NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
BallHunt

Re: NESCAC 2020

Post by BallHunt »

Unknown Participant wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:30 am
BallHunt wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:17 am
ah23 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:48 pm Setting the line for the NESCAC championship game at Tufts -12.5, get your bets in folks.
Hearing the game is at Williams.
Yup

Sat. 8 at Williams % NESCAC Championship Game TBA
So, game plans for Saturday's championship game. Tufts, keep doing what you're doing. Williams, try to stop Tufts from what they do.

Faceoffs, Tufts at 48% overall with two main takers at the dot - Helfrich (54%), and Hesse (45%), and wrinkle option Amitay. Williams overall at 50% - Kitt (47%), Armstrong (55%) are the main takers. Thus all even on FO's but maybe somebody gets hot. This path for ball control could have been part of a Williams plan to control the game tempo, but does not look viable.

Tufts shoots 70 shots per game and scores 25. Williams shoots 44, scoring 14. Sometimes quantity becomes a quality.

Save percentages are the same, so wash there.

Understaffed Williams will have to preserve legs, getting O-Mids off and D-Mids on, but this will exacerbate a Tufts transition O.

Could be a runaway train late in the 3rd.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Even with only four at-large teams, I would bet anything that Tufts is in no matter what. You can't go from beating D-I teams and being the #1 team in the country to missing the tournament in one weekend unless you get blown out by 40 and everyone quits to join the baseball team. I do agree that Williams likely has to win the AQ; there are simply too many ranked teams that will need spots. Just look at this list of schools fighting for the AQ spot in their respective conferences:
  • C2C: Salisbury and CNU
  • Centennial: F&M, Gettysburg, and Ursinus
  • Liberty League: RIT, St. Lawrence, Ithaca, Union
  • MAC Commonwealth: Stevenson and York
  • ODAC: Lynchburg, Hampden-Sydney, W&L
Five AQ spots for fourteen teams in or around the weekly polls. That doesn't even include Ohio Wesleyan or the OAC runner-up, both of whom I assume have no shot. If Williams loses close or goes back and forth with Tufts, they might have an argument simply by virtue of sticking with a team who has murdered everyone they've played. If they get blown out like everyone else...not much of a chance. Bizarre to think that an "undefeated" or one-loss NESCAC team would be left out of the tourney, but...COVID is unprecedented. "#Growthegame" AQs already make multiple rounds of the tournament kind of pointless; that will be especially true this year.

As for the "no overnights" rule...if that remains a hard no-go for the NCAA tournament I half expect Tufts to just secede and go RVing.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

ah23 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:17 pm Even with only four at-large teams, I would bet anything that Tufts is in no matter what. You can't go from beating D-I teams and being the #1 team in the country to missing the tournament in one weekend unless you get blown out by 40 and everyone quits to join the baseball team. I do agree that Williams likely has to win the AQ; there are simply too many ranked teams that will need spots. Just look at this list of schools fighting for the AQ spot in their respective conferences:
  • C2C: Salisbury and CNU
  • Centennial: F&M, Gettysburg, and Ursinus
  • Liberty League: RIT, St. Lawrence, Ithaca, Union
  • MAC Commonwealth: Stevenson and York
  • ODAC: Lynchburg, Hampden-Sydney, W&L
Five AQ spots for fourteen teams in or around the weekly polls. That doesn't even include Ohio Wesleyan or the OAC runner-up, both of whom I assume have no shot. If Williams loses close or goes back and forth with Tufts, they might have an argument simply by virtue of sticking with a team who has murdered everyone they've played. If they get blown out like everyone else...not much of a chance. Bizarre to think that an "undefeated" or one-loss NESCAC team would be left out of the tourney, but...COVID is unprecedented. "#Growthegame" AQs already make multiple rounds of the tournament kind of pointless; that will be especially true this year.

As for the "no overnights" rule...if that remains a hard no-go for the NCAA tournament I half expect Tufts to just secede and go RVing.
This is a great look at who might be left after the conference tournaments conclude, and is a worthy set of teams to grab the remaining tournament slots. Williams, playing only 5 games total and losing the AQ likely does not have a shot. Agree on Tufts, they just can't be out.

Any leftover COVID rules that ensnare a team trying to play in their dream games will leave a sting and further sour relations with their schools.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

It’s always an argument as to whether at large selections should try to pick the “best” teams or the most deserving. I know many don’t want to hear this but in many years the 7th best team in the NESCAC is better than half of the AQ schools, if not more. I am totally ok though with the “build the game” idea and ok with those schools getting in as deserving for winning their conference as opposed to the 7th place CAC team who is likely “better”. However, this is because such an approach doesn’t violate what absolutely must be the number one rule of picking at-larges: Don’t leave anyone out who could actually win the tournament. That 7th place NESCAC team might drill half the AQs, but they aren’t winning the whole thing so it OK that they are out. I think this year Tufts and Salisbury are such heavy favorites it’s hard to say anyone else has a good chance of winning the whole thing but looking at the excellent analysis above, there are going to be several team whot least would be in the conversation for winning left out in lieu of 20 AQs who are going to be chewed up. A fitting coda to a miserable year.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

New England has zero host sites in the NCAA tourney, really weird. Assumed things would be wonky after Colby was chosen to host the D-III women’s regional instead of Tufts, but still pretty surprising.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Williams putting up a tremendous effort vs Tufts with their shorthand team, outstanding game, just awful that they likely won’t make tourney if they lose.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Though Middlebury ducked out on their season, it will be fun to watch transfer Michael McCormack (also son of the Williams coach) take the field for Vermont vs MD. He put up 32 goals and 43 points this year. Nice to see him on the big stage vs some of the best defenders in the country.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

McCormack has a cannon, it has been very cool watching a Midd guy light it up on a really good UVM team.

