Maryland
73%
Duke
27%

Total votes: 51

3rdPersonPlural

Re: Maryland vs Duke

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

Maryland has to play an entire 'top of the ACC' schedule in 2 weekends to win the Natty.

Notre Dame, then Duke on Saturday and either UNC or UVA on Monday.

Bless their hearts!
45wewantmore

Post by 45wewantmore »

Coach Benson has the Terp's offense humming like a finely tuned F1 Mercedes

Duke's offense is mistiming and needs new spark plugs

Michael Sowers can be a game changer

whoever players better between #23 Duke & #1 UMD plays Monday & wins Tewaaraton

Maryland have that undefeated "Team of Destiny" look

of course this presumes no phantom crossbar goals a la UVA 2019 :lol:
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

45wewantmore wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:21 pm
whoever players better between #23 Duke & #1 UMD plays Monday & wins Tewaaraton
I think that's baloney. Bernhardt is clearly the best player in lacrosse this year and would deserve it even if Notre Dame had won yesterday. Pat Spencer didn't even make the final 4 his senior year and was the clear cut winner, just like Jared is this year. I am sure that Rutgers and Notre Dame, 2 teams that have faced at least 2 of the 3 top guys, would agree it's not even close.
HU34

Post by HU34 »

It's Bernhardt's to lose but if either Sowers or Gray go off in back to back games to win the title they will win it.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

if anyone but bernhardt wins it, it's a ff showcase (this year) only. and i haven't agreed with that take.

he has easily been the best player, and it's not close.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Feels like we're at "Bernhardt is the best player no matter what happens." Frankly I don't think there's anything Sowers could do that would merit it; it would strictly be a lifetime achievement award. And have tons of respect for the player Sowers has been for so long; been a 1st Team AA type since Day 1. But this year he hasn't been on Bernhardt's level.

Gray I would be a bit more willing to work with if he had a monster F4 for UNC and Bernhardt was quiet vs Duke in a loss. But he' s been the best player.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jrn19 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:11 pm Feels like we're at "Bernhardt is the best player no matter what happens." Frankly I don't think there's anything Sowers could do that would merit it; it would strictly be a lifetime achievement award. And have tons of respect for the player Sowers has been for so long; been a 1st Team AA type since Day 1. But this year he hasn't been on Bernhardt's level.

Gray I would be a bit more willing to work with if he had a monster F4 for UNC and Bernhardt was quiet vs Duke in a loss. But he' s been the best player.
Jared’s to lose.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:19 pm if anyone but bernhardt wins it, it's a ff showcase (this year) only. and i haven't agreed with that take.

My son agrees with you.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

I still think its a three man race between Bernhardt, Sowers, and Gray. Obviously if they were giving the Tewaaraton out today it would go to Bernhardt, but I think if you carry your team to a national championship it makes up for a lot. I honestly doubt Duke will win it all this year unless Sowers plays absolutely out of his mind, and I think I'd have a hard time not giving it to him if that happens. I think Carolina could win it without Gray putting the team on his back, but if he does, the same goes for him.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

wgdsr wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:19 pm if anyone but bernhardt wins it, it's a ff showcase (this year) only. and i haven't agreed with that take.

Lacrosse is the only sport that I know that picks its POY based on postseason success, which makes no sense. The Tewaaraton should be awarded to the best player during the regular season and another award should go to the best player in the tournament - let's call it the McEneaney trophy. If Bernhardt is the best player in the country this year, awarding him the Tewaaraton should not depend on whether his team wins the next game or two. That always bothered me about the Tewaaraton Award. It is theoretically awarded to the best individual player in lacrosse, not the best player on one of the teams that plays/wins on Memorial Day weekend or wins the championship.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Chousnake wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:42 am

Lacrosse is the only sport that I know that picks its POY based on postseason success, which makes no sense. The Tewaaraton should be awarded to the best player during the regular season and another award should go to the best player in the tournament - let's call it the McEneaney trophy. If Bernhardt is the best player in the country this year, awarding him the Tewaaraton should not depend on whether his team wins the next game or two. That always bothered me about the Tewaaraton Award. It is theoretically awarded to the best individual player in lacrosse, not the best player on one of the teams that plays/wins on Memorial Day weekend or wins the championship.
i haven't agreed with the take that it's a postseason award. postseason has been inclusive, imo.

my belief system may be crushed if anyone else wins it this year.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

wgdsr wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:32 am

i haven't agreed with the take that it's a postseason award. postseason has been inclusive, imo.

It's been inconsistent. There have been years that postseason was largely irrelevant, such as when Lyle Thompson and Peter Baum won. And then there have been years when it was clearly based on postseason success, such as Steele Stanwick winning in 2011 over Rob Pannell.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

You won't find out how the committee whether it's a postseason award this season, because MD will win the title and Bernhardt will win the T.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Chousnake wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:08 am

It's been inconsistent. There have been years that postseason was largely irrelevant, such as when Lyle Thompson and Peter Baum won. And then there have been years when it was clearly based on postseason success, such as Steele Stanwick winning in 2011 over Rob Pannell.
again, don't agree. i'll be very surprised if gray or sowers takes it. very surprised in the post-covid sense.
Bacondoesstuff

Post by Bacondoesstuff »

Who is best defenseman on the field this game? Grill has been really really good. Feisty. great feet. impressive to watch.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Bacondoesstuff wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:15 am Who is best defenseman on the field this game? Grill has been really really good. Feisty. great feet. impressive to watch.
Makar or Grill. JTGH hasn't been up to the standard and plaudits that he gets this year. Brower is extremely talented and already quite good, but still a little raw.
Typical Lax Dad

Wheels wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:42 pm Makar on Sowers.

Grill on O'Neill.

Rahill will have to contain Robertson.

On the other end, Duke is going to have problems on and off ball. They've been struggling off ball lately. Who takes Bernhardt?
Grill on Sowers would probably be better. I would start that way.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:47 am

Grill on O'Neill.

On the other end, Duke is going to have problems on and off ball. They've been struggling off ball lately. Who takes Bernhardt?
Grill matches up better with O’Neill because of his physicality. He’s tended to draw the biggest attackmen the opponent had and/or the best shooter. He was matched up on LeClaire a lot when they played OSU. And on Williams some against Hopkins

Makar has a size advantage on Sowers and the foot speed to stay with him so that’s a good matchup
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Don’t think Sowers has any chance of winning it
Typical Lax Dad

jrn19 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:42 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:47 am

Grill on O'Neill.

Grill matches up better with O’Neill because of his physicality. He’s tended to draw the biggest attackmen the opponent had and/or the best shooter. He was matched up on LeClaire a lot when they played OSU. And on Williams some against Hopkins

Makar has a size advantage on Sowers and the foot speed to stay with him so that’s a good matchup
Ok. Size on Sowers is not as advantageous as quick feet. Both good defenders. Beyond that....scheme is important.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”