Semifinal 1 -- UNC v. BC

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxphan20

Re: Semifinal 1 -- UNC v. BC

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Box score has BC with only TWO turnovers for the entire game. TWO!!!! Cleanest game of the year & peaking at the right time - huge credit to AWW, her staff, and her players
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

SU's #44, Emma Ward is the best player I've seen today. Freshman.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
njbill

Post by njbill »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:10 pm Box score has BC with only TWO turnovers for the entire game. TWO!!!! Cleanest game of the year & peaking at the right time - huge credit to AWW, her staff, and her players
? Box score has BC with 8 turnovers.

https://dbukjj6eu5tsf.cloudfront.net/si ... -NCAA1.pdf
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

njbill wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:16 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:10 pm Box score has BC with only TWO turnovers for the entire game. TWO!!!! Cleanest game of the year & peaking at the right time - huge credit to AWW, her staff, and her players
? Box score has BC with 8 turnovers.

https://dbukjj6eu5tsf.cloudfront.net/si ... -NCAA1.pdf
yup.. just refreshed my box score, ignore that.. still a very clean game though ha!
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Pulling for BC to win it all for 3 reasons

1) they have had too many heartbreakers
2) their coach is a Terp
3) I’m Catholic
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

Snog wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:32 pm Congrats to BC for taking down the Heels. Exciting game. Felt it came down to shooting. Carolina 34 shots 10 goals 11 saved wasted 13 shots. BC did much better 25 shots 8 saved 11 goals only 6 wasted. Big delta in a 1 goal game !!
UNC shot selection was brutal, stick side the entire game. no 2nd half adjustment what so ever.
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

njbill wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:11 pm I actually credit the BC win almost entirely to Hall. She is responsible for the poor shooting by Carolina, I think. A large percentage of Hall’s saves were very high quality. It wasn’t bad shots, it was great saves. When a goalie is playing at her level, 6’ by 6’ becomes 3’ by 3’.

Carolina crushed Boston College on the draw. North got zero draws. They held her to two goals on eight shots. She turned the ball over a few times. The game plan certainly was to shut her down. That plan was a success. (Once again Trenchard shut down North. Why Colson was a Tewaaraton finalist and Trenchard wasn’t is a travesty.)

Another part of UNC’s game plan was to win the draw. That part of the plan was a great success today.

North Carolina held BC to 11 goals. That should have been enough to win the game, and would have been but for Hall.

I’m willing to give the BC coach credit for getting her players pumped up to play a good, solid game. But that wouldn’t have been enough if Hall had only played a very good game.

North Carolina lost today primarily because they came up against a white hot goalie. It happens. That’s not to take anything away from BC’s historic win. A goalie is one of the 12 players. If one player plays out of this world, her team may win because of her performance, as happened today.
I disagree poor shot selection with no attempt to throw fakes were UNC 's downfall, shot stick side all game long.Hall baited them stick side all game. Having said that I do not wish to take anything away from BC or Hall but facts are facts. Surprised by UNC lack of poise.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I agree they should have faked more when they had the chance, but they didn’t always have the time. Disagree that all shots were stick side. And stick side isn’t always the wrong place to shoot.

Don’t know what you mean by lack of poise. Arguably they played tight at times, but that’s different than lack of poise.
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

njbill wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:08 pm I agree they should have faked more when they had the chance, but they didn’t always have the time. Disagree that all shots were stick side. And stick side isn’t always the wrong place to shoot.

Don’t know what you mean by lack of poise. Arguably they played tight at times, but that’s different than lack of poise.
I thought they played like they were double parked all day ......rushed their shots !
njbill

Post by njbill »

I can see why you would say that, but that is how they have shot all year, I think, and have been quite successful.

Probably will rewatch the game. Maybe I should take notes.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Itsall,

Rewatched the game and took notes. Not warranting that this is 100% accurate, but this is what I got. Seven goals off stick side. Three goals stick side.

Of the (on or off goal) shots that didn’t go in, 15 were stick side and nine were off stick. Of these 24 shots, more of the “bad” shots were stick side, but maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the 15 stick side shots were good shots in my view.

I noted no more than several times where I thought the shooter had time to fake and perhaps should have faked, but didn’t. Don’t think that was a material factor.

You could say some shots were rushed, but in this day and age, a huge percentage of college shots are rushed. Don’t think UNC shots were inappropriately “rushed.”

To me, the number one difference in the game was the goalie play. Swap the goalies and UNC wins.

Both defenses played very well. Expected, from UNC (BC didn’t score in the last 15 minutes of the game). Somewhat of a surprise (at least to me) from BC. BC did a great job shutting down Ortega and, in general, preventing UNC from getting the type of point blank open looks it was able to get for much of the season.
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

njbill wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:52 am Itsall,

Rewatched the game and took notes. Not warranting that this is 100% accurate, but this is what I got. Seven goals off stick side. Three goals stick side.

Of the (on or off goal) shots that didn’t go in, 15 were stick side and nine were off stick. Of these 24 shots, more of the “bad” shots were stick side, but maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the 15 stick side shots were good shots in my view.

I noted no more than several times where I thought the shooter had time to fake and perhaps should have faked, but didn’t. Don’t think that was a material factor.

You could say some shots were rushed, but in this day and age, a huge percentage of college shots are rushed. Don’t think UNC shots were inappropriately “rushed.”

To me, the number one difference in the game was the goalie play. Swap the goalies and UNC wins.

Both defenses played very well. Expected, from UNC (BC didn’t score in the last 15 minutes of the game). Somewhat of a surprise (at least to me) from BC. BC did a great job shutting down Ortega and, in general, preventing UNC from getting the type of point blank open looks it was able to get for much of the season.
I like your approach of watching again and taking notes, .perhaps my memory was only recalling the shots that were missed. Thanks for taking the time to review . I'm heading out to the Mens games shortly ,but will certainly have another look at this game this evening. Have a great weekend........keep an umbrella close by
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Anyone have a link to the post-game pressers for this game?
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

seacoaster wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:27 am Anyone have a link to the post-game pressers for this game?
I searched the NCAA website and youtube and found nothing so far.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Cletus wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:20 am
seacoaster wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:27 am Anyone have a link to the post-game pressers for this game?
Me too, and thanks for checking. I am normally pretty bad at locating this sort of stuff, so I assumed it was just me.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

seacoaster wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:07 am
Cletus wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:20 am
Me too, and thanks for checking. I am normally pretty bad at locating this sort of stuff, so I assumed it was just me.
Good chance it gets posted later. I'll keep an eye out.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Here's Gary Gait's presser if you haven't already seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzZ9ho894jc&t=5s
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Meaghan Tyrrell

Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Emma Tyrrell

seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Cletus wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:02 am
Here's Gary Gait's presser if you haven't already seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzZ9ho894jc&t=5s
Thanks.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”