Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
OCanada

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by OCanada »

Won’t help but won’t hurt either in finding a job
Last edited by OCanada on Sun May 30, 2021 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Benson played against Duke once. Hopkins won. That help you? Benson was a 2nd team AA.

Who is giving Benson credit? Pretty much anyone who knows the game. That includes his boss
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

06 forgot 07 and 08.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

OCanada wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:11 am Won’t help but won’t hurt either in finding a job
Disagree here. NCAA lacrosse is relatively free from violations compared to football and basketball. Reducing kids scholarships while not offering the required review or completing the required paperwork looks sloppy at best.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

so if benson wins tomorrow how many other people have rings w/both maryland and hopkins?
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Do they get rings?
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

flalax22 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:49 am
OCanada wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:11 am Won’t help but won’t hurt either in finding a job
Disagree here. NCAA lacrosse is relatively free from violations compared to football and basketball. Reducing kids scholarships while not offering the required review or completing the required paperwork looks sloppy at best.
Bottom line, Coach Pietramala led a program that was penalized and placed on probation by the NCAA. The acknowledged violations took place over multiple years. The size of the penalty and length of probation were not major, but that doesn’t really matter in the big picture.

There are plenty of good coaches in Division I lacrosse. If I’m an AD, these violations alone would be enough to take a “pass” on Coach Pietramala for a head coaching position. Doesn’t mean that Coach Pietramala won’t be seriously considered for a head coaching job ... or actually land one ... but it probably does mean that at least some ADs won’t put Petro on the short list for a head coaching position.

These violations are not a small deal, and especially not at Johns Hopkins. As I have previously said, completely inexcusable and an embarrassment to the university.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:54 am Here’s maybe something to get us going: Word is Reinson and DeSo are coming back. Maybe one or two others. I don’t think it’ll be more than four. Reinson I am fairly certain about.
Is there any word on whether Jack Lyne is returning? He's listed as a redshirt senior but I believe he should have a year of eligibility left.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:12 am
HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:54 am Here’s maybe something to get us going: Word is Reinson and DeSo are coming back. Maybe one or two others. I don’t think it’ll be more than four. Reinson I am fairly certain about.
Is there any word on whether Jack Lyne is returning? He's listed as a redshirt senior but I believe he should have a year of eligibility left.
I can't say for certain, but I don't think so. He has eligibility left but that doesn't mean he'll use it. Some guys probably just want to move on with their lives. Reinson, DeSo, and Keogh are the only returners I've heard about. Doesn't mean others won't, those are just the ones I'm aware of.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:51 am
Bottom line, Coach Pietramala led a program that was penalized and placed on probation by the NCAA. The acknowledged violations took place over multiple years. The size of the penalty and length of probation were not major, but that doesn’t really matter in the big picture.

There are plenty of good coaches in Division I lacrosse. If I’m an AD, these violations alone would be enough to take a “pass” on Coach Pietramala for a head coaching position. Doesn’t mean that Coach Pietramala won’t be seriously considered for a head coaching job ... or actually land one ... but it probably does mean that at least some ADs won’t put Petro on the short list for a head coaching position.

These violations are not a small deal, and especially not at Johns Hopkins. As I have previously said, completely inexcusable and an embarrassment to the university.

This is on the newbie ADs at Hopkins. NOT on Coach Pietramala.

This NEVER would have happened, and did NOT, under Tom Calder.

Impugning Coach over this, and spouting off about it affecting his job prospects, while spouting off about him becoming the DC at Cuse, yeah, well, yet further Nifong incidents from you.

Ludicrous.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Drcthru wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:46 am Do they get rings?
Yes. Heck, even the Hopkins Eyre bus driver got one, and deservedly so. He was a huge part of the Team. RIP.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:45 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:51 am

This is on the newbie ADs at Hopkins. NOT on Coach Pietramala.

This NEVER would have happened, and did NOT, under Tom Calder.

Impugning Coach over this, and spouting off about it affecting his job prospects, while spouting off about him becoming the DC at Cuse, yeah, well, yet further Nifong incidents from you.

Ludicrous.
but he said if he were an ad, he would take a pass so probably other ad's would, too.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

So, the Athletic Department with its newbie ADs have Academic Success and Life Coach, Nutrition expert, etc., etc., and fail at one of their highest priorities: NC$$ Compliance?

You want the coaches to wipe their bosses’ asses too?
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

They had better if they expect to do some kissing.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:01 pm So, the Athletic Department with its newbie ADs have Academic Success and Life Coach, Nutrition expert, etc., etc., and fail at one of their highest priorities: NC$$ Compliance?

You want the coaches to wipe their bosses’ asses too?
The agreed statement of facts between Hopkins and the NCAA specifically mention the coach failing to inform families of their rights and review possibilities. How in the world is that on the AD?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

the womens program has the real issue, that's 2/3 of a scholarship they're losing per year plus their share of the fine which is probably most of it.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sorry Wombat - have to take the other side here. While the athletic administration staff are ultimately responsible for things like deadlines - it seems if you read between the lines - it was clear what happened with the most aggregious point discussed - and I hate to say it but this is another fall-out from early recruiting. I have often said one of the problems with recruiting your entire roster before they have facial hair is the bloated rosters and the type II errors - recruiting players you find out you eventually wished you had not. That's how you end up with trying to REDUCE scholarships for 12 men's lacrosse players. AND you would have a hard time convincing me that anyone but the big man controlled the purse strings and the decisions. Maybe Alanna should have identified that an appeals process was missing and a deadline was missed but the incessant juggling that was going on was created by someone else and we all know who that was.

