All Things Environment

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
PizzaSnake

Re: Climate Change & The Environment: A Green New Deal

Post by PizzaSnake »

"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... ical-power

No problem, the democrats will figure it all out. The demand for electrical power is going through the roof. The capacity in our country to meet the demand is in a quagmire. I wonder why the chicoms keep putting more and more coal powered plants on line? :?
https://theconversation.com/china-finan ... ial-161332
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:23 am https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... ical-power

No problem, the democrats will figure it all out. The demand for electrical power is going through the roof. The capacity in our country to meet the demand is in a quagmire. I wonder why the chicoms keep putting more and more coal powered plants on line? :?
Politics aside, California as it exists today is doomed. Too much waste of water farming in the desert, too many people for the water that remains. They f%cked up and let the power companies underinvest in infrastructure and therefore can't safely transmit power reliably. Add to that the issues with nuclear decom and reduction in hydro power and they are scr3wed and hard.

There is going to be a new Dust Bowl migration, but this time people will be leaving the desert SW and moving to where the water is and the heat not so extreme. I wonder what kind of welcome they will receive from their new "neighbors"?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:08 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:23 am https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... ical-power

Politics aside, California as it exists today is doomed. Too much waste of water farming in the desert, too many people for the water that remains. They f%cked up and let the power companies underinvest in infrastructure and therefore can't safely transmit power reliably. Add to that the issues with nuclear decom and reduction in hydro power and they are scr3wed and hard.

There is going to be a new Dust Bowl migration, but this time people will be leaving the desert SW and moving to where the water is and the heat not so extreme. I wonder what kind of welcome they will receive from their new "neighbors"?
You ask good questions. The chicoms decided a long time ago they will use whatever source they can find to generate electricity. They understand that coal is the cheapest way out for what they want to achieve.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:25 pm

You ask good questions. The chicoms decided a long time ago they will use whatever source they can find to generate electricity. They understand that coal is the cheapest way out for what they want to achieve.
Given there current "reproductive rate" has been well below the 2.1/woman, and, with the increased in educational levels of Chinese women(highly correlated with reduction in fertility rates together with the genocidal forced sterilization of the Uighur population, China will soon face a demographic reckoning that will wash away their "best laid plans." Oh, and so will the US unless it wises up about immigration. Only one way (now that our birthrate has been so low for so long) to get a ready supply for workers to support the inter-generational Ponzi scheme we call Social Security. If there isn't an ever increasing supply of new "workers" at the base, we are going to see some severe "social insecurity" in the not to distant future.

Problem is, we're on the same space-lifeboat and there aren't any within easy reach.
DocBarrister

Two Fossil Fuel Fossils on Exxon’s Board Kicked Out

Post by DocBarrister »

As we all know, people who deny the reality of human-caused climate change are morons.

Looks like big-time stock investors are taking note. In a remarkable turn of events, two fossil fuel fossils on the Exxon Board have been kicked out and will be replaced by new board members who acknowledge the reality of human-caused climate change and recognize the threat of climate change to Exxon’s future if the company does not transition into renewable energy.

Engine No. 1 argued the climate crisis poses an existential threat to Exxon — one the company hasn't taken seriously enough. Unlike BP, Royal Dutch Shell and other European oil majors, Exxon has doubled down on oil and gas despite growing concern about the climate crisis.

"A refusal to accept that fossil fuel demand may decline in decades to come has led to a failure to take even initial steps towards evolution, and to obfuscating rather than addressing long-term business risk," Engine No. 1 wrote in its investor presentation.

Institutional Shareholder Services advised shareholders to vote in favor of three of Engine No. 1's candidates.
Citing Exxon's "questionable strategy" for the future and "diminishing returns," Glass Lewis, another influential advisory firm, urged shareholders to back two of the four candidates.

"We believe Engine No. 1 has presented a compelling case that, without a more concerted response and well-developed strategy ... related to the global energy transition, Exxon's returns, cash flow and dividend, and thus its shareholder value, are increasingly at threat," Glass Lewis wrote in its report.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/26/business ... index.html

It wasn’t enough that human-caused climate change threatened human existence on Earth. :roll:

But threaten profits and future investment returns because the Exxon leadership was too stupid to acknowledge the reality of human-caused climate change and the global movement away from fossil fuels? THAT was enough for institutional investors to finally take action against the Exxon leadership. :?

Whatever ... it’s about time.

With Exxon under attack for its moronic and deceitful climate change denial, fossil fuel fossils will find themselves increasingly marginalized and ostracized.

Even stupidity must eventually yield to profits and capital gains.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

What you don’t like buying pricey Almond slices at Whole Foods?

I will say in fairness to the Mgt of PG&E, my brother in law worked in their legal sept for a couple of years. The state used the company as a piggy bank for a long long time.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu72 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:50 pm Fun.
Thanks for posting that.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

But Al Gore was just trying to make money....

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/27/world/cl ... index.html
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Second bit of bad news for the oil industry in a couple of days. Royal Dutch Shell was ordered by a Dutch court to cut hydrocarbon emission by 45% within 9 years! Couple this with the shareholder revolt at Exxon, it looks like a major inflection point in thought, if not action has occurred.

At the same time Putin and friends are planning on shipping 25 million tons of oil from their Arctic oil platform by 2024.

Russia's Arctic Platform.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Not if the Kock bros and others with vested interests in petroleum can help it. Watch Mr. BoneSaw in particular.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

What if space is really like our vascular system where everything is inner-connected...as if earth(milky way) is the heart or even each galaxy is yet another heart. Maybe those black holes are really a veins that will return back to where they started?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
njbill

Post by njbill »

Hmm. Sounds like an idea for a book. Get typing, but remember us poor scruffs on FanLax when you are rich and famous.
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:12 am
What if space is really like our vascular system where everything is inner-connected...as if earth(milky way) is the heart or even each galaxy is yet another heart. Maybe those black holes are really a veins that will return back to where they started?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswith ... 9f573e30a5
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:58 am
Yep. Just imagine, if we are really just the microscopic inner workings of The living God.

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:10 pm
Yep. Just imagine, if we are really just the microscopic inner workings of The living God.

That is obviously the liquor talking.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Not positive, but I suspect humanity is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things.
Last edited by PizzaSnake on Mon May 31, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:22 pm

Not positive, but I suspect humanity is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things.
Exactly.
~Livy

Return to “POLITICS”