THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:47 pm How many re-evaluations have we heard from Petro? After 2010, after 2011 playoff debacle, after the 2013 nightmare, after last seasons duke disaster. The defense debate used to be a doc b special after annual sankey/bitter scoreapaloozas against rob enright/john kelly/marshall burkhardt/castro.
Last season's Duke disaster? Duke was the better team but that was a 1-goal game in the 4th quarter before Duke pulled away again at the end. Not really a disaster. Just a lost a reasonably competitive game against a very good team. Two years ago (2017) was indeed a disaster, coming off the equally disastrous 2016, that led to the reforms we saw in 2018, which led to a pretty good season. Not saying much, but it was a marked improvement. So far in 2019, the Jays have regressed. Instead of taking another step to getting back to championship weekend form, it's been one step forward, two steps back for more than a decade now. This season is far from over, but given recent history there isn't much hope for a huge turnaround. Unless something changes immediately they'll need to go on another magical run like 2015 to even be in the conversation.

Joey won Big Ten freshman of the week, despite the 6-goal loss. So...there's that.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Drcthru wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:52 pm
10stone5 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:39 pm Are we sure RRR isn’t yet another fattylax personality ?
Doubt it. Check out rrr's posts.
One and the same
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Andersen

Post by Andersen »

Ignore status is the move for rrr, works great!
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:07 pm
jhu06 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:47 pm How many re-evaluations have we heard from Petro? After 2010, after 2011 playoff debacle, after the 2013 nightmare, after last seasons duke disaster. The defense debate used to be a doc b special after annual sankey/bitter scoreapaloozas against rob enright/john kelly/marshall burkhardt/castro.
Last season's Duke disaster? Duke was the better team but that was a 1-goal game in the 4th quarter before Duke pulled away again at the end. Not really a disaster. Just a lost a reasonably competitive game against a very good team. Two years ago (2017) was indeed a disaster, coming off the equally disastrous 2016, that led to the reforms we saw in 2018, which led to a pretty good season. Not saying much, but it was a marked improvement. So far in 2019, the Jays have regressed. Instead of taking another step to getting back to championship weekend form, it's been one step forward, two steps back for more than a decade now. This season is far from over, but given recent history there isn't much hope for a huge turnaround. Unless something changes immediately they'll need to go on another magical run like 2015 to even be in the conversation.

Joey won Big Ten freshman of the week, despite the 6-goal loss. So...there's that.
Losing Tinney and Fraser turned out to be much worse than could have been imagined. Of course, that doesn't excuse what's going on at the defensive end of the field. Any D with Foley, Rapine, Kuhn, Colwell, Reinson carrying poles shouldn't be getting lit up like this.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Andersen wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:06 pm Ignore status is the move for rrr, works great!
just like the future of hopkins successful lacrosse....except beating unc this weekend.....that'll show the world :idea: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

runrussellrun wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:55 pm
Andersen wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:06 pm Ignore status is the move for rrr, works great!
just like the future of hopkins successful lacrosse....except beating unc this weekend.....that'll show the world :idea: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
You, sir, are welcome to post on this or any site but, your narcissism and negativism will not go unchallenged. In the words of Churchill and Bertrand Russell...up yours!!!
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Ah.
Then it’s Pine Street under a new persona.
I remember that dude.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Got to change this up a bit.

I’m going to spend the season rooting for High Point.

Used to live near there.

Expect many more low points if I continue my mid-February strategy.

Must adapt.
CharmCityLaxMan

Post by CharmCityLaxMan »

Odd. Who votes? Do they watch the games?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

runrussellrun wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:27 am Hey Coach.....what does Foley do on Spencer's first possession ? yup.....takes the ball away. Now, Spencer picked up the gb, but isn't THAT the exact same thing you did to Gait? What your fellow Hopkins fans LOVE to show to prove you were better than, say, Wickwire.

Same as it evah was. Let the D have fun. Enough of the "schemes".
Yep.

Blue Jays threw a lot of different defensive schemes against Towson and Loyola ... none of them worked, and that’s the problem ... too many defensive schemes.

Why not do what Coach Petro has done many times before ... simplify the defense, practice a very few “schemes” A LOT, perfect those, and throw away the rest of the schemes.

The D looks absolutely confused. Keep it simple. Just practice the same thing over and over and let the chips fall where they may.

Congrats to Joey Epstein. Likely just the first of many accolades. Kid plays hard. Most memorable Joey E moment (for me) from the Loyola game? Epstein ran hard after a Loyola middie trying to clear the ball. He had absolutely no chance to catch the guy but kept running full speed until the Loyola kid crossed the midfield line. Reminded me of Charlie Hustle (Pete Rose). Joey Epstein may just be the Pete Rose of lacrosse, but without the gambling problem. Hard work, hustle, and practice, not great speed or size, being the secret of his success. Also doesn’t hurt that he has great vision from the x, like Wayne Gretzky working in his “office” behind the net.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:13 am Joey Epstein may just be the Pete Rose of lacrosse
Looking forward to hearing Quint make this comparison on the air. :lol:
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Hawkeye wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:06 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:33 am TV schedule is shaping up:

@ Princeton - ???
@ Syracuse - ???
@ Michigan - ???
@ Maryland - ???

