UVA versus UNC

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jrn19

Re: UVA versus UNC

Post by jrn19 »

tech37 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:58 pm
keno in reno wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:44 pm as far as the actual game went, sure seemed like the moment was too big for the UNC freshman who turned it over twice at crucial moments. Maybe at least after the first one they shoulda gone with more experience.
Man, that's some major onus to place on a freshman. And he must be out there for good reason based on coaching decisions. I know he's been hurt but Tanner Cook sure didn't do much for your team the last two games, and he's a senior leader.
Cook clearly wasn’t healthy and couldn’t be out there. He played 2 man-up shifts only against Rutgers and then some attack against VA but I don’t think he played more than 5-6 shifts. He battled but he wasn’t himself.

The mistake came in, as mentioned, playing Herbert the majority of time in his place when he clearly wasn’t ready for that moment instead of McCarthy. And then not giving Tillman enough run till late.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

jrn19 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:58 pm
keno in reno wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:50 pm
blue angels wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:57 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:54 pm
blue angels wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:36 am
10stone5 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:09 am
jrn19 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:03 am
10stone5 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:01 am Whatever happens,
I have a hard seeing Moore and Laviano NOT coming
back next year, either with UVA as a two consecutive
defending title holder or as the odds on favorite for
next year.
Moore is coming back. Laviano isn’t. Already been announced.
OK.

Well then, I definitely am liking Keegan Khan much
more at UVA than, say, Notre Dame or Duke, not sure
how much Khan fits into the Tiffany style of play, but
then again, UVA was able to find a good role for Bertrand.
While, I have no inside info, it would be a surprise to me, at attack anyway........Virginia brings in 3 of the top attack recruits in the Nation in Griffin Schutz-Deerfield, Thomas Mencke-Highland Park Texas and Tucker Mullen-Taft. Schutz and Mencke have already been chosen as participants for the Under Armour All America game......1 or 2 of these have also played some midfield so coming out of the midfield is a possibility as well. Schutz is a huge physical mismatch with box skills whose game could translate similarly to Cormier and Bertrand. Recruits should beware of Notre Dame, Duke and similar programs, who bring in whole groups of 1 year rent a players........Hearing Notre Dame and OSU are already raiding other teams for transfers for next season.
at some point, my suspicion is uva steps back and says we're not going after high profile transfers.

between scanlan, gray, i'm guessing they would've taken the call from sowers... to look back and say we're doing just fine with our guys. if a piece can come in and would fit, fine. bertrand found a great role in the midfield.

as it is, even that might have contributed to one valuable piece sniffing the portal. with moore, shellenberger and cormier back, the latter 2 for as many as 3 years, they're set for a while and with depth behind them. and as it is, they're at a high water mark for roster (48?) with a couple 5th years back next year and low attrition. it wouldn't be crazy to see a couple more guys enter the portal going out, tho that would just put them more in line with traditional roster numbers.

there are spots in the midfield for guys to earn... aitken, quinn. injuries maybe. i do wonder what's up with bienkowski. and then on d kology's gone and conners. and a solid ssdm would get time.

have to believe at some point we'll see that given everything (team portal results, effect on other players) uva's going to mostly stand pat on giving away starting spots.
This would correspond with comments made by Lars last pre season. He was interested by the availability of Sowers and others, but stated publicly his concerns about meshing players from differing cultures to his own team's. The Duke and a few others experiment ultimately, did not gain them a National Championship which is maybe justice.......Bertrand is interesting because he came to Virginia as much for admission to the Commerce School to combine with his prior Mechanical Engineering degree...He may have come without lacrosse. At this juncture, it appears Lars made the correct decision to ride with his own roster, regardless of what occurs tomorrow.
Lars is a great coach, but he's also a hokey shuckster. He would and will continue to take any transfer that will help him win. He didn't get Sowers or Gray or other top transfers because they didn't choose UVA, not because he was concerned about meshing them with the culture.
Yeah, they were 1000% after Sowers. For a fact. He just went to Duke. And Gray visited there.
They took Bertrand, who was a fit for the program, so, yes they have and will take a transfer…….They also did look at Sowers but not certain on Gray…..Who suggested anything otherwise? The point is Virginia has taken a targeted transfer at a position of need but not whole groups of players like Duke, Denver, UNC, Notre Dame, etc….Lars didn’t get those 2 but he hasn’t exactly struggled with recruiting.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

blue angels wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:41 pm
next year.
OK.

