VIRGINIA Lacrosse

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Mr3Putt

Re: VIRGINIA Lacrosse

Post by Mr3Putt »

Something I’ve been beating on. UVA vs Loyola & HP 31 goals given up on 80 shots. Just can’t keep up w these kind of numbers.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

PicLax wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:40 pm Another great win by High Point. Not so surprised by Nolting and Troutner. They are legit watchlist contenders.
Troutner played with Alex Woodall at St. Mary’s.
So I’d have to think coaches saw him play.
Imagine this team if Woodall had decided to stay.
Troutner and Woodall beat the Cavs as freshmen.
They also had Connor Robinson on that team, yet another player who “slipped through the cracks.”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:58 pm More proof that the playing field is much more leveled across the top 1/3 in D1. Coaching is key, and to be frank, Lars appears to have little control of the team...there is a line between letting them play and not giving them too much rope, currently someone keeps adding more rope to the spool. It's gonna be tough to pull this back in unless there is some devious orchestrated plan we know nothing about.

The only organization on defense appears to be some type of hedge/trap around GLE and even that appears to not have disciplined standards. #TheyNeedYouLars.
according to this site's 'it'll grow on you" ante ranking system, HIGH point was the 44th best after last year. Shirley, you meant more leveled across the top 2/3rds in D 1 :)
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
yyyyyyyyyy

Post by yyyyyyyyyy »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:58 pm More proof that the playing field is much more leveled across the top 1/3 in D1. Coaching is key, and to be frank, Lars appears to have little control of the team...there is a line between letting them play and not giving them too much rope, currently someone keeps adding more rope to the spool. It's gonna be tough to pull this back in unless there is some devious orchestrated plan we know nothing about.

The only organization on defense appears to be some type of hedge/trap around GLE and even that appears to not have disciplined standards. #TheyNeedYouLars.
Ever occur to you that the guy has no idea how to coach defense ? It's occurred to many of the opposing team coaches.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

yyyyyyyyyy wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:54 pm

Ever occur to you that the guy has no idea how to coach defense ? It's occurred to many of the opposing team coaches.
Pretty sure we've covered this multiple times. Prove to me that UVA has the mature AA level horses on D and then we'll start talking about coaching.

BTW, I'm a huge fan of Jon Torpey and his coaching capabilities.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

LaSalla's numbers looked good per the box score. Was Schwenk hurt/injured? Can't believe I missed this game. I thought the chaps turned the corner vs Lehigh. Are replays available on the ACC network?
Voyuer

Post by Voyuer »

UVA has some nice talent on O. The F/O guys played well. Besides that if Lehigh had Pettit and Spence UVA would be 0-3. Because Lehigh could have had a 10-4 lead early in that game if they had players playing who could finish. UVA is a bad defensive team right now and the SSDM issue may not be easy to fix. I liked them playing in tighter and looking to double when the O turned their back. They simply don’t have the horses to press out and pressure the ball. Funny how HPU with Nolting and GK and aggressive D and Poles in transition remind one of Lars’ Brown teams with Malloy Ect. I guess not funny to the UVA faithful. .
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wahoomurf wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:13 pm LaSalla's numbers looked good per the box score. Was Schwenk hurt/injured? Can't believe I missed this game. I thought the chaps turned the corner vs Lehigh. Are replays available on the ACC network?
Replay is up
“I wish you would!”
Charlie Don't Surf

Post by Charlie Don't Surf »

From my vantage point, UVA had many opportunities to score in the second half and Troutner got wicked hot. UVA still taking good shots, but we was gobbling them up. Kid definitely has to be considered a top-notch goalie and in the discussion for AA. Even Moore's move and shot at the end were great. Goalie was just a stone wall. Stopped Conrad cold, and HP D gave Kraus nothing. Actually thought Rode played quite well too. Both goalies had nice efforts. Nice to be able to watch lacrosse on a Monday. Thanks to both teams for a hard-fought, entertaining game!
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

I couldn't be more impressed with High Point. They're obviously well coached, smart, skilled, and strong; that's a rare combination from a constant underdog. Russell's 140 and has no fear about re-dodging, he's obviously been given the green light. Just talent everywhere for HP. Clearly Troutner is a gem.

