UNC
60%
Rutgers
40%

Total votes: 45

CU77

Re: UNC vs Rutgers

Post by CU77 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:00 pm You don’t keep that timeout in your pocket when you see Chris Gray running up behind your middie.
Because Chris Gary, a 5-7 170 attackman, is especially fearsome on defense???
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:59 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:51 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:29 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:23 pm whatever dude. i generally speaking enjoy hearing your takes and analysis.

as you did here, you like to get a bit acerbic. get yourself surprised when it comes back at you.

don't be doc.
I'm not attacking anyone here personally. I thought Rutgers should have called a timeout, as did others. Sue me.

a fan was somehow able to have a respectful discussion with me about the game without prematurely sh*tting on everyone else for not knowing the rules and then being dismissive for seeing it differently—and then, on top of that, going after my experience in the game as if that, even if true, somehow invalidates the mere thought that maybe the coach should have called a timeout.
i said other people (not you) didn't know the rules. actually, 2 1/2 out of 4, not 1, were talking about riding and clearing.

again, you can expect it both ways at times, hopfan. you seem you have thick enough skin.
It's not both ways though...I am not calling your credentials into question, nor am I accusing you or anyone else of not knowing the rules. Whatever, we really can be done with this. I've moved on. More good lax tomorrow.
fine.
keeping you out of it, this is what i reacted to:
brecht beat his team
and their coach brain cramped.
Rutgers coach sucks.
Coaching lost this game in OT. Sorry Rutgers.
Not calling the time out lost the game
That decision will haunt Rutgers for years

everybody gets takes. i'll generally have one, too, if posters would like to be so blunt on a 50/50 strategic decision. even if the 1st instinct is to be snide (incorrectly) instead of calling them either ********s or just flat wrong in their proclamations, depending.

brecht and rutgers had a great season.
old salt

Post by old salt »

CU77 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:42 pm Terry Foy:
I asked Brecht whether he was trying to call a timeout in OT and if that led to his dispute with the official. He said he didn’t have an issue with the ref at that time, and described how he’s trusted his players in that spot all year.

Pretty clear wasn’t trying to call TO.
https://twitter.com/TerenceFoy/status/1 ... 4659689476
Was Kurst still in the box when Gray checked the ball from his stick ? Could Brecht have called a t.o. just before Gray dislodged the ball from Kurst ? Or was it too late by then because Kurst was out of the box when he picked up the g.b. & established possession for an instant before Gray checked it out if his stick.

I agree with the initial decision not to call the t.o. because Rutgers is best in transition & they had a UNC attackman (Gray) trapped on offense.
Who could predict that Gray (who apparently went over on purpose, continuing the ride) would make a Superman play by twice checking the ball to the turf. Had Rutgers been able to force Gray to play 6on6 team D, that would have been to their advantage.

Great game. Just imagine how different these playoffs would be without the impact of Covid extra year & other transfer players.
Added to already increasing 3 yr diploma/ grad transfers, will schools who can't poach star transfers ever compete for the top tier again ?
It's the FBS-ification of D1 Mlax, which makes ESPN, ACC & B1G happy. The rich get richer. In the BE, it will benefit Gt/DU, & Loy/Leh in the PL.

Great season by Rutgers & their Coach.
Last edited by old salt on Sat May 22, 2021 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:42 pm Just imagine how different these playoffs would be without the impact of Covid extra year & other transfer players.
Added to increasing 3 yr diploma/ grad transfers, will schools who can't poach star transfers ever compete for the top tier again ?
It's the FBS-ification of D1 Mlax, which makes ESPN, ACC & B1G happy. The rich get richer. In the BE, it will benefit Gt/DU, & Loy/Leh in the PL.
I'm very happy for the kids who would only be able to play if they transferred----the Ivy players, etc.

But the rest? Yes, I agree that this stuff might make our sport a mess if it continues post covid.
smoova

Post by smoova »

old salt wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:42 pm The rich get richer. In the BE, it will benefit Gt/DU, & Loy/Leh in the PL.
In the short-term, I agree. But, like early-recruiting, I think jumping head-first into the transfer pool will ultimately bear bitter fruit for some coaches.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

On the TO: I'd like to see TOs eliminated in OT. In regulation, each coach gets two TOs per half, that's one every 7.5 minutes (with the quarter break). Each OT period is only 4 minutes!
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

smoova wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:53 pm
old salt wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:42 pm The rich get richer. In the BE, it will benefit Gt/DU, & Loy/Leh in the PL.
In the short-term, I agree. But, like early-recruiting, I think jumping head-first into the transfer pool will ultimately bear bitter fruit for some coaches.
Winning the transfer market is likely to become the equivalent of winning free agency in professional sports - it may work sometimes, but there will be a lot of disappointments.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

CU77 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:30 am On the TO: I'd like to see TOs eliminated in OT. In regulation, each coach gets two TOs per half, that's one every 7.5 minutes (with the quarter break). Each OT period is only 4 minutes!
Totally agreed - I think Carc made that point on the broadcast too.
RURICK

Post by RURICK »

Interesting that my last post was apparently taken down by mods. So, i will give it another try. Rutgers had one of the best clearing games in the country. UNC has the best ride in the country. That is where the game was one, PERIOD. Brecht overcame their primary weakness at the faceoff position. Rutgers and the Big Ten were under valued all season and Rutgers performance in the tourney showed the strength of the BIG and Rutgers as a legit top ten team if not top five, in my opinion. I just find it hilarious that many/most of the posters/lacrosse experts here even questioned that rutgers belonged in the tourney. And now Brecht, the COY in the big Ten, is being blamed for the loss? Comical.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

RURICK wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:59 amInteresting that my last post was apparently taken down by mods.
Not true. We have no mods. Just an Admin and I don't think he's taken down a post since FanLax was started. Most certainly not a post as innocuous as yours.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
maddog9718

Post by maddog9718 »

Rutgers’ defense today was the best UNC has seen all year IMO.

