Would clearer rules regarding “trollish” behavior on the Politics sub-forum be conducive to productive discourse?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
JoeMauer89

Re: Would clearer rules regarding “trollish” behavior on the Politics sub-forum be conducive to productive discourse?

Post by JoeMauer89 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:03 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:52 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:57 am I'd be all for getting rid of the Politics section in Fanlax, or moving it all to Hamsterdam.
There's already politics threads on there...but pretty much none of us want to participate with the no rules. We voted with our posts.

A notch more moderation at least has a solid chance of restoring the environment here to one which is more inviting of actual discourse.
I find it particularly interesting that many of the people here are calling for MORE moderation. Especially given the rhetoric these same people were using when this place opened. Lots were cheering about finally being out of the shade of oppressive LP Moderation.

It seems people were full of bullish and want that Mod on the wall. They NEED that Mod on the wall.

:lol:
Great post!

JoeMauer89!
MDlaxfan76

Re: Would clearer rules regarding “trollish” behavior on the Politics sub-forum be conducive to productive discourse?

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:03 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:52 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:57 am I'd be all for getting rid of the Politics section in Fanlax, or moving it all to Hamsterdam.
There's already politics threads on there...but pretty much none of us want to participate with the no rules. We voted with our posts.

A notch more moderation at least has a solid chance of restoring the environment here to one which is more inviting of actual discourse.
I find it particularly interesting that many of the people here are calling for MORE moderation. Especially given the rhetoric these same people were using when this place opened. Lots were cheering about finally being out of the shade of oppressive LP Moderation.

It seems people were full of bullish and want that Mod on the wall. They NEED that Mod on the wall.

:lol:
Kram, were you one of the mods on LP?
I can understand why you (or whoever) would be sore about the desire for a lighter hand as FL was forming if you found that to be personally insulting the good efforts you'd made.

Funny, "on the wall" stuff, actually pretty good analogy...no one is saying we don't need a strong defense, effective military, but the Code Red? Nope. Too far.

Again, I think small steps to warn egregious trollers, then progressive penalties as needed, is the right approach... ease into it.

Contrast that with simply editing or cutting people's posts that weren't 'acceptable' to one of the mods because it talked about a coach...different story.

Of course, that was the founders/owners of LP's prerogative, so the rest of us needed to simply adapt to the system. Might have been frustrating at times, but the fact that there was a place to exchange information and views was quite appreciated by most of us. Certainly by me. As is is this forum.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Fri May 14, 2021 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:01 pm I find the overuse (often incongruous within context of string) of emojis to be some passive aggressive weak a** stuff too myself but that’s just me.
I like emojis. Picture's worth a thousand words. Don't love eye rolls be directed at me, as an emoji or in real life, but... They definitely communicate something.
Last edited by Matnum PI on Fri May 14, 2021 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Yeah but the caps are shouting which if you did in person would be a form of aggression. I applaud that you wouldn't hide behind "anonymous board" stuff but that doesn't make it right. I hold my degenerate upbringing in higher regard than I should which is why my two best friends and I always feel the same way when we go back, which is "man I had more binghamton pride until I got back here...". That is to say I have lived street rules my whole life but it doesn't make it right. I just understand. Still think you are way to myopically focused on one guy for some reason I don't get but that's a A-B conversation and I'm C (eeing my way back out of it).
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:16 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:09 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:01 pm I find the overuse (often incongruous within context of string) of emojis to be some passive aggressive weak a** stuff too myself but that’s just me.
It's not passive aggressive, I wouldn't' t be afraid to tell it like it is right to his face either. That's my point.

JoeMauer89!
I like emojis. Picture's worth a thousand words. Don't love eye rolls be directed at me, as an emoji or in real life, but... They definitely communicate something.
Over or inappropriate use. It's like a bunch of grandparents who got onto Facebook in the last five years and think the kids are still on it.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I agree. Also like the emojis.
Miss the handclap and grandpa emojis in particular!
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

I've tried to draw my line by disagreeing with ideas but not persons. I'll say something's an idiotic idea, but won't call the person an idiot. It bothers me when people here are personally attacked. That may sound trite but it works for me.

