All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

seacoaster

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by seacoaster »

Happy Anniversary (a year ago today):

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1261017121078861826
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

seacoaster wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:21 pm Happy Anniversary (a year ago today):

he said it there a couple down. we have the best testing.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

seacoaster wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:21 pm Happy Anniversary (a year ago today):

... :lol: golden oldies.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu72 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:47 pm

... :lol: golden oldies.
The POTUS is just a ceremonial position. His words have no impact on anyone or anything.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

our communication and guidance, continued:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/14/cdc-che ... idappshare
Mel the Therapist

Post by Mel the Therapist »

Though it may feel like someone is attacking you, feelings aren't facts. Sometimes someone is actually attacking you. And this is never pleasant. But more often than not, the person who is "attacking you" is actually just reminding you of someone from your past (who used to attack you). Often fathers, mothers, and other parental figures.

Life can be hard but life is good,
Mel
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:32 pm our communication and guidance, continued:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/14/cdc-che ... idappshare
yup, far from perfect...how do we prove/know who is vaccinated? was my first reaction.

Apparently, most major retailers, grocers, etc are going to maintain in-store mask mandates for now.

But this definitely allows folks to have guests over, inside, with no sense of guilt if everyone indicates they've been vaccinated.

I'm still not headed to my local dive bar, but the fact that all of my regular contacts and I have definitely been vaccinated makes the risk of someone in my orbit getting seriously sick super low.

Salty's idea of free drink with a proof of vaccination...time to do it? ;)
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Mel the Therapist wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:17 pm Though it may feel like someone is attacking you, feelings aren't facts. Sometimes someone is actually attacking you. And this is never pleasant. But more often than not, the person who is "attacking you" is actually just reminding you of someone from your past (who used to attack you). Often fathers, mothers, and other parental figures.

Life can be hard but life is good,
Mel
I think you may want to post this thought over on one of the threads where 'trolling' etc is being discussed.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

How can you trust someone who gives his advice away for free? Now I will attempt to use an emoji. ;)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Farfrom, if you need to talk, I'm here...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

My lady costs $200/hr and it's really 45-50 min so I'm dropping $15k/pre tax a year starting out jan 1 before I've made a buck. Either im overpaying or this one is undercharging.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Bill Maher Tests positive after vaxx: https://deadline.com/2021/05/real-time- ... ssion=true
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:34 pm Bill Maher Tests positive after vaxx: https://deadline.com/2021/05/real-time- ... ssion=true
Probably a false positive.
“I wish you would!”
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:37 pm
youthathletics wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:34 pm Bill Maher Tests positive after vaxx: https://deadline.com/2021/05/real-time- ... ssion=true
Hes asymptomatic, feeling absolutely zero symptoms in his own words. Really not a story. People can still test positive after receiving the vaccine, they are highly highly unlikely to develop symptoms and the chances of them spreading the virus to another person are practically infinitesimal, in fact, I don't think there has been a recorded case ANYWHERE in the entire world were a vaccinated person who tested positive post-vaccination was determined to be the source of spread towards an unvaccinated person.

JoeMnauer89!
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:20 pmSalty's idea of free drink with a proof of vaccination...time to do it? ;)
Also a sound business move. Welcome back customers who can celebrate without fear or guilt. They won't stop at one drink.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

jhu72 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:26 am
seacoaster wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:41 am
tech37 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:08 am Apologies for pay wall... if interested, maybe someone would post the article?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/13/scie ... tists.html
I don't have access to the Times right now, but here is the Post's version:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... pdates-us/

"Americans received welcome news on Thursday that the federal government was significantly relaxing its recommendations on mask use for vaccinated individuals, signaling the end of the coronavirus pandemic is in sight. But a group of 18 scientists from leading international research institutions is now calling for a “proper investigation” into the origins of the pandemic — and the possibility of a laboratory incident triggering the global health crisis.

In a letter published in the latest edition of the journal Science, the researchers say the findings of a joint investigation by the World Health Organization and China released in March are not sufficiently conclusive. That study, based on data collected by Chinese researchers, found that it was “extremely unlikely” that the virus leaked from a lab. But the 18 scientists say that the possibility must be taken seriously.

The origins of the coronavirus have been hotly contested, with the former Trump administration speculating without evidence that the virus leaked from a Chinese lab; China has also spread baseless claims that the U.S. Army created the virus."

