Post by Matnum PI »

York starting to run away...
and RIT up 4-2 on Cortland.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
ah23

Re: 2021 Tournament

Post by ah23 »

Can someone please tell the crew at Stockton that ant’s-eye view is not how to broadcast a lacrosse game? This is ridiculous. They have a press box view but are actively switching away from it most of the time.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Matnum PI wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:22 pm York starting to run away...
and RIT up 4-2 on Cortland.
RIT up 12-4... https://fanlax.com/2021/05/16/d3-men-ne ... terfinals/
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Laxisback

Post by Laxisback »

richard wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:03 pm I would like to have seen Endicott and CNU have at it. It was a missed opportunity for the Gulls from what I’m seeing today.
CNU offense couldn’t hit the net in first half, I think they we on net 12 out of 28 shots. Defense and Goalie kept them in game until offense came alive.

Offense started connecting in second half and defense stood tall only give up 2 goals the rest of the way.
SouthernLaxGenius

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

Sometimes you go out on a limb and that limb snaps in half and you come crashing down :o

Stupid me for believing Cortland would take a page out of Bryants book against Virginia and win face-offs, grind through their offense, limit turnovers and not try and force/run and gun with the Tigers.

My apologies :oops:

Good to see the SUNYAC has been passed by the NESCAC, Liberty and The Empire 8 top dogs. Skyline conference, you're on deck 8-)
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Down 4-7 in Q2, Tufts had Fisher right where they wanted them. No panic, kept grinding, got some calls, kept scoring. I'm sure they enjoyed their trip to Roch.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
richard

Post by richard »

Passing and catching will always be the name of the game. RIT is superb. They must have made at least 2000 passes and catches vs Cortland. Move your feet off ball and you get a pass in shooting position and that pass is most times to a spot where no adjustments are needed to get the shot off quickly. It’s a beautiful game to watch when it’s done right. Good job RIT.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Hi SLG/Richard; You may be the wrong fellows to ask but what's gone wrong at SUNY? Cortland has historically been a contender and Fiorentino has Geneseo knocking at the door. That man lives lax. Also I think NY resident-SUNY students get free tuition for agreeing to stay in state for a time. Their governor is a schnorrer so he may gouge them on fees and other incidental charges but still.... free tuition. Beville's not Tierney but he's an excellent D 3 coach.
SouthernLaxGenius

MrLax2U wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:43 pm Hi SLG/Richard; You may be the wrong fellows to ask but what's gone wrong at SUNY? Cortland has historically been a contender and Fiorentino has Geneseo knocking at the door. That man lives lax. Also I think NY resident-SUNY students get free tuition for agreeing to stay in state for a time. Their governor is a schnorrer so he may gouge them on fees and other incidental charges but still.... free tuition. Beville's not Tierney but he's an excellent D 3 coach.
Posted my response in the recent SUNYAC 2020 forum 8-)
richard

Post by richard »

MrLax2U wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:43 pm Hi SLG/Richard; You may be the wrong fellows to ask but what's gone wrong at SUNY? Cortland has historically been a contender and Fiorentino has Geneseo knocking at the door. That man lives lax. Also I think NY resident-SUNY students get free tuition for agreeing to stay in state for a time. Their governor is a schnorrer so he may gouge them on fees and other incidental charges but still.... free tuition. Beville's not Tierney but he's an excellent D 3 coach.
Recruiting isn't the same as it was 6 or 7 years ago. D2 teams in the south have made inroads throughout NY. Check out rosters at Tampa, Limestone etc. What kid wants to go to Cortland or Platty etc when you can get scholarships someplace where the sun actually shines starting in February. Cortlands recruiting is really limited to NY too. They are not playing the same game as as the Liberty teams that have an expanded recruiting area that includes New England,Pa, and pretty much the rest of the US. RIT works Canada really hard and has support to do that. Cortland still gets good players but the more the game grows the tougher it is for teams to hold on to those top slots.

As a side note look at the Salisbury roster. Over half of the team is from out of state. I doubt Beville has the support to recruit like that although I can't say for sure.
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

SouthernLaxGenius wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:58 pm Sometimes you go out on a limb and that limb snaps in half and you come crashing down :o

Stupid me for believing Cortland would take a page out of Bryants book against Virginia and win face-offs, grind through their offense, limit turnovers and not try and force/run and gun with the Tigers.

My apologies :oops:

Good to see the SUNYAC has been passed by the NESCAC, Liberty and The Empire 8 top dogs. Skyline conference, you're on deck 8-)
Yes, it would have been a good game plan to slow down the game. Not sure they got a chance to slow the game down as RIT jump out on them a bit score wise. Not sure I understand your statement - Skyline you’re on deck. Do you think the Skyline is better then the SUNYAC?
SouthernLaxGenius

HappyGilmore wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:23 pm Not sure I understand your statement - Skyline you’re on deck. Do you think the Skyline is better then the SUNYAC?
Tongue in cheek HG.

