Would clearer rules regarding “trollish” behavior on the Politics sub-forum be conducive to productive discourse?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Brooklyn

Re: Would clearer rules regarding “trollish” behavior on the Politics sub-forum be conducive to productive discourse?

Post by Brooklyn »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:57 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:53 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:28 pm oh no brooklyn has never done anything incendiary in his life. just waste a ton of your time to prove it to him if you care enough.

Wasn't me - it was the Santars. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Now you sound like some of your enemies.

Yeah, well, aha, still waiting for you to name those "extremists" you mentioned earlier. This way nobody can accuse you of trolling. ;)
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Farfromgeneva

Re: Would clearer rules regarding “trollish” behavior on the Politics sub-forum be conducive to productive discourse?

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:59 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:38 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:29 pmAs to communicating in person, I do know that if someone was yelling in my face this way they might well find themselves on their butts wondering what happened.
No, MD. I don't believe that. Or I don't want to believe that. I want to believe that you're an adult and recognize that getting in a fist fight as an adult is just not OK. I have a neighbor who I would love to pound into the dirt. And i can say with 100% surety that i could. But i don't. Because... I'm an adult. Because my mind controls my emotions and not the other way around. As much as I'm proud of myself for being able to go to an all-you-can-eat buffet and not eat all i can eat (which was not always the case), I pat myself on the back for being able to ride the horse as opposed to having the horse ride me.
Well sure, which is why I try pretty darn hard not to be in such situations with someone yelling in my face. But the few 'fights' I've been in in my life were all precipitated by this sort of thing. Switch flipped. Much to my own surprise.

I'd like to think, at this point, I'd find a way to defuse the situation. Then again, that's what I've previously thought.

But I'm not a fist fighter. Just an old wrestler.

It had been quite awhile since any sort of physical altercation, but when my brother-in-law went off on my wife quite awfully twice this past year, I stepped into the middle to try and defuse...he took a swing each time and I needed to subdue him...he's a big guy, has about 30 lbs on me, and threw a bunch of punches which connected glancingly, but he went down hard on his butt... and then I tied him up so that he couldn't swing any more...until he lost enthusiasm...lots of bruises to my neck, arms and back, but nothing I couldn't handle. Happened twice. Yeah, this Trump cult stuff is toxic.

Pretty much the same for any other "fights" I've been in, almost always because I was sticking up for someone else getting bullied, got caught in the middle and needed to subdue the other guy. I wouldn't say that I 'won' fights (no one really wins), but never failed to put the other guy down.
None of us should be fighting in the real world. (in any world theoretically)

But, lifting from the Isreal thread just to mess w Matnum and play devils advocate If you were getting rocks or missles tossed at you each and every day maybe some bellicose rebuttal is warranted?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:00 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:28 pm oh no brooklyn has never done anything incendiary in his life. just waste a ton of your time to prove it to him if you care enough.

Yeah, well, aha, still waiting for you to name those "extremists" you mentioned earlier. This way nobody can accuse you of trolling. ;)
accuse me of trolling it's less disingenuous than saying "at least they can point to something in the bible" to justify your position unless you are consistent on that position.

The difference is you'll see me engaging and going both ways (on this site) not just tossing bombs and yet I'm the troll. Consistency matters if you want to be taken seriously.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

There's a time to reap and a time to sow...
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Santars ... oops, I mean Satmars, are and have always been consistent in their utilization and interpretation of the Bible. They challenge any and everyone to refute what they say but no one has ever met that challenge successfully.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:03 pm

accuse me of trolling it's less disingenuous than saying "at least they can point to something in the bible" to justify your position unless you are consistent on that position.

The difference is you'll see me engaging and going both ways (on this site) not just tossing bombs and yet I'm the troll. Consistency matters if you want to be taken seriously.
I could be mistaken, but I don't think Brooklyn was actually calling you a "troll"...thus the wink.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

We don't need any "clearer" rules or mods. It's just that forum right wingers are hyper sensitive especially when they are proven wrong as happens so often on this forum. Then they resort to insults and cry when the Admin gives them timeouts. The problem isn't the forum, its rules, or the Admin. The problem is them.

