The Fourth Estate and Politics

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: The Fourth Estate and Politics

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

tech37 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:25 pm https://pagesix.com/2019/02/17/jussie-s ... ed-attack/

"Smollett, 36, also allegedly paid for the rope, which was purchased from the Crafty Beaver Hardware Store in the Ravenswood neighborhood the weekend of Jan. 25."

If I needed some hardware, I'd shop there too 8-)
Probably a good spot for “software”too!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:47 am
runrussellrun wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:25 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:20 am
runrussellrun wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:10 am I've checked WaPost, nytimes, chicago sun, boston globe, la, atlanta.....nothing.

It's just not news worthy that a white guy got attacked, on film, outside a McDonalds only yards away from the FBI building.....but jesse smollets 3 sides to every story narrative went 10 man ride after the fantastick noose/bleach lie went twatter, instachat land. Booker and Kamalia are no where to be found. :D

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-ent ... 9fb3e36fe4
Why traffic in this nonsense?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/op ... d118e5d690 :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess in Jesse's case, he is an actor on what is supposedly a popular TV show..... convict him for falsifying a police report.
what a lousy, contradictory, article TLD.
Stop. You know better. Or you should.
Saida Grundy.....I know she is still around. Anyone else? exactly.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:40 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:47 am
runrussellrun wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:25 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:20 am
runrussellrun wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:10 am I've checked WaPost, nytimes, chicago sun, boston globe, la, atlanta.....nothing.

It's just not news worthy that a white guy got attacked, on film, outside a McDonalds only yards away from the FBI building.....but jesse smollets 3 sides to every story narrative went 10 man ride after the fantastick noose/bleach lie went twatter, instachat land. Booker and Kamalia are no where to be found. :D

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-ent ... 9fb3e36fe4
Why traffic in this nonsense?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/op ... d118e5d690 :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess in Jesse's case, he is an actor on what is supposedly a popular TV show..... convict him for falsifying a police report.
what a lousy, contradictory, article TLD.
Stop. You know better. Or you should.
Saida Grundy.....I know she is still around. Anyone else? exactly.

Stop. It's embarrassing.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

This little clip proves how far out over the skis the sensationalism is with current media.

https://twitter.com/fuctupmike/status/1 ... 52128?s=21

#FakeNews is ruining us.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

There are nearly half as many newspaper journalists today as there were a decade ago. There are only a few organizations who own most of the newspapers and news stations that are available.

Fewer people to fact check, more pressure to make bucks. I'm not sure what the answer is to get the industry back to where it was, but it's a sad thing to see.

That being said, this kind of propaganda is a danger to America:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 9336855553
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

holmes435 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:16 am There are nearly half as many newspaper journalists today as there were a decade ago. There are only a few organizations who own most of the newspapers and news stations that are available.

Fewer people to fact check, more pressure to make bucks. I'm not sure what the answer is to get the industry back to where it was, but it's a sad thing to see.

That being said, this kind of propaganda is a danger to America:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 9336855553
This is a misrepresentation of what is going on. The grey ladies lost control, hence the two mega giants, lost control, of journalism....years ago.

They, along with many of you, despise any NEW agents of information. Lots and lots of websites, youtube channels, etc. to get your news from.

I mean, I learned (from the wrong kind of green) http://www.wrongkindofgreen.org/ that AOC's volunteer staff did a makeup video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv06T2XIUVY

leave NO stone unturned.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Holmes, I think you are really validating his point. By virtue of the 24.7 news cycle there are no checks and balances, if an error is made you simple edit the web page immediately or pump out the same story with a new headline. BHO said a very similar thing while in office. It is simply morphed into something uncontrollable.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

Yes. And you're left trusting Trump and our government's political leaders for the "real news". Sweet. And that, of course, is exactly what millions of Americans do.

And why? Because journalism isn't perfect, and because these people think that journalistic bias was invented in 1999.

I've said this before----make someone who believes this crap say it out loud without laughing: "I believe the leader of the Federal Government over any member of our free press".

"Yes, comrade. Of course I believe Government Leader Trump over the free press. Only leader Trump knows the truth. Now you'll excuse me while I stand for my State-mandated Loyalty Song!"
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:15 pm Holmes, I think you are really validating his point. By virtue of the 24.7 news cycle there are no checks and balances, if an error is made you simple edit the web page immediately or pump out the same story with a new headline. BHO said a very similar thing while in office. It is simply morphed into something uncontrollable.
The problem being that Trump's comments are directed at some of the more accurate and trustworthy news sources out there. Or any sources that criticize him.

If he was suggesting that we encourage more people to be journalists, increase journalistic standards and pay and offered suggestions to fix the 24/7 news cycle, then he might actually have a solid base to stand on.

