All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

old salt

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by old salt »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:49 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:08 am Guy too proud to say... “I should have used the word if”

“we need to determine, with greater certainty, how it developed & was released, rather than dismiss the question for political reasons.”

“If” is a powerful little word. He didn’t really need to insert “with greater certainty”. He decided to add that. Take that out and his point is the same. Throwing chum for his acolytes isn’t an accident.
We get it and a few others do to. I’m sure it goes great in the rural neighborhood get together a he has.
We need to know if what ? That's not specific.

When logic & reason fail, go to the personal attack. What a waste of bandwidth.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:05 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:32 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:56 pm
old salt wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:30 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:21 am
old salt wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:55 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:53 pm The only notion that I object to is the notion that any of us on here have denied that there is a "REAL possibility" that it could have been out of a lab. Of course it should be "considered".

But it shouldn't be assumed, nor be a political bludgeon.

What I do think should be "assumed" is that because there's at least such a possibility, safety protocols should be a priority. How do we better ensure that any labs involved are super safe?
The bigger issue is even doing gain-of-function research & why.
No matter the rationale, it still can be used as a bio-weapon.
The same result if there is an accidental release.
The benefit does not justify the risk or the potential for misuse.
It's just too much of a coincidence that the outbreak was in Wuhan.
Tell it Ft. Dietrich.
I don't agree re the research, but I'd note that neither of us is an expert in this field.
I attended a 1 month Army NBC Warfare Officer course at Ft McClennan. ...guess what the B stands for.

One of my jobs was to prepare our base for NBC defense, how to react to attacks, triage, treat & decontaninate.,
Well, I haven't even stayed in a Holiday Inn recently...but yeah, that doesn't make you an expert either.
I once worked at a Long John Silvers. I’m ready to open up a Michelin level Seafood joint now for sure.
I do know that Covid 19 is more deadly than any bio weapon we were trained about.

Wash your hands before preparing food for your customers.
Smallpox must not have been part of the training. Just so happened when I was reading “Demon In The Freezer” back when I used to go to the old folks gym, a guy stopped to talked to me about it. He was one of the architects of our national response to a smallpox outbreak. Wouldn’t take much weaponized smallpox virus to wipe out a good number of people.

https://journalofethics.ama-assn.org/ar ... sk/2003-02

https://journals.lww.com/oncology-times ... y_.29.aspx
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

old salt wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:07 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:49 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:08 am Guy too proud to say... “I should have used the word if”

“we need to determine, with greater certainty, how it developed & was released, rather than dismiss the question for political reasons.”

“If” is a powerful little word. He didn’t really need to insert “with greater certainty”. He decided to add that. Take that out and his point is the same. Throwing chum for his acolytes isn’t an accident.
We get it and a few others do to. I’m sure it goes great in the rural neighborhood get together a he has.
We need to know if what ? That's not specific.

When logic & reason fail, go to the personal attack. What a waste of bandwidth.
Yes your posting facts presumed not in evidence to make an argument and continue to argue is a waste of bandwidth. On this we agree.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:58 am Image
https://media.timesfreepress.com/img/ph ... 177270.jpg

Vaxxed folks are true heroes.
Already knew it before I got my shots.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:12 am
old salt wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:57 am Hey nit picking, wordsmith trolls :

we need to determine, with greater certainty, implies (to any rational reader) a lack of certainty.

The existing conventional wisdom "certainty" narrative is bat to other mammal to human, via the Wuhan wet market.

You guys will grasp at anything to deflect or distract from the obvious & ignore the coincidence of the outbreak in Wuhan, of all places.
No....greater certainty means that there is some level of certainty that has been determined. You want more of it. You received one of the finest educations on the planet.... You know better.
That’s the question I keep asking myself. Is this a ruse or real? Either answer isn’t a good one but that’s what is left.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:55 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:11 pm
Salty, if you didn't mean what you wrote, just say so. No one is arguing against the desirability of knowing the actual answer, if that's possible, it's just that coincidence is not equivalent to any level of certainty. And the "if that's possible" is very likely to disappoint.
Blah blah Trump blah blah.

I mean exactly what I said. We need to know with a greater degree of certainty the origin of the virus & how it jumped to humans.

All the verbal gymnastics & nit picking is just an attempt to blow smoke to deflect & divert from coming to grips with the question.

Who was patient zero & how & where did he/she contract it ?
Are you confident that it was not related to the lab in Wuhan ?
If so, don't you find it a remarkable coincidence that was the location of the outbreak ?
Instead of addressing that question, you attempt to discredit anyone who asks the obvious.

That's your takeaway when I treat your argument respectfully and thoughtfully, acknowledging its merits, and explaining my own perspective and logic?

ok, you deserve the eye roll now. :roll:

We'd all love to know with "greater certainty" (since there's zero certainty now) exactly what the transmission was, heck it'd be cool to know who patient one was. But that's virtually an impossibility, certainly an impossibility for all possible zoonotic spreads.

But ok, you've again revealed that you're in this weird Trumpist, right wing conspiracy world. Ok, got it.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Tue May 18, 2021 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:23 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:53 pm The only notion that I object to is the notion that any of us on here have denied that there is a "REAL possibility" that it could have been out of a lab. Of course it should be "considered".

