2021 NCAA Tournament

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Wheels

Re: 2021 NCAA Tournament

Post by Wheels »

Unknown Participant wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:19 pm I am okay with Carc and I think he generally provides good insight. Presumably, he has cleaned up his act over the past few. A lot of anti-Carc bias in this forum, but I, a huge consumer of college lacrosse on TV/internet, can attest that he is in the top third. I'll take Boyle and maybe Cotter (Zimmerman too, but he tends to pander a bit) and the LSN guys (Gurenlian (sp?) with good color) at the top, and then the ESPN crew.
I'm with you about Carc. Of the 3 - Carc, Anish, and Quint - I feel like Carc is the only one that keeps his own biases in check. Anish is too busy trying paint the Mona Lisa with words about every game he calls and can't contain his Cuse love. Quint just likes to troll people. Like, not troll some people. But troll all people. Mayne he thinks he's the Skip Bayless of college lacrosse?

I like Carc. I like his energy. I like that he's always human and not afraid to show his emotion. He's not afraid to laugh at himself. I think he also provides better analysis than most.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Agreed, forgot to mention Benninati (sp?), an old lacrosse foe from the 80s that calls a great lacrosse (and hockey) game.

Anyone have his email btw?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Unknown Participant wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:34 pm Agreed, forgot to mention Benninati (sp?), an old lacrosse foe from the 80s that calls a great lacrosse (and hockey) game.

Mark Dixon is up there with Ryan Boyle, IMO.
Unknown Participant

Wheels wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:35 pm
Unknown Participant wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:34 pm Agreed, forgot to mention Benninati (sp?), an old lacrosse foe from the 80s that calls a great lacrosse (and hockey) game.

Mark Dixon is up there with Ryan Boyle, IMO.
Agreed
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

No one ever opines on Matt Ward. Just complete indifference
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

I would love to see the odds of these potential games.

UNC vs. Rutgers
Georgetown vs UVA
Denver vs. Duke
Maryland vs. ND

ACC final four odds don''t look good based on today's games. Lots more action. I can't wait for Sunday.
Unknown Participant

DU-fan wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:57 pm I would love to see the odds of these potential games.

UNC vs. Rutgers
Georgetown vs UVA
Denver vs. Duke
Maryland vs. ND

ACC final four odds don''t look good based on today's games. Lots more action. I can't wait for Sunday.
You can see them on Draft King.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Wheels wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:27 pm
Unknown Participant wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:19 pm I am okay with Carc and I think he generally provides good insight. Presumably, he has cleaned up his act over the past few. A lot of anti-Carc bias in this forum, but I, a huge consumer of college lacrosse on TV/internet, can attest that he is in the top third. I'll take Boyle and maybe Cotter (Zimmerman too, but he tends to pander a bit) and the LSN guys (Gurenlian (sp?) with good color) at the top, and then the ESPN crew.
I'm with you about Carc. Of the 3 - Carc, Anish, and Quint - I feel like Carc is the only one that keeps his own biases in check. Anish is too busy trying paint the Mona Lisa with words about every game he calls and can't contain his Cuse love. Quint just likes to troll people. Like, not troll some people. But troll all people. Mayne he thinks he's the Skip Bayless of college lacrosse?

I like Carc. I like his energy. I like that he's always human and not afraid to show his emotion. He's not afraid to laugh at himself. I think he also provides better analysis than most.
anish spent the end of the cuse game quoting john thompson slamming them. That's like jeter waving a red sox flag on a broadcast. He's persona non grata to me for his PM thrashing but he was not charitable at the end of the cuse broadcast.

evan washburn, boyle, tessitore, matt ward do a nice job.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

jhu06 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:07 pm

anish spent the end of the cuse game quoting john thompson slamming them. That's like jeter waving a red sox flag on a broadcast. He's persona non grata to me for his PM thrashing but he was not charitable at the end of the cuse broadcast.

evan washburn, boyle, tessitore, matt ward do a nice job.
Qunit and Carc do a much better jobs than Anish. I know Quint can be too critical or negative at teams and Carc can get a be too chummy with players and goofy with haircuts and food. But, they know the game. The B1G announcers are great. Eric Law does a great job for Altitude. Steve Panarelli does a nice job for CBS Sports Network.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Unknown Participant wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:00 pm
DU-fan wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:57 pm I would love to see the odds of these potential games.

