2021 Coaching Carousel

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Bananas4Lax3

Re: 2021 Coaching Carousel

Post by Bananas4Lax3 »

Nosey Ned wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:14 pm
Bananas4Lax3 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:41 pm What top 10 program has Denison beaten over the last 5 years? Didnt they just get WAXED by an unranked Centre team who ended up getting WAXED by CC?
I guess you haven’t been paying attention these last several years ......

In 2016 they ended #6 in the country - had 5 top 20 wins and lost to #1 eventual National Champion Salisbury in OT in the Qs
In 2017 they ended #5 in the country- had 3 top 20 wins and lost to #1 eventual National Champion Salisbury by 1 in the Final Four
In 2018 they ended #10 in the country - had 4 top 20 wins and lost to OWU in the NCAA Tournament
In 2019 they ended #9 in the country - had 3 top 20 wins and lost to Salisbury in the Qs
In 2020 they were #7 and 4-0 with 2 top 20 wins when the season was ended by COVID.

That’s a pretty impressive resume for any program ...yet alone one from Ohio! The point was they are by far the most successful team in the MidWest these last many years and IWU had yet to match that success. And until they do, characterizing the 2 programs as equals, was nonsense IMHO.

You’re welcome to disagree. But you too will be wrong for doing so. Again my opinion.

PS losing to Centre by 1 isn’t getting waxed. Bad loss? Absolutely! But they did fight back from down 6 to cutting to 1 and their goalie made a great save to at the end to secure the win. Great win for Centre.
So 0 Top 10 wins...got it thanks.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Bananas4Lax3 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:41 pm
Nosey Ned wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:14 pm
Bananas4Lax3 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:41 pm What top 10 program has Denison beaten over the last 5 years? Didnt they just get WAXED by an unranked Centre team who ended up getting WAXED by CC?
I guess you haven’t been paying attention these last several years ......

In 2016 they ended #6 in the country - had 5 top 20 wins and lost to #1 eventual National Champion Salisbury in OT in the Qs
In 2017 they ended #5 in the country- had 3 top 20 wins and lost to #1 eventual National Champion Salisbury by 1 in the Final Four
In 2018 they ended #10 in the country - had 4 top 20 wins and lost to OWU in the NCAA Tournament
In 2019 they ended #9 in the country - had 3 top 20 wins and lost to Salisbury in the Qs
In 2020 they were #7 and 4-0 with 2 top 20 wins when the season was ended by COVID.

That’s a pretty impressive resume for any program ...yet alone one from Ohio! The point was they are by far the most successful team in the MidWest these last many years and IWU had yet to match that success. And until they do, characterizing the 2 programs as equals, was nonsense IMHO.

You’re welcome to disagree. But you too will be wrong for doing so. Again my opinion.

PS losing to Centre by 1 isn’t getting waxed. Bad loss? Absolutely! But they did fight back from down 6 to cutting to 1 and their goalie made a great save to at the end to secure the win. Great win for Centre.
So 0 Top 10 wins...got it thanks.
If you need specifics, I count 3 top 10 wins; also 2 wins each against #11s, #12s and #13s. But please feel free to double check me ..... you can obviously use the education if you think Denison isn’t a successful program.

And I’m still waiting for you to post IWUs accomplishments against Top 20s..... and AAs while your at it. I’ll be here ....
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

I don’t dispute Denison’s history. My point was that I don’t think Iannucci would want the job. The same way I don’t think Zimmerman would want the job. They’ve each had success where they are, at good solid D3 institutions. Why would either think that they could do more at Denison than they’re already doing where they are?

The admitted fact that Caravana has won a ton of games won’t make Zimmerman or Iannucci think, “Wow, I wish I could be at Denison instead, where the mere reputation of the place will help me win more, where I can be compared to Caravana at the drop of a heartbeat, and where I’ll then be criticized by every nosey alumnus who wants to live on past records.”
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
SouthernLaxGenius

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

I love the way that IWU continues to hi-jack this thread :lol:

Good thing OWU is overrated and WAC is whack :mrgreen:
smoova wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:59 pm
SouthernLaxGenius wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:58 pm
Laxrules10 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:21 am Bowdoin just opened up. Archbell is leaving.
https://athletics.bowdoin.edu/news/2021 ... rosse.aspx

Interesting release and what was said.

