Duke
9%
UVA
26%

Total votes: 87

pcowlax

Re: Who Wins The National Title?

Post by pcowlax »

Essexfenwick wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:19 pm Yes with all the talent concentrated on a few teams this Terp team undefeated would be the greatest of all time.
Whooooa there cowboy! Not sure even many Maryland fans would go that far. Would be a great accomplishment but anyone claiming the best of all time has a pretty narrow of lax viewing
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

DMac wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:00 pm
DocBarrister wrote
And the 2005 Hopkins team was better than both of those.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvsKOk7budw
Syracuse cheated to build that team. That’s not my take ... that’s the NCAA’s.

I admire Coach Simmons’ accomplishments, but I don’t like the fact that he never fully acknowledged the cheating.

Again, if you have problems with that perspective, take it up with the NCAA.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

pcowlax wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:03 pm
Essexfenwick wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:19 pm Yes with all the talent concentrated on a few teams this Terp team undefeated would be the greatest of all time.
Whooooa there cowboy! Not sure even many Maryland fans would go that far. Would be a great accomplishment but anyone claiming the best of all time has a pretty narrow of lax viewing

I’m only going that far because it’s logical. Undefeated in the age of super teams and free agency of players will be the standard going forward. Lots of arguments can be made but none are as bulletproof or convincing.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Terps would be one of the three best this century.

But they need to get by a fantastic Cavalier team first.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DMac

Post by DMac »

Didn't post that for any of those reasons, Doc, just wanted you to hear what DP and Tierney had to say about the 90 team,
doesn't line up with your comment. JFTR, the 90 NC banner hanging in the Dome is my favorite of the eleven.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Don’t know if they’re the best team of all time or anything @, but certainly there have been many people, myself included, who thought the time of undefeated teams was over. There’s a reason it’s been 15 seasons since there was last one, the longest run between undefeated teams if Maryland does win on Monday. More talent now, especially in this year, talent is more dispersed across the entirety of D1, more threats than there were when we last had undefeated teams. It would be an achievement that merits Maryland’s inclusion in that conversation should it come
DMac

Post by DMac »

jrn19 wrote
Don’t know if they’re the best team of all time or anything @, but certainly there have been many people, myself included, who thought the time of undefeated teams was over.
This is anything but a normal schedule/season though.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

DMac wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:11 pm Didn't post that for any of those reasons, Doc, just wanted you to hear what DP and Tierney had to say about the 90 team,
doesn't line up with your comment. JFTR, the 90 NC banner hanging in the Dome is my favorite of the eleven.
I think that team was great, too. No team in lacrosse was even competitive with that 1990 Syracuse team that season.

Having said that, Simmons cheated. He wasn’t alone at Syracuse. Much of the Syracuse athletic department was corrupt in that era.

The NCAA's infractions committee report cited at least 42 violations in Syracuse University's athletic program.

... SU's maximum number of scholarships was exceeded between 1986 and 1991 in wrestling, lacrosse and football.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketba ... tacts.html

Sorry ... no team gets to be called the greatest if the team cheated to get there.

@DocBarrister
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:10 pm
Terps would be one of the three best this century.

But they need to get by a fantastic Cavalier team first.

DocBarrister
Oh that’s fine. If they win, one of the 3 best this century? I’m ok with that. THE best of all time? Not even close.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

DMac wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:16 pm
jrn19 wrote
Don’t know if they’re the best team of all time or anything @, but certainly there have been many people, myself included, who thought the time of undefeated teams was over.
This is anything but a normal schedule/season though.
That doesn’t change the path they’ll have gone through in the tournament if they win it, nor the dominance they exhibited throughout the regular season, and how incredibly hard it is in any season to go undefeated
DMac

Post by DMac »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:21 pm
DMac wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:11 pm Didn't post that for any of those reasons, Doc, just wanted you to hear what DP and Tierney had to say about the 90 team,
I think that team was great, too. No team in lacrosse was even competitive with that 1990 Syracuse team that season.

Having said that, Simmons cheated. He wasn’t alone at Syracuse. Much of the Syracuse athletic department was corrupt in that era.

The NCAA's infractions committee report cited at least 42 violations in Syracuse University's athletic program.

