W&L 2019

D3 Mens Lacrosse
sipecoth

Re: W&L 2019

Post by sipecoth »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:01 pm Interested in hearing anyone’s take on W&L’s scrimmage with SVC today at 4:30
I'll also be interested to hear how SVU does. W&L has huge expectations this year at preseason #12 and folks hoping for a final 4 appearance. A young SVU team is looking to build on last year's success and take another step forward.

If anyone has comments after watching, it would be great to hear from them!
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Jack Taylor kept the Gennies in the game along with the team D. Not much to say about the play of everyone else.Its early but you have to find a way to win when you hold York to 7. I counted at least 5 turnovers that were simple exchanges, two of which were immediately followed by York goals...With the imposition of the shot clock you can’t afford to miss a simple exchange. The turnover without any real pressure at about 1:26 left in the fourth sealed it.Goal play, team D and ride were effective. The offense needs some help generating goals and a lot more attention or focus is necessary when just making the exchange. When the players see the tape they will see they let one get away. Next up CNU
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Totally agree on it having been a good chance to win. Hold a team to 7 goals and you have to expect to win, but it always takes a little longer for the offense to get rolling. Hopefully they figure it out quick with CNU on Wednesday. I did love how W&L rode on Saturday, made it very difficult for York to clear it and that also eats up time on the clock. I didn't love the lack of urgency in W&L's offense, though. Seems like they took 15-20 seconds each time to get into their sets. Need to get after it immediately, even if they are 5v5 or don't have the exact personnel they want on the field. Last comment on the shot clock. I really like it, and have been hoping to see it this year in some of the high school leagues. But after watching York's clock folks struggle immensely all game, I'm going to roll back my hopes for the shot clock in high school. Must be harder than it looks--seemed like the biggest issues were around synching/un-synching the shot and game clocks (i.e. game clock running, shot clock not running and resetting the shot clock without resetting the game clock). Not sour grapes, but there was one instance where this mismanagement effectively gave York a timeout, allowing them to sub all of their offensive players (their goalie had the ball across midfield when the refs blew the whistle to stop play and fix the clock).
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

ctbagataway wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:19 am after watching York's clock folks struggle immensely all game, I'm going to roll back my hopes for the shot clock in high school. Must be harder than it looks--seemed like the biggest issues were around synching/un-synching the shot and game clocks (i.e. game clock running, shot clock not running and resetting the shot clock without resetting the game clock). Not sour grapes, but there was one instance where this mismanagement effectively gave York a timeout, allowing them to sub all of their offensive players (their goalie had the ball across midfield when the refs blew the whistle to stop play and fix the clock).
The shot clock issue I saw was when York was on a man up I believe with under a minute left in the half. On that man up they had already registered and chased 3 shots and got the ball back. When they got the ball back under a minute, before the refs blew it live, the refs were confused as to whether the shot clock should turn off (according to the announcers). The York offense stood in their spots with one holding the ball. No huddle. No players swapped. This went on for what felt like over 2 minutes, and effectively iced the clicking man up, who gave up a turn over immediately thereafter. I must’ve missed what you saw. Any idea what time the one you saw happened? Because it seemed as though in the one I saw, the refs made sure no changes were made or timeout activities occurred. It was essentially a rest for the W&L man down in what was at the time a tie game about to go to the half.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Dehuntshigwa’es

richard wrote: ↑
York doubled on Witherell early and often. He needs to move the ball if that continues vs CNU. Somebody else needs to step up too.
Dehuntshigwa’es
Expect more of the same. Late last year with money on the line Lynchburg doubled him almost immediately, like a backer zone. Held him to 2 goals on 7 shots. Dickinson then did the same or shut him off resulting in 8 shots and 1 goal. Now for the third loss in a row York did the same resulting in 8 shots 1 goal. Three losses for the Generals where he generated 24 shots and
Not just 5 goals but 5 total points in 3 big games...it just can’t be 1 guy someone else needs to step up and bury some shots. Like to see him catch the ball coming off a pick full speed, someone else needs to create as well. If I’m the opposing coach I’m taking him out of the game and seeing if the Generals have someone else who can step up. Generals are 0-3 in their last 3 real games with 8,9 and 6 goals respectively. Cruz is gone and I believe the other fogo is injured so expect better performance at the dot. Maybe faceguard Dylan Rice???
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

DeepPocket wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:34 am
ctbagataway wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:19 am after watching York's clock folks struggle immensely all game, I'm going to roll back my hopes for the shot clock in high school. Must be harder than it looks--seemed like the biggest issues were around synching/un-synching the shot and game clocks (i.e. game clock running, shot clock not running and resetting the shot clock without resetting the game clock). Not sour grapes, but there was one instance where this mismanagement effectively gave York a timeout, allowing them to sub all of their offensive players (their goalie had the ball across midfield when the refs blew the whistle to stop play and fix the clock).
The shot clock issue I saw was when York was on a man up I believe with under a minute left in the half. On that man up they had already registered and chased 3 shots and got the ball back. When they got the ball back under a minute, before the refs blew it live, the refs were confused as to whether the shot clock should turn off (according to the announcers). The York offense stood in their spots with one holding the ball. No huddle. No players swapped. This went on for what felt like over 2 minutes, and effectively iced the clicking man up, who gave up a turn over immediately thereafter. I must’ve missed what you saw. Any idea what time the one you saw happened? Because it seemed as though in the one I saw, the refs made sure no changes were made or timeout activities occurred. It was essentially a rest for the W&L man down in what was at the time a tie game about to go to the half.
DeepP
It was one of the goals in the 3rd quarter, can't remember exactly which one. York scored at 10:39, 7:37 and 0:31, so I should be able to find it. York was pressed a bit against the W&L ride and the York goalie brought it up just over midfield to the stand side of the field. He was covered, had a teammate to his right on the sideline who was also covered. Then the refs blew the whistle for the clock. After what felt like an eternity sitting in the stands, they restarted. York started with the ball at midfield with a complete midfield change and a midfielder with the ball.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Ah I see. Yea that blows. All parties involved have got to sort this clock thing out, they have certainly had long enough.

