2021 Tournament

D3 Mens Lacrosse
DeepPocket

Re: 2021 Tournament

Post by DeepPocket »

Great news from Rochester on the spectator policy adjustments.

Thinking especially of the Bruno family, who will have the opportunity to see their son Dylan’s RIT at 1p followed by their other son Noah’s York at 4p. What luck that they advanced into the same pod and can now be seen in person.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

LibertyL wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:59 am arguably the best announcer in D3...
I love that they have a student band out there, it's really unique. Out of curiosity, do you mean the live broadcaster or the on-field PA?
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Time for talking is almost over .... so here are my predictions on tomorrow’s games.

RIT 20
Col C 7

Tufts 16
York 10

Lynch 13
CNU 9

Sal 25
IWU 8
LibertyL

Post by LibertyL »

Nosey Ned wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:28 pm Time for talking is almost over .... so here are my predictions on tomorrow’s games.

RIT 20
Col C 7

Tufts 16
York 10

Lynch 13
CNU 9

Sal 25
IWU 8
RIT 26
CC 7

Tuft 18
York 13

Lynch 19
CNU 11

Salisbury 27
IWU 7
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Gullible wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:15 pm
JumboFan4 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:47 pm If they can find their rhythm at faceoff, then it’s going to be game over for any team they face, as evidenced by the goal output in spite of the additional possessions they’ve not had due to struggles at the dot.
Is that a fact??? Much to learn Grasshopper you have...
I know you're joking, but was curious and went back to look at the Tufts-SJF game. Some numbers:

Tufts scored 19 goals: 8 followed a Joe Theuer save, 6 followed an SJF turnover, and 5 followed a faceoff win leading to possession
SJF scored 15 goals: 1 followed a Ben Hammond save, 3 followed a Tufts turnover, and a whopping 11 immediately followed a faceoff win leading to possession

Here's what that chart looks like.
  • Red numbers = immediate goal answering an opponent's goal
  • Black boxes = back-to-back goals scored without the opponent touching the ball

In conclusion: shout out to Joe Post for giving Fisher a fighting chance on Sunday. Almost all of SJF's goals were either a) part of multi-goal runs where Tufts never saw the ball or b) immediately after a Tufts goal, preventing the Jumbos from going on quick runs. That is critical to beating Tufts; it forces them to either generate a turnover or make a save to get the ball on offense instead of just popping a faceoff and getting a free possession.

I don't really know if this is predictive/useful, just thought it was pretty interesting and showed how valuable Joe Post was last Sunday.
smoova

Post by smoova »

^ now THAT is some tremendous analysis/insight. Thank you!
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

+ 1
Excellent analysis, ah23.
Thank you.
LibertyL

Post by LibertyL »

ah23 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:43 am
I love that they have a student band out there, it's really unique. Out of curiosity, do you mean the live broadcaster or the on-field PA?
Both are great but the broadcast announcer is amazing and the camera work topnotch
SouthernLaxGenius

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

Today's games

(Predictions)

RIT 21
Colorado College 10

Salisbury 23
Illinois Wesleyan 11

Tufts 15
York 9

Lynchburg 14
Christopher Newport 8
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Early game predictions.

Salisbury vs. Illinois Wesleyan
Salisbury already played a legit QF game last weekend when they whooped the nation's #5 team. Let's just call this one a makeup Second Round game and move on.

Salisbury 27 - Illinois Wesleyan 8

RIT vs. Colorado College
Again, not worth analyzing. Ridiculous that this is a national quarterfinal.

RIT 24 - Colorado College 9

Long story short: feel free to take care of errands and get ready for the games at 4 PM. Both these teams will have big advantages on Sunday with more time to rest + not having to play their starters more than 30 minutes.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

LibertyL wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:16 pm Both are great but the broadcast announcer is amazing and the camera work topnotch
Haha to be honest I asked to clarify because the 2018 semifinal is burned in my brain forever, it was like listening to two dads announce their son's U-13 game. I assume they have changed since then because this year has been solid. It will never not surprise me how difficult it is for schools to find people to talk coherently about lacrosse! I'm excited for this weekend to be at RIT if only because we'll actually be able to see the game, they definitely bring it on that front. The Stockton broadcast was absolutely brutal last weekend with the shoelace-level camera, one of the worst I've ever watched.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Liberty League people: I've seen multiple teams cover Quinn Commandant with a shorty this year. Always surprised to see that given how productive he has been throughout his career. Is he just not a dodger at all? I wouldn't think that RIT's midfield commands a double pole given the games I've watched/the way their stats shake out.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

ah23 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:57 pm Early game predictions.

Salisbury already played a legit QF game last weekend when they whooped the nation's #5 team. Let's just call this one a makeup Second Round game and move on.

RIT vs. Colorado College

Long story short: feel free to take care of errands and get ready for the games at 4 PM. Both these teams will have big advantages on Sunday with more time to rest + not having to play their starters more than 30 minutes.
Not so fast my friend! I’m sure they will win but RIT sure not getting to rest any starters at this point!
SouthernLaxGenius

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

ah23 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:57 pm RIT vs. Colorado College

:lol:

50% isn't bad

Then again, there still is a whole half to be played

Colorado College cant give up that goal at the end of the 2nd quarter, especially with the time on the clock and coming out of a timeout RIT just called
ah23

Post by ah23 »

pcowlax wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:46 pm
ah23 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:57 pm Early game predictions.

RIT vs. Colorado College

Not so fast my friend! I’m sure they will win but RIT sure not getting to rest any starters at this point!
Time to fire up the grill, anyone know any good crow recipes? :D

I do think RIT is going to pull away and win comfortably (looking forward to being wrong again), but credit to CC for sticking around and refusing to let RIT pull away. Hare has given them a few soft ones but still, they're in the game because they earned it. That goal at the end of the half was just...oof. I was sitting here in my living room thinking "RIT should just throw it at the crease and try to score a hockey goal" and lo and behold...worked like a charm!

Just for fun, posting this from D-III earlier in the week:Image
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Colorado College continues to slide adjacent (and way, way late) on RIT midfield dodges and it continues to give RIT wide open looks. Late 1 + no 2 = easy goals. RIT is finally catching on after not really punishing it in the first half, CC needs to adjust. Needed to like a quarter and a half ago.
Last edited by ah23 on Sat May 22, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

RIT definitely has got this but has needed to play full out on a hot day, won’t have the rest advantage we may have thought going into tomorrow
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

LibertyL wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:16 pm
ah23 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:43 am
Both are great but the broadcast announcer is amazing and the camera work topnotch
Guy is doing a nice job on the call. Handling the dual tigers thing very well.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
YCOLaxFanSU

Post by YCOLaxFanSU »

RIT definitely has got this but has needed to play full out on a hot day, won’t have the rest advantage we may have thought going into tomorrow
That depends on how the York/Tufts game goes.

In the Salisbury/IWU game, the Gulls cleared the benches early in the 3rd.
LibertyL

Post by LibertyL »

He's always good and does his research on players. He has good notes and brings some color
to the games and has an interesting broadcast voices well.

As for the game the heat must have got to RIT and they looked like they were keeping
some gas in the tank for Sunday rather than going full throttle. They are better than
they played today- that's for sure IMO.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”