THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Hopkins is playing more defenses than the mid-2000s when you had the man down units and basically one thing: the Tierney style close in D that only gave up shots from certain longer distance areas with a higher probability of the goalie saving them because he knew where to expect them.

One major downside of that D was that if they got way behind in the score, their goose was cooked. Couldn’t take the ball away. Offense couldn’t comeback, and you watched a slow death. Reminds me of a quarterfinal loss to MD at Navy.

In the past few years, with the clamor to press out on D, they’ve been moderately successful, but in the end get picked apart and blown away in the playoffs.

This year, due to the shot clock, Hopkins is playing more 6v6 zone than I have ever seen. That’s not going well either.

I can only imagine that practice has so many defensive schemes now, they are not doing any ONE of them well.

Nor do they have the size and athletes to do so. Or, at least not the right six on the field.

It’s a cluster.

No cats today - don’t want to perpetuate the hostility from some.

Anyone here know how to track down CC? Need to get him back onboard.

W
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

And wow, High Point beat UVa. Two nice goals to wrap it up.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:31 am

Anyone here know how to track down CC? Need to get him back onboard.
Isn't he 51percentcorn?
jhu06 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:38 pm Forry Smith-committed to Johns Hopkins November 2012
High Point University Mens lacrosse-began play Spring 2013

JHU lacrosse-outscored 70-31 last 4 meetings against Duke-all losses.
HPU lacrosse defeated Duke 13-9 in durham this year.
Hopkins lacrosse last win at duke 2004.
Not trying to take anything away from High Point, who are clearly a better team at this point than the Jays are. But playing Duke in February is not the same as playing them in May. Danowski's Duke teams have historically performed poorly early on only for them to steadily improve over the course of the season and play their best ball in April/May. One can only hope the 2019 Blue Jays are on a similar trajectory... :roll:

As Wombat mentioned, HPU did beat Virginia as well last night, so they're certainly legit. Underscores how utterly meaningless January scrimmage scores are. We "beat" High Point on Jan. 26, only to go get blown out in our first two real games while they've gone and beat two ACC teams.

Maryland appears to have done pretty well I'd say despite being one of the primary early recruiters. UNC has had its struggles but did win a championship not three years ago. Early recruiting may not have gone according to plan but our problems do not start and end there. There is more than enough talent and athleticism on this roster for the team to be doing better than it currently is doing. It's not being maximized. Quint said it best on the Loyola broadcast I think—a lot of good parts, when added together, fail to equal the sum of those parts.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Quint said something in the Loyola broadcast that I found absolutely terrible.

During the late 1Qtr, early 2Qtr, they had a brief clip on what the flags that are attached to net of each goal mean.

After explaining that they honor those lacrosse alumni who have lost their lives in war, he said, and I quote verbatim:

“It reeks of tradition.”

Reeks?

If he is on here, I’d like him to explain that one.

He goes out of his way to distance himself from Hopkins, but that was his absolute lowest point yet.

Absolutely awful choice of words.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

The 2016......that Duke team had seven 'early season" losses.......only in the myth making world that IS college lacrosse at the Div. I level invites a team with a .58 winning percentage. And, any team that loses to Harvard should be put on probation for two years. ;)
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:45 am Quint said something in the Loyola broadcast that I found absolutely terrible.

During the late 1Qtr, early 2Qtr, they had a brief clip on what the flags that are attached to net of each goal mean.

After explaining that they honor those lacrosse alumni who have lost their lives in war, he said, and I quote verbatim:

“It reeks of tradition.”

Reeks?

He goes out of his way to distance himself from Hopkins, but that was his absolute lowest point yet.

I have to believe that Quint was not an English major at Hopkins.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:45 am Quint said something in the Loyola broadcast that I found absolutely terrible.

“It reeks of tradition.”

Reeks?

His often calls for injuring/bloody-ing some player on the field....is that really the way we teach the game?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Hey Coach.....what does Foley do on Spencer's first possession ? yup.....takes the ball away. Now, Spencer picked up the gb, but isn't THAT the exact same thing you did to Gait? What your fellow Hopkins fans LOVE to show to prove you were better than, say, Wickwire.

Same as it evah was. Let the D have fun. Enough of the "schemes".
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

“It reeks of tradition.”

Reeks?

He sounded "choked UP" when explaining the meaning of the stars. To me, anyway. Don't think the word "reek" was appropriate, but, he's a Hopkins grad. You expecting command of the english language ;)
rc13

Post by rc13 »

They are trying to attract student fans-not sure they're going about it the right way. I think they really expected the new mascot to be a game changer, and that the video/interview would be well-received.

Video: https://www.facebook.com/johnshopkinsun ... 217376543/

Interview: https://hub.jhu.edu/2019/02/18/blue-jay-makeover/
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Except for football and basketball, college sports attendance is down everywhere. This year's national championship game in soccer had an attendance of under 5K (I was there). There are many reasons for this, discussed endlessly already, but the Jays are unlikely to be any more successful than anyone else is at reversing this trend.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

runrussellrun wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:38 am

“It reeks of tradition.”

Reeks?

He sounded "choked UP" when explaining the meaning of the stars. To me, anyway. Don't think the word "reek" was appropriate, but, he's a Hopkins grad. You expecting command of the english language ;)
Maybe not an 18 year old, or a 22 year old, but someone 50+ years old, absolutely yes.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

CU77 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:34 am Except for football and basketball, college sports attendance is down everywhere. This year's national championship game in soccer had an attendance of under 5K (I was there). There are many reasons for this, discussed endlessly already, but the Jays are unlikely to be any more successful than anyone else is at reversing this trend.
What bet did you lose to have to watch a soccer match? :D
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

CU77 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:34 am Except for football and basketball, college sports attendance is down everywhere. This year's national championship game in soccer had an attendance of under 5K (I was there). There are many reasons for this, discussed endlessly already, but the Jays are unlikely to be any more successful than anyone else is at reversing this trend.
Even football is not immune:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/college-fo ... 1535634001

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ear ... cd4285f058
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

rc13 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:43 am They are trying to attract student fans-not sure they're going about it the right way. I think they really expected the new mascot to be a game changer, and that the video/interview would be well-received.

Video: https://www.facebook.com/johnshopkinsun ... 217376543/

Interview: https://hub.jhu.edu/2019/02/18/blue-jay-makeover/
He's no Gritty Image
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:31 am There is more than enough talent and athleticism on this roster for the team to be doing better than it currently is doing. It's not being maximized. Quint said it best on the Loyola broadcast I think—a lot of good parts, when added together, fail to equal the sum of those parts.
One, I don't think there is the talent on this team that you think there is at least it's not to a level it should be, but, if you believe the talent level is fine (and been that way for a while) the only alternative is that coaching isn't working. I think it is both. The talent level is average and I thinking the coaches do not put them in positions to succeed. I think Petro's defense is antiquated by being overly complex for no reason that to justify his defensive stats. The best defenses are those that play straight man-to-man - ND and UMd come to mind.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

runrussellrun wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:41 pm
What bet did you lose to have to watch a soccer match? :D
I think we should change rrr's name to nnn-nattering nabob of negativism!
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Are we sure RRR isn’t yet another fattylax personality ?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

How many re-evaluations have we heard from Petro? After 2010, after 2011 playoff debacle, after the 2013 nightmare, after last seasons duke disaster. The defense debate used to be a doc b special after annual sankey/bitter scoreapaloozas against rob enright/john kelly/marshall burkhardt/castro.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:39 pm Are we sure RRR isn’t yet another fattylax personality ?
Doubt it. Check out rrr's posts.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”