Denver-Loyola Maryland

D1 Mens Lacrosse
NovaHound

Re: Denver-Loyola Maryland

Post by NovaHound »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:13 pm As a die-hard Loyola fan, I think its easy to say Loyola is the hottest team right now based on their record.

But if you watch the games- They caught a GT team who was napping, and didn't want to be there. And if there was 60 seconds more in the Army game, Loyola could have lost that too. Lehigh embarrassed Loyola earlier in the season, and if they weren't fortunate to get a false positive, probably would have been beaten the Hounds again.
Not much has changed from the Loyola team that stunk it up to start the season: They still cant draw a slide on offense, Their defense is overrated, their faceoffs are mediocre, and their goalie has a sore arm from turning and raking so much.
I love my hounds, but Loyola is just plain lucky to be in the tourney.
I think Denver wins relatively easily. At least by 5-6.

I think you’re right.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

44WeWantMore wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:07 pm How big of an advantage is the altitude?
Personally, I think that altitude and travel are big advantages. Denver is undefeated playing in Denver this year. Also, with the fourth quarter being such a decisive stanza in the Shot Clock era, the altitude should help the home team who will be most used to it.

It's really unfortunate. I would've loved to see Loyola play for the Patriot League Championship, or play Denver without such a home field advantage. The Hounds are hot, and have been playing really good lacrosse.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

faircornell wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:42 am
44WeWantMore wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:07 pm How big of an advantage is the altitude?
Personally, I think that altitude and travel are big advantages. Denver is undefeated playing in Denver this year. Also, with the fourth quarter being such a decisive stanza in the Shot Clock era, the altitude should help the home team who will be most used to it.

It's really unfortunate. I would've loved to see Loyola play for the Patriot League Championship, or play Denver without such a home field advantage. The Hounds are hot, and have been playing really good lacrosse.
It may very well be why Denver continues to have such long O-possessions; use the altitude to your advantage.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
lorin

Post by lorin »

faircornell wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:42 am

Army also would have like to see them play for a Patriot league Championship,
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

DU-fan wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:31 pm https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... game/57886

Terry Foy (@TerenceFoy)
No. 7 Denver vs. Loyola, 7:30 p.m. Sunday — I think Army-Navy and Hopkins-Maryland are neck-and-neck for the best rivalry in college lacrosse. I think ‘Cuse-UVA is the most exciting series and Duke-Notre Dame is the most meaningful series of the last 10 years. I think Denver-Loyola is the near-rivalry that the sport has missed out on since 2013.

The Pioneers and Greyhounds played six times as members of the ECAC between 2010 and 2013, including three times in 2012. Loyola won all three of those meetings in their national championship season; Denver won the other three. Bill Tierney and Charley Toomey have a lot of respect for one another (as evidenced most recently by two Loyola grads joining the Pios’ squad for their additional year of eligibility). Both teams play different, but attractive styles. I simply wager that if they’d played the last eight years, they’d have produced some instant classics. Add that it’s the eighth matchup of the weekend, played at twilight at Peter Barton, between a team with new life vs. a team that lost its conference championship — it’s got all the makings.
Saying the Army - Navy lacrosse rivalry is comparable to Hopkins -Twerps is ludicrous and brands you as a neophyte...l
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

DU-fan wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:26 pm Glad we have Mike Monaco and Matt Ward providing the call.
I take it you'd rather hear about the actual game as opposed to haircuts and Italian food?
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

GreyingHound wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:06 pm
DU-fan wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:26 pm Glad we have Mike Monaco and Matt Ward providing the call.
I take it you'd rather hear about the actual game as opposed to haircuts and Italian food?
+1 a thousand times, and more Sheehan and Jay as well.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

I’m rooting for Charlie, but possessions will be an Issue.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:16 pm
Lovely Sheehan is one of the best color commentators in lacrosse. Plus, she is lacrosse royalty.

I’m rooting for Loyola in this one. I have always like how Loyola plays lacrosse, especially on defense.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:01 pm
Lovely Sheehan is one of the best color commentators in lacrosse. Plus, she is lacrosse royalty.

I’m rooting for Loyola in this one. I have always like how Loyola plays lacrosse, especially on defense.

DocBarrister 8-)
Sheehan is very good. Not a big girls doing men stuff, but she has been v good. And I like Beth Mowins who is a hoot .
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

None!
https://collegian.com/2017/04/confronti ... advantage/
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
10stone5

Re: Denver-Loyola

Post by 10stone5 »

They’re just playing too well these days,

watch out !!
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Either the camera tripod filming this game needs WD40 or the cameraman had 17 cups of coffee before the game. Holy jittery.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Whoa ... Loyola up 8-4 on Denver at Denver. :shock: :o

Both teams have been sloppy at times, but Loyola is playing their usual aggressive style.

DocBarrister :shock:
@DocBarrister
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Denver doing Denver things
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:25 pm Whoa ... Loyola up 8-4 on Denver at Denver. :shock: :o

Both teams have been sloppy at times, but Loyola is playing their usual aggressive style.

quite the flip in 24 hours on a patriot league team that would get whupped by anyone out of the b1g. one off games are amazing for takes!!!!

guess loyola's lucky denver isn't in the b1g.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:37 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:25 pm Whoa ... Loyola up 8-4 on Denver at Denver. :shock: :o

quite the flip in 24 hours on a patriot league team that would get whupped by anyone out of the b1g. one off games are amazing for takes!!!!

I root for Loyola ... always liked the way they play, as I said earlier.

But since you raised the issue ... Rutgers and Maryland would beat both of these teams. Any arguments with that?

DocBarrister :roll:
@DocBarrister
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Mr3Putt wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:04 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:01 pm

DocBarrister 8-)
Sheehan is very good. Not a big girls doing men stuff, but she has been v good. And I like Beth Mowins who is a hoot .
Don't really like her or think she does a particularly good job. I prefer color guys that played/coached the actual game/sport being played.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:43 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:37 pm

I root for Loyola ... always liked the way they play, as I said earlier.

But since you raised the issue ... Rutgers and Maryland would beat both of these teams. Any arguments with that?

DocBarrister :roll:
Yes. Loyola beat Rutgers two years in a row so they could definitely do so again.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:33 pm Denver doing Denver things
Correction....Now, Denver not doing Denver things...attacking early.
~Livy

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”