VA Public School Lacrosse

HS Boys Lacrosse

Re: VA Public School Lacrosse

Post by 123 »

yikes! Are people in Loudon happy that 1 team is so dominant? I know there are rules that allow kids to switch districts, but this seems to have created something that is not remotely competitive.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

123 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:22 pm yikes! Are people in Loudon happy that 1 team is so dominant? I know there are rules that allow kids to switch districts, but this seems to have created something that is not remotely competitive.
I think the first few years this was an issue but the current Riverside team lives within the school district. I also agree that Freedom may be the next best program in Loudoun.
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:47 am
123 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:22 pm yikes! Are people in Loudon happy that 1 team is so dominant? I know there are rules that allow kids to switch districts, but this seems to have created something that is not remotely competitive.
I think the first few years this was an issue but the current Riverside team lives within the school district. I also agree that Freedom may be the next best program in Loudoun.
I'll assume you're correct about Riverside and Loudon. I know in Fairfax that people who can't go the private school route for lacrosse will move into Robinson's area, so something like that might be going on.

Would PVI ever snag a Riverside player or two?

I'll also note that public schools can obviously ebb and flow very quickly with talent levels.
laxbro1

Post by laxbro1 »

Riverside is very good but your forgetting about Dominion and Loudoun County HS as well, they are both very good. I think Tuesday night will be a tell all about who will advance in 4A. I think if you were to rank Loudoun top to bottom all divisions it would look like this right now. Based on scores and teams personnel.

Riverside
County
Dominion
Freedom
Champe
Broad Run
Valley
Potomac falls
Briarwoods
Stonebridge
Heritage
Independence
Woodgrove

Tied for last
Rock Ridge
Parkview
Lightridge

County and Dominion are the only teams who could give Riverside a run this year. The N. Callis fogo at riverside is legit, and they have club players all over the field, the only other teams like this in loco right now are the Titans and Captains. Wish they could cross pollinate like other years between 4-a and 5-a
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

laxbro1 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:06 am Riverside is very good but your forgetting about Dominion and Loudoun County HS as well, they are both very good. I think Tuesday night will be a tell all about who will advance in 4A. I think if you were to rank Loudoun top to bottom all divisions it would look like this right now. Based on scores and teams personnel.

Riverside
County
Dominion
Freedom
Champe
Broad Run
Valley
Potomac falls
Briarwoods
Stonebridge
Heritage
Independence
Woodgrove

Tied for last
Rock Ridge
Parkview
Lightridge

County and Dominion are the only teams who could give Riverside a run this year. The N. Callis fogo at riverside is legit, and they have club players all over the field, the only other teams like this in loco right now are the Titans and Captains. Wish they could cross pollinate like other years between 4-a and 5-a
I think this week we will see how good Riverside really is. Kudos to team for raising the bar
FXLax

Post by FXLax »

Great seeing South Lakes alum Matt Hughes making all kinds of plays last night for Loyola in their win over Denver. Great win for the Greyhounds!!
Lax89

Post by Lax89 »

Langley 6

Madison 5
Crlaxy

Post by Crlaxy »

Gonzaga 16
Riverside 10

Too many high level players for a public school to keep up with
Tactful Lax

Post by Tactful Lax »

Too many high level grade repeaters.
Crlaxy

Post by Crlaxy »

They don't call it Mater Dei'lay for nothing
Raiderlax2K

Post by Raiderlax2K »

Does anyone see any PWC teams besides patriot and battlefield taking the next step in being competitive with the top schools? These schools (Patriot/battled) have the advantage of their populations being lacrosse familiar and that will probably never change. The other PWC schools usually only have a select few players with playing experience and to make up the difference by finding athletes throughout the school. I played at SJ (‘19) and while we did have the athletes and were competitive, it took a while to get unfamiliar players comfortable with their sticks and once they did it was fine cause we had athletes at the end of the day, most of us playing football too, but what really killed us only having 6 on the bench… not lack of playing experience. Stonewall (unity reed now lol), osbourn park, Forest park, and colgan have shown glimpses of success over the years, especially Osbourn Park. Does anyone see this county’s lax talent spreading out anytime soon? If yes, why? If no, why? And what can be done to help it.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

