All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

6x6

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by 6x6 »

old salt wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:46 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:20 pmSalty's idea of free drink with a proof of vaccination...time to do it? ;)
Also a sound business move. Welcome back customers who can celebrate without fear or guilt. They won't stop at one drink.
We have family who run a pub in Wales, with stringent rules. They posted this recently, 14 second video to your point.

https://fb.watch/5vwHuDm3Hx/
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:46 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:20 pmSalty's idea of free drink with a proof of vaccination...time to do it? ;)
Also a sound business move. Welcome back customers who can celebrate without fear or guilt. They won't stop at one drink.
Absolutely, good business sense...as well as a contribution to getting things back to 'normal' faster.
Made sense when you suggested, and now would be a good time to do so.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:31 am
JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:14 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:37 pm
youthathletics wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:34 pm Bill Maher Tests positive after vaxx: https://deadline.com/2021/05/real-time- ... ssion=true
Probably a false positive.
Hes asymptomatic, feeling absolutely zero symptoms in his own words. Really not a story. People can still test positive after receiving the vaccine, they are highly highly unlikely to develop symptoms and the chances of them spreading the virus to another person are practically infinitesimal, in fact, I don't think there has been a recorded case ANYWHERE in the entire world were a vaccinated person who tested positive post-vaccination was determined to be the source of spread towards an unvaccinated person.

JoeMnauer89!
Yep. Also, a person’a chances of dying from Covid is expected to drop dramatically once vaccinated. Also, likelihood of severe illness also reduced...buy hey “liberal media guy has COVID-19”. Anyway, enjoy the games today.
it is quite the game we play on here.

or were you talking about the playoffs?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:52 am
youthathletics wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:34 pm Bill Maher Tests positive after vaxx: https://deadline.com/2021/05/real-time- ... ssion=true
Hes asymptomatic, feeling absolutely zero symptoms in his own words. Really not a story. People can still test positive after receiving the vaccine, they are highly highly unlikely to develop symptoms and the chances of them spreading the virus to another person are practically infinitesimal, in fact, I don't think there has been a recorded case ANYWHERE in the entire world were a vaccinated person who tested positive post-vaccination was determined to be the source of spread towards an unvaccinated person.

JoeMnauer89!
Yep. Also, a person’a chances of dying from Covid is expected to drop dramatically once vaccinated. Also, likelihood of severe illness also reduced...buy hey “liberal media guy has COVID-19”. Anyway, enjoy the games today.

Both! Buddy will be in Charlottesville today and hopes to catch the game. I don’t expect it to be pretty!
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:40 pm

JoeMnauer89!

Both! Buddy will be in Charlottesville today and hopes to catch the game. I don’t expect it to be pretty!
i hope he has tix already. uva not really posting much availability. i expect both games to have a chance at being good games. you have a favorite to win big?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

TBD, but I always felt this like was a pretty likely genesis/explanation, that some Chinese lab was messing around (with expected or hoped for negative intentions broadly) and it got out.

The COVID lab-leak theory goes mainstream
Bryan Walsh
Bryan Walsh, author of Future
Picture of the Wuhan Institute of Virology
The Wuhan Institute of Virology. Photo: Hector Retamal/AFP via Getty Images The COVID lab-leak theory goes mainstream
A group of high-profile scientists published a letter calling for renewed investigation into the origins of COVID-19 — including the theory that it spilled out of a virology lab.

Why it matters: The possibility that SARS-CoV-2 was created in a Chinese lab and accidentally escaped — rather than emerging naturally from an animal — was initially dismissed as a conspiracy theory. But the letter shows a potential lab leak is increasingly being taken seriously.

Driving the news: In the letter published Thursday in the journal Science, a group of prominent epidemiologists and biologists wrote "theories of accidental release from a lab and zoonotic spillover both remain viable."

Flashback: A World Health Organization-led investigation in China earlier this year concluded a zoonotic spillover from an animal was "likely to very likely," while a lab leak of a human-made virus was dismissed as "extremely unlikely."

The letter in Science, though, notes "the two theories were not given balanced consideration," with only four out of the report's 313 pages addressing the possibility of a laboratory accident.
Between the lines: In a contentious exchange with Sen. Rand Paul this week, Anthony Fauci said he was "fully in favor of any further investigation of what went on in China," while denying the National Institutes of Health had funded any "gain of function" research in China's Wuhan Institute of Virology.