He's trying to destroy trust in the news media in order to control the message, not to fix it's accuracy.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

holmes435 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:29 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:15 pm Holmes, I think you are really validating his point. By virtue of the 24.7 news cycle there are no checks and balances, if an error is made you simple edit the web page immediately or pump out the same story with a new headline. BHO said a very similar thing while in office. It is simply morphed into something uncontrollable.
The problem being that Trump's comments are directed at some of the more accurate and trustworthy news sources out there. Or any sources that criticize him.

If he was suggesting that we encourage more people to be journalists, increase journalistic standards and pay and offered suggestions to fix the 24/7 news cycle, then he might actually have a solid base to stand on.

He's trying to destroy trust in the news media in order to control the message, not to fix it's accuracy.
I disagree on your last comment diss. He has, on many occasions, commented about positive news departments other than Fox. And you also know his vernacular is such that a 3rd grader gets the jist of what he is saying. You should also know, there is no way in hell journalism will EVER give him a consistent positive message....which means he can tear it down all he wants, he ain't ever gonna make that happen. And I know you have seen poor journalism get worse and worse over the years....even in BHO's days.

I do agree with you 100%, that if he delivered his message more clearly he may see a change in what gets printed....but he seems incapable of backing down after he picks a fight.
~Livy
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

And I suppose the MSM hasn't tried to destroy trust in the president.

ex.For its report, the Media Research Center did a lot of visual spadework. It viewed some 1,007 evening news stories about the Trump White House on ABC, CBS and NBC from June 1 to Sept. 30. That's the equivalent of about 32.7 hours of coverage, by TV standards an eternity of news time.

What they found was, as Trump himself might say, sad: "Over the summer, the broadcast networks have continued to pound Donald Trump and his team with the most hostile coverage of a president in TV news history — 92% negative, vs. just 8% positive."
_Investors Business Daily 10/10/2018
Last edited by 6ftstick on Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

6ftstick wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:25 am

And I suppose the MSM hasn't died to destroy trust in the president.
All the MSM needs to do is print what he says...his lies are self-inflicted cuts, by the dozens. He is killing himself.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

For the Court-Nerds out there, check this out:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/1 ... 2_ihdk.pdf

This is Justice Thomas's opinion concurring in a denial of certiorari (appeal) to the SCOTUS. He urges the Court to reexamine the bedrock libel/defamation law. Take a look; I'd be very interested in anyone's/everyone's thoughts on the issues he raises and his thinking.

Oh, and you might consider (1) what Thomas is proposing here, and (2) who Thomas's wife is and how, on occasion, she is reported in the press.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

SO, is it just NOT newsworthy that Obama's corruption and 10 cents a year "rental" of Chicago City park land lawsuit is allowed to move forward?

https://www.apnews.com/1d045094f74f458dad75bd12183ee67c

City lawyers conceded Thursday that Chicago would pay an estimated $175 million to reconfigure roads to manage traffic around the center.

Tell us all again about building that, not, level playing fields, rich getting richer........isn't that the ranting lies of the pretends? What Lizzie Warren think about this boondoggle? Sure the "press" isn't interested in the hypocrizy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:34 am SO, is it just NOT newsworthy that Obama's corruption and 10 cents a year "rental" of Chicago City park land lawsuit is allowed to move forward?

City lawyers conceded Thursday that Chicago would pay an estimated $175 million to reconfigure roads to manage traffic around the center.

Tell us all again about building that, not, level playing fields, rich getting richer........isn't that the ranting lies of the pretends? What Lizzie Warren think about this boondoggle? Sure the "press" isn't interested in the hypocrizy
If it is a bad deal for the citizens of Chicago and a misappropriation of public land, send it some where else and let the federal government and private money pay for it.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:16 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:34 am SO, is it just NOT newsworthy that Obama's corruption and 10 cents a year "rental" of Chicago City park land lawsuit is allowed to move forward?

If it is a bad deal for the citizens of Chicago and a misappropriation of public land, send it some where else and let the federal government and private money pay for it.
not really the point, is it?

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/18/barack- ... n-eat.html

“In every country, just about, the disproportionate economic clout of those at the top has provided these individuals with wildly disproportionate influence on their countries’ political life and on its media; on what policies are pursued and whose interests end up being ignored,” Obama said.
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:27 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:16 pm

not really the point, is it?

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/18/barack- ... n-eat.html

“In every country, just about, the disproportionate economic clout of those at the top has provided these individuals with wildly disproportionate influence on their countries’ political life and on its media; on what policies are pursued and whose interests end up being ignored,” Obama said.
Is that supposed to be news?

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/01/ ... -in-europe
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

DON"T care about that. It's only the hypocrites.....just them.
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:49 pm DON"T care about that. It's only the hypocrites.....just them.
Fixated on former players...... Tim Nelson should have scored more.....

Return to “POLITICS”