Loyola Greyhounds 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
houndace1

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2021

Post by houndace1 »

Started thinking about this game while i was recovering from my 2nd covid vaccine shot but feel free to respond with any part.

Offensively-

Pios have more talent, put it as simple as that. Jackson Morril, Ethan Walker, Lucas Cotler, Jack Hannah. All legitimate goal scorers with defensive busting passing to get doorstep shots or step downs.

Whatever Van Arsdale has been fine tuning with the offense the last 3 games, keep doing it and this will have to be a very clean showing on this side of the ball.

Defensively-

I dont know much about the Pios D, but i feel very comfortable with Loyola's D. I won't expect a lockdown performance but i think they can limit the doorstep shots to let Sam try and save the stepdown looks. The only person i DO NOT want to see a stepdown from Denver is Ethan Walker. That man is rip city on the corners.

SSDMS/LSM's-

I give this side to Loyola. McNulty, Middleton, Cheuvront, Higgins, Razanka, Benus. Its a solid rope unit and Long stick's that can shut down transition D and play aggressive on ball

Goalie-
a Toss up here but i think Shaffer is playing the best ball over this 4 week stretch. Stopped the talented Navy, Army and Georgetown shooters and is seeing the ball a lot more clear.

Faceoffs-

Call me Crazy but, i would put Pacheco against Stathakis. Both of these guys barely lost a faceoff during the summer circuits at the events and i feel that they'd match up well. Pacheco was a denver commit for like 2 years before Stathakis committed and then pacheco came to here. There could be some added juice to that game. Put Bailey on TD when he comes out. I think thats the only way the faceoff battle wont be such a big disparity.

Overall,

I think this will be a very very close game. Another one of the one goal games in this former ECAC rivalry. If Loyola can score in transition like they did in the Navy/georgetown/Army games i think they have a good chance. If they lose, then they lose and then this season is one to remember.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Talking about last weekend and this upcoming Denver game.

IL just wrote a very touching article on the teams emotions the weekend during the Patriot League championship weekend, and then the emotions of the team after they found out they were given the at-large bid.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... haos/57896
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Denver is our only focus right now, but it's cool to hear Olmstead will be back next year!

https://twitter.com/18SportsAndy/status ... 66241?s=19
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Anyone know if the reversal came in time for the Hounds to travel with 52 rather than 45 on their chartered flight yesterday?

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... arty/57908
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Game Day!!!

I am feeling good, I like our defense vs Denver. Lets go Hounds!!!
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

laxbro11 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:13 am Game Day!!!

I am feeling good, I like our defense vs Denver. Lets go Hounds!!!
I'm with you! This is a winnable game.

Go Hounds!
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

WOW. No words can do that game justice.

Congrats to the Hounds. That was awesome.
cantrelax

Post by cantrelax »

Garygreyhound wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:28 pm Relatively new to the Greyhound family. I have two children who play D1 lacrosse and two completely different experiences playing out simultaneously. We are incredibly unimpressed with how this season has played out. For starters, there has been almost no communication between coaching staff and families. The team is fractured beyond belief and “pods” have turned into cliques. Leadership from team captains is questionable as I’m sure they aren’t strong enough to speak up and advocate for players. There was an earlier discussion about kids entering the transfer portal. We attended this weekends game against Navy and I’m here to tell you, there was a lot of conversation about kids transferring and for various reasons. Lack of leadership on the team and apparently all of the seniors who were feted will be returning next year which may or may not be a good idea. If I ran my business the way this team seems to be operating , I would be out of business. The definition of insanity is doing something over and over again and expecting a different result. Imagine being one of the kids on the sidelines or with a couple of runs watching the game unfold every week. They are essentially being told that these 15 players are the best Loyola has to offer, they are not trusted to make a difference and the team is incapable or afraid of change. There is absolutely no ingenuity. The only passion on display was from Navy. They deserved the win. I understand we are down two key players but you would think at this level, you have others more than able to step up. Personally, I think Vanarsdale needs some new tricks up his sleeve instead of his current strategy of slinging jello at a wall each week and hope something sticks.
You were saying.....
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