Random question (that I came here to ask in the first place): does anyone have any idea/info on what happened to Tufts' YouTube channel that used to post game highlights? I think it was called JumbosLaxTV or something. Seems like it has completely disappeared.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

ah23 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:11 pm McCormack has a cannon, it has been very cool watching a Midd guy light it up on a really good UVM team.

Random question (that I came here to ask in the first place): does anyone have any idea/info on what happened to Tufts' YouTube channel that used to post game highlights? I think it was called JumbosLaxTV or something. Seems like it has completely disappeared.
There was a copyright issue and I think Tufts (but maybe YouTube) pulled the plug on it.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Unknown Participant wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:44 pm There was a copyright issue and I think Tufts (but maybe YouTube) pulled the plug on it.
Figured it was something like this because of the music, that's disappointing. Hope the channel makes a return in some form, it was really well done.
georgeoar394

Post by georgeoar394 »

ah23 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:20 pm
Unknown Participant wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:44 pm There was a copyright issue and I think Tufts (but maybe YouTube) pulled the plug on it.
Figured it was something like this because of the music, that's disappointing. Hope the channel makes a return in some form, it was really well done.
YouTube has a three strike policy. Once that happens channel is deleted, vids lost and can’t create a new one. Chances are they got one strike or maybe even two and immediately hid all vids to allow time to generate a plan. New vids out this year just aren’t the same without jmblx crew😥
ah23

Post by ah23 »

georgeoar394 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:54 am YouTube has a three strike policy. Once that happens channel is deleted, vids lost and can’t create a new one. Chances are they got one strike or maybe even two and immediately hid all vids to allow time to generate a plan. New vids out this year just aren’t the same without jmblx crew😥
Are there even new videos being put out? I haven't looked particularly hard but I hadn't seen anything. The Tufts Athletics videos definitely don't count, those are just highlight packages (useful and appreciated for condensed viewing of games obviously, just a very different type of video).
ah23

Post by ah23 »

2021 All-NESCAC teams were announced. Far more seniors on the two teams than in years past, should be wide open next year. Pretty cool to see two freshmen as well - Williams D Brian Greenstein on the First Team and Trinity FO Dane Crowley on the Second Team.

Edit: Sam Cragin is the Williams D
Last edited by ah23 on Fri May 14, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

ah23 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:45 am 2021 All-NESCAC teams were announced. Far more seniors on the two teams than in years past, should be wide open next year. Pretty cool to see two freshmen as well - Williams D Brian Greenstein on the First Team and Trinity FO Dane Crowley on the Second Team.
Brian Greenstein is a senior, and Sam Cragin is the 1st team freshman (Darien, CT). Also, Williams freshman Pearse Glavin was the rookie of the year. Purple bulls look to have promise.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

BallHunt wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:59 am Brian Greenstein is a senior, and Sam Cragin is the 1st team freshman (Darien, CT). Also, Williams freshman Pearse Glavin was the rookie of the year. Purple bulls look to have promise.
Yeah I apparently can't read, took the name from the wrong row.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

ah23 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:49 pm
BallHunt wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:59 am Brian Greenstein is a senior, and Sam Cragin is the 1st team freshman (Darien, CT). Also, Williams freshman Pearse Glavin was the rookie of the year. Purple bulls look to have promise.
Yeah I apparently can't read, took the name from the wrong row.
No worries. Apparently, per one of my family members, I can hear but don't listen.

Per the list, Tufts reloads two for next season. Will they be as dominant next year?
georgeoar394

Post by georgeoar394 »

ah23 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:02 am
georgeoar394 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:54 am YouTube has a three strike policy. Once that happens channel is deleted, vids lost and can’t create a new one. Chances are they got one strike or maybe even two and immediately hid all vids to allow time to generate a plan. New vids out this year just aren’t the same without jmblx crew😥
Are there even new videos being put out? I haven't looked particularly hard but I hadn't seen anything. The Tufts Athletics videos definitely don't count, those are just highlight packages (useful and appreciated for condensed viewing of games obviously, just a very different type of video).
Yeah they’re focused on putting out short insta edits..pretty lame and is subpar, assuming because their wasn’t an actual season the jmblx crew didn’t want to set up a contract. Or they’ve gone on to better things. I know their a camera uses a 50k cine lens in which I can’t imagine what the program was spending on hiring them back each year. Probs way too much lol
FCIAC LAX

Post by FCIAC LAX »

So Tufts travels to Rochester for Round 1, drives 7 hours, plays a game, then drives 7 hours back all in one day??

NESCAC had a strict no overnight rule and split the conference into 2 to accommodate this.
I recall some other limitations for Mass.; I guess it doesn't matter anymore.

They could have had a decent season if they allowed each team to play each other at least once.

just saying.......
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

FCIAC LAX wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:12 pm So Tufts travels to Rochester for Round 1, drives 7 hours, plays a game, then drives 7 hours back all in one day??

NESCAC had a strict no overnight rule and split the conference into 2 to accommodate this.
I recall some other limitations for Mass.; I guess it doesn't matter anymore.

They could have had a decent season if they allowed each team to play each other at least once.

just saying.......
No, Tufts left Thur. and stayed at the local Best Western and are coming back now. Nescac season is over so everything under NCAA guidance/rules/idiocy I guess.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Laxrules10 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:21 am Bowdoin just opened up. Archbell is leaving.
^From the coaching carousel forum.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”