Here is the letter in Science Magazine:

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/372/6543/694.1

"On 30 December 2019, the Program for Monitoring Emerging Diseases notified the world about a pneumonia of unknown cause in Wuhan, China (1). Since then, scientists have made remarkable progress in understanding the causative agent, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), its transmission, pathogenesis, and mitigation by vaccines, therapeutics, and non-pharmaceutical interventions. Yet more investigation is still needed to determine the origin of the pandemic. Theories of accidental release from a lab and zoonotic spillover both remain viable. Knowing how COVID-19 emerged is critical for informing global strategies to mitigate the risk of future outbreaks.

In May 2020, the World Health Assembly requested that the World Health Organization (WHO) director-general work closely with partners to determine the origins of SARS-CoV-2 (2). In November, the Terms of Reference for a China–WHO joint study were released (3). The information, data, and samples for the study's first phase were collected and summarized by the Chinese half of the team; the rest of the team built on this analysis. Although there were no findings in clear support of either a natural spillover or a lab accident, the team assessed a zoonotic spillover from an intermediate host as “likely to very likely,” and a laboratory incident as “extremely unlikely” [(4), p. 9]. Furthermore, the two theories were not given balanced consideration. Only 4 of the 313 pages of the report and its annexes addressed the possibility of a laboratory accident (4). Notably, WHO Director-General Tedros Ghebreyesus commented that the report's consideration of evidence supporting a laboratory accident was insufficient and offered to provide additional resources to fully evaluate the possibility (5).

As scientists with relevant expertise, we agree with the WHO director-general (5), the United States and 13 other countries (6), and the European Union (7) that greater clarity about the origins of this pandemic is necessary and feasible to achieve. We must take hypotheses about both natural and laboratory spillovers seriously until we have sufficient data. A proper investigation should be transparent, objective, data-driven, inclusive of broad expertise, subject to independent oversight, and responsibly managed to minimize the impact of conflicts of interest. Public health agencies and research laboratories alike need to open their records to the public. Investigators should document the veracity and provenance of data from which analyses are conducted and conclusions drawn, so that analyses are reproducible by independent experts."
... so "scientifically" nothing has changed since the WHO report. No more evidence one way or the other. The only thing that I see that has changed, is "politically", a group of scientists have amplified a point the WHO director made VERBALLY at the time of the release of the WHO report (which was reported by print media at the time of the release of the WHO report).

It is much clearer when reputable media report the story, than a politically motivated rage like the Washington Examiner.
This is a completely specious argument. "Scientifically", nothing needs to "change." The science is complete and the evidence has been presented causing more and more people in the scientific community to admit the plausibility of a lab leak hypothesis based on that evidence... Redfield, the WHO director, and now this group of 18 scientists reported on by NYT, to name a few. Once more in the scientific community overcome the fear of political reprisal and/or politically motivated discredit, we will get closer to truth re Covid-19 origin. That is the "change" that is needed, and IMO, will eventually happen.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

tech37 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:43 am
jhu72 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:26 am
seacoaster wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:41 am
tech37 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:08 am Apologies for pay wall... if interested, maybe someone would post the article?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/13/scie ... tists.html
I don't have access to the Times right now, but here is the Post's version:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... pdates-us/

"Americans received welcome news on Thursday that the federal government was significantly relaxing its recommendations on mask use for vaccinated individuals, signaling the end of the coronavirus pandemic is in sight. But a group of 18 scientists from leading international research institutions is now calling for a “proper investigation” into the origins of the pandemic — and the possibility of a laboratory incident triggering the global health crisis.

In a letter published in the latest edition of the journal Science, the researchers say the findings of a joint investigation by the World Health Organization and China released in March are not sufficiently conclusive. That study, based on data collected by Chinese researchers, found that it was “extremely unlikely” that the virus leaked from a lab. But the 18 scientists say that the possibility must be taken seriously.

The origins of the coronavirus have been hotly contested, with the former Trump administration speculating without evidence that the virus leaked from a Chinese lab; China has also spread baseless claims that the U.S. Army created the virus."

Here is the letter in Science Magazine:

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/372/6543/694.1

"On 30 December 2019, the Program for Monitoring Emerging Diseases notified the world about a pneumonia of unknown cause in Wuhan, China (1). Since then, scientists have made remarkable progress in understanding the causative agent, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), its transmission, pathogenesis, and mitigation by vaccines, therapeutics, and non-pharmaceutical interventions. Yet more investigation is still needed to determine the origin of the pandemic. Theories of accidental release from a lab and zoonotic spillover both remain viable. Knowing how COVID-19 emerged is critical for informing global strategies to mitigate the risk of future outbreaks.