Kirst is a final boss-level goalie.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

The criticism leveled at Brecht on here is ridiculous. He had his team incredibly prepared and playing their best lacrosse when it matters. Despite their unlikely chances at winning FOs vs both Lehigh and UNC, they compensated in other ways to gain possessions and gave that stellar offense/attack every chance to pull the upset. And the team defense (including Kirst in goal) that had UNC on the ropes and had Heel's offense looking rather pedestrian, was just amazing.

Although I've been critical of Rutgers this year, their performance yesterday was mighty impressive and had this fan of the game rooting for them take down the #1 seed.

Kudos Brian Brecht...superb job!
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Pet peeve of mine is OT losses, losses with close scores. For whatever reason, some people treat it as if the winner got 100 jelly beans while the loser got 99. i.e. It's a shame that one got more but and one got less and on their schedules it'll say W on one and L on the other but... They both basically got the same number of jelly beans. When, in reality, the reason why an OT loss hurts so much is because... It's a loss. We were so close and... We lost.
It's the nature of sports. Sports are binary. My point being that Rutgers lost. Often, very often, weak teams take substantially more talented teams to OT in HS and college lacrosse and... This is only really meaningful if the weaker team *wins*. The goal is to win, not win by bunches. UNC won. UVA won. The score says something but... Not always. Ws and Ls say much, much more.
Caddy Day
Lax1887

Post by Lax1887 »

Heartbreaking loss yesterday for Rutgers. Brecht and his staff do a good job finding underrated players and attracting one or two blue chip players each year but Rutgers is not a lacrosse factory like UNC. Finally playing outside the Big Ten bubble and handily defeating #8 seed Lehigh then taking #1 seed UNC into overtime in a game they could have won showed they belonged among the nation's best. This year's team, cobbled together through extenuating circumstances, was realistically their best chance to compete for a National Championship that we'll probably see for a generation. My hope is this year's success and the new lacrosse facility improves their ability to attract talent.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Winning attracts. Rutgers needs to capitalize on results this year and minimize the expected drop-off. Fortunate the two Kirsts transferred in..Can tap into the portal but they need to keep top NJ talent in state which hasn't been the case.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:09 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:04 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:41 pm
a fan wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:36 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:11 pm By that logic, the UNC D should have already been prepared anyway, because of the prior break for OT. UNC D was also pretty well rested from not having had to play any defense the previous few possessions.
So....you get it, then?

Taking a timeout vs. not taking a timeout is irrelevant to the outcome of the game. Full stop.
HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:11 pm PS that analogy about icing the kicker doesn't make any sense lol
It makes perfect sense. The lesson here: taking a timeout doesn't increase your chances of winning.

Let's say that Brecht calls the timeout, and UNC strips a Rutgers player after a restart and wins the game----and I come on here and claim that the timeout was stupid because I noticed the UNC D was gassed, and the timeout allowed them to rest. What's your rebuttal to that?

There isn't one. Why? Because my claim is stupid, that's why.

Timeouts aren't magic unicorns stuffed with fairy dust. Sports fans always think that they are, and that devoid of any evidence, think that taking one increases the offensive teams chance to score. If that ACTUALLY worked? Wouldn't the first team to gain possession in an OT, and calls a timeout, ALWAYS win?

You and the other QB's are speculating. Full stop.
i got nowhere a fan. good luck.
the "none of you know the rules" guy is still being dismissive? lol
i explained it already. guys were saying on the ride. and i didnt see in the box for a few seconds.

here's my guess, 16. you like to be a fan. you and doc b have never played anywhere seriously (maybe you in h.s.... doc never). and you have absolutely never coached the way you're carrying on. you sit in the stands.

and in your mind... you would've called a timeout, have the ref hear it/see it, in the one second that a transition opportunity was pulled out and an attackman was near a mid ready to pass the ball.

and you would've won the game with that genius.

gtfoh.
Yep
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:23 pm whatever dude. i generally speaking enjoy hearing your takes and analysis.

as you did here, you like to get a bit acerbic. get yourself surprised when it comes back at you.

don't be doc.
Yep
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

RURICK wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:59 am Interesting that my last post was apparently taken down by mods. So, i will give it another try. Rutgers had one of the best clearing games in the country. UNC has the best ride in the country. That is where the game was one, PERIOD. Brecht overcame their primary weakness at the faceoff position. Rutgers and the Big Ten were under valued all season and Rutgers performance in the tourney showed the strength of the BIG and Rutgers as a legit top ten team if not top five, in my opinion. I just find it hilarious that many/most of the posters/lacrosse experts here even questioned that rutgers belonged in the tourney. And now Brecht, the COY in the big Ten, is being blamed for the loss? Comical.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Matnum PI wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:11 am
RURICK wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:59 amInteresting that my last post was apparently taken down by mods.
Not true. We have no mods. Just an Admin and I don't think he's taken down a post since FanLax was started. Most certainly not a post as innocuous as yours.
You forgot that the world has been against him since he showed up making ludicrous statements.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”