Post by Typical Lax Dad »

nyjay wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:57 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:54 pm
nyjay wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:25 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:14 pm
nyjay wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:37 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:31 pm
nyjay wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:28 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:03 pm Isn't Cornell's Jonathan Donville in the portal from last year?
I still find it surprising that none of the Cornell guys transferred for this year. Teat certainly appears to be going pro, but what about the other guys? That was a good senior class.
When you say “this year” do you mean why many didn’t transfer for the 2021 season or why many have not hit the portal for next season?
I meant 2021, in particular the guys who, like Teat, would have been 5th year seniors in 2021 - Salvatore, Fletcher, Duggan. Assume these guys are just all done with their collegiate lacrosse careers at this point, even if they have another year of eligibility outside of the Ivy.
My view is that their coaches should have encouraged them to graduate and transfer at the end of last season instead of pinning their hopes on a 2021 season. Some of the Penn, Princeton and Yale players made that hard choice last year. A couple of the Penn guys stayed behind (Goldner at the very least).
Makes sense. But then I guess the guys who stayed are just finished with collegiate lacrosse, most likely.
I am not sure. I am not sure if Goldner is headed to work or another year of lacrosse. I put a lot of the blame at the feet of the coaches, regarding the 5th years....most blame the administration.
Not to beat a dead horse, but the Ivy administrations didn't cover themselves in glory on this decision. And what bothers me the most is that none of them will be held accountable. Would be good for college lacrosse if some of these guys resurfaced next year. A lot of really good players.
All I can say is that it wasn’t unexpected. I would have like to have seen the league have competition but not surprised that they didn’t. Anyway, looking forward to next year. League will be competitive.
“I wish you would!”
Unknown Participant

Re: Transfer Portal 2022

Post by Unknown Participant »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:03 pm Isn't Cornell's Jonathan Donville in the portal from last year?
I still find it surprising that none of the Cornell guys transferred for this year. Teat certainly appears to be going pro, but what about the other guys? That was a good senior class.
When you say “this year” do you mean why many didn’t transfer for the 2021 season or why many have not hit the portal for next season?
I meant 2021, in particular the guys who, like Teat, would have been 5th year seniors in 2021 - Salvatore, Fletcher, Duggan. Assume these guys are just all done with their collegiate lacrosse careers at this point, even if they have another year of eligibility outside of the Ivy.
My view is that their coaches should have encouraged them to graduate and transfer at the end of last season instead of pinning their hopes on a 2021 season. Some of the Penn, Princeton and Yale players made that hard choice last year. A couple of the Penn guys stayed behind (Goldner at the very least).
Makes sense. But then I guess the guys who stayed are just finished with collegiate lacrosse, most likely.
I am not sure. I am not sure if Goldner is headed to work or another year of lacrosse. I put a lot of the blame at the feet of the coaches, regarding the 5th years....most blame the administration.
Why do you blame the coaches?
Typical Lax Dad

Unknown Participant wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:05 pm
Why do you blame the coaches?
Could have encouraged the kids to graduate on schedule last year and play elsewhere this year. It was an option on the table. Not blaming the coaches for no games being played. Blaming the coaches for not encouraging kids to graduate and move on. It was selfish, in my opinion. A friend’s son had a 5th year years ago (not an Ivy School). He was captain of his team. Coaches told him they would love to have him back for a 5th year but encouraged him to look for a great grad school situation.....which he did. Selfless move by the staff. Kid was a captain and best player on his 5th year team. I feel bad for the kids that came back for a 5th year and did not play when they could have gone elsewhere. Maybe needed to be pushed out the door for their own good? Anyway its done. Hopefully the league won’t drop sports as has been predicted here.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

...but is it done ? Did not everyone on a 2020 roster get the option for a 5th year of eligibility ?
calourie

Post by calourie »

Seems the Ivies have had a number of approaches to the matter. Yale had a number of seniors a year ago who I assume were encouraged to graduate and enter the portal (Morrill, Cotler, Ward and eventually Ierlan) whereas many of the young men who would have been seniors this year as well as a number of underclassmen opted to drop out of this years spring semester in order to retain this year's eligibility on into the future (the rule being 4 years of eligibility concurrent with 4 years of matriculation.) Otherwise I don't think the Ivies are offering a fifth year of eligibility except for a graduate school exemption strictly for this year's seniors, only allowing the semester off for underclassmen to not lose a year. I may be wrong, but that is how I understand it. Again, come fall I will be looking at the Yale roster to see the status of all those returning. Yale may well be a singular case in that regard as I have no information from other Ivies regarding this matter.

