2021 Tournament

D3 Mens Lacrosse
pcowlax

Re: 2021 Tournament

Post by pcowlax »

richard wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:02 pm Tufts. Max Waldbaum is more than a hand full. His buddies are too but Waldbaum is a runaway freight train. Fisher to their credit hung tough. Joe Post did his job and gave the offense enough possessions and they are a talented bunch. York will need the ball and take the air out of it to try to keep Tufts to under 15. If they do we got a game if not..... York is a well coached team and could get into Tufts players heads. The first quarter is key. This is a 50-50 game. Somebody else can make the call.
If they hold Tufts to 11 they do indeed have a shot but that is a tall order.
Laxisback

Post by Laxisback »

Anyone know what the spectator policy will be at the 2 sites?
richard

Post by richard »

pcow-under15. Still a tall order
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Laxisback wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:51 pm Anyone know what the spectator policy will be at the 2 sites?
Salisbury
(Spectators allowed)
https://www.suseagulls.com/sports/mlax/ ... 0517s6op7v

RIT
(This is the most recent I could find. It’s LL rules so who knows now that it’s the NCAA’s)
https://ritathletics.com/news/2021/4/2/ ... olicy.aspx
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
ergit

Post by ergit »

DeepPocket wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:17 pm
Laxisback wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:51 pm Anyone know what the spectator policy will be at the 2 sites?
Salisbury
(Spectators allowed)
https://www.suseagulls.com/sports/mlax/ ... 0517s6op7v

RIT
(This is the most recent I could find. It’s LL rules so who knows now that it’s the NCAA’s)
https://ritathletics.com/news/2021/4/2/ ... olicy.aspx
I believe there will be spectators allowed (perhaps limited, although with new guidances and campus emptying out, tough to say about allowed numbers).
ah23

Post by ah23 »

pcowlax wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:33 pm If they hold Tufts to 11 they do indeed have a shot but that is a tall order.
richard wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:12 pm pcow-under15. Still a tall order
Adding to this: over the past four seasons (2018-) vs. ranked/RV opponents, York is 14-2 vs. when holding opponents to single digits and 5-7 when allowing 10+ goals. The most goals they have allowed during that span is 13 (2019 vs. Salisbury). They really don’t like to get into shootouts, and when they do they often end up in trouble.
SouthernLaxGenius

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

pcowlax wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:33 pm
richard wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:02 pm Tufts. Max Waldbaum is more than a hand full. His buddies are too but Waldbaum is a runaway freight train. Fisher to their credit hung tough. Joe Post did his job and gave the offense enough possessions and they are a talented bunch. York will need the ball and take the air out of it to try to keep Tufts to under 15. If they do we got a game if not..... York is a well coached team and could get into Tufts players heads. The first quarter is key. This is a 50-50 game. Somebody else can make the call.
Tufts hasn't been held to 11 goals since 2019 (it happened twice; Amherst and Wesleyan) and I believe Wesleyan did it again in '18 as well as Conn College.

Deep Pocket, any chance York comes out in a zone in this one?

Facciponti (and his wing play) have to be great like they have for the past 3 games.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

SouthernLaxGenius wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:01 am
Tufts hasn't been held to 11 goals since 2019 (it happened twice; Amherst and Wesleyan) and I believe Wesleyan did it again in '18 as well as Conn College.

Facciponti (and his wing play) have to be great like they have for the past 3 games.
Yeah, I said 11 only because someone above predicted a 12-11 York win. If you hold Tufts to 11 you certainly deserve to win. In reality, York needs, at a minimum, 13-14 to win this game and very likely more than that
SouthernLaxGenius

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

pcowlax wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:41 am

Yeah, I said 11 only because someone above predicted a 12-11 York win. If you hold Tufts to 11 you certainly deserve to win. In reality, York needs, at a minimum, 13-14 to win this game and very likely more than that

York won't be intimidated as they have played Salisbury tough (see 2019) and they (and Cabrini) were the only teams to hold Salisbury to 13 goals or less that year. Each did it in both of their meetings.

It can be done. Will it though :?:
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Quarters are some of the best games, the strong usually survive( Denison What was that?) to get there. The tournament starts with the 1/4’s and if you survive what price did you pay to get thru. The Gulls( goalie TJ Ellis is 24-1 in 4 years w a 58% career save rate) will coast in their contest to face a battered Lynchburg or CNU, I’m betting Lynchburg but it won’t be easy physically regardless of the score in the CNU game. I’m hoping York can take Tufts who hasn’t had many real lax games this year to the wall. Even if York comes up short like to see Tufts have to go hard in the 4th. RIT should handle Colorado. I’m going w a Lynchburg/RIT final. Lynchburg has been my dark horse all year
Last edited by Dehuntshigwa’es on Tue May 18, 2021 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Tufts is clearly the team to beat in this one. On this site alone, their talents put them penciled in for a final against Salisbury seemingly before the NESCAC even gave permission to play.

Tufts hasn’t been held to 11 goals since 2019, but by my count they’ve only played 4 “ranked” teams in that frame- Amherst 20, Wesleyan 21, Williams 21, and STJF 21 (and IMHO this year’s incarnations of Weslyan and Williams’ rankings were generous).

They’re a talented, well coached bunch and will give York their toughest test to date.

