yes
Good. Love her gritty game.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

This is a link to the LAX Sports Network. They've got you fully covered for post game press conference segments, including Syracuse.

https://www.ftfnext.com/lsn

Scroll down to "2021 Women's NCAA Championship Coverage" for a complete list...

Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Amazing to see BC win a title with its youngest and perhaps least talented team in the past 4 years. Where do they go from here? How does the future look next year with CN and beyond without her?
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Lax101 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:44 pm Amazing to see BC win a title with its youngest and perhaps least talented team in the past 4 years. Where do they go from here? How does the future look next year with CN and beyond without her?
Oooo, I don't know about least talented. I'd take this team over '18. What if we said Smith was a young Apuzzo? And have they ever had a shutdown defender like Scales? Good question to ponder though. I don't know how they'll do being the hunted. Imagine this lineup with another year under its belt. They could be scary dominant good and win another. Much depends how they handle their first national championship.

In two years time this will be Belle Smith's team. Can't you see it? She's already a leader just by how she plays. What an example.

BC is now a big place on the map for recruits. Maybe the new generation doesn't want to go to Maryland as much...
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Interesting points. The better teams like BC will also be a desired destination for transfer students just like UNC, Duke etc.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Lax101 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:44 pm Amazing to see BC win a title with its youngest and perhaps least talented team in the past 4 years. Where do they go from here? How does the future look next year with CN and beyond without her?
These are great questions, Lax101. How would you answer them?
Last edited by Cletus on Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

I've been watching and rewatching the two final four BC games. This team played like absolute studs. Tough! Never got rattled, never got frustrated. The aggression they demonstrated on both offense and defense was exhilarating. They stood in awe of no one.

This isn't a trophy that can be tainted because someone else upset the #1 team and they got an easier road to the championship. BC slew all the giants who stood in their way. #5 Notre Dame (their ranking due more to their [hyped] reputation than their actual strength in the NCAA), #3 Syracuse and #1 North Carolina. There isn't a shred of doubt as to who the best team in the NCAA is.

Amazed at how poised the rookies and sophomores played. Belle Smith, Hollie Schleicher, Sydney Scales, Hunter Roman, Cassidy Weeks. They didn't just maintain and avoid making bad plays--they stayed aggressive and made plays beginning, middle and end game. And some of the defense was stunning. Sydney Scales?? Where did she come from? From a parent of a prominent player on North Carolina: "They shut down Jamie like she was a high school player." That's a good way to put it. Scales played like a boss the entire weekend. I like that this team is a little chippy too. They won't allow themselves to be intimidated.

This team makes me proud. The way they went about winning this title checked all the boxes for me.

Cletus

Post by Cletus »

I can see why others on here are continually trying to discredit North. She's a great player, and she's flashy. She's in your face. So if you don't like BC because BC knocked off your team, it's a natural (albeit base) reaction. She's the player you'd love to have on your team, but you hate on the opposition. Wasted energy though. Instead of appreciating what she's done this year, time is spent combing and combing for nits. Pretty sad and pathetic.

As an aside--I'm delighted she broke the record for goals scored in a season. The previous record had all kinds of asterisks all over it coming from the weak sisters of the poor America East conference. With North setting the record against the best teams in the country, no one (rational) can question the validity of the single season goal scoring record.

Bart

Post by Bart »

Cletus wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:54 am
As an aside--I'm delighted she broke the record for goals scored in a season. The previous record had all kinds of asterisks all over it coming from the weak sisters of the poor America East conference. With North setting the record against the best teams in the country, no one (rational) can question the validity of the single season goal scoring record.
Wont question the validity of the record, she got the goals and deserves the record. I would not question the validity of the previous record either.

If we are casting aspersions regarding the competition one could easily point to the 8 goals vs Albany, 7 goals vs Fairfield, 8 goals vs. Temple, 6 vs Hofstra and 10 vs VT all teams that one may question your assertion as the best teams in the country.

Ms. North deserves the record, she put the ball in the back of the net. Ms. North, imo, deserves the Tewy as she had the best year. But building her up by casting dispersion on the competition the previous record holder is just stupid. If you look closely one can make the same conclusions......

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”