Former New York Times science journalist Nicholas Wade raised more questions recently with a long article noting, among other things, the paucity of any clear evidence of a zoological spillover more than 16 months after the pandemic began.
The bottom line: Given the Chinese government's opacity on the issue, we may never know the true origins of a virus that has killed millions of people.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:56 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:40 pm

JoeMnauer89!

i hope he has tix already. uva not really posting much availability. i expect both games to have a chance at being good games. you have a favorite to win big?
UVA big.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:24 pm TBD, but I always felt this like was a pretty likely genesis/explanation, that some Chinese lab was messing around (with expected or hoped for negative intentions broadly) and it got out.

Bryan Walsh
The Wuhan Institute of Virology. Photo: Hector Retamal/AFP via Getty Images The COVID lab-leak theory goes mainstream
A group of high-profile scientists published a letter calling for renewed investigation into the origins of COVID-19 — including the theory that it spilled out of a virology lab.

Why it matters: The possibility that SARS-CoV-2 was created in a Chinese lab and accidentally escaped — rather than emerging naturally from an animal — was initially dismissed as a conspiracy theory. But the letter shows a potential lab leak is increasingly being taken seriously.

Driving the news: In the letter published Thursday in the journal Science, a group of prominent epidemiologists and biologists wrote "theories of accidental release from a lab and zoonotic spillover both remain viable."

Flashback: A World Health Organization-led investigation in China earlier this year concluded a zoonotic spillover from an animal was "likely to very likely," while a lab leak of a human-made virus was dismissed as "extremely unlikely."

The letter in Science, though, notes "the two theories were not given balanced consideration," with only four out of the report's 313 pages addressing the possibility of a laboratory accident.
Between the lines: In a contentious exchange with Sen. Rand Paul this week, Anthony Fauci said he was "fully in favor of any further investigation of what went on in China," while denying the National Institutes of Health had funded any "gain of function" research in China's Wuhan Institute of Virology.

Former New York Times science journalist Nicholas Wade raised more questions recently with a long article noting, among other things, the paucity of any clear evidence of a zoological spillover more than 16 months after the pandemic began.
The bottom line: Given the Chinese government's opacity on the issue, we may never know the true origins of a virus that has killed millions of people.
Waiting to see a few around here also tell you how wrong you are for even considering a thought like this, like the others that also believe this is a REAL possibility.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

youthathletics wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:01 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:24 pm TBD, but I always felt this like was a pretty likely genesis/explanation, that some Chinese lab was messing around (with expected or hoped for negative intentions broadly) and it got out.

Bryan Walsh

Waiting to see a few around here also tell you how wrong you are for even considering a thought like this, like the others that also believe this is a REAL possibility.
“The bottom line: Given the Chinese government's opacity on the issue, we may never know the true origins of a virus that has killed millions of people.”

I think the takeaway is this: we’ll probably never know if it “escaped” or not.

And even if it did and it could be proved, what then? China has the world by the manufacturing shorthairs due to decades of questionable MBA-inspired stupidity re labor costs vs. manufacturing capacity and intellectual property.

Or to phrase it in the vernacular, “watcha gunna do about it?”

Better to keep quiet and not demonstrate our weakness. Problem with Trump and his advisers is that they were stupid. Don’t ask questions you don’t want the answer to.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Bryan Walsh

My suspicion, but it’s just that, is that there may have been more than purely academic (learning for learnings sake) research being done on behalf of the govt and like any sloppy command control system stuff like this happens.

Similar to Chernobyl except with global ramifications. I’ve never thought the release of this were the case were intentional and what exactly the goal or mandate was around messing with this virus I feel was likely not all good.

But this would be a far cry from believing this was some form of calculated and methodically executed viral warfare and still think the nature (and reductive idiocy) of the China, China, China which I honestly still believe was a form of deflection because I do think the former family has deep ties to dirty money coming from there, weather it’s actually illegal or just something they really desperately want to keep quiet and private.

Pulled this story from Axios so I doubt I’ll get a wave of dismissiveness.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:51 pm

Bryan Walsh

“The bottom line: Given the Chinese government's opacity on the issue, we may never know the true origins of a virus that has killed millions of people.”

And even if it did and it could be proved, what then? China has the world by the manufacturing shorthairs due to decades of questionable MBA-inspired stupidity re labor costs vs. manufacturing capacity and intellectual property.