As for the graduate school exemption I'm thinking you might be able to apply to a program in another Ivy and still be eligible but I doubt it means the Ivies will be allowing graduates from other leagues. .
calourie

Post by calourie »

old salt wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:35 pm ...but is it done ? Did not everyone on a 2020 roster get the option for a 5th year of eligibility ?
NCAA sanctions it, Ivies don't to the best of my understanding. See above.
Typical Lax Dad

calourie wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:42 pm Seems the Ivies have had a number of approaches to the matter. Yale had a number of seniors a year ago who I assume were encouraged to graduate and enter the portal (Morrill, Cotler, Ward and eventually Ierlan) whereas many of the young men who would have been seniors this year as well as a number of underclassmen opted to drop out of this years spring semester in order to retain this year's eligibility on into the future (the rule being 4 years of eligibility concurrent with 4 years of matriculation.) Otherwise I don't think the Ivies are offering a fifth year of eligibility except for a graduate school exemption strictly for this year's seniors, only allowing the semester off for underclassmen to not lose a year. I may be wrong, but that is how I understand it. Again, come fall I will be looking at the Yale roster to see the status of all those returning. Yale may well be a singular case in that regard as I have no information from other Ivies regarding this matter.

As for the graduate school exemption I'm thinking you might be able to apply to a program in another Ivy and still be eligible but I doubt it means the Ivies will be allowing graduates from other leagues. .
Virtually all of the upperclass lacrosse players at Princeton and Harvard took the year off. Many in order to come back when the school environment returned to something more normal. Princeton women lacrosse players also bailed on the year. Seemed logical to me, if manageable.
“I wish you would!”
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

calourie wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:55 pm
old salt wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:35 pm ...but is it done ? Did not everyone on a 2020 roster get the option for a 5th year of eligibility ?
Correct. Ivys allowing this years’ seniors to play next year as grad students if they can get in. I do not think they are allowing students from outside the conference to transfer in as grad students and play. I believe that technically the Ivy kids do get the 5th year of eligibility. The problem is that that only refers to athletics, not academic eligibility. If they had stayed enrolled, they would have graduated in 4 years with a year of eligibility left and could have tried the grad school route but you can’t just drag out your undergrad time at these schools by taking one or two classes a semester as you can elsewhere.
Typical Lax Dad

pcowlax wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:20 am
Correct. Ivys allowing this years’ seniors to play next year as grad students if they can get in. I do not think they are allowing students from outside the conference to transfer in as grad students and play. I believe that technically the Ivy kids do get the 5th year of eligibility. The problem is that that only refers to athletics, not academic eligibility. If they had stayed enrolled, they would have graduated in 4 years with a year of eligibility left and could have tried the grad school route but you can’t just drag out your undergrad time at these schools by taking one or two classes a semester as you can elsewhere.
It just dawned on me that the seniors that withdrew to preserve their Ivy eligibility will have an extra year to carry with them as a graduate transfer if they so desire. Depending on job market and what kind of internship experience the player had this past year, graduate school may be a good option.
“I wish you would!”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:42 am
It just dawned on me that the seniors that withdrew to preserve their Ivy eligibility will have an extra year to carry with them as a graduate transfer if they so desire. Depending on job market and what kind of internship experience the player had this past year, graduate school may be a good option.

They need to move on. Life is short.

"How soon hath Time, the subtle thief of youth,
Stol’n on his wing my three-and-twentieth year!
My hasting days fly on with full career,
But my late spring no bud or blossom shew’th …"

-- John Milton

"Much did I rage when young,
Being by the world oppressed,
But now with flattering tongue
It speeds the parting guest."

W.B. Yeats
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:06 am
calourie wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:42 pm Seems the Ivies have had a number of approaches to the matter. Yale had a number of seniors a year ago who I assume were encouraged to graduate and enter the portal (Morrill, Cotler, Ward and eventually Ierlan) whereas many of the young men who would have been seniors this year as well as a number of underclassmen opted to drop out of this years spring semester in order to retain this year's eligibility on into the future (the rule being 4 years of eligibility concurrent with 4 years of matriculation.) Otherwise I don't think the Ivies are offering a fifth year of eligibility except for a graduate school exemption strictly for this year's seniors, only allowing the semester off for underclassmen to not lose a year. I may be wrong, but that is how I understand it. Again, come fall I will be looking at the Yale roster to see the status of all those returning. Yale may well be a singular case in that regard as I have no information from other Ivies regarding this matter.

Virtually all of the upperclass lacrosse players at Princeton and Harvard took the year off. Many in order to come back when the school environment returned to something more normal. Princeton women lacrosse players also bailed on the year. Seemed logical to me, if manageable.
Is this a kid taking a year off for semester at sea or NOLS?
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Typical Lax Dad

PizzaSnake wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:50 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:42 am

They need to move on. Life is short.