There are two exceptions to that rule - public figures, e.g. politicians, and one specific poster here who happens to currently be in the penalty box. As public figures or trolls they have every right to be attacked. All bets are off with them.

I also avoid lumping posters here into groups, particularly when derogatory names are used for those groups, e.g. liberal fools , repukeblicans, etc. I believe those kinds of terms are just used to piss people off.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

oh no brooklyn has never done anything incendiary in his life. just waste a ton of your time to prove it to him if you care enough.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:19 pm Yeah but the caps are shouting which if you did in person would be a form of aggression. I applaud that you wouldn't hide behind "anonymous board" stuff but that doesn't make it right. I hold my degenerate upbringing in higher regard than I should which is why my two best friends and I always feel the same way when we go back, which is "man I had more binghamton pride until I got back here...". That is to say I have lived street rules my whole life but it doesn't make it right. I just understand. Still think you are way to myopically focused on one guy for some reason I don't get but that's a A-B conversation and I'm C (eeing my way back out of it).
That's fair regarding the myopic focus, I do try my best and can ignore pretty much anyone on this site when I want to, but I am admittedly incapable of it with MD. I'm attempting to work on it. There's a lot of his garbage I do ignore, just like I am well aware many ignore me. It's part of life, can't please everyone. All though there are many on this site, who naively believe they can. I did say naively which is ironic, given the age demographic on this site.

JoeMauer89!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:19 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:09 pm
It's not passive aggressive, I wouldn't' t be afraid to tell it like it is right to his face either. That's my point.

JoeMauer89!
Over or inappropriate use. It's like a bunch of grandparents who got onto Facebook in the last five years and think the kids are still on it.
yeah, one emoji or two different ones can convey something...but a string of the same ones expresses something quite different. Maybe not as aggressive as the all caps yelling, but still intended obnoxiously.

As to communicating in person, I do know that if someone was yelling in my face this way they might well find themselves on their butts wondering what happened.
Baducchi

Post by Baducchi »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:23 pm...and one specific poster here who happens to currently be in the penalty box. As public figures or trolls they have every right to be attacked. All bets are off with them...
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

There used to be a lot more of them...i miss them too...the "rolling on the floor laughing" one...Beavis and Butthead...hair on fire...stick in the eye...jaw dropping to floor...can we get some of them back, please. I got a few i'd like to drop on Joe...

Figuratively speaking, of course... ;)

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:29 pmAs to communicating in person, I do know that if someone was yelling in my face this way they might well find themselves on their butts wondering what happened.
No, MD. I don't believe that. Or I don't want to believe that. I want to believe that you're an adult and recognize that getting in a fist fight as an adult is just not OK. I have a neighbor who I would love to pound into the dirt. And i can say with 100% surety that i could. But i don't. Because... I'm an adult. Because my mind controls my emotions and not the other way around. As much as I'm proud of myself for being able to go to an all-you-can-eat buffet and not eat all i can eat (which was not always the case), I pat myself on the back for being able to ride the horse as opposed to having the horse ride me.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:29 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:19 pm Yeah but the caps are shouting which if you did in person would be a form of aggression. I applaud that you wouldn't hide behind "anonymous board" stuff but that doesn't make it right. I hold my degenerate upbringing in higher regard than I should which is why my two best friends and I always feel the same way when we go back, which is "man I had more binghamton pride until I got back here...". That is to say I have lived street rules my whole life but it doesn't make it right. I just understand. Still think you are way to myopically focused on one guy for some reason I don't get but that's a A-B conversation and I'm C (eeing my way back out of it).
That's fair regarding the myopic focus, I do try my best and can ignore pretty much anyone on this site when I want to, but I am admittedly incapable of it with MD. I'm attempting to work on it. There's a lot of his garbage I do ignore, just like I am well aware many ignore me. It's part of life, can't please everyone. All though there are many on this site, who naively believe they can. I did say naively which is ironic, given the age demographic on this site.