Better to keep quiet and not demonstrate our weakness. Problem with Trump and his advisers is that they were stupid. Don’t ask questions you don’t want the answer to.
Well it’s a “Mexican standoff” (shoot me like they are going to do for this racist saying I still like using it) between us and China because they can never unwind their massive dollar and Treasury reserves without killing themselves too.

By the way, MBA programs were talking China, China, China 15-20yrs ago. Not saying I’m right but I pushed back in a private conversation with one of the more talented professors* in my less recognized grad school. I pushed back in the big picture sense of how can we really be challenged by a country that a. Doesn’t fundamentally believe in property rights; b. Doesn’t have transparent or well built organizational infrastructure (broadly, only where the party wants it to be like biometrics) and, perhaps most importantly, c. Doesn’t actually innovate, just steals and throws labor at everything which ultimately would be far from optimizing the means of production Mix for the vast majority of industries. Even in manufacturing see the Netflix special on the Ohio plant (don’t think it’s lordstown but one that gm sold, they can’t envision a higher level of efficiency and optimization than a southern ag slaveholder basically and that window to dominate through cheap labor is already closing as we can see demographically). Especially in the 2000s when the focus was on a significant migration from product to service based economy. He may or may not be right but he privately agreed with all my points but also that we need a “threat” to focus on or else we will get our pants pulled down rather than that they may necessarily be the global threat.

Now whether the migration to service based as higher in the value chain is either relatively or absolutely true is a separate debate but I’m still very much an empirical skeptic with respect to the threat China actually poses on an existential level unless they do it in more post modern covert or guerrilla fashion like messing with our elections, hacking our grid, espionage (public and private) but if that’s the real threat then they are no more and potentially less threatening than russia.

*(Shyam Chidamber-practiced at McKinsey and has operational and strategic roles w Bell Labs, GE and one or two other companies, brilliant guy-https://www.american.edu/kogod/faculty/shyam.cfm)
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Bryan Walsh

Not following you. What questions did we ask that we don’t want answers to?

You can also imply guilt (blame Wuhan U)so the other side must prove innocence and be forthcoming.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

youthathletics wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:29 pm

Bryan Walsh

Not following you. What questions did we ask that we don’t want answers to?

You can also imply guilt (blame Wuhan U)so the other side must prove innocence and be forthcoming.
Didn’t imply guilt; said it was irrelevant.

The “question” Trump’s wheedling, sniveling asked was “did the virus escape from a Chinese virology lab”.

First, we’ll never be able to prove it and they will always deny, so time and effort should have been and still should be spent in preparation for these events.

Whining, deflection and denial aren’t helpful or something I look for in a leader. That should be a new slogan, “Donnie of non-utility.” He’s basically a waste of space and oxygen. If he had stuck to his real estate grifting I wouldn’t care. Unfortunately he has inserted himself into places he has no business: like a turtle on a fence post —doesn’t belong there, didn’t get there on his own, and will need help getting down.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

The only notion that I object to is the notion that any of us on here have denied that there is a "REAL possibility" that it could have been out of a lab. Of course it should be "considered".

But it shouldn't be assumed, nor be a political bludgeon.

What I do think should be "assumed" is that because there's at least such a possibility, safety protocols should be a priority. How do we better ensure that any labs involved are super safe?
Typical Lax Dad

https://www.france24.com/en/americas/20 ... n-approval

Joe was so wrong it’s hard to believe he isn’t being raked over the coals like Trump!
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:42 pm https://www.france24.com/en/americas/20 ... n-approval

Joe was so wrong it’s hard to believe he isn’t being raked over the coals like Trump!
you're better than this, tld.
joe, throughout the entire 4th quarter (while the election was still in doubt... see what i did there?) was.... wrong.

after that? he was right (and ahold of his faculties?).

carry on.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:48 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:42 pm https://www.france24.com/en/americas/20 ... n-approval

joe, throughout the entire 4th quarter (while the election was still in doubt... see what i did there?) was.... wrong.

carry on.
It’s a joke. I don’t care what old Joe says. He could be a hub cap for all I care.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:08 pm

carry on.
It’s a joke. I don’t care what old Joe says. He could be a hub cap for all I care.
i know. but not leaving a hanging chad....
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:12 pm

carry on.
I am an excess death guy.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:17 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:12 pm

carry on.
I am an excess death guy.
finally. one convert.

Return to “POLITICS”