In May 2020, the World Health Assembly requested that the World Health Organization (WHO) director-general work closely with partners to determine the origins of SARS-CoV-2 (2). In November, the Terms of Reference for a China–WHO joint study were released (3). The information, data, and samples for the study's first phase were collected and summarized by the Chinese half of the team; the rest of the team built on this analysis. Although there were no findings in clear support of either a natural spillover or a lab accident, the team assessed a zoonotic spillover from an intermediate host as “likely to very likely,” and a laboratory incident as “extremely unlikely” [(4), p. 9]. Furthermore, the two theories were not given balanced consideration. Only 4 of the 313 pages of the report and its annexes addressed the possibility of a laboratory accident (4). Notably, WHO Director-General Tedros Ghebreyesus commented that the report's consideration of evidence supporting a laboratory accident was insufficient and offered to provide additional resources to fully evaluate the possibility (5).

As scientists with relevant expertise, we agree with the WHO director-general (5), the United States and 13 other countries (6), and the European Union (7) that greater clarity about the origins of this pandemic is necessary and feasible to achieve. We must take hypotheses about both natural and laboratory spillovers seriously until we have sufficient data. A proper investigation should be transparent, objective, data-driven, inclusive of broad expertise, subject to independent oversight, and responsibly managed to minimize the impact of conflicts of interest. Public health agencies and research laboratories alike need to open their records to the public. Investigators should document the veracity and provenance of data from which analyses are conducted and conclusions drawn, so that analyses are reproducible by independent experts."
... so "scientifically" nothing has changed since the WHO report. No more evidence one way or the other. The only thing that I see that has changed, is "politically", a group of scientists have amplified a point the WHO director made VERBALLY at the time of the release of the WHO report (which was reported by print media at the time of the release of the WHO report).

It is much clearer when reputable media report the story, than a politically motivated rage like the Washington Examiner.
This is a completely specious argument. "Scientifically", nothing needs to "change." The science is complete and the evidence has been presented causing more and more people in the scientific community to admit the plausibility of a lab leak hypothesis based on that evidence... Redfield, the WHO director, and now this group of 18 scientists reported on by NYT, to name a few. Once more in the scientific community overcome the fear of political reprisal and/or politically motivated discredit, we will get closer to truth re Covid-19 origin. That is the "change" that is needed, and IMO, will eventually happen.
Not until Fauci is gone and likely not until a new shiny political theatrical story distracts us so it can be a small page 5 blurb, otherwise it will give credence to what Trump has said; it's too soon for that.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

old salt wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:46 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:20 pmSalty's idea of free drink with a proof of vaccination...time to do it? ;)
Also a sound business move. Welcome back customers who can celebrate without fear or guilt. They won't stop at one drink.
Erie County hosts 'Shot and Chaser' COVID-19 vaccine clinic at Resurgence Brewing
BUFFALO, N.Y. — The Erie County Department of Health is hosting several "Shot and a Chaser" COVID-19 vaccine clinics this month at local breweries. At the "Shot and a Chaser" vaccine clinics, anyone 21 years old or older who receives their first dose of the vaccine will get a free beer. The first "Shot and a Chaser" vaccine clinic happened Saturday May 8 at Resurgence Brewing in the City of Buffalo.
Typical Lax Dad

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:14 pm
Hes asymptomatic, feeling absolutely zero symptoms in his own words. Really not a story. People can still test positive after receiving the vaccine, they are highly highly unlikely to develop symptoms and the chances of them spreading the virus to another person are practically infinitesimal, in fact, I don't think there has been a recorded case ANYWHERE in the entire world were a vaccinated person who tested positive post-vaccination was determined to be the source of spread towards an unvaccinated person.

JoeMnauer89!
Yep. Also, a person’a chances of dying from Covid is expected to drop dramatically once vaccinated. Also, likelihood of severe illness also reduced...buy hey “liberal media guy has COVID-19”. Anyway, enjoy the games today.
“I wish you would!”
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:31 am
JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:14 pm

JoeMnauer89!
Yep. Also, a person’a chances of dying from Covid is expected to drop dramatically once vaccinated. Also, likelihood of severe illness also reduced...buy hey “liberal media guy has COVID-19”. Anyway, enjoy the games today.
ND-Drexel should be interesting, weather in Denver looks dicey... Old School Big East battle under the lights in College Park!

JoeMauer89!

Return to “POLITICS”