Would clearer rules regarding “trollish” behavior on the Politics sub-forum be conducive to productive discourse?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Farfromgeneva

Re: Would clearer rules regarding “trollish” behavior on the Politics sub-forum be conducive to productive discourse?

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:46 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:40 pm
Marjorie Taylor Greene and her family watch that part with popcorn as if it were a documentary feel good story.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good one!
BTW, totally separate topic and I know you prefer your cultural enjoyment to come from pre Alexander Grahm Bell and Edison but there's a Minneapolis based collective I learned about while having a concert channel (AXS) on in the background showing South by Southwest Performances (maybe 2017 or 2018 I cant say it was whenever IberiaBank bought Sabbadell in Miami from Santander so you can look that up and back a few weeks out from the announcement date) and this weird but talented, IMO, colelctive called Doomtree from Minneapolis was playing some interesting stuff. More importantly to you I came to understand they put on these local concerts called Doomtree blowouts for more than a decade in your backyard that was all local musicians and would get well over 10,000 for local entertainment shows. Sounds like they've been a big influence on the local music community for the last 20yrs give or take so I'd think you'd find it interesting even if you hate the music. It's possible i'm influenced a littel by the references such as "call me david lynch cause I make them act funny" or "Then planes, trains, and automobiles, I'm John Candy, Y'all just can't stand me, I make em feel ridiculous" or 'So fly took a bullet in the wax wing, So high but didn't get the chance to melt, So tight how when he came down didn't even look scared, Just eased on back into the veldt"

(they have a touch of anti gov't rebellion anarchy in their stuff you might enjoy as well, one track called No Kings which is a punk/rap mix you'd particularly enjoy perhaps on the lyrics at least)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomtree

https://www.doomtree.net/

* you might not be surprised to find there's a beautiful woman with a good voice, has a bit of that tri state edge to it. She does some spoken word stuff in your hood as well - her name is Dessa
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
JoeMauer89

Re: Would clearer rules regarding “trollish” behavior on the Politics sub-forum be conducive to productive discourse?

Post by JoeMauer89 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:43 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:29 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:19 pm Yeah but the caps are shouting which if you did in person would be a form of aggression. I applaud that you wouldn't hide behind "anonymous board" stuff but that doesn't make it right. I hold my degenerate upbringing in higher regard than I should which is why my two best friends and I always feel the same way when we go back, which is "man I had more binghamton pride until I got back here...". That is to say I have lived street rules my whole life but it doesn't make it right. I just understand. Still think you are way to myopically focused on one guy for some reason I don't get but that's a A-B conversation and I'm C (eeing my way back out of it).
That's fair regarding the myopic focus, I do try my best and can ignore pretty much anyone on this site when I want to, but I am admittedly incapable of it with MD. I'm attempting to work on it. There's a lot of his garbage I do ignore, just like I am well aware many ignore me. It's part of life, can't please everyone. All though there are many on this site, who naively believe they can. I did say naively which is ironic, given the age demographic on this site.

JoeMauer89!
Here's an idea Joe.
How about if I address you directly, you tell me whatever you think of my post (within the rules against personal attacks) and why, with whatever logic and facts you think relevant...but if I'm not talking to you, you hadn't been in the conversation at all, you don't enter the conversation with a yelling, insulting, attacking post at me?

Pretty simple really.
Even for someone of your age (sorry, that was just a joke re the 'age demographic' crack ;) ).
I'll try my best MD, can't promise but I will try my best. Fair enough.

JoeMauer89!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:16 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:43 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:29 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:19 pm Yeah but the caps are shouting which if you did in person would be a form of aggression. I applaud that you wouldn't hide behind "anonymous board" stuff but that doesn't make it right. I hold my degenerate upbringing in higher regard than I should which is why my two best friends and I always feel the same way when we go back, which is "man I had more binghamton pride until I got back here...". That is to say I have lived street rules my whole life but it doesn't make it right. I just understand. Still think you are way to myopically focused on one guy for some reason I don't get but that's a A-B conversation and I'm C (eeing my way back out of it).
That's fair regarding the myopic focus, I do try my best and can ignore pretty much anyone on this site when I want to, but I am admittedly incapable of it with MD. I'm attempting to work on it. There's a lot of his garbage I do ignore, just like I am well aware many ignore me. It's part of life, can't please everyone. All though there are many on this site, who naively believe they can. I did say naively which is ironic, given the age demographic on this site.