Another small turd left on Milliman's desk to clean up. And given that the worst infraction appeared tied to the men's program - missing a renewal letter deadline and this "carry the one" on the textbooks (that one is on the AD and staff) appear very puny - I wonder if Janine is wondering what the license number of the bus was.

Nice to hear about the increased probabillity that Reinson, DeSimone and Keogh will return. The only issue connected with that and taking in more transfers is the impact on the development of the lower classmen who could be around longer but the team will be better with those 3 - particularly if you can keep Keogh upright.

Drexel's Aidan Coll is from the Hill Academy and of course there is now Burgdorf out there for a season rental
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:38 am Nice to hear about the increased probabillity that Reinson, DeSimone and Keogh will return. The only issue connected with that and taking in more transfers is the impact on the development of the lower classmen who could be around longer but the team will be better with those 3 - particularly if you can keep Keogh upright.

Drexel's Aidan Coll is from the Hill Academy and of course there is now Burgdorf out there for a season rental
Coll played at the Hill School in PA, not the Hill Academy in Ontario.

Milliman's former Cornell player Donville is Canadian and played at St. Mike's—same school as Peshko/Raposo and '22 Collison—but the Maryland boards seem to think he's headed for Terpland. Harvard's Austin Madronic would be an interesting fit—from British Columbia and played at Culver, but don't think he's actually available until 2023.

The staff has shown a willingness to get involved in the portal with Fernandez/Kirson/Szuluk albeit not to a Corrigan degree. Very curious to see how they approach it this year given the roster/money situation although we're far from the only team dealing with that stuff.

I don't think we'll really be in the mix for Lulley from Penn or Khan from Villanova but in terms of maybe realistic options for us—Bartolo the towering middie from Penn could be fun. Presuming either Degnon or Grimes take the lefty attack spot next year, plus Baskin leaving for the portal, could open a little bit of room at the midfield.

The two ND attackmen in the portal are also interesting as well—Morin and Drake—both highly touted coming out of high school but with the exception of Morin's sophomore year, neither have played a lick for the Irish (same goes for Maher of UVA who can play both midfield and attack). Could be a reclamation project for another top program. I don't know if that'll be us but given Williams' departure perhaps they throw another body at the attack group.

I suspect we are probably out on goalies given the Amherst kid, Sgt. Friday incoming, and Marcille's recent emergence. Wouldn't discount it entirely but maybe it's no longer the most pressing need.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Thanks for the clarification '16 - details are important. Clearly I just lost my opportunity to work in Hopkins athletic administrative support.

If you are correct and the Blue Jays retain only Reinson, DeSimone, and Keogh and they keep all current underclassmen - my math puts the '22 roster at the '21 roster maybe +1 or thereabouts with the incoming 12 - still way too big.

So assuming no major departures from the top 10 scorers with eligibility left - other than Baskin - it will be interesting to see what they do with Williams spot (Grimes is the obvious first option) and the mid-fields. I don't subscribe that we need to keep the second line together and a line of Keogh and Angelus on the same one still means you are playing with 5 attackmen.

Goalie - if the ol Toby called - would you take it? One year? 8 out of his last 10 starts - 14 or more saves? His save percentage wasn't great in '21 but he saw ALOT of rubber. For one year - I probably wouldn't - unless I thought it was the single piece preventing a title. I know this will anger some - at least one - but I am not as sanguine about the goalie situation yet - 47% over 4 and a quarter games. I think we got really excited about a nice performance against an offensively challenged team and his best performance against a really good offensive team in Rutgers that may not have done the best job scouting him. It's not the hugest sample size but his worst game was his last by far. I would love to hear PM's and JK's unfiltered assessment of the goalie situation. I hope TM becomes an AA quality goalie and leads Hopkins to a title - nothing would make me happier in the sports watching world.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Re: roster size—if I had to guess I would say the chances we bring back every single underclassman are slim, but I don't have any concrete info there.

IF we are in the market for another goalie I think I'd most covet the Darmouth kid. Stats speak for themselves and he's done well against solid competition. In 2019 as a freshman he was above 50% against Penn, Harvard, and Brown and 43% against Yale. He's been above 50% in 12 of 16 career games, and all four of those sub 50 performances came as a freshman. Big frame at 6'5'', clearly values academics, would appear to be a good fit on paper though a) other teams (*cough* Duke) have likely reached the same conclusion and will be after his services as well and b) I suspect though do not know for certain that bringing in Versfeld from Amherst takes us out of the running for another portal goalie. If you're going to further bloat the roster then it probably makes more sense to at least diversify your portfolio and take a middie or something as opposed to another netminder.

Getting Fernandez back from injury (hopefully) is essentially like bringing in a new transfer with the added benefit that he's already assimilated to the culture. Also should be getting Chauvette back healthy who was a guy the staff was excited about prior to injury.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”