UNC
60%
Rutgers
40%

Total votes: 45

DocBarrister

Re: UNC vs Rutgers

Post by DocBarrister »

You don’t keep a timeout in your pocket when North Carolina has been so relentless on the ride.

That decision will haunt Rutgers for years.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

and none of you guys know the rules. i won't call you names or label your posts.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Great game and heroic effort from goalie Kirst. Tough ending for Rutgers but you can't say they didn't have their chances.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Great ride, great game. The slides and overall defense were a pleasure to watch. The UNC slides in particular were so aggressive and perfectly timed. Seemed like the only goals were scored when a slide didn't come. Wish the game went 5 OT.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Gray does zippo offensively but makes biggest play of game defensively...go figure.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Oh yeah, Tucci too
Houndfan73

Post by Houndfan73 »

veryoldgoose wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:14 pm Not calling the time out lost the game. As soon as the middie was in duress, should have called a timeout. Coaching lost this game in OT. Sorry Rutgers.
True
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:16 pm and none of you guys know the rules. i won't call you names or label your posts.
What rule?

Rutgers player carried the ball into the box and Rutgers should have called a timeout.

What rule are you referring to?

DocBarrister :?:
@DocBarrister
bananas

Post by bananas »

Knights should have closed it out but got tired. UNC ride and some ref calls were factors. Great showing by Knight today and all year .

Thanks for a special season.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:16 pm and none of you guys know the rules. i won't call you names or label your posts.
Rutgers player was in the box for 4-5 full seconds with no one within 12 feet of him. Certainly could have called timeout there.

Several seconds after that photo, Gray came from above and dislodged the ball. Rutgers had lots of time to call one before that comfortably. But it wasn't in the game plan.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

flyerfan17 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:21 pm Great ride, great game. The slides and overall defense were a pleasure to watch. The UNC slides in particular were so aggressive and perfectly timed. Seemed like the only goals were scored when a slide didn't come. Wish the game went 5 OT.
North Carolina’s ride won this game for them.

Love teams, like Loyola, Virginia, and North Carolina that play aggressive rides. Always hated that Petro never emphasized the ride ... always too dependent on faceoff wins for possessions.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:30 pm
Rutgers player was in the box for 4-5 full seconds with no one within 12 feet of him. Certainly could have called timeout there.

Several seconds after that photo, Gray came from above and dislodged the ball. Rutgers had lots of time to call one before that comfortably. But it wasn't in the game plan.
You have the best attack in Rutgers history. Maybe the best attack you’ll ever have at Rutgers.

Why hold a timeout in your pocket just to keep one additional favorable matchup?

Talk things over with your veteran offense. Give them a chance to win the game.

Carc said it best ... you don’t get on the bus with a timeout in your pocket.

I hate that the game ended that way. Coach Brecht is going to be haunted by that timeout in his pocket for years. Not sure when Rutgers will again be just one goal from reaching the Final Four.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

Completely agree. Dumbest coaching move I have seen in a loooong time. They hadn’t held on to the ball on clears all game, yet he decides to roll the dice there? I feel bad for the guy, but it was his moment. Wow.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I'm a fan of the timeout there, but not necessarily because you have to set up a play, or to use it just because you have one. Rutgers had been having trouble clearing it and keeping possession AT ALL. You finally get the ball in the box with some room to spare, it's OT, you need to value that possession because you might not get it again (spoiler alert: they didn't)...that's the time to call TO and put that possession in the bank where it's safe.
Houndfan73

Post by Houndfan73 »

Apparently Brecht was calling timeout as #26 had the ball in the middle of the field. Refs didn’t give it to him or hear it etc
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

didn't recall.mids carrying it into the box. that said, posts were made on calling one "on the ride". multiple posts. leading to multiple unsettleds.

and the mid wasn't in any kind of duress. gray chased him down in a split second.

last, the asst at least (and maybe brecht) had something to say about having called timeout. you can see the asst trying as the pick up the gb (he's not officially allowed to). this ish happens quick not only on the field, it's even possible brecht tried to call with the ball in box and refs didn't see or hear.

wasn't an obvious -- we're in duress we need a to imo anyway as it happened so quick and literally one second before they were pushing transition.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

That's my point—a TO was never in the cards there. If they wanted one they could have told the ref before "hey, if we get it in the box, we want a TO." They waited till the player was under duress to call one and by then it was too late—ball was already on the turf. Should have went into that possession with the plan of calling a TO as soon as they made the box. Had so many chances to and they didn't—only explanation is they didn't want one. I don't buy that they wanted one earlier and the refs just didn't hear. 4-5 seconds is an eternity in "ref I want a timeout"-land. UNC didn't have any issues getting one the moment they got it in the box.
molo

Post by molo »

Valiant effort by Rutgers, just hard to keep the ACC out of championship weekend. The two ACC teams that are going are clearly among the best four teams in the country. Upsets are nice, but I like a ff like 2019 where the best four teams are left on championship weekend. Looks like we are en route to that scenario this year no matter who wins the first game tomorrow and assuming the ACC team wins the second.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:56 pm That's my point—a TO was never in the cards there. If they wanted one they could have told the ref before "hey, if we get it in the box, we want a TO." They waited till the player was under duress to call one and by then it was too late—ball was already on the turf. Should have went into that possession with the plan of calling a TO as soon as they made the box. Had so many chances to and they didn't—only explanation is they didn't want one. I don't buy that they wanted one earlier and the refs just didn't hear. 4-5 seconds is an eternity in "ref I want a timeout"-land. UNC didn't have any issues getting one the moment they got it in the box.
he was never under duress for 4 or 5 seconds. now you're saying call a timeout and kill a fast break possibly.

bottom line, this wasn't one that was ironclad. one way or the other. but the armchairs have it right, i'm sure.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:51 pm

didn't recall.mids carrying it into the box. that said, posts were made on calling one "on the ride". multiple posts. leading to multiple unsettleds.

and the mid wasn't in any kind of duress. gray chased him down in a split second.

last, the asst at least (and maybe brecht) had something to say about having called timeout. you can see the asst trying as the pick up the gb (he's not officially allowed to). this ish happens quick not only on the field, it's even possible brecht tried to call with the ball in box and refs didn't see or hear.

wasn't an obvious -- we're in duress we need a to imo anyway as it happened so quick and literally one second before they were pushing transition.
Ok, so you were mistaken.

That’s ok.

Gray was in the Rutgers attack zone on the ride. The way UNC was riding Rutgers, as soon as I saw a North Carolina player running behind one of my players, I call the timeout.

Credit North Carolina ... they play lacrosse the way God intended the game to be played.

As for Rutgers ... yes, this loss will be haunting, but what a great season.

Also, I think we can permanently bury any doubts folks have about the quality of the B1G. This Rutgers team may have been only the third best in the B1G tournament, and yet they took #1 North Carolina to OT. Well done, Scarlet Knights. Proud of your effort today.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”