JoeMauer89!
Here's an idea Joe.
How about if I address you directly, you tell me whatever you think of my post (within the rules against personal attacks) and why, with whatever logic and facts you think relevant...but if I'm not talking to you, you hadn't been in the conversation at all, you don't enter the conversation with a yelling, insulting, attacking post at me?

Pretty simple really.
Even for someone of your age (sorry, that was just a joke re the 'age demographic' crack ;) ).
I'll try my best MD, can't promise but I will try my best. Fair enough.

JoeMauer89!
Indeed, fair enough.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

@FarfromGeneva,

Very interesting website. Yes, I do prefer prehistoric music but some current stars do have a great deal of merit. Hadn't heard of this production company up to now. While Dessa appears to be a good singer, I felt Doja Cat in that same site had an even better look and voice. Unfortunately, her lyrics contained a few naughty terms that did not quite add to her music's aesthetic merits. Good production to her music. Will likely be a big star if she hasn't achieved that status already.

Thanks for sharing.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Thought you'd care as much as they appear to be pretty involved locally and have had some impact with their "blowout" shows including other acts and whatnot since it's in your backyard.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:20 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:18 pmRight did I say the movie is racist or did someone not bother to critically read before posting something suggesting I don’t get it? F that if that’s what passes as legitimate discussion.
the discussion strayed from the originally and then someone was confused and the confusion was clarified and... no one thought or thinks you thought the movie was racist.
ffg's post contained the word "racist" & TomnyNo's quote/reply, combined, prompted DMac to reply & defend the post.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:32 pm @FarfromGeneva,

Very interesting website. Yes, I do prefer prehistoric music but some current stars do have a great deal of merit. Hadn't heard of this production company up to now. While Dessa appears to be a good singer, I felt Doja Cat in that same site had an even better look and voice. Unfortunately, her lyrics contained a few naughty terms that did not quite add to her music's aesthetic merits. Good production to her music. Will likely be a big star if she hasn't achieved that status already.

Thanks for sharing.
Try this one song out before you give up on Dessa (on either front)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_uxsmkZ0pM
old salt

Post by old salt »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:58 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:18 pmRight did I say the movie is racist or did someone not bother to critically read before posting something suggesting I don’t get it? F that if that’s what passes as legitimate discussion.
the discussion strayed from the originally and then someone was confused and the confusion was clarified and... no one thought or thinks you thought the movie was racist.
I’m talking about the quote from Os “anyone who thinks Blazing Saddles is racist really doesn’t get it” having just popped in, playing a victim here while and then without any attempt at clarification drops a bomb and walks out and then we are supposed to feel bad that we lost that?
No need to be a crybaby. You brought "racist" into the discussion, Tommy No picked up on it & posted an ambiguous video clip, prompting DMac to feel it necessary to defend using the Blazing Saddles clop.

I didn't say YOU didn't get it. I said ANYONE who thinks it's racist doesn't get it.
Last edited by old salt on Fri May 14, 2021 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:59 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:38 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:29 pmAs to communicating in person, I do know that if someone was yelling in my face this way they might well find themselves on their butts wondering what happened.
No, MD. I don't believe that. Or I don't want to believe that. I want to believe that you're an adult and recognize that getting in a fist fight as an adult is just not OK. I have a neighbor who I would love to pound into the dirt. And i can say with 100% surety that i could. But i don't. Because... I'm an adult. Because my mind controls my emotions and not the other way around. As much as I'm proud of myself for being able to go to an all-you-can-eat buffet and not eat all i can eat (which was not always the case), I pat myself on the back for being able to ride the horse as opposed to having the horse ride me.
Well sure, which is why I try pretty darn hard not to be in such situations with someone yelling in my face. But the few 'fights' I've been in in my life were all precipitated by this sort of thing. Switch flipped. Much to my own surprise.

I'd like to think, at this point, I'd find a way to defuse the situation. Then again, that's what I've previously thought.

But I'm not a fist fighter. Just an old wrestler.

It had been quite awhile since any sort of physical altercation, but when my brother-in-law went off on my wife quite awfully twice this past year, I stepped into the middle to try and defuse...he took a swing each time and I needed to subdue him...he's a big guy, has about 30 lbs on me, and threw a bunch of punches which connected glancingly, but he went down hard on his butt... and then I tied him up so that he couldn't swing any more...until he lost enthusiasm...lots of bruises to my neck, arms and back, but nothing I couldn't handle. Happened twice. Yeah, this Trump cult stuff is toxic.