Also, while I’m sure there is some validity to it, I am having a good chuckle on some of the “in depth” statistical analysis being cited. It almost sounds like what’s been “discovered” as the key to the game is to keep the opponents score low when on defense, and be effective at scoring on offense.

York had an entirely new attack trio last year (I vaguely remember some folks here thinking they were done when that happened). The ability to keep pace offensively with totally different players prior to that (in 19’ & 18’) seems sort of moot.

As for a zone,
I don’t see them changing something that they have been having success with, especially not when I matters most. If the game seems to be getting out of hand though, all bets are off.

York will have their hands full. And while I’ve been a voice that Tufts hasn’t had much testing, they did get a proverbial punch in the mouth towards the end of the StJF game, and kept their cool and responded.

I’m hoping for a great game and FWIW, win lose or draw, I’ve always thought York plays at a higher level as the hunter than as the hunted. So I fully expect to see that extra gear I often see in them when they’re face with a higher ranked opponent.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

RIT vs Colorado College is intriguing. The mountain tigers have 3 losses, two to high-caliber teams (Salisbury, Lynchburg), and one to Mesa (?). Can they push the lake tigers out in the quarterfinals? Williams knocked them out in 2019 in Rochester.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

BallHunt wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:29 am RIT vs Colorado College is intriguing. The mountain tigers have 3 losses, two to high-caliber teams (Salisbury, Lynchburg), and one to Mesa (?). Can they push the lake tigers out in the quarterfinals? Williams knocked them out in 2019 in Rochester.
No disrespect but no, they cannot push out the lake tigers or even give them a tight game. CC is a good team, RIT pretty handily beats good teams. It’s not going to be 19-4 but maybe 17-10?
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

pcowlax wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:46 am
BallHunt wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:29 am RIT vs Colorado College is intriguing. The mountain tigers have 3 losses, two to high-caliber teams (Salisbury, Lynchburg), and one to Mesa (?). Can they push the lake tigers out in the quarterfinals? Williams knocked them out in 2019 in Rochester.
No disrespect but no, they cannot push out the lake tigers or even give them a tight game. CC is a good team, RIT pretty handily beats good teams. It’s not going to be 19-4 but maybe 17-10?
You are likely right. It just seems maybe CC is primed for a big game. They are 1-2 vs these final 8 teams, where RIT has not faced any of them.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
ergit

Post by ergit »

BallHunt wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:37 pm
pcowlax wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:46 am
You are likely right. It just seems maybe CC is primed for a big game. They are 1-2 vs these final 8 teams, where RIT has not faced any of them.
Hey, you never know...
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

CC doesn’t have the athlete’s to win in the middle of the field. The Salisbury and LYN games exposed that. Great story they made it here but RIT will end it by 10+

Back to back games put heaviest toll on Attack and FO. O Middies also to a lessor extent. Not so much with poles and SSDMs, unless you only run 2.. LYN regularly plays back to backs specifically knowing its in play. They put similar conditions in practice. They have the depth. I don’t think CNU does. Playing the later 4:00 game = 3 hours less recovery time.. That can be a factor for LYN or CNU especially if it’s hot..

I don’t see Child’s going to zone.. Have to keep it from becoming a race off unsettled/ unforced. If York can slow the breaks, win majority of FO’s and be physical with their attack I think they can take it... If not I’m certainly hoping for 2015 rematch of LYN / Tufts (with a different result of course😜)
LibertyL

Post by LibertyL »

Tufts is going to score and score often vs. York

As much as I like York and root for the underdogs I don't
see it happening under any scenario with the Jumbos 22 goals
per game average
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

[/quote]

(and IMHO this year’s incarnations of Weslyan and Williams’ rankings were generous).

They’re a talented, well coached bunch and will give York their toughest test to date.

York will have their hands full. And while I’ve been a voice that Tufts hasn’t had much testing, they did get a proverbial punch in the mouth towards the end of the StJF game, and kept their cool and responded.

I’m hoping for a great game and FWIW, win lose or draw, I’ve always thought York plays at a higher level as the hunter than as the hunted. So I fully expect to see that extra gear I often see in them when they’re face with a higher ranked opponent.
[/quote]
York is always a scrappy and talented team. Minimize the Tufts transition play through good clearing and limiting turnovers between the boxes. York has a good goalie. Keep the game tight coming out of halftime, and make them work for every shot. If York can avoid getting in a hole early, they can definitely make this a game.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

DeepPocket wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:54 am Tufts hasn’t been held to 11 goals since 2019, but by my count they’ve only played 4 “ranked” teams in that frame- Amherst 20, Wesleyan 21, Williams 21, and STJF 21 (and IMHO this year’s incarnations of Weslyan and Williams’ rankings were generous).
It's five - Ithaca was ranked #20 when they played last year and finished the year there.

Definitely a small sample size, but it includes scoring 18 (#10 Williams), 19 (#8 SJF), and 25 (#7 Amherst) goals on three teams ranked in the season-ending top ten who otherwise allowed under 10 GAA (Amherst: 8.33 GAA; +16.67, Williams: 8.75 GAA; +9.25, SJF: 9.66 GAA; +9.34).
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

I know very little about RIT and I will say with confidence that CC stands very little chance.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”