... SU's maximum number of scholarships was exceeded between 1986 and 1991 in wrestling, lacrosse and football.

Sorry ... no team gets to be called the greatest if the team cheated to get there.

While the other teams are without sin...or just haven't been investigated.
Two long distance calls by the lax boys...bfd. Roy's wife's co-signing on a car
loan was an act of kindness (PG's Canadian citizenship was the reason why),
there was no intent to cheat and that did nothing to build that team, it was
already built. I agree with Tierney and DP here...love that '90 banner.
Could care less about Boeheim and the hoops boys, am not a fan.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Want Syracuse to rebound and it looks like Navy is building. The original blue bloods are Hopkins, Maryland, Syracuse and Navy. UVA is on the edge of the club.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

DMac wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:36 pm

While the other teams are without sin...or just haven't been investigated.
Two long distance calls by the lax boys...bfd. Roy's wife's co-signing on a car
loan was an act of kindness (PG's Canadian citizenship was the reason why),
there was no intent to cheat and that did nothing to build that team, it was
already built. I agree with Tierney and DP here...love that '90 banner.
Could care less about Boeheim and the hoops boys, am not a fan.
Look, I’m more focused on this year’s Final Four.

But sorry, there’s no way Syracuse exceeded their allowed lacrosse scholarships between 1988 and 1990 without Simmons knowing about that. Also, co-signing a loan is a “classic” form of financial cheating in athletics ... indeed, one of the most iconic examples (it’s why it is cited in virtually every student-athlete handbook in the country).

The sad thing is, I think Simmons just got caught up in the general corrupt culture in Syracuse athletics during that era. He certainly didn’t need to cheat to win ... but he did ... and that is irrefutable.

Anyway, looking forward to what may be one of the best national championship games this century between Maryland and Virginia.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

As Hopkins is learning the hard way... https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/me ... e-programs
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

rasheed wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:04 pm

As Hopkins is learning the hard way... https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/me ... e-programs
Yep ... and as I stated on the Hopkins thread, that was completely inexcusable and an embarrassment to the university. As I also stated on the Hopkins thread, that’s not going to help Coach Pietramala’s job prospects.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:33 pm
rasheed wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:42 pm
. That's certainly saying something! That Cuse 1990 team wasn't too bad - neither was that Hoos team in 2006.

DocBarrister :D
I’ve been watching college lacrosse for a good 20 years now (nowhere near as long as many on this board, I’m sure) and that ‘06 UVA team was unlike anything I’ve ever seen, and I saw them in person a couple times that year. They’ll always be the gold standard in my eyes.
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

NYterp09 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:07 am
DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:33 pm
rasheed wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:42 pm
. That's certainly saying something! That Cuse 1990 team wasn't too bad - neither was that Hoos team in 2006.

DocBarrister :D
I’ve been watching college lacrosse for a good 20 years now (nowhere near as long as many on this board, I’m sure) and that ‘06 UVA team was unlike anything I’ve ever seen, and I saw them in person a couple times that year. They’ll always be the gold standard in my eyes.
I am biased, but I would agree. As one rival coach remarked, “They pass faster than other teams shoot.” Dixon, Thompson, and Poskay was an unreal midfield. Matt Ward was playing chess at that point.
FanLax Computer

Post by FanLax Computer »

#1 Maryland vs. #4 Virginia... Maryland.
“I do not fear computers. I fear lack of them.” -Isaac Asimov
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

The greatest team of all time was Cornell's 1976 national champions. Undefeated (16-0); every starter named an All America including 4 on the 1st Team, won the first 16 games of the 42 game winning streak that is still the record, including 5 victories over Johns Hopkins, pitched the only shutout in NCAA tournament history (14-0 against W&L), 6 members of the team are inducted into the National Lacrosse Hall of Fame, plus two coaches (Moran & Waldvogel), and named a Team Of Distinction by US Lacrosse. Get back to me with any other team in which every starter was an All America, and we'll compare the remaining credentials.
Oldbarndog

Post by Oldbarndog »

pcowlax wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:23 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:10 pm

Best team? (Of the shot clock era?)
"Dear Naps. Sorry I was such a jerk to you when I was a kid"

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”