UVA versus UNC

D1 Mens Lacrosse
CU77

Re: UVA versus UNC

Post by CU77 »

ggait wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:56 pm I haven't watched much lax in the last year or so.

So looking at this game with somewhat fresh eyes really showed me what a positive change the shot clock has been.

UVA had a fair chance to work the clock and squeeze the trailing team. But still had to play O. And UNC had a reasonable chance to get enough possessions to claw their way back. I don't think that second half would be nearly as good without the shot clock.

And I love love love that substitutions now happen as part of the game flow and are close to invisible. The worst part of the pre-shot clock game was the awful stand around for 30 seconds and make substitutions.
As a former die-hard shot-clock opponent, I agree with all this.

Now don't mess it up by shortening the time. It's good the way it is.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

CU77 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:15 pm
ggait wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:56 pm I haven't watched much lax in the last year or so.

So looking at this game with somewhat fresh eyes really showed me what a positive change the shot clock has been.

UVA had a fair chance to work the clock and squeeze the trailing team. But still had to play O. And UNC had a reasonable chance to get enough possessions to claw their way back. I don't think that second half would be nearly as good without the shot clock.

And I love love love that substitutions now happen as part of the game flow and are close to invisible. The worst part of the pre-shot clock game was the awful stand around for 30 seconds and make substitutions.
As a former die-hard shot-clock opponent, I agree with all this.

Wouldn’t shorten the time; but would have reset go to 60 instead of 80
ggait

Post by ggait »

At first, I thought 80 seconds was too long. But now I think 80 seconds is just right.

Short enough to mostly clean up the yuck -- egregious stalling, subjective mens rea determinations on whether a team really is/is not stalling, and stand around subs.

But long enough to still allow teams to play a slower pace if they want and also to work the clock.

UVA/UNC wasn't a crazy pace -- 43 SOGs. Just slightly above my 40 SOG minimum for watch-able lacrosse.

Reset to 60 seems to make sense, but not a big deal to me.
Last edited by ggait on Sat May 29, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
bananas

Post by bananas »

Great game by two fine teams . Hat's off to UNC on getting back into game , thought for sure another OT was about to happen.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

jrn19 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:35 pm Wouldn’t shorten the time; but would have reset go to 60 instead of 80
That's shortening the time! And I'm against it.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

bananas wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:55 pm Great game by two fine teams . Hat's off to UNC on getting back into game , thought for sure another OT was about to happen.
+1
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

CU77 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 4:06 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:35 pm Wouldn’t shorten the time; but would have reset go to 60 instead of 80
That's shortening the time! And I'm against it.
But the first 20 seconds is just to set up the clear. A reset at 60 is just eliminating the clear time
CU77

Post by CU77 »

I'm against eliminating the time for the clear. Why? IMO, teams should have the time to play as they want.

IMO, any kind of shot clock is against the spirit of the game, but is now necessary due to stick technology. I'd much rather "fix the sticks", but that ship sailed far too long ago.

Anyway, back to the UVA v UNC game! I was rooting for UNC, but expected UVA to win. I'm not an admirer of Breschi as an Xs and Os coach ...
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Carolina had many chances to push a little unsettled O and chose not to do it, credit to UVA D but still would have liked to see more push because in settled sets nobody could beat their man and passes were tentative. Again all credit to UVA D for making them tentative. Lot's of great rides as usual from both teams and man lots of contested ground balls. Hoos goalie was better today too
Oak St

Post by Oak St »

Heels didn’t play their best game but good enough to keep it close. Too many missed opportunities. Poor shot placement, 0-5 on EMO.. not what championship teams do

Maryland is on another level then the other 3

Terps by at least a handful on Monday
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Oak St wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:17 pm Heels didn’t play their best game but good enough to keep it close. Too many missed opportunities. Poor shot placement, 0-5 on EMO.. not what championship teams do

Maryland is on another level then the other 3

Terps by at least a handful on Monday
handful sounds like 4 or 5. i'll take it. pm me.
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