It's seems like it's gotta start falling into place for the Cavs soon. Terrible luck for Aiken with the broken stick and some looks left unfinished or turned away. Rhodes had a solid game himself, but this surprisingly could've been a major feather and and emotional jolt of confidence for this team. So many so close for these guys. Ya gotta hope the chips fall in their favor soon.

Wonderful way to spend a Monday evening.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:51 pm I couldn't be more impressed with High Point. They're obviously well coached, smart, skilled, and strong; that's a rare combination from a constant underdog. Russell's 140 and has no fear about re-dodging, he's obviously been given the green light. Just talent everywhere for HP. Clearly Troutner is a gem.

It's seems like it's gotta start falling into place for the Cavs soon. Terrible luck for Aiken with the broken stick and some looks left unfinished or turned away. Rhodes had a solid game himself, but this surprisingly could've been a major feather and and emotional jolt of confidence for this team. So many so close for these guys. Ya gotta hope the chips fall in their favor
When is it going to start falling in place ? At Princeton, at Syracuse the next 2 weeks. Couldn’t stop Nolting , who is playing Sowers? SU beats Army the Orange confidence will be back.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:43 pm

according to this site's 'it'll grow on you" ante ranking system, HIGH point was the 44th best after last year. Shirley, you meant more leveled across the top 2/3rds in D 1 :)
I actually meant to type 2/3rds...and "Stop calling me Shirley"
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:00 pm

Pretty sure we've covered this multiple times. Prove to me that UVA has the mature AA level horses on D and then we'll start talking about coaching.

MDlaxfan that is an excuse to buy time and if Lars is waiting for "his guys" he should at least be teaching "his system" to not his guys which unfortunately appears to be very little of system, its like free for for all, except around GLE. At a minimum, do what Starsia did when the chips fell and some offensive prowess slipped away....work on and implement a zone that allows your AA level offense to pull away in goal diff. You have to believe the offensive AA level horses are on the roster, no?

I feel horrible for the UVA goalie, he is getting hung out to dry with hosts of shots inside the paint.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:29 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:00 pm

MDlaxfan that is an excuse to buy time and if Lars is waiting for "his guys" he should at least be teaching "his system" to not his guys which unfortunately appears to be very little of system, its like free for for all, except around GLE. At a minimum, do what Starsia did when the chips fell and some offensive prowess slipped away....work on and implement a zone that allows your AA level offense to pull away in goal diff. You have to believe the offensive AA level horses are on the roster, no?

I feel horrible for the UVA goalie, he is getting hung out to dry with hosts of shots inside the paint.
Do you feel the same way about Danowski? They made Duke's tender have a rough day, too.

I don't have a clue about whether UVA's defensive schemes are the issue or they've simply faced some offenses that are giving all opponents fits and they just don't have the horses to stop them. My sense last year was that they had only one top tier pole, and he graduated. I didn't see evidence of anyone being able to step up, much less a whole crew.

Listen, I was a pretty tough critic of Starsia and Petro, particularly of how the ER process made the likelihood of accurately evaluating D talent for college quite problematic. Add to that the nepotism in coaching and I think there was much less in the pipeline on the defensive end than for the O. I think both teams have been suffering defensively since then. It'll take some time to change that.

In the meantime, they need some saves.
There's nothing that gives a defense a spark, a sense of confidence, than a tender who makes the tough saves and is reliable on the easy ones.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

There is not a 2+ year track record at Duke and absolutely I hate to see keepers essentially get dunked on and layups dropped in, it makes their mind think about other things while sitting there, like get me out of here. If Lars implemented zone off and on each game, which he will likely never do (coaches often have ego issues with zone), there could be promise for his offensive guys to increase the goal diff. and build the keepers confidence with more outside shots and a defense protecting their house.