While, I have no inside info, it would be a surprise to me, at attack anyway........Virginia brings in 3 of the top attack recruits in the Nation in Griffin Schutz-Deerfield, Thomas Mencke-Highland Park Texas and Tucker Mullen-Taft. Schutz and Mencke have already been chosen as participants for the Under Armour All America game......1 or 2 of these have also played some midfield so coming out of the midfield is a possibility as well. Schutz is a huge physical mismatch with box skills whose game could translate similarly to Cormier and Bertrand. Recruits should beware of Notre Dame, Duke and similar programs, who bring in whole groups of 1 year rent a players........Hearing Notre Dame and OSU are already raiding other teams for transfers for next season.
at some point, my suspicion is uva steps back and says we're not going after high profile transfers.

between scanlan, gray, i'm guessing they would've taken the call from sowers... to look back and say we're doing just fine with our guys. if a piece can come in and would fit, fine. bertrand found a great role in the midfield.

as it is, even that might have contributed to one valuable piece sniffing the portal. with moore, shellenberger and cormier back, the latter 2 for as many as 3 years, they're set for a while and with depth behind them. and as it is, they're at a high water mark for roster (48?) with a couple 5th years back next year and low attrition. it wouldn't be crazy to see a couple more guys enter the portal going out, tho that would just put them more in line with traditional roster numbers.

there are spots in the midfield for guys to earn... aitken, quinn. injuries maybe. i do wonder what's up with bienkowski. and then on d kology's gone and conners. and a solid ssdm would get time.

have to believe at some point we'll see that given everything (team portal results, effect on other players) uva's going to mostly stand pat on giving away starting spots.
This would correspond with comments made by Lars last pre season. He was interested by the availability of Sowers and others, but stated publicly his concerns about meshing players from differing cultures to his own team's. The Duke and a few others experiment ultimately, did not gain them a National Championship which is maybe justice.......Bertrand is interesting because he came to Virginia as much for admission to the Commerce School to combine with his prior Mechanical Engineering degree...He may have come without lacrosse. At this juncture, it appears Lars made the correct decision to ride with his own roster, regardless of what occurs tomorrow.
Lars is a great coach, but he's also a hokey shuckster. He would and will continue to take any transfer that will help him win. He didn't get Sowers or Gray or other top transfers because they didn't choose UVA, not because he was concerned about meshing them with the culture.
Yeah, they were 1000% after Sowers. For a fact. He just went to Duke. And Gray visited there.
They took Bertrand, who was a fit for the program, so, yes they have and will take a transfer…….They also did look at Sowers but not certain on Gray…..Who suggested anything otherwise? The point is Virginia has taken a targeted transfer at a position of need but not whole groups of players like Duke, Denver, UNC, Notre Dame, etc….Lars didn’t get those 2 but he hasn’t exactly struggled with recruiting.
Sowers and Adler contributed. Are you suggesting Duke had guys those two displaced sitting on the bench and had Duke played those guys it would have resulted in a win over Maryland?
“I wish you would!”
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

UNC took exactly the same amount of transfers as Virginia this year. Just McCarthy.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

next year.
OK.

Gray visited UVA. The point is that Lars will look for upgrades to his roster just like anyone else and will use the portal like anyone else; and maybe even do what Duke did. He just didn’t have to this year because he didn’t have the holes to fill that Duke did
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

10 10 2 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:52 pm

UNC took exactly the same amount of transfers as Virginia this year. Just McCarthy.
Virginia has one transfer. UNC has at least 2 in Gray and McCarthy on their roster, regardless of when they took them each. It certainly isn't as bad as Duke , Denver or Notre Dame.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

jrn19 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:01 pm
next year.
OK.

Gray visited UVA. The point is that Lars will look for upgrades to his roster just like anyone else and will use the portal like anyone else; and maybe even do what Duke did. He just didn’t have to this year because he didn’t have the holes to fill that Duke did
Lars has said otherwise, publicly.........He was very concerned about incorporating multiple ones culturally into his roster. You can believe him or not...........The point is that the rent a player practice isn't good for the game.......
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

blue angels wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:26 am
jrn19 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:01 pm
next year.
OK.

Lars has said otherwise, publicly.........He was very concerned about incorporating multiple ones culturally into his roster. You can believe him or not...........The point is that the rent a player practice isn't good for the game.......
Tell Charlie that today.
“I wish you would!”
Bacondoesstuff

Post by Bacondoesstuff »

The schools with the 1 year MBA program will have an advantage with grad transfers for the next few years while the Covid eligibility rides out.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”