cantrelax wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:31 am
Garygreyhound wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:28 pm Relatively new to the Greyhound family. I have two children who play D1 lacrosse and two completely different experiences playing out simultaneously. We are incredibly unimpressed with how this season has played out. For starters, there has been almost no communication between coaching staff and families. The team is fractured beyond belief and “pods” have turned into cliques. Leadership from team captains is questionable as I’m sure they aren’t strong enough to speak up and advocate for players. There was an earlier discussion about kids entering the transfer portal. We attended this weekends game against Navy and I’m here to tell you, there was a lot of conversation about kids transferring and for various reasons. Lack of leadership on the team and apparently all of the seniors who were feted will be returning next year which may or may not be a good idea. If I ran my business the way this team seems to be operating , I would be out of business. The definition of insanity is doing something over and over again and expecting a different result. Imagine being one of the kids on the sidelines or with a couple of runs watching the game unfold every week. They are essentially being told that these 15 players are the best Loyola has to offer, they are not trusted to make a difference and the team is incapable or afraid of change. There is absolutely no ingenuity. The only passion on display was from Navy. They deserved the win. I understand we are down two key players but you would think at this level, you have others more than able to step up. Personally, I think Vanarsdale needs some new tricks up his sleeve instead of his current strategy of slinging jello at a wall each week and hope something sticks.
You were saying.....
Things have changed, you see.
cantrelax

Post by cantrelax »

I do see. What a difference a month makes, from everybody wants out, to elite eight in 29 days. From Charley and crew are old, stale, and out dated, to among the best in the game. Yup, a month makes a great big difference.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

cantrelax wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:58 am I do see. What a difference a month makes, from everybody wants out, to elite eight in 29 days. From Charley and crew are old, stale, and out dated, to among the best in the game. Yup, a month makes a great big difference.
What you fail to see cantrelax is that Loyola did make changes, if you look at the middie lines from a month ago to today, they are very different. I believe what Gary was saying is that change can be good. Introducing some others into the starting rotation seems have lit a fire. It has freed up Olmstead and Lindley. Look what happen to Schafer when Toomey benched him, he has been on fire since. The early part of the season, some of the players were complacent.

And it looks like Gary is a parent of a freshman player, they are not happy about the lack of opportunities. If you are a current freshman or an incoming freshman and you see that Olmstead and Lindley are coming back for another year... That is one year that you will not have an opportunity, and with a roster of maybe 65 plus, i can see parental frustration. If you are an athlete you are a competitor and you want to play.

It also looks like Loyola only traveled with 40ish? can any one confirm?

Moving forward... We did struggle at the face off dot last night, if Tierney played Ierlan the entire game, things could have been different, he is a game changer. D struggle at times, but the 1:00 and :30 man down at the end, showed what a solid unit they are. They will have their hands full next week. It will be closer than what Kramamerica thinks it will be... He can cut and paste his last weeks post
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

laxbro11 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:16 am It also looks like Loyola only traveled with 40ish? can any one confirm?
NCAA only allowed 42 on the sideline
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

youthathletics wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:43 am
laxbro11 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:16 am It also looks like Loyola only traveled with 40ish? can any one confirm?
NCAA only allowed 42 on the sideline
They actually reversed that decision on Thursday night and allowed 52. Not sure if Loyola had time to add 7 more on their flight Friday morning.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... arty/57908
cantrelax

Post by cantrelax »

laxbro11 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:16 am
cantrelax wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:58 am I do see. What a difference a month makes, from everybody wants out, to elite eight in 29 days. From Charley and crew are old, stale, and out dated, to among the best in the game. Yup, a month makes a great big difference.
What you fail to see cantrelax is that Loyola did make changes, if you look at the middie lines from a month ago to today, they are very different. I believe what Gary was saying is that change can be good. Introducing some others into the starting rotation seems have lit a fire. It has freed up Olmstead and Lindley. Look what happen to Schafer when Toomey benched him, he has been on fire since. The early part of the season, some of the players were complacent.