You and I, along with others, have had many discussions on the LP Recruiting Too Soon threads. We are in agreement.
~Livy

PicLax

Post by PicLax »

Defense taking a lot of heat for the loss to HPU. I don't think that was the primary problem. Yes, Nolting had 4 goals and a host of others contributed as well and the defense did make some mistakes. But the defense also had some good, timely slides and CTO to keep Nolting from doing further damage or the other attack from generating much (3 total points from the other two HPU attackmen).
UVA's problem, IMO, stemmed from offensive turnovers and lack of offensive production. Too many forced passes, missed connections, early turnovers. UVA lacked offensive control and smart possessions, giving HPU more offensive opportunities, which they took to their advantage. Individually, a couple of UVA players had statistically good games, but several of the horses (often mentioned as watchlist candidates) didn't produce, relatively speaking. Without disciplined team offensive play and ball control, and without production from highly touted offensive talent, UVA will continue to struggle. In yesterday's game, easy to see three or four possessions where UVA just turned it over on bad mistakes and/or offensive horses just not capitalizing, and the ball's going the other way. If, statistically, UVA had capitalized on two of those occasions, and at the same time prevented HPU from getting the ball and scoring on those two occasions, it's a four goal swing (and we're patting Rode and the defense on the back).
laxmaven

Post by laxmaven »

PicLax wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:24 am Defense taking a lot of heat for the loss to HPU. I don't think that was the primary problem. Yes, Nolting had 4 goals and a host of others contributed as well and the defense did make some mistakes. But the defense also had some good, timely slides and CTO to keep Nolting from doing further damage or the other attack from generating much (3 total points from the other two HPU attackmen).
UVA's problem, IMO, stemmed from offensive turnovers and lack of offensive production. Too many forced passes, missed connections, early turnovers. UVA lacked offensive control and smart possessions, giving HPU more offensive opportunities, which they took to their advantage. Individually, a couple of UVA players had statistically good games, but several of the horses (often mentioned as watchlist candidates) didn't produce, relatively speaking. Without disciplined team offensive play and ball control, and without production from highly touted offensive talent, UVA will continue to struggle. In yesterday's game, easy to see three or four possessions where UVA just turned it over on bad mistakes and/or offensive horses just not capitalizing, and the ball's going the other way. If, statistically, UVA had capitalized on two of those occasions, and at the same time prevented HPU from getting the ball and scoring on those two occasions, it's a four goal swing (and we're patting Rode and the defense on the back).
12.6 scored against goals per game is not a winning formula in Lax. the HPU game was lost on very poor defensive play with the goalie trying to clear downfield and the was taken out by an HPU player that should have been covered and then the ball went to another HPU player that should have been easily covered for an open net goal. there was no ride it was just failure to execute defense 101 a simple clear which is where the offensive play starts.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

As a loyola 2018 alum and fan who has seen UVA for the past 4 years, IMO, i believe that UVA will get better as the season progresses. Sure you might be 2-2 right now but this program has been shown to improve during the season

Offensively- what other combo of kraus, aitken, conrad, moore, laviano, as headliners would not make any opposing team/fan/coach worry? They will get soooo much better as time goes on and produce effectively.

Defensively- Yes, UVA defense might be lacking but its a relatively brand new unit with not many #1 alpha guys (yeah hooper graduated but a team like this always reloads). Rode will be better, there's a reason why he was the #1 goalie in his class.

You think UVA is playing not up to par. At least it's not as bad as hopkins (who ironically i'm also a fan of)
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:59 pm
wahoomurf wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:13 pm LaSalla's numbers looked good per the box score. Was Schwenk hurt/injured? Can't believe I missed this game. I thought the chaps turned the corner vs Lehigh. Are replays available on the ACC network?
Replay is up
Thank you.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Just as a point of discussion, does the shot clock game require a new and different defense? Or defensive approach? More depth at poles? More depth at d middie? More 2 way middies? More zone? Better individual skills or better team oriented defense?

The increased emphasis on face off is obvious but not a UVA issue right now.

These coaches did not grow up playing with a shot clock and nor have they coached very long with a clock requirement. I just wonder if certain approaches work better knowing the shot volume is greater than it ever has been in D1.

The answer might be average or poor defenses are just going to be exposed more often. No longer can you hide an average defense behind a 5 minute possession.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”