Semifinal 2 -- Syracuse v. Northwestern

D1 Womens Lacrosse
seacoaster

Semifinal 2 -- Syracuse v. Northwestern

Post by seacoaster »

We all expect an absolute slugfest, right?

Syracuse can score on NU, if they have the ball enough. Northwestern can score whenever they have the ball, so far this year anyway. But the Cuse defense is the best NU will have seen this year. This game is pretty much a jump ball.
Matnum PI

Re: Semifinal 2 -- Syracuse v. Northwestern

Post by Matnum PI »

I'm hoping for NU to win by 5 or more (despite being an SU fan) in order to set-up an epic final with UNC.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Matnum PI wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:59 am I'm hoping for NU to win by 5 or more (despite being an SU fan) in order to set-up an epic final with UNC.
Agreed. I'd rather see NU vs UNC for the first time than SU vs UNC part III
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Matnum PI wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:59 am I'm hoping for NU to win by 5 or more (despite being an SU fan) in order to set-up an epic final with UNC.
If Syracuse wins, do you give them a chance against NC? What does the computer calculate as the odds for that matchup at this stage?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Cletus wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:39 pm If Syracuse wins, do you give them a chance against NC? What does the computer calculate as the odds for that matchup at this stage?
Personally, no. Anything is possible but... No.
As for FanLax Computer, he doesn't predict the future, he evaluates the past. i.e. He'll just say that UNC is higher ranked based on their Ws and Ls and, as a consequence, should win.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Watching NU vs Dook. Looks to me like NU backer is in 3 seconds about 50% of the time. Of course, if no whistle, it’s a brilliant strategy. Will be interesting of refs in semis decide to call them on it.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

NU has always played that way.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:22 pm Watching NU vs Dook. Looks to me like NU backer is in 3 seconds about 50% of the time. Of course, if no whistle, it’s a brilliant strategy. Will be interesting of refs in semis decide to call them on it.
Dang. Now I am going to have to postpone watching Mare of Easttown and City on a Hill to review some NU tape. Gotta prep for the BC/NU final on Monday. Those refs are gonna need my help.
njbill

Post by njbill »

They aren't going to need much help on Monday. :lol:
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

So who you got in this game? ACC battle hardened, slightly depleted but doesn’t seem to matter Cuse? Or how good can they be in the Big10, yeah they score 21 against everybody but who did they play, NU Cats?
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

Laxallday wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:47 am So who you got in this game? ACC battle hardened, slightly depleted but doesn’t seem to matter Cuse? Or how good can they be in the Big10, yeah they score 21 against everybody but who did they play, NU Cats?
Def Cuse here. They have been dragged thru the injury mud. Yet found new life in younger players. Cockerille needs to step up. Been flat. But gold stock has her eye on the prize this year. And Simkins is the unsung hero on this team. Scane will be hard to stop but not sure they can come out on top
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Laxallday wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:47 am So who you got in this game? ACC battle hardened, slightly depleted but doesn’t seem to matter Cuse? Or how good can they be in the Big10, yeah they score 21 against everybody but who did they play, NU Cats?
Wildcats beat Denver by 15 in the 2nd round and Duke in the quarterfinals by 12. I don’t think you can sneeze at NU dragging Maryland three times either. We’ll definitely see how good they are in a few days...or not.
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

Cletus wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:08 am
Wildcats beat Denver by 15 in the 2nd round and Duke in the quarterfinals by 12. I don’t think you can sneeze at NU dragging Maryland three times either. We’ll definitely see how good they are in a few days...or not.
That’s not an answer! I got NU by 5 after a physical and close first half.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Laxallday wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:33 am
Cletus wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:08 am
That’s not an answer! I got NU by 5 after a physical and close first half.
We’ll see—that’s my answer. This game is too close to call for me, but I’ll love it if your prediction comes to pass.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

18 - 17 NU in OT. Absolute Slugfest with a ton of offense. That's what I would like to see. However, If Gary plans to slow the ball down like he did in the last SU vs UNC game you could see a 10-9 score as well.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Am a Syracuse fan especially given how they've responded to the injuries and am a big GG fan as well. Love to see them win this game. I honestly don't know how good NU is at this point having played all their games against a very average BIG field and then tournament games against Denver and Duke, they've had the easiest path to get to the final 4.

If Syracuse doesn't give the game away with unforced turnovers and sloppy play they can win this one by 3+ goals. Looking forward to watching this one.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

8meterPA wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:11 am Am a Syracuse fan especially given how they've responded to the injuries and am a big GG fan as well. Love to see them win this game. I honestly don't know how good NU is at this point having played all their games against a very average BIG field and then tournament games against Denver and Duke, they've had the easiest path to get to the final 4.

If Syracuse doesn't give the game away with unforced turnovers and sloppy play they can win this one by 3+ goals. Looking forward to watching this one.
Agree, it’s definitely a tossup. I’ve got Cuse but I could see NU coming away with it if the Orange beat themselves up
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

3 ACC teams left in the NCAA field and 1 Big10. Have only one common opponent between them, Duke. Let's see how each team did vis a vis Duke on a few key stats like score, shots, draws that could be considered indicators:

UNC/Duke Game 1 - Score UNC 13-6, shots UNC 28-18, draws UNC 11-10
UNC/Duke Game 2 - Score UNC 12-11, shots UNC 28-29, draws UNC 8-17
Cuse/Duke - Score Cuse 15-5, shots Cuse 33-24, draws Cuse 11-11
BC/Duke - Score BC 17-15, shots BC 34-25, draws BC 19-15
NU/Duke - Score NU 22-10, shots NU 44-26, draws NU 21-13

Biggest Diff vs Duke - Score NU by 12, shots NU by 18, draws NU by 8

Maybe the we don't know how good NU or the Big10 are is getting a little old? Can we talk about matchups and strengths and weaknesses now please?
This is going to be a great game!
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Laxallday wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:00 pm Maybe the we don't know how good NU or the Big10 are is getting a little old? Can we talk about matchups and strengths and weaknesses now please?
Nope—not till after the Syracuse game. Still don’t have enough data. Duke ain’t Syracuse.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Laxallday wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:00 pm 3 ACC teams left in the NCAA field and 1 Big10. Have only one common opponent between them, Duke. Let's see how each team did vis a vis Duke on a few key stats like score, shots, draws that could be considered indicators:

UNC/Duke Game 1 - Score UNC 13-6, shots UNC 28-18, draws UNC 11-10
UNC/Duke Game 2 - Score UNC 12-11, shots UNC 28-29, draws UNC 8-17
Cuse/Duke - Score Cuse 15-5, shots Cuse 33-24, draws Cuse 11-11
BC/Duke - Score BC 17-15, shots BC 34-25, draws BC 19-15
NU/Duke - Score NU 22-10, shots NU 44-26, draws NU 21-13

Biggest Diff vs Duke - Score NU by 12, shots NU by 18, draws NU by 8

Maybe the we don't know how good NU or the Big10 are is getting a little old? Can we talk about matchups and strengths and weaknesses now please?
This is going to be a great game!
sorry, IMO it's not getting old and is a huge part of the conversation. Strength - playing an ACC schedule all year, Weakness - playing a BIG schedule all year. You can have that conversation and still agree that it will be a great match up and great game. Maybe NU is so good, it doesn't matter what their schedule was. We'll find out on Sunday how big a strength/weakness it was for each team.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”