And it looks like Gary is a parent of a freshman player, they are not happy about the lack of opportunities. If you are a current freshman or an incoming freshman and you see that Olmstead and Lindley are coming back for another year... That is one year that you will not have an opportunity, and with a roster of maybe 65 plus, i can see parental frustration. If you are an athlete you are a competitor and you want to play.

Moving forward... We did struggle at the face off dot last night, if Tierney played Ierlan the entire game, things could have been different, he is a game changer. D struggle at times, but the 1:00 and :30 man down at the end, showed what a solid unit they are. They will have their hands full next week. It will be closer than what Kramamerica thinks it will be... He can cut and paste his last weeks post
Didn't fail to see, just never lost faith. I wish his son well if he is a member of the current team. Now that Kram has weighed in I'm feeling confident once again. Best time of year!
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Just one day at a time and one game at a time. Great win. TD carried that team on his back. If not for his play hounds would’ve beaten Denver soundly.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

cantrelax wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:32 am

Didn't fail to see, just never lost faith. I wish his son well if he is a member of the current team. Now that Kram has weighed in I'm feeling confident once again. Best time of year!
+!
I love reading Krams comments, makes my day
Garygreyhound

Post by Garygreyhound »

Although the changes seemed to have put a fire under the boys, I still struggle with some of the players being rotated into the middie lines. I do have a current son on the team and, as a parent, worry that the wrong decision has been made to attend Loyola. I’m not alone despite the teams great success! We have come to love the boys and I am afraid our son will settle because of friendships made. On another note, We have been fans of TD for years and I can say, if he had been at FO for the entire game, we would have different results. Onward and upward!
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Garygreyhound wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:45 pm Although the changes seemed to have put a fire under the boys, I still struggle with some of the players being rotated into the middie lines. I do have a current son on the team and, as a parent, worry that the wrong decision has been made to attend Loyola. I’m not alone despite the teams great success! We have come to love the boys and I am afraid our son will settle because of friendships made. On another note, We have been fans of TD for years and I can say, if he had been at FO for the entire game, we would have different results. Onward and upward!
Completely nothing to do with Loyola but good Lord man! Are you serious with this? You are the parent everyone dreads knowing.
Houndfan73

Post by Houndfan73 »

Garygreyhound wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:45 pm Although the changes seemed to have put a fire under the boys, I still struggle with some of the players being rotated into the middie lines. I do have a current son on the team and, as a parent, worry that the wrong decision has been made to attend Loyola. I’m not alone despite the teams great success! We have come to love the boys and I am afraid our son will settle because of friendships made. On another note, We have been fans of TD for years and I can say, if he had been at FO for the entire game, we would have different results. Onward and upward!
Yeah. This is getting old. I suppose there’s always disgruntled parents
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

laxbro11 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:35 pm
cantrelax wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:32 am

+!
I love reading Krams comments, makes my day
I hate to break it to the rest of the Loyola Faithful. This week's matchup against Duke doesn't look pretty.

At all.

The talent disparity between Duke and Loyola is off the charts. They are the ACC pit bull. Duke has the cream of the crop, pick of the litter blue chips who are firing on all cylinders. We are the mid-major Patriot League pups. All we have is a bunch of undersized, 2-star IL recruits who have had a horseshoe up their behinds for the past 4 weeks.

The Hounds got lucky and stole last week's game. And the 3 before that. But it ain't happening again. We havent played a team of Duke's caliber yet, all year.

Sam Shafer cashed in his horseshoe, plus all of his rabbit's feet...and his 4-leaf clovers Sunday night. Hats off to him, but the Hounds might as well start cleaning out the locker room. The tank is empty. And it showed throughout the game. Loyola was lucky Tierney kept TD on the bench the first half. There is no chance Loyola keeps up with or limits the cadre of Duke finishers. Dano's dudes are gonna have a field day against the Hounds porous defense.

If you can find a line on this game, do yourself a favor. Don't take Loyola. Even if they are giving 10 points. This one won't be close. Keith Richards has a much better chance of seeing 2064 than the Hounds have to advance.

It was a nice run, but it's all over, now.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”