Maybe he didn't have a choice on returning :?:
Certainly looks that way. The timing is very strange: team hasn't played a game for ~14 months, ~9 months has passed since the "support" piece by Kendall Rogers and the first pre-reads for the 2022 class are due in ~40 days.

Ivy or NESCAC or assistant maybe?

NCAC or Centennial Head Coach?

Definitely intrigued which way they turn/go
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

Depending on what the real story is up at Bowdoin, BU assistant Max Silberlicht should be a guy they reach out to.

Prior to BU he did a five year sentence at Bowdoin, helping them to their best run of success in a long time.

https://goterriers.com/sports/mens-lacr ... licht/5630

Now if the rumors are true, and this coaching change is an administrative decision, I don’t think Max would apply. If we find it this was a mutual parting of ways or that Archbell is leaving for something better; I think Max would be a great hire.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

VTLaxGuy wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:39 pm Depending on what the real story is up at Bowdoin, BU assistant Max Silberlicht should be a guy they reach out to.

Prior to BU he did a five year sentence at Bowdoin, helping them to their best run of success in a long time.

Now if the rumors are true, and this coaching change is an administrative decision, I don’t think Max would apply. If we find it this was a mutual parting of ways or that Archbell is leaving for something better; I think Max would be a great hire.
BU just put an ad out for assistant coach...
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

WhiteCarrera wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:40 pm ...
The admitted fact that Caravana has won a ton of games won’t make Zimmerman or Iannucci think, “Wow, I wish I could be at Denison instead, where the mere reputation of the place will help me win more, where I can be compared to Caravana at the drop of a heartbeat, and where I’ll then be criticized by every nosey alumnus who wants to live on past records.”
Anyone who is worried about living in Caravana's shadow at Denison or Janczyk's at Gettysburg is the wrong candidate. These schools have long lacrosse traditions, but neither has won a national championship.
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

River Donkey wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:05 am
VTLaxGuy wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:39 pm Depending on what the real story is up at Bowdoin, BU assistant Max Silberlicht should be a guy they reach out to.

BU just put an ad out for assistant coach...
So much for a national search and letting the body cool if that is an indicator of anything. Snooping on the BU site, it looks like the lacrosse opening we posted several days before Archbell's announcement. That could range in meaning from someone is just moving on, Archbell named his successor, the AD is playing Game of Thrones, or anything in between... The suspense is terrible. I hope it will last.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

FannOLax wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:31 am
WhiteCarrera wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:40 pm ...
Anyone who is worried about living in Caravana's shadow at Denison or Janczyk's at Gettysburg is the wrong candidate.
+1

Anyone so insecure and afraid of ghosts is definitely not worthy to walk either sideline!

Caravana followed a legend and went on to become one himself. Go get the coach that wants to be next legend!
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Nosey Ned wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:54 pm
WhiteCarrera wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:04 pm If IWU's record against Denison isn't so great, it's because IWU was still growing to what they've become. I don't see an established Iannucci viewing Denison as a step up. Track records from the last 20 years do not define the next ten.

A good article that lends some perspective:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ntly/57953
Please......

IWU is the same today as they were 4 years ago ......
In 2017 IWU was 16-3 and met #5 Denison in the NCAA Tournament - they lost 25-11
In 2018 IWU was 16-3 and met #10 Denison in the NCAA Tournament- they lost 25-9
In 2019 IWU was 16-1 and met unranked Rhodes in the NCAA Tournament - they lost 22-9
the other loss in 2019 was to #1 ranked Salisbury 22-6.
In 2020 IWU was 4-1 and met #8 Ursinus and lost 20-8
In 2021 IWU is 15-1 and will meet #2 Salisbury- my prediction is they lose 25-8.

IWU is NOT Denison. Your bias against Denison (as a Wabash fan) must make you incapable of seeing reality. Denison is most definitely a HUGE UPGRADE FROM IWU. They need to WIN games against top 10 teams, end the season as a top 10 team - do something other than get WAXED by top 10 teams and then we can have a serious conversation about their growth compared to Denison’s historic success and current dominance of Mid West lacrosse.
Rinse and repeat.... just as I expected.

But I’ll take the high road and simply say again that IMHO Coach Iannucci isn’t a good fit for the open lacrosse head coach position at Denison.