Pretty much the same for any other "fights" I've been in, almost always because I was sticking up for someone else getting bullied, got caught in the middle and needed to subdue the other guy. I wouldn't say that I 'won' fights (no one really wins), but never failed to put the other guy down.
“I’m not as good as I once was, but I’m as good once as I ever was. - Toby Keith

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ldQrapQ4d0Y
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

exact same post but go back and delete the "No need to be a crybaby." and we have real progress...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
old salt

Post by old salt »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:57 pm exact same post but go back and delete the "No need to be a crybaby." and we have real progress...
It was in reply to this. The 3rd time complaining about my non-specific post.
I’m talking about the quote from Os “anyone who thinks Blazing Saddles is racist really doesn’t get it” having just popped in, playing a victim here while and then without any attempt at clarification drops a bomb and walks out and then we are supposed to feel bad that we lost that?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Understood. And still. But, hey, listen, to each their own.
Caddy Day
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Tenterhooks, anyone?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

old salt wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:53 pm
No need to be a crybaby. You brought "racist" into the discussion, Tommy No picked up on it & posted an ambiguous video clip, prompting DMac to feel it necessary to defend using the Blazing Saddles clop.

I didn't say YOU didn't get it. I said ANYONE who thinks it's racist doesn't get it.
I guess I'm a crybaby. Good thing we all agreed that face to face confrontation doesn't make sense for adults...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:13 pm
old salt wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:53 pm

I guess I'm a crybaby. Good thing we all agreed that face to face confrontation doesn't make sense for adults...
:D see I can use emojis too...

Salty's comment was a mite snarky, only maybe a sneaky insult. It had the benefit of truth that anyone who actually didn't understand the point of the movie would be a head scratcher...but, Salty, that did seem to imply that FFG might not understand...after all, who else were you raising that about?

Now, the "crybaby" thing, I agree that's not needed to defend yourself, assuming you had clean intent in the first place....presumably the case. The rest of your post, and without the all caps, would have been sufficient explanation. But the crybaby and all caps raises the hostility meter.

I offer that only because of the topic of the thread, and the discussion on how we might improve tone, ...not to be "sanctimonious" ;) ; I've made plenty of the same sorts of 'mistakes.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Well, I wasn't saying anything directly just thinking how it was good we established rules around adult fighting.

See how pathetic, and to Matnum's prior point passive aggressvive (lame a**), this can be and is.

I'm deeply flawed but at least you know where you stand with my posts. (when i type them properly anyway) But will get into the mud too quickly for even my own tastes, but it's a bit instinctive at this point.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Self-awareness is the first step to recovery.

Or good typing?

Beautiful day here in the Mid-Atlantic...hope all 'in the neighborhood' enjoyed a little...and hope it will be good weather for the lax games coming up!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:10 pm Self-awareness is the first step to recovery.

Or good typing?

Beautiful day here in the Mid-Atlantic...hope all 'in the neighborhood' enjoyed a little...and hope it will be good weather for the lax games coming up!
I bought my daughter her first “big girl” bike which is a 20” Nikishi brand (https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/ni ... 0gxxxxxgjm)

It’ll take her a day or two to get comfortable but let her pick it out and it’s a terrific purple and pink color. Pretty badass for such a princess type.

Princess type defined in a few quotes:

“daddy, is this rock because I only listen to pop music”

(for fairytale ball of Disney characters when I come down in a surprise prince outfit that made me look fatter than ten tv lenses) “daddy, you dress normal,I’m the only one who should be dressed up”
“daddy their not jeans I don’t wear jeans”

(after a hike but before getting dinner when I tell her she’s still beautiful) “NO, I want to be more beautiful”

or my very two worst

“daddy, I don’t think you should fight hulk” (her favorite avenger, didn’t think twice in the Thor movie where they fight where most kids would be conflicted, she wanted Chris hemsworth dead) And

“daddy what if I want to go to the prom with someone else” (the last to which I simply reminded her that she promised me and it would break my heart to get dumped for some stinky boy at school))

I also don’t like the way she looks at aquaman or when she came home kindergarten last year before it was shut down about how she has so many boyfriends she makes some sad because she can’t always play with all them. Trust me, I’m not opposed to 2a though I’m trying to make friends to put on a show like this (I’m definitely already shredded way more than 50 :), just need to meet some cool Samoans):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QaN1xcxEJoQ
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:05 pm Tenterhooks, anyone?
What does the expression on tenterhooks mean?
Tenterhooks were used in the process of making woollen cloth. The saying 'to be on tenterhooks' originated from this method of controlled drying, used to mean being in a state of uneasiness, anxiety, or suspense.
Caddy Day

Return to “POLITICS”