"How soon hath Time, the subtle thief of youth,
Stol’n on his wing my three-and-twentieth year!
My hasting days fly on with full career,
But my late spring no bud or blossom shew’th …"

-- John Milton

"Much did I rage when young,
Being by the world oppressed,
But now with flattering tongue
It speeds the parting guest."

W.B. Yeats
I don’t disagree. Taking a year off to return to something more normal is reasonable. Extending it another year to play lacrosse, not so sure. If graduate school offers some career benefit, I can see it.... but I believe graduate school offers more after 3-4 years of working.
“I wish you would!”
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

This will be heating up later on,

Transfers @ 05-17-2021

Air Force - Sean Curcio (midfield)*** -> Drexel
Albany - Davis Diamond (attack) -> Lynn (D2)
Binghamton - Tom Galgano (defense)**
Canisius - Otto Bergmann (goalie)
Dartmouth - Peter Rizzotti (LSM), Danny Hincks (goalie)*
Denver - Drew Supinski (midfield) -> Cabrini (D3)
Drexel - Kyle DeCrispino (attack) -> Mount Saint Mary
Harvard - Austin Madronic (attack)*
Hofstra - Ben Stewart (midfield) -> Wagner
Hopkins - Owen Murphy
Marist - Jake Weinman (attack)**
Michigan - Kevin Mack (attack)**, Alex Bucknavage (midfield)**
Penn - Sean Lulley (attack)**
St. John’s - Dylan Willis (midfield)
UNC - Will Bowen (defense)** -> Georgetown, Caton Johnson (goalie)-> OSU, Luke Millican (goalie)**
Notre Dame - Matt Schmidt (goalie); Connor Morin (attack)**
Ohio State - Gerard Kane (attack) -> Hofstra, Drew Elder (FO) -> DII Tampa
Richmond - Jax Popovich (FO) -> Boston U
Towson - Casey Wasserman (midfield)->Utah
UMass - Luke Blanc (attack)
Villanova - Keegan Khan (attack)**
Virginia - Will Rock (LSM)**, Regan Quinn (midfield)**, Russell Maher (attack/midfield)
VMI - Jon Fant (attack)
Yale - Nick Caccamo (defense) -> Syracuse

Division 2/3
Amherst (D3) - Gib Versfeld (goalie) -> Hopkins
Salisbury (D3) - Brad Apgar (defense)
SUNY (D3) - Matt DeMeo (midfield) -> Stony Brook
Wesleyan (D3) - Ronan Jacoby** (attack) -> Rutgers

* in the portal for the future 2023
** grad transfer
*** transfer from Air Force Prep

BOLD most recent addition
—————————————

Also,
last complete prior season transfer listing,

viewtopic.php?p=186499#p186499
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Transfers @ 05-17-2021

Hopkins - Owen Murphy
UNC - Will Bowen (defense)** -> Georgetown, Caton Johnson (goalie)-> OSU, Luke Millican (goalie)**
Virginia - Will Rock (LSM)**, Regan Quinn (midfield)**, Russell Maher (attack/midfield)
VMI - Jon Fant (attack)

Division 2/3

** grad transfer

—————————————

Also,

I removed Denver - Drew Supinski (midfield) -> Cabrini (D3) since he left Denver in 2018 and played for Cabrini in 2021. He should not be on the 2022 Transfer Portal list for Denver.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Transfers @ 05-17-2021

Cornell - Jonathan Donville (midfield)**
Hopkins - Owen Murphy
VMI - Jon Fant (attack)

Division 2/3

** grad transfer

—————————————

Also,

Add Cornell Jonathan Donville as it was pointed that he was missing. Went into transfer portal in October ‘20
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I want to know where Khan is going. He might've been #2 after sowers in last year's fictitious graduate transfer rankings.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Khan is definitely up there,

I’m thinking B1G,
and the obvious, Rutgers, he’s from NJ.

I believe also IIRC, Penn State recruited Khan.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:06 pm Khan is definitely up there,

I’m thinking B1G,

PSU could be a good fit. Maybe get Khan to drag Campbell along for an extra year there as well.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Transfers @ 05-22-2021

Cornell - Jonathan Donville (midfield)**
Hopkins - Owen Murphy
North Carolina - Will Bowen (defense)** -> Georgetown, Caton Johnson (goalie)-> OSU, Luke Millican (goalie)**
Richmond - Jax Popovich (FO) -> Boston U, Jason Reynolds (defense)—>Norte Dame
VMI - Jon Fant (attack)

Division 2/3

** grad transfer

—————————————

Also,

Add Cornell Jonathan Donville as it was pointed that he was missing. Went into transfer portal in October ‘20
WildPride

Post by WildPride »

10stone5 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:06 pm Khan is definitely up there,

I’m thinking B1G,

I think it was Maryland that recruited him back then. Regardless, Maryland and Penn State have been regularly scheduled opponents of Villanova over the last several years, so both must know him well by now.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”