JoeMauer89!
Here's an idea Joe.
How about if I address you directly, you tell me whatever you think of my post (within the rules against personal attacks) and why, with whatever logic and facts you think relevant...but if I'm not talking to you, you hadn't been in the conversation at all, you don't enter the conversation with a yelling, insulting, attacking post at me?

Pretty simple really.
Even for someone of your age (sorry, that was just a joke re the 'age demographic' crack ;) ).
Tommy No

Post by Tommy No »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:29 pmThat's fair regarding the myopic focus, I do try my best and can ignore pretty much anyone on this site when I want to, but I am admittedly incapable of it with MD. I'm attempting to work on it...
Why don't you block him in your personal settings so you don't see his posts. Make him a Foe. It's a tab in your personal settings: Friends & Foes.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:28 pm oh no brooklyn has never done anything incendiary in his life. just waste a ton of your time to prove it to him if you care enough.

Wasn't me - it was the Santars. :oops: :oops: :oops:
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Baducchi wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:30 pm
SCLaxAttack wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:23 pm...and one specific poster here who happens to currently be in the penalty box. As public figures or trolls they have every right to be attacked. All bets are off with them...
How come this guy with 12 posts has mastered dropping videos and gifs in and I havent?? Nevermind it's rhetorical I don't want any answers from anyone here...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:53 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:28 pm oh no brooklyn has never done anything incendiary in his life. just waste a ton of your time to prove it to him if you care enough.

Wasn't me - it was the Santars. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Now you sound like some of your enemies.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:38 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:29 pmAs to communicating in person, I do know that if someone was yelling in my face this way they might well find themselves on their butts wondering what happened.
No, MD. I don't believe that. Or I don't want to believe that. I want to believe that you're an adult and recognize that getting in a fist fight as an adult is just not OK. I have a neighbor who I would love to pound into the dirt. And i can say with 100% surety that i could. But i don't. Because... I'm an adult. Because my mind controls my emotions and not the other way around. As much as I'm proud of myself for being able to go to an all-you-can-eat buffet and not eat all i can eat (which was not always the case), I pat myself on the back for being able to ride the horse as opposed to having the horse ride me.
Well sure, which is why I try pretty darn hard not to be in such situations with someone yelling in my face. But the few 'fights' I've been in in my life were all precipitated by this sort of thing. Switch flipped. Much to my own surprise.

I'd like to think, at this point, I'd find a way to defuse the situation. Then again, that's what I've previously thought.

But I'm not a fist fighter. Just an old wrestler.

It had been quite awhile since any sort of physical altercation, but when my brother-in-law went off on my wife quite awfully twice this past year, I stepped into the middle to try and defuse...he took a swing each time and I needed to subdue him...he's a big guy, has about 30 lbs on me, and threw a bunch of punches which connected glancingly, but he went down hard on his butt... and then I tied him up so that he couldn't swing any more...until he lost enthusiasm...lots of bruises to my neck, arms and back, but nothing I couldn't handle. Happened twice. Yeah, this Trump cult stuff is toxic.

Pretty much the same for any other "fights" I've been in, almost always because I was sticking up for someone else getting bullied, got caught in the middle and needed to subdue the other guy. I wouldn't say that I 'won' fights (no one really wins), but never failed to put the other guy down.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:38 pm
You may never want to join me at a chinese buffett. I've even taught my kids to not go after the rice, noodles and other carbs but to focus on vegetables and meats to get your money's worth. I mean I'm more of a lock to doors this fool might put us out of business customer than simply getting good value personally but don't expect that from my kids yet.

Return to “POLITICS”