What I do think should be "assumed" is that because there's at least such a possibility, safety protocols should be a priority. How do we better ensure that any labs involved are super safe?
Tell it Ft. Dietrich.
I don't agree re the research, but I'd note that neither of us is an expert in this field.
I attended a 1 month Army NBC Warfare Officer course at Ft McClennan. ...guess what the B stands for.

One of my jobs was to prepare our base for NBC defense, how to react to attacks, triage, treat & decontaninate.,
Well, I haven't even stayed in a Holiday Inn recently...but yeah, that doesn't make you an expert either.
I once worked at a Long John Silvers. I’m ready to open up a Michelin level Seafood joint now for sure.
I do know that Covid 19 is more deadly than any bio weapon we were trained about.

Smallpox must not have been part of the training. Just so happened when I was reading “Demon In The Freezer” back when I used to go to the old folks gym, a guy stopped to talked to me about it. He was one of the architects of our national response to a smallpox outbreak. Wouldn’t take much weaponized smallpox virus to wipe out a good number of people.

We’re they still training to avoid being gay back then?
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:23 pm

Tell it Ft. Dietrich.

Small pox is not a bio weapons threat (any longer) since there are effective vaccines that are widely used.

Don't accept blankets from strangers.
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:28 pm

we need to determine, with greater certainty, implies (to any rational reader) a lack of certainty.

The existing conventional wisdom "certainty" narrative is bat to other mammal to human, via the Wuhan wet market.

You guys will grasp at anything to deflect or distract from the obvious & ignore the coincidence of the outbreak in Wuhan, of all places.
No....greater certainty means that there is some level of certainty that has been determined. You want more of it. You received one of the finest educations on the planet.... You know better.
That’s the question I keep asking myself. Is this a ruse or real? Either answer isn’t a good one but that’s what is left.
58 million people live in Wuhan Province.... it’s like saying, I am surprised we saw an outbreak in NYC.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:34 pm https://www.cdc.gov/smallpox/bioterrori ... index.html

You missed that day of training.
Like I said, old guy at the gym mentioned he was part of the team that developed a response....
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:32 pm

58 million people live in Wuhan Province.... it’s like saying, I am surprised we saw an outbreak in NYC.
or DC or Baltimore...after all NIH and Ft. Detrick...obviously a lab release...
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:29 pm
old salt wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:55 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:11 pm
Salty, if you didn't mean what you wrote, just say so. No one is arguing against the desirability of knowing the actual answer, if that's possible, it's just that coincidence is not equivalent to any level of certainty. And the "if that's possible" is very likely to disappoint.
Blah blah Trump blah blah.

I mean exactly what I said. We need to know with a greater degree of certainty the origin of the virus & how it jumped to humans.

All the verbal gymnastics & nit picking is just an attempt to blow smoke to deflect & divert from coming to grips with the question.

Who was patient zero & how & where did he/she contract it ?
Are you confident that it was not related to the lab in Wuhan ?
If so, don't you find it a remarkable coincidence that was the location of the outbreak ?
Instead of addressing that question, you attempt to discredit anyone who asks the obvious.

That's your takeaway when I treat your argument respectfully and thoughtfully, acknowledging its merits, and explaining my own perspective and logic?

ok, you deserve the eye roll now. :roll:

We'd all love to know with "greater certainty" (since there's zero certainty now) exactly what the transmission was, heck it'd be cool to know who patient one was. But that's virtually an impossibility, certainly an impossibility for all possible zoonotic spreads.

But ok, you've again revealed that you're in this weird Trumpist, right wing conspiracy world. Ok, got it.
More blah blah Trump blah. If you agree that greater certainty is needed, why have you been hectoring me for saying that, other than as an excuse to launch into another Trump rant. Are you content with China's transparency on this ? Do you buy their claim that it was introduced by the US military team to the 2019 World Military Games in Wuhan ?
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:36 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:34 pm https://www.cdc.gov/smallpox/bioterrori ... index.html

Like I said, old guy at the gym mentioned he was part of the team that developed a response....
So now you geniuses are comparing smallpox to covid as a bio weapons threat. Don't forget anthrax.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

7x as large as NYC. Basically almost the Trump voting population which would include Timothy McVeigh if he could vote along with A vid Koresh-theyre both MAGA types. But sure nothing can happen within a cohort of 58mm.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

old salt wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:44 pm

So now you geniuses are comparing smallpox to covid as a bio weapons threat. Don't forget anthrax.
I knew about Anthrax as a little kid. Here’s you’re jam

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WkjZfWmTLUs
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:37 pm

or DC or Baltimore...after all NIH and Ft. Detrick...obviously a lab release...
You're the conspiracy theorist who first mentioned Ft Detrick. Did they give the virus to our Military World Games team to release it in Wuhan, as your Chinese friends suggested ?
old salt

Post by old salt »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:48 pm

From having unprotected sex with a calf.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

old salt wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:51 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:48 pm

From having unprotected sex with a calf.
At least you are making an effort now.

But you know I don’t mess around with any “scratch and dent calf”. I only goes for the Mallory Edens of Calf’s.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:45 pm

7x as large as NYC. Basically almost the Trump voting population which would include Timothy McVeigh if he could vote along with A vid Koresh-theyre both MAGA types. But sure nothing can happen within a cohort of 58mm.
The Chinese govt initially traced it to the wet market in Wuhan. At least that was their first story.

Return to “POLITICS”