Hopefully today’s result will bring some sanity back to this thread. Yeah ... a slight detour off that high road! I could not resist. The article referenced above reads like a comedy script now! Good luck bringing Minnesota and Wisconsin defense to the Maryland Eastern Shore in May. Haha
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

And I’ve never speculated on whether he’d be a good fit or not. I simply don’t think he’d even want it.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

... and FWIW, Denison appears to be 5-30 all time against Maryland schools (if I counted right), and in the last 20 seasons Denison and IWU have beaten Salisbury the same number of times - zero!
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

Karen and Ken,

We get it. Denison doesn’t want Iannucci and Iannucci doesn’t want Denison. Can we move on now?
poorgene

Post by poorgene »

Susquehanna U gave Salisbury more of a fight than IWU.

The only reason they advance was a really really bad bracket.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Yesterday was the largest halftime margin of Salisbury's entire season. More than Susquehanna, more than SUNY Poly, more than everyone. The least competitive team the Gulls faced all year. Laughable that IL thought it was worth writing an "Is Their Time Now?" article about them.
Downhill Dodger

Post by Downhill Dodger »

ah23 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:10 am Yesterday was the largest halftime margin of Salisbury's entire season. More than Susquehanna, more than SUNY Poly, more than everyone. The least competitive team the Gulls faced all year. Laughable that IL thought it was worth writing an "Is Their Time Now?" article about them.
IWU has a unique uptempo style. To be successful it needs 3 things 1) Dominant face off winning percentage 2) Pressure on bad ball handlers who create turnovers and start transition for IWU 3) Substitution mismatches coming out of the box in transition that give it temporary “man up” situations. Against teams that go to have average sticks or clearing packages this pressure results in a lot of turnovers and transition goals thus allowing IWU to go on a lot of runs. Against good , disciplined teams all this advantage goes out the window and their “make it take it” ability to make runs is taken away. The Achilles heal is defense as in it is designed to be limited a la Paul Westheads Loyola Marymount teams in hoops. When they meet a team that can shoot and take care of the ball, the results are magnified the other way due to a lack of possession management. Salisbury was the worse possible match up for IWU, that’s is why you saw a 25 goal margin. Salisbury dominated them in their usual advantages and then with their elite offense over ran their helter skelter defense with their superior offense, shooting, ball handling against an overmatched one on one d
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Downhill Dodger wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:47 am
ah23 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:10 am Yesterday was the largest halftime margin of Salisbury's entire season. More than Susquehanna, more than SUNY Poly, more than everyone. The least competitive team the Gulls faced all year. Laughable that IL thought it was worth writing an "Is Their Time Now?" article about them.
IWU has a unique uptempo style. To be successful it needs 3 things 1) Dominant face off winning percentage 2) Pressure on bad ball handlers who create turnovers and start transition for IWU 3) Substitution mismatches coming out of the box in transition that give it temporary “man up” situations. Against teams that go to have average sticks or clearing packages this pressure results in a lot of turnovers and transition goals thus allowing IWU to go on a lot of runs. Against good , disciplined teams all this advantage goes out the window and their “make it take it” ability to make runs is taken away. The Achilles heal is defense as in it is designed to be limited a la Paul Westheads Loyola Marymount teams in hoops. When they meet a team that can shoot and take care of the ball, the results are magnified the other way due to a lack of possession management. Salisbury was the worse possible match up for IWU, that’s is why you saw a 25 goal margin. Salisbury dominated them in their usual advantages and then with their elite offense over ran their helter skelter defense with their superior offense, shooting, ball handling against an overmatched one on one d
Yeah, all good points. Watched them a few times this year (Elmhurst, North Central) and thought they were pretty entertaining, but got the same sense that their success/ability to play the way they do is a complete mirage because of their competition. They have a long, long way to go before they are truly competitive.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Any word on the Gettysburg job? Candidates? Where they are in process?
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:15 pm Any word on the Gettysburg job? Candidates? Where they are in process?
They expect to have a coach n place by 1 July, as for the rest :?
SouthernLaxGenius

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:15 pm Any word on the Gettysburg job? Candidates? Where they are in process?
Was told the process is moving along and a number of quality candidates have applied, but people are being tight lipped/quiet about who has applied, regardless of speculation. :o

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”