Raiderlax2K wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:36 am Does anyone see any PWC teams besides patriot and battlefield taking the next step in being competitive with the top schools? These schools (Patriot/battled) have the advantage of their populations being lacrosse familiar and that will probably never change. The other PWC schools usually only have a select few players with playing experience and to make up the difference by finding athletes throughout the school. I played at SJ (‘19) and while we did have the athletes and were competitive, it took a while to get unfamiliar players comfortable with their sticks and once they did it was fine cause we had athletes at the end of the day, most of us playing football too, but what really killed us only having 6 on the bench… not lack of playing experience. Stonewall (unity reed now lol), osbourn park, Forest park, and colgan have shown glimpses of success over the years, especially Osbourn Park. Does anyone see this county’s lax talent spreading out anytime soon? If yes, why? If no, why? And what can be done to help it.
Great question. Unfortunately I see it going the other way. Patriot and Battlefield will get weaker with the new HS splitting again. Before patriot opened and before colgan imagine how good Battlefield would be if all the youth players all went to Battlefield? They would have been able to compete with anyone. The talent in Gainesville area is there but keeps getting divided Loudoun has the same issue. They keep building new schools and dividing the talent. Lacrosse youth programs in Woodbridge have never been strong. PVI is now closer for many PWC families which may further drain the talent pool. A good PWC based club program would help
novalax1

Post by novalax1 »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:41 am
Raiderlax2K wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:36 am Does anyone see any PWC teams besides patriot and battlefield taking the next step in being competitive with the top schools? These schools (Patriot/battled) have the advantage of their populations being lacrosse familiar and that will probably never change. The other PWC schools usually only have a select few players with playing experience and to make up the difference by finding athletes throughout the school. I played at SJ (‘19) and while we did have the athletes and were competitive, it took a while to get unfamiliar players comfortable with their sticks and once they did it was fine cause we had athletes at the end of the day, most of us playing football too, but what really killed us only having 6 on the bench… not lack of playing experience. Stonewall (unity reed now lol), osbourn park, Forest park, and colgan have shown glimpses of success over the years, especially Osbourn Park. Does anyone see this county’s lax talent spreading out anytime soon? If yes, why? If no, why? And what can be done to help it.
Great question. Unfortunately I see it going the other way. Patriot and Battlefield will get weaker with the new HS splitting again. Before patriot opened and before colgan imagine how good Battlefield would be if all the youth players all went to Battlefield? They would have been able to compete with anyone. The talent in Gainesville area is there but keeps getting divided Loudoun has the same issue. They keep building new schools and dividing the talent. Lacrosse youth programs in Woodbridge have never been strong. PVI is now closer for many PWC families which may further drain the talent pool. A good PWC based club program would help
There have been multiple club programs out of PWC over the years. The problem is that they never get any traction and eventually end up fizzling out once the club director's kid moves on to college or a different program. If you're a Patriot or Battlefield kid right now, what's the benefit of playing with a PWC club with average players when you can travel 30-45 minutes up the road and play with much better talent? PWC will always play second/third fiddle, especially with new high schools popping up like weeds.
since1986

Post by since1986 »

Anyone have the South County v. Fairfax score?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

laxbro1 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:06 am Riverside is very good but your forgetting about Dominion and Loudoun County HS as well, they are both very good... Wish they could cross pollinate like other years between 4-a and 5-a
Riverside's SOS (Strength of Schedule) is awful. Literally one of the worst in all of the state of Virginia including public and private. They may be awesome (which i'm not so sure they are) but you can't say this is the case based on their performances this season. because... their SOS is awful. Why not up their SOS? State restrictions?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
GreenEggs

Post by GreenEggs »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:41 pm
laxbro1 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:06 am Riverside is very good but your forgetting about Dominion and Loudoun County HS as well, they are both very good... Wish they could cross pollinate like other years between 4-a and 5-a
Riverside's SOS (Strength of Schedule) is awful. Literally one of the worst in all of the state of Virginia including public and private. They may be awesome (which i'm not so sure they are) but you can't say this is the case based on their performances this season. because... their SOS is awful. Why not up their SOS? State restrictions?
Let’s relax there. Still the best public school team in VA by far. They don’t play in 6A, so their schedule will obviously be weaker, but I betcha 6A coaches are pretty thrilled that they don’t have to play Riverside this year.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

GreenEggs wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:00 pm ...but I betcha 6A coaches are pretty thrilled that they don’t have to play Riverside this year.
No way. Any coach worth their weight in salt wants to play the best teams. That's how you improve... which is why I'm curious about Riverside.
Caddy Day
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:12 pm
GreenEggs wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:00 pm ...but I betcha 6A coaches are pretty thrilled that they don’t have to play Riverside this year.
No way. Any coach worth their weight in salt wants to play the best teams. That's how you improve... which is why I'm curious about Riverside.
I agree teams want to play the best teams which is why Riverside should get credit for stepping up and playing the best. While the SOS may be weak on paper the did take on a team tougher than any other public school. Also Freedom is a decent team and they dominated. They are clearly the top VA public school team
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:35 pmThey are clearly the top VA public school team
Can they play privates?
Caddy Day
Crlaxy

Post by Crlaxy »

Word is many invites went out. Only Gonzaga accepted.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”