Princeton, Syracuse, Michigan, and Maryland games do not yet have a TV home. I assume the latter two will be on Big Ten Network. Syracuse could be on ACC Network Extra (part of the ESPN app) like it was last year. Not sure about Princeton—historically that's been an ESPNU game but not this year. Perhaps it'll end up on the new streaming add-on, ESPN+.
Princeton game is confirmed for ESPN+ per the Princeton schedule: https://goprincetontigers.com/schedule. ... edule=1623

Syracuse game is confirmed for ACCNE per the Syracuse schedule: https://cuse.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=384

I share your thinking on the two Big Ten games that they are heading to BTN (praying they are not on BTN+).
Michigan and Maryland are now confirmed to be BTN games. The 2019 Hopkins tv schedule is complete.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
viper

Post by viper »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:13 am Joey Epstein may just be the Pete Rose of lacrosse
Why? Do you think he’s betting on hopkins games??????? :o :o
viper

Post by viper »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:41 am Got to change this up a bit.

I’m going to spend the season rooting for High Point.

Used to live near there.

Expect many more low points if I continue my mid-February strategy.

Must adapt.
Stevens Tech all the way my friend. The purity of D3 is rather refreshing!!!!!

Not for nothing but High Point coach is yet another Calvert Hall alum.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

CharmCityLaxMan wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:52 am
Odd? In what way is that odd? Find me a Big Ten freshman who had a better week. The kid had 6 points, 2 CT, and 0 turnovers. Who cares if his team lost. It certainly had nothing to do with his performance. We'll wait while you find us a freshman in the conference who had a better game this week.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Yeah...the disparity in penalties and "timer ons" had literally nothing to do with the artificial closeness of that game. THat the lord, king of kings, that we now have a shot clock. Does Hopkins still teach the "dip dodge" ? Precursor to the toe drag...............
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:16 am . Who cares if his team lost.
I know what you are saying but I'm pretty sure people care that his team lost. There wouldn't be 15+ pages in less than 10 days if Hopkins didn't play like dog doo in their last 2 games.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:13 am
runrussellrun wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:27 am Hey Coach.....what does Foley do on Spencer's first possession ? yup.....takes the ball away. Now, Spencer picked up the gb, but isn't THAT the exact same thing you did to Gait? What your fellow Hopkins fans LOVE to show to prove you were better than, say, Wickwire.

Same as it evah was. Let the D have fun. Enough of the "schemes".
Yep.

Blue Jays threw a lot of different defensive schemes against Towson and Loyola ... none of them worked, and that’s the problem ... too many defensive schemes.

Why not do what Coach Petro has done many times before ... simplify the defense, practice a very few “schemes” A LOT, perfect those, and throw away the rest of the schemes.

The D looks absolutely confused. Keep it simple. Just practice the same thing over and over and let the chips fall where they may.

DocBarrister 8-)
well, then. you may have finally gotten it.

the pete rose thingy seems a bit of a reach after one big game in a blowout, but hey --- i feel ya... have to look for positives somewhere.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:16 am
Odd? In what way is that odd? Find me a Big Ten freshman who had a better week. The kid had 6 points, 2 CT, and 0 turnovers. Who cares if his team lost. It certainly had nothing to do with his performance. We'll wait while you find us a freshman in the conference who had a better game this week.
I thought for sure he had a turnover, I remember mumbling to myself "welcome to d1", I keep seeing stick checked out of hands...but I did watch a ton of games last weekend.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:35 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:16 am
I thought for sure he had a turnover, I remember mumbling to myself "welcome to d1", I keep seeing stick checked out of hands...but I did watch a ton of games last weekend.
He was lucky not to have one—tried to force a skip pass through the defense that was deflected but ultimately recovered by the Jays. Still, it was a minor blemish on what was the lone bright spot for Hopkins on the day.

UNC has given up 9, 10, and 11 goals to a murderer's row of Mercer, Furman, and Havard the last three weeks so the Jays have no excuse not to put up 13+ on this team. The question is can this defense hold the Heels offense to fewer than that...signs are not positive. Albeit against weak competition, UNC has scored 50 goals in 3 games—almost 17 per game, right around what the Hopkins defense apparently likes to allow. They do not have a player close to Spencer's talent level but there's enough there—particularly at the midfield (Tanner Cook comes to mind) to give the Jays D some issues. Jays must "defend the knowns" and have a better plan for Cook than they did last year. As usual—keep faceoffs even, take care of the ball, don't panic on clears, don't slide when you don't need to, get just of smidgen of productivity out of the DeSimone/Concannon/Smith/etc midfield to support the attack...do all that and maybe the Jays get their first victory of the season on the road. This UNC team is not like the ones of 2011-2016 that used to be a Blue Jay nightmare. Lose this one and that might be the season for Petro and co.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”