Cortland is running out of "top teams" teams in conferences in the Northeast (especially in New York State) that they can beat/run off the field. Those two conferences are not even close at this time. There is an argument that the SUNYAC is the 5th or 6th best conference in the Northeast (and that's with the dissolved of CAC) 8-)
joe2123

Post by joe2123 »

Predictions for this upcoming weekend?

RIT v Colorado College - Taking RIT in a runaway 21-9.

Tufts v York - I like Tufts here but York looked really good in the 4Q against a really good F&M team. I don’t think York can out score Tufts and run with them late in the 4th. Jumbos 19 - York 15

Illinois Wes. v Salisbury - Bury keeps rolling. Gulls 22 - Ill. Wesleyan 11

Lynchburg v CNU - best matchup of the weekend. This was split in the regular season. CNU winning in OT and then the following day Lynchburg runs past CNU. I think Lynchburg will be ready for the CNU zone, does CNU make adjustments for the third meeting, I think so. CNU has been playing some great ball down there stretch. My heart is telling me CNU, but my mind is telling me to take Lynchburg. I think Lynchburg handles the zone and pulls away. Burg 13 - CNU 9.
Dips_lax

Post by Dips_lax »

joe2123 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:14 pm Predictions for this upcoming weekend?

Tufts v York - I like Tufts here but York looked really good in the 4Q against a really good F&M team. I don’t think York can out score Tufts and run with them late in the 4th. Jumbos 19 - York 15

Lynchburg v CNU - best matchup of the weekend. This was split in the regular season. CNU winning in OT and then the following day Lynchburg runs past CNU. I think Lynchburg will be ready for the CNU zone, does CNU make adjustments for the third meeting, I think so. CNU has been playing some great ball down there stretch. My heart is telling me CNU, but my mind is telling me to take Lynchburg. I think Lynchburg handles the zone and pulls away. Burg 13 - CNU 9.
Agree on York - Weather delay seemed to stymie Dips momentum but York Defense is legit - athletic, active sticks, seemed to have the edge on 50/50s and the keeper stood on his head for some point blank saves. IMHO the keeper kept this tied going into the weather delay and F&M untimely TO were costly after resumption of play. Balanced scoring made keying on O'sullivan difficult. This is a very good team but hard to see how they can compete with the Tuft's firepower.
richard

Post by richard »

CNU vs Lynchburg. CNU fans seem happy with their game vs Stevie. I just didn't see it. Stevie defense was good but I thought CNU offense not only didn't take good care of the ball but they also missed several open men and too many times held the ball for too long and made the wrong passes. CNU was better in the second half but their inconsistency makes me believe that Lynchburg handles them pretty easily. Lunchbag18 Captans 11.
CTlaxer12

Post by CTlaxer12 »

Dips_lax wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:49 pm
joe2123 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:14 pm Predictions for this upcoming weekend?

Agree on York - Weather delay seemed to stymie Dips momentum but York Defense is legit - athletic, active sticks, seemed to have the edge on 50/50s and the keeper stood on his head for some point blank saves. IMHO the keeper kept this tied going into the weather delay and F&M untimely TO were costly after resumption of play. Balanced scoring made keying on O'sullivan difficult. This is a very good team but hard to see how they can compete with the Tuft's firepower.
Great observations Dips. I thought York- F&M was the best game of the weekend (and probably should have been a quarterfinal match-up, but how poorly the NCAA handled the seedings and brackets is a debate for a different thread entirely). Unfortunately, the weather delay impacted the game more than I imagined, in what was an otherwise back and forth for the first 45 mins for two evenly matched teams. Also agree that the York keeper was the difference in the game. In the first half, he made 3 point blank saves where I audibly said "wow."

I think York may surprise some and be more competitive with Tufts than anticipated, especially if they get he same goalie play they did on Sunday.
islander

Post by islander »

RIT 20 - CC 6
Tufts 15- York 9
Salisbury 20 - IWU 8
Lynchburg 15 - CNU 8

I think most games will be one-sided. I hope York proves me wrong.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

RIT and Gulls walk in. Will their lack of competitive games hurt them or will they have fresh legs?

York is peeking. Well coached and have played more, figured out more. Will that be difference?
I think they can score but can they slow down Tufts? Looking forward to this one.
York 12-Tufts 11..!

LYN did not play well at CNU in that OT loss. LYN should win 60% FO’s again and their Defense is healthy and peeking.
Salisbury Field is familiar to CNU this year having just given the Gills all they can handle 5/8. Looking for some adjustments from them. Maybe in middle of field pushing tempo Or more 2 man game that worked OK for Stevens but don’t see them keeping up
LYN 14 - CNU 9
richard

Post by richard »

Tufts. Max Waldbaum is more than a hand full. His buddies are too but Waldbaum is a runaway freight train. Fisher to their credit hung tough. Joe Post did his job and gave the offense enough possessions and they are a talented bunch. York will need the ball and take the air out of it to try to keep Tufts to under 15. If they do we got a game if not..... York is a well coached team and could get into Tufts players heads. The first quarter is key. This is a 50-50 game. Somebody else can make the call.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”