UVA versus UNC

D1 Mens Lacrosse
molo

UVA versus UNC

Post by molo »

They split during the regular season. UVA had a cakewalk against GT. UNC took down Rutgers in OT. Who wins the rubber match?
faircornell

Re: UVA versus UNC

Post by faircornell »

Georgetown is a legit team. If UVA can bring the same fire, spirit and execution to the field as they did with Georgetown, it's difficult to see the Heels overcoming that. In this year's tournament, rankings, ratings and consensus thinking seem to have limited use. It's really which "team" shows up on the day for each opponent.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

UVA would seem to have more offensive firepower but that hasn’t always translated into a better offense. Their D was amazing vs GTown but over the course of the year you would probably give the D edge to UNC. FO edge to UVA. Goalie is fascinating with experience vs youth, would give it to Rode but close. So, based on my amateur assessment of talent, UVA “should” win. However, the 2 times they actually played tells a different story. Can’t wait for it.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

What's your prediction for the UNC-UVA game next Saturday?

<Mr.T. Pain gif>
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The close call against Bryant did for the Hoos exactly what I thought it would—lit a fire under them. Now, the same might happen for UNC, having just escaped Rutgers. Following my own logic that should mean UNC will be the hungrier, more energized team and win next weekend, but I can't shake the feeling that this UVA team is destined for a return to the title game. Sometimes things just click into place at the perfect time for teams and that looks like what happened to UVA today. It's happened a million times. A good but relatively inconsistent team just finds "it" during the tournament and becomes a great one. Reminds me of the 2011 UVA team. Nobody would have called them anything close to the frontrunners entering the tournament—had lost 4 of their last 6. Beat Bucknell in a squeaker and then played lights out for the rest of the tourney from that point forward as a #7 seed.
molo

Post by molo »

This year’s UVA team is better than the 2011 version, as was the 2010 team. The 2011 team played zone and stalled to beat Maryland in the NC. The shot clock would render that kind of play obsolete. This year’s team is clearly a top four team in a year when the rules reward talent over gimmicks.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

pcowlax wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:33 pm UVA would seem to have more offensive firepower but that hasn’t always translated into a better offense. Their D was amazing vs GTown but over the course of the year you would probably give the D edge to UNC. FO edge to UVA. Goalie is fascinating with experience vs youth, would give it to Rode but close. So, based on my amateur assessment of talent, UVA “should” win. However, the 2 times they actually played tells a different story. Can’t wait for it.
Interesting.... I have no idea who will win but coaching should figure heavily into it.
Bacondoesstuff

Post by Bacondoesstuff »

based off what we saw this past weekend, I'm going UVA. The Defense is gigantic/long, when you're actually on the field playing against them, it probably looks pretty hard to get passes through them when their sticks are up in passing lanes.
Bacondoesstuff

Post by Bacondoesstuff »

based off what we saw this past weekend, I'm going UVA. The Defense is gigantic/long, when you're actually on the field playing against them, it probably looks pretty hard to get passes through them when their sticks are up in passing lanes.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Heels peaked too soon perhaps? UVA peaking at right time?

Gonna be close but my money is on Cavs.
UVAlaxfan

Post by UVAlaxfan »

molo wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:55 pm This year’s UVA team is better than the 2011 version, as was the 2010 team. The 2011 team played zone and stalled to beat Maryland in the NC. The shot clock would render that kind of play obsolete. This year’s team is clearly a top four team in a year when the rules reward talent over gimmicks.
I need to go watch that game again. Other thing that helped of course is we started playing Matt White more, plus steele stanwick. Beat Cornell and Denver by 4 and 6 goals on the way to the final so didn't stall agains them. Team did play zone, and had cut some players loose. 9-7 does suggest stall ball...but would be interesting to see how many times 80 second clock came into play watching an old game.

As for this UVA UNC game, I think it is a coin flip. I think all the games are this weekend.
Laxing97

Post by Laxing97 »

This game can come down to to the last second. IMO the UNC game came down to 1 play, a great defensive of play by their offensive star. This game has the potential for the same result. The team that digs deeper and plays outside the box will win this game
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

UVAlaxfan wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:29 am
molo wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:55 pm This year’s UVA team is better than the 2011 version, as was the 2010 team. The 2011 team played zone and stalled to beat Maryland in the NC. The shot clock would render that kind of play obsolete. This year’s team is clearly a top four team in a year when the rules reward talent over gimmicks.
I need to go watch that game again. Other thing that helped of course is we started playing Matt White more, plus steele stanwick. Beat Cornell and Denver by 4 and 6 goals on the way to the final so didn't stall agains them. Team did play zone, and had cut some players loose. 9-7 does suggest stall ball...but would be interesting to see how many times 80 second clock came into play watching an old game.

As for this UVA UNC game, I think it is a coin flip. I think all the games are this weekend.
Steele was one of the best there was.

I’d like to believe Stanwick would have thrived in
the shot clock era.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Both final four games should be tremendous.

As a UVA fan, I worry that the easy win for the Hoo's gives a mental advantage to UNC.

The hot goalie wins this one. Rode was not tested at all this weekend - hopefully he sees a LOT of shots in practice this week.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

I think uva wins easily. Their dinosaur defenders have improved since the last time they played, as have their offensive stars.
molo

Post by molo »

I still think any game that pits one remaining ACC team against another is a pick 'em, but I think the team that has been the best in the country for most of the year could be vulnerable to the team that knows how to peak at the right time. That would be the team that went into championship weekend a couple years ago generally considered an underdog against Duke and the defending champion, who had blitzed the supposed PSU juggernaut.
45wewantmore

Post by 45wewantmore »

ACC vs ACC

This game should be played Thursday night under the lights

As with all Thursday night games it will be 13-12 OT

Lacrosse will be the Winner

Go back and watch opening game of the season 24-13 W vs Denver

I agree with previous poster, UNC peaked in the 1st half of that game, shot the lights out

UVA with Lars have good mojo from last FF

UVA by a smidgen

Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

UNC is really good, but Va w all that championship weekend experience will be tough. LaSalla and Rode being tough up the middle get it done.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

keno in reno wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:19 am I think uva wins easily. Their dinosaur defenders have improved since the last time they played, as have their offensive stars.
I don’t expect anything to come easy for any of the 4 teams. All 4 are very complete and it may come down to a hot goalie, face off man, coaching, or similar as to who wins. Regardless of that, the 1 change for Virginia, since their last meeting, is the insertion of the 6 7”monster 1st year Kaestner as the #1 cover at Close D. He dominated Georgetown’s Teewarton finalist, Caraway in the last game. Caraway finished with 1 assist and 6 turnovers. I am assuming he draws Chris Gray, who is even better. That will be an interesting match up to watch.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

blue angels wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:57 am
keno in reno wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:19 am I think uva wins easily. Their dinosaur defenders have improved since the last time they played, as have their offensive stars.
I don’t expect anything to come easy for any of the 4 teams. All 4 are very complete and it may come down to a hot goalie, face off man, coaching, or similar as to who wins. Regardless of that, the 1 change for Virginia, since their last meeting, is the insertion of the 6 7”monster 1st year Kaestner as the #1 cover at Close D. He dominated Georgetown’s Teewarton finalist, Caraway in the last game. Caraway finished with 1 assist and 6 turnovers. I am assuming he draws Chris Gray, who is even better. That will be an interesting match up to watch.
I think Carraway was a bit too over-the-top with his goal celebrations vs SU. Kaestner + karma? ;)

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”