UNC vs. Rutgers
Georgetown vs UVA
Denver vs. Duke
Maryland vs. ND

You can see them on Draft King.
I could only see the odds for tomorrow games.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

ESPN crew is overbearing, Anish the worst. Agree that the B10 guys are good, and Panarelli is quite knowledgeable as well.
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

It was like trying to pull teeth to get Quint to make a comment last night when Anish was going on about the Cuse coaching staff and their long drought and underperforming teams. Not sure if it was out of respect , but finally he seemed to agree.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Itsallgood wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:53 am

It was like trying to pull teeth to get Quint to make a comment last night when Anish was going on about the Cuse coaching staff and their long drought and underperforming teams. Not sure if it was out of respect , but finally he seemed to agree.
Felt more like he was trying to avoid Anish trying to force down our throats that the team was distracted because of the Scanlan thing. He wasn’t touching that with a 10 foot pole
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

jrn19 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:54 am

Felt more like he was trying to avoid Anish trying to force down our throats that the team was distracted because of the Scanlan thing. He wasn’t touching that with a 10 foot pole
Anish was very vocal that he ranked Syracuse #1 at the beginning of season and was trying to get Quint to agree that they both felt that way. I thought Quint wanted to say that he never thought Syracuse was #1 and he never agreed with Anish. It sounded like Anish was starting to annoy Quint and he did not know how to get off the subject.

In fairness, Quint ranked SU #4 in week 1 and #6 after their loss to Army.

Week 1: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... s-go/57291
Week 2: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... -all/57342

These are the same weeks that Quint refused to give Georgetown any respect in his comments so I am sure he did not like the topic in general.
random observer

Post by random observer »

DU-fan wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:31 am

Anish was very vocal that he ranked Syracuse #1 at the beginning of season and was trying to get Quint to agree that they both felt that way. I thought Quint wanted to say that he never thought Syracuse was #1 and he never agreed with Anish. It sounded like Anish was starting to annoy Quint and he did not know how to get off the subject.

These are the same weeks that Quint refused to give Georgetown any respect in his comments so I am sure he did not like the topic in general.
As someone who's been on the Georgetown bandwagon all year, I give Quint a pass on his reservations. And when they got smacked around by Denver and everyone else flipped on the Hoyas, to his credit Q actually said he came away from that game thinking that they were a really good team, and from that point on he more or less rated them more favorably than most members of the lax media

Q gets a bad rap around here, I think partially because he's roped in with Carc and Anish, and partially because he has a little bit of a know-it-all personality. But he cares deeply about the game, and I think he provides great insight on broadcasts -- especially when he's part of a different commentary team than QAC. In particular, I think that compared to most announcers, he has a much greater understanding of personalities and team dynamics. He seems to know how the players mesh together on a personal level, and who fills each role emotionally. In non-COVID years, he spends a lot of time with different teams observing their practices and workouts, and in my opinion these insights really help to paint a clearer picture of the makeup of the different teams beyond the obvious surface level stuff.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Anish was definitely annoying him lol. However, Quint ranked Syracuse #2 in his preseason poll. So him trying to pivot away from thinking Syracuse was an elite team was definitely some selective memory.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

random observer wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:49 am

As someone who's been on the Georgetown bandwagon all year, I give Quint a pass on his reservations. And when they got smacked around by Denver and everyone else flipped on the Hoyas, to his credit Q actually said he came away from that game thinking that they were a really good team, and from that point on he more or less rated them more favorably than most members of the lax media

Q gets a bad rap around here, I think partially because he's roped in with Carc and Anish, and partially because he has a little bit of a know-it-all personality. But he cares deeply about the game, and I think he provides great insight on broadcasts -- especially when he's part of a different commentary team than QAC. In particular, I think that compared to most announcers, he has a much greater understanding of personalities and team dynamics. He seems to know how the players mesh together on a personal level, and who fills each role emotionally. In non-COVID years, he spends a lot of time with different teams observing their practices and workouts, and in my opinion these insights really help to paint a clearer picture of the makeup of the different teams beyond the obvious surface level stuff.
I enjoy Quint because unlike so many in lax media or commentary; he actually updates his perceptions and beliefs on teams and doesn't just stick with the first thing he sees. Anish and Carc do this. They claimed Syracuse had the best 1st midfield in the country and then just stuck with it through the entire season even though it's been evident for a long time they don't. I like Carc's personality and he's a good guy; good interviewer. But on color comm he just sticks with the same narratives he develops of guys the first time he saw them.

Quint will not get caught up in narratives the way Anish was trying to push about Cuse being distracted or whatever - were they distracted when Army blew them out? Or ND the first time? - and he does, as you say, do really good, legitimate analysis of games in-game and out of it when he's not stuck with Anish talking about freaking Game of Thrones or whatever. However he definitely has a selective memory and likes to claim sometimes that he never said things he said or change his opinions; like last night when he was saying he didn't get the hype for Cuse even though he had them #2 to start the year.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Agree 100% with both of your comments. Spot on.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Anyone figure out how to follow good live stats? The NCAA website sucks.
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

DU-fan wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:25 pm Anyone figure out how to follow good live stats? The NCAA website sucks.
Go to Inside Lacrosse's site. They have live box scores with all the stats.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”