Tough loss for the Heels in a game that was winnable. After an abysmal second quarter, they showed real grit by climbing back in it. They had several opportunities to tie it up but UVA's defense proved to be too stout. I was stumped by Breschi going with Herbert at attack in the closing minutes instead of Solomon, Kelly or several others. Overall, a great season, There will be lots of big shoes to fill on the '22 squad.
Finish Strong
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Sportin' Life wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:52 pm Tough loss for the Heels in a game that was winnable. After an abysmal second quarter, they showed real grit by climbing back in it. They had several opportunities to tie it up but UVA's defense proved to be too stout. I was stumped by Breschi going with Herbert at attack in the closing minutes instead of Solomon, Kelly or several others. Overall, a great season, There will be lots of big shoes to fill on the '22 squad.
The personnel choice late in the game was baffling. It was Cook, Tillman, Gray at attack I think. They missed a couple key shot backups that definitely would have decided the game if they had not rode the ball back. Herbert was still running with the 1st mids, even though he hadn't done much besides run himself into a double team a couple times. Run Cook with the mids where he has been his whole career and keep Solomon or Kelly in the game. Chemistry felt off.

Hats off to Virginia. They dominated the 50-50 groundballs and faceoffs during the 2nd quarter and built their lead, and held onto the lead in the 2nd half with good defense and goaltending.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

They didn’t optimize their lineup well for the last two weeks when Cook went out. Herbert clearly wasn’t ready for this stage. Tillman sat on the bench too much. Too much mixing and matching at the end. Probably has something to do with why it felt like they weren’t playing their best lacrosse at the end of the year
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

CU77 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 4:09 pm
bananas wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:55 pm Great game by two fine teams . Hat's off to UNC on getting back into game , thought for sure another OT was about to happen.
+1
+2, though I was rooting for the game to be over without quite the nail biting at the end!

Two excellent teams...Bernhardt is gonna give UVA fits, as unlike the UNC tandem of Gray and Perry, UMD has more guys who can stick it in the back of the net...and Bernhardt is a force. For whatever reason, Duke had nothing that could stop him, then over slid to compensate and he ate them alive.

On the other hand, UMD doesn't ride like UNC, but UVA does...I see this as UMD surviving that pressure and Bernhardt putting on a show, but I'm rooting the other way...may come down to X or goaltending.
camskidamski

Post by camskidamski »

Will Perry had about as masterful a shooting performance yesterday as we have ever seen since....? (Perkovic vs Denver 2015 Semi)

Side note:

Shellenberger is about as good a freshman (yes redshirt, but regardless) as I think we have ever seen...
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

well, that was close. i don't think we all fully appreciate what it was like to every thursday and weekend have the top teams in the country go at it in the acc.

several times every weekend. just a rare thing, to have one conference provide not only such a high level of play, but competitiveness. i know i'll try when the season's over to look back on it with awe. and maybe relive and rewatch some of that era.
we likely won't see it anywhere ever again.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

wgdsr wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:15 am well, that was close. i don't think we all fully appreciate what it was like to every thursday and weekend have the top teams in the country go at it in the acc.

several times every weekend. just a rare thing, to have one conference provide not only such a high level of play, but competitiveness. i know i'll try when the season's over to look back on it with awe. and maybe relive and rewatch some of that era.
While I support the right of players to transfer for a fresh start, the wholesale transfer portal teams like Duke, Notre Dame and UNC are bad for the game and am glad they all lost. I am aware that all the teams in the final 4 have utilized it to some extent, but it sure would concern me as a recruit that a mercenary player would be brought in as a Grad student to take my starting spot for a year. Phew on the game........I get trying to milk the clock, with a big lead and a good D but taking our foot off the gas could have cost us the game. Our clearing game was completely exposed. If I am Maryland, weakness number 1............
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Duke, I could understand,
and really, once the floodgates opened, all teams were
all in on grad/one year transfers.

Once Duke won the Sowers sweepstakes,
and they got Adler, they’d already won the Brennan
O’Neill sweepstakes, then it was all in for a run at the
title.

I thought Sowers would have fit in better at Penn State
that he could have just moved right into that Grant
Ament slot, but, not nearly as much talent at Penn State
as Duke.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

wgdsr wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:15 am well, that was close. i don't think we all fully appreciate what it was like to every thursday and weekend have the top teams in the country go at it in the acc.

This is parody, right?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”