Imagine one of these scenarios in the tournament. :!:
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:54 pm richard wrote: ↑
York doubled on Witherell early and often. He needs to move the ball if that continues vs CNU. Somebody else needs to step up too.
Dehuntshigwa’es
Expect more of the same. Late last year with money on the line Lynchburg doubled him almost immediately, like a backer zone. Held him to 2 goals on 7 shots. Dickinson then did the same or shut him off resulting in 8 shots and 1 goal. Now for the third loss in a row York did the same resulting in 8 shots 1 goal. Three losses for the Generals where he generated 24 shots and
Not just 5 goals but 5 total points in 3 big games...it just can’t be 1 guy someone else needs to step up and bury some shots. Like to see him catch the ball coming off a pick full speed, someone else needs to create as well. If I’m the opposing coach I’m taking him out of the game and seeing if the Generals have someone else who can step up. Generals are 0-3 in their last 3 real games with 8,9 and 6 goals respectively. Cruz is gone and I believe the other fogo is injured so expect better performance at the dot. Maybe faceguard Dylan Rice???
Dehunt, AJ had 2 goals on 9 shots against Dickinson. I was at the game, he played hard and had his chances. I believe he had 1, maybe 2 pipes. AJ was part of what gave us the 8-6 lead then we gave it away with 2 straight turnovers. Agree with richard on AJ, someone else needs to step up. Defense played great against York, hats of too Taylor in goal, he kept us in the game.

valaxfan
Dehuntshigwa’es

Your correct, but the total is right, 5 goals 0 assists over 3 games on 24 shots. At Dickinson too many times on a restart he did not take it on the end line. He’s either been faced guarded or doubled early the last few games and not getting enough touches. I don’t see the Generals setting picks and having AJ scrape off to get open, don’t see him coming off when the ball is in the Generals defensive end and come back in out of the box. Many times he’s gone to the crease, instead put him on the end line and run a 5 man circle. You can’t allow the opponent to take your best player out of the game. Last year Teat at Cornell was face guarded often and it proved successfull. Coach Shay at Yale during the Ivy Tournament refused to face guard Teat and he went off going 1 and 5, Yale lost 14-8.... The Generals don’t go without #31 so you need options when the opposition attempts to take him out. It would also help if other players step up offensively. CNU will undoubtedly attempt to defend in a similar manner
onceamink

Post by onceamink »

Not a fan of the shot clock... at least I will get practice picking out zones.

Watched second half of CNU game and was completely bored. shrug.
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

For all the W&L supporters out there. Your team needs to actually take a lead to win a close game. Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

oldtimelax wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:22 am For all the W&L supporters out there. Your team needs to actually take a lead to win a close game. Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
*grabs popcorn*
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Greenspon should be playing attack instead of running middie. He is definitely capable of taking some of the pressure off AJ.
Dehuntshigwa’es

They have more than enough depth at midfield. He’s a natural lefty I believe and played attack in high school. I would like to see him play attack it would be an upgrade for the unit as a whole. Generals might have been better served by shortening the bench against York and Denison, hard to get in any rhythm with such short runs
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Ben Mulholland needs to be on the field as much as possible. The kid just makes a difference out there. I think Coach M. is looking to the end of the year with running 3 lines. Kids get experience, helps everyone at the end. BUT, some games, close ones, maybe have them miss a few rotations. But, Number 13 needs to play as much as possible.

valaxfan
oldlaw

Post by oldlaw »

Is there any word on AJ's circumstances--is he healthy enough to play this weekend?
Navylax

Post by Navylax »

I have heard he was injured, what happen ?
Dehuntshigwa’es

Total speculation, how will W&L handle the season without #21 for 4-6 weeks ? If that’s the case that would bring him to the Roanoke game at the earliest. Whatever it is I think the coaches are creative enough and the team is talented enough to hold serve up to and including the Roanoke game.The D and goal play has been very good. Combine that with Hodgson and his wingmen, Londrey and Barnard dominating face offs gives the Generals a good chance of winning out to the Roanoke challenge. Nice to see Mize out there as the third option on attack, he might be their best option there....midfield play across the board has looked strong and will have to do the heavy lifting until the return of #21. Great opportunity for a number of players to step up their games, looking for Hamil, Mulholland, Greenspon and Weaver to lead
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

I like how the team is moving the ball, and their feet, on offense. Seems like the coaches are still working on finding their combinations at all positions except G and close D, I'm sure that will slow down a bit. Love how Huber has been playing at midfield. He has great speed and a sneaky shot. It is great for the team to be this deep.
Dehuntshigwa’es

ctbagataway wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:24 pm I like how the team is moving the ball, and their feet, on offense. Seems like the coaches are still working on finding their combinations at all positions except G and close D, I'm sure that will slow down a bit. Love how Huber has been playing at midfield. He has great speed and a sneaky shot. It is great for the team to be this deep.
Totally agree on Huber, smart, smart player who rarely makes unforced errors, great lax IQ. Hate the fact that 21 is out. Having said that it may provide an opportunity for other people to step up, develop their game and become a go to guy. That may help immeasurably hopefully when he’s back later this season.Like the Mize kid could be a positive addition if he continues to get time now

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”