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:59 pmBut I'm not a fist fighter. Just an old wrestler.
I have the same background and I'm so grateful for it. The knock-out punch, to me, was and is dramatic. But I prefer diffusing. Get the takedown and stay on top...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:07 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:03 pm

I could be mistaken, but I don't think Brooklyn was actually calling you a "troll"...thus the wink.
See now I f'ed up. I do troll occasionally, but it's usually so out in left field as to be obvious. Mea culpa here.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:06 pm Santars ... oops, I mean Satmars, are and have always been consistent in their utilization and interpretation of the Bible. They challenge any and everyone to refute what they say but no one has ever met that challenge successfully.
What does a successful challenge look like when interpreting the bible?

In my mind it's "yeah that's a nice story and helps narrate history but it is more likely that Mel Brooks version with 15 commandments was the original plan from god than what you read in there"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I48hr8HhDv0
Mel the Therapist

Post by Mel the Therapist »

I was in a different thread and it was suggested that I post this here. I want to be wherever I can be most helpful.
Mel the Therapist wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:17 pm Though it may feel like someone is attacking you, feelings aren't facts. Sometimes someone is actually attacking you. And this is never pleasant. But more often than not, the person who is "attacking you" is actually just reminding you of someone from your past (who used to attack you). Often fathers, mothers, and other parental figures.

Life can be hard but life is good,
Mel
And don't forget, Life can be hard but life is good,
Mel
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:15 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:59 pmBut I'm not a fist fighter. Just an old wrestler.
I have the same background and I'm so grateful for it. The knock-out punch, to me, was and is dramatic. But I prefer diffusing. Get the takedown and stay on top...
I prefer forcing someone to quit after a body shot.

“I wish you would!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:19 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:06 pm Santars ... oops, I mean Satmars, are and have always been consistent in their utilization and interpretation of the Bible. They challenge any and everyone to refute what they say but no one has ever met that challenge successfully.

In my mind it's "yeah that's a nice story and helps narrate history but it is more likely that Mel Brooks version with 15 commandments was the original plan from god than what you read in there"

^ Mel might be just a bit off. One thing's for sure, he was well off in his interpretation of the Inquisition:

Unlike the East European victims on this entertaining blurb the real victims were Sefardic with many of my ancestors among them.

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:33 pm I prefer forcing someone to quit after a body shot.
Micky Ward's go-to move (in The Fighter).
Last edited by Matnum PI on Fri May 14, 2021 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Punching effectively is a skill few have. Amusing to watch people obviously unskilled go at it. They’re generally always drunk, which adds an added note of risibility.
Last edited by PizzaSnake on Fri May 14, 2021 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:37 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:19 pm

^ Mel might be just a bit off. One thing's for sure, he was well off in his interpretation of the Inquisition:

Unlike the East European victims on this entertaining blurb the real victims were Sefardic with many of my ancestors among them.
Marjorie Taylor Greene and her family watch that part with popcorn as if it were a documentary feel good story.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:39 pm
Punching effectively is a skill few have. Amusing to watch people obviously unskilled go at it. They’re generally always drunk, which adds an added note of risibility.
Ever heard of the "boxers break"? Anyone who has a depressed pinky knuckle does...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:33 pm
I prefer forcing someone to quit after a body shot.

That's the worst!

The old school in me used to say with pride "I've won a fwe and lost a few but no one ever walked away not knowing they were in a dogfight" which now is less pride inducing, but I can't imagine how I'd have felt inside at say 13-25 and take a shot and had to just say forget this I'm done.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:40 pm
Marjorie Taylor Greene and her family watch that part with popcorn as if it were a documentary feel good story.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good one!

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:39 pm
My father was golden gloves champion in his state as a teenager. My uncles were also amateur boxers. Learned a lot about the sweet science growing up. Delivering a punch is a skill.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”