Total votes: 87

keno in reno

Re: Who Wins The National Title?

Post by keno in reno »

Oldbarndog wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:49 am
pcowlax wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:23 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:10 pm
pcowlax wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:03 pm
Essexfenwick wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:19 pm Yes with all the talent concentrated on a few teams this Terp team undefeated would be the greatest of all time.
Whooooa there cowboy! Not sure even many Maryland fans would go that far. Would be a great accomplishment but anyone claiming the best of all time has a pretty narrow of lax viewing

Best team? (Of the shot clock era?)
The UVA 2006 team was the best in the last 35 years. And any team with Paul Rabil and Kyle Harrison in the same uniform has to be up there.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Have to wonder if the pipe-shot-ruled-goal from 2019 semis, plus the apparent snub re MD's seed this year, doesn't give MD an edge in the motivation dept? Otherwise... this is a pickem?
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Essexfenwick wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:42 pm Want Syracuse to rebound and it looks like Navy is building. The original blue bloods are Hopkins, Maryland, Syracuse and Navy. UVA is on the edge of the club.
Army!
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

The field held up well, from what I saw,
clearing, no rain expected by game time.
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

Attendance listed at just shy of 14,000, it seemed fewer on television, many contributing factors.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

tech37 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:32 am Have to wonder if the pipe-shot-ruled-goal from 2019 semis, plus the apparent snub re MD's seed this year, doesn't give MD an edge in the motivation dept? Otherwise... this is a pickem?
This is a nice reminder clip, comments also dredge up some other moments... {Caution has eff bombs}

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
molo

Post by molo »

The team that wins the NC will have a lefty goalie and an offensive star who wears number 1.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

If Shockey or Wierman keep FO’s to 50/50, Maryland will win by the same type score as the Duke game.

If Lasalla gets 70% or more, the game will be very tight and goes either way. There’s no way to make an accurate prediction.

Maryland is the better team.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Maryland clearly has the best player. UVA has more offensive talent depth (almost unprecedented offensive depth) though MD certainly has plenty of threats and more than UNC did. MD has the better D, though UVA’s is underrated. LSM and SSDM are interesting and pretty even, slight add to MD on SSDM, to UVA on LSM. Goalie probably to UVA based on consistency. FOGO is very interesting because LaSalla is so streaky. He could easily win 12 in a row and be only 55% for the game. I’ll say 13-11 MD but would not at all be surprised to see UVA win with Cormier and Garno bombing in a few from outside.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

The new thing with UMD this year is the explosive 2nd midfield with the cannon weapon transfers and the high ranked freshman. The hog pen looks to be in playoff form and the goalie hasn’t lost a game. All the other parts are of the highest quality.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

pcowlax wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:03 am Maryland clearly has the best player. UVA has more offensive talent depth (almost unprecedented offensive depth) though MD certainly has plenty of threats and more than UNC did. MD has the better D, though UVA’s is underrated. LSM and SSDM are interesting and pretty even, slight add to MD on SSDM, to UVA on LSM. Goalie probably to UVA based on consistency. FOGO is very interesting because LaSalla is so streaky. He could easily win 12 in a row and be only 55% for the game. I’ll say 13-11 MD but would not at all be surprised to see UVA win with Cormier and Garno bombing in a few from outside.
Good assessment
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Not many teams in history have a Dox Aitken level talent stored away as a secondary role player
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

keno in reno wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:19 pm Not many teams in history have a Dox Aitken level talent stored away as a secondary role player

I have no dog in this hunt. The easy way to compare the two teams is this:

If Virginia went 100% at the face off, Maryland can still win.

If Maryland went 100% at the face off, Maryland would win 20-5.

So, tell me which team impresses more.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:50 pm
keno in reno wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:19 pm Not many teams in history have a Dox Aitken level talent stored away as a secondary role player

I have no dog in this hunt. The easy way to compare the two teams is this:

If Virginia went 100% at the face off, Maryland can still win.

If Maryland went 100% at the face off, Maryland would win 20-5.

So, tell me which team impresses more.
In your pretend 20-5 world, of course 1 team impresses more. But because you say it does not make it fact or remotely possible. UVA is at least just as talented as MD across the board (more talented going by recruiting rankings), with a huge advantage at faceoff.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I think the teams are well matched, tons of talent, no serious weaknesses and UMD has by far the best player in the nation. Somehow stop him from scoring more than 5 pts, and I think the field tilts to UVA. But can he be stopped?

I'm hoping for an exciting, hard fought, hard riding contest, but either team could go on a streak and win it going away...depends on who has the mojo, not who has better talent.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Mon May 31, 2021 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Has UMD faced a ride like UVA's?

They have overcome a face-off deficit before.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:26 pm Has UMD faced a ride like UVA's?

They have overcome a face-off deficit before.
No. UVA's ride is impressive to watch if you're not a fan of the opponent. I'd imagine it will cause a few turnovers tomorrow. Ohio State did try and McNaney made SC Top 10 with a goalie goal.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

we're going back aways and it's one data point. 2 years ago, petey won the faceoff battle though shockey performed admirably. 6 of 16. heningsen fared worse. 4th quarter it was all petey.

the game was a tale of 3 quarters vs the 4th. umd controlled the game thru the first 3, and then infamously ran out of gas/played not to lose. most of that imo was uva winning faceoffs, getting the gbs. and then attacking vs a team that was not.

but eerily similar to uva holding on yesterday. i think both games will be fresh in the coach's minds respectively tomorrow if either takes the lead.

hopefully, md doesn't take faceoffs 100% or it's a 15 goal wipeout.
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

Pretty sure the greatest Men’s lacrosse team was the Maryland 1973 squad that went 10-0 and beat Hopkins in the championship in two overtime’s. All ten starters plus one sub were named All Americans. At least they were probably the best in that era.
Last edited by Maryland75 on Sun May 30, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:26 pm They have overcome a face-off deficit before.
only against inferior teams.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”