Denver-Loyola Maryland

D1 Mens Lacrosse
molo

Denver-Loyola Maryland

Post by molo »

The Hounds have played their best lax late in the season. The team with the best coach in the history of college lacrosse has enough talent to get by the visitors, who won't go down easily.
Puck Swami

Re: Denver-Loyola Maryland

Post by Puck Swami »

Expecting a slugfest in Denver. I think having ex-Greyhounds Boland and Deveraux on the roster for Denver might be helpful for the Pioneers in understanding Loyola's personnel, systems and tendencies since the programs haven't played in a while.

These teams have played some really entertaining games against each other over the years. I remember DU last clipping them by a goal 13-12 in Baltimore in 2013, but the most amazing game I remember was the year before in 2012 in the NCAAs. I really remember that fantastic Loyola team knocking a really good Pio team out of the NCAAs in Annapolis in that barnburner q-final game. I think Eric Lusby had five goals that day for Loyola, and DU could not really contain Scott Ratliff (sp) - that long-haired, long stick who seemed to be the straw that strirred the Hounds' drink. And then there was that Hound goalie, Runkel (sp[?), making that amazing save on a point-blank shot by Denver legend Wes Berg with about a minute left in from of about 13,000 people in that amazing setting - the best setting for a lacrosse game I've seen...
Denver14

Post by Denver14 »

And for anyone needing a refresher, check out the goal at 4:24 2012 DU LU...

https://youtu.be/tjOR8O8Mgcg
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... game/57886

Terry Foy (@TerenceFoy)
No. 7 Denver vs. Loyola, 7:30 p.m. Sunday — I think Army-Navy and Hopkins-Maryland are neck-and-neck for the best rivalry in college lacrosse. I think ‘Cuse-UVA is the most exciting series and Duke-Notre Dame is the most meaningful series of the last 10 years. I think Denver-Loyola is the near-rivalry that the sport has missed out on since 2013.

The Pioneers and Greyhounds played six times as members of the ECAC between 2010 and 2013, including three times in 2012. Loyola won all three of those meetings in their national championship season; Denver won the other three. Bill Tierney and Charley Toomey have a lot of respect for one another (as evidenced most recently by two Loyola grads joining the Pios’ squad for their additional year of eligibility). Both teams play different, but attractive styles. I simply wager that if they’d played the last eight years, they’d have produced some instant classics. Add that it’s the eighth matchup of the weekend, played at twilight at Peter Barton, between a team with new life vs. a team that lost its conference championship — it’s got all the makings.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DU-fan wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:31 pm https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... game/57886

Terry Foy (@TerenceFoy)
No. 7 Denver vs. Loyola, 7:30 p.m. Sunday — I think Army-Navy and Hopkins-Maryland are neck-and-neck for the best rivalry in college lacrosse. I think ‘Cuse-UVA is the most exciting series and Duke-Notre Dame is the most meaningful series of the last 10 years. I think Denver-Loyola is the near-rivalry that the sport has missed out on since 2013.

The Pioneers and Greyhounds played six times as members of the ECAC between 2010 and 2013, including three times in 2012. Loyola won all three of those meetings in their national championship season; Denver won the other three. Bill Tierney and Charley Toomey have a lot of respect for one another (as evidenced most recently by two Loyola grads joining the Pios’ squad for their additional year of eligibility). Both teams play different, but attractive styles. I simply wager that if they’d played the last eight years, they’d have produced some instant classics. Add that it’s the eighth matchup of the weekend, played at twilight at Peter Barton, between a team with new life vs. a team that lost its conference championship — it’s got all the makings.
agree with most other than duke-nd.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:03 pm
DU-fan wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:31 pm https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... game/57886

Terry Foy (@TerenceFoy)

agree with most other than duke-nd.
Yeah, they obviously played some big games in the early part of the decade with the 2010 and 2014 title games; but the # of big games they’ve played against each other since joining the league has been rather few I’d say. Between 2015 and 2018 almost none. 2019 had the great QF at least. Felt like it petered out a bit.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

https://www.relaxlacrosseblog.com/post/ ... ament-game

Chris Jastrzembski's pre-game analysis

Loyola v #7 Denver (Sunday, 7:30 PM)

#7 Denver: Bill Tierney's western group lost to three teams in 2021: Duke, North Carolina, and Georgetown. All of them are top five seeds so they're not bad losses. But the team they just lost to in the Big East Championship also lost to Loyola recently, and the Greyhounds have been gaining momentum. The Greyhound defense is 7th in the country in scoring defense at 9.57 goals per game. The Pioneer attack of Ethan Walker, Jackson Morrill, and Alex Simmons, along with Jack Hannah at midfield, are great. Lucas Cotler has been consistent for the most part as well. But then the depth goes downhill. Ted Sullivan didn't record a point against Georgetown and had a point in each of his last four games prior. The secondary scoring is still to be found, Ellis Geis has been the most productive recently. Guys like Sam Dwinell, Zach Hutchko, Schuyler Blair, and Riley Curtis have to be consistent in order to give Denver a chance moving forward, especially Sunday night.

Loyola: From out of the bubble to in the NCAA Tournament in a matter of 11 days. Even without a Patriot League Championship game played, what a journey it's been for Loyola. They're lucky to be playing the last game of the first round in Denver, more time to get themselves acclimated to the high altitude. Similar to Denver, Loyola's midfield depth has some issues. Adam Poitras has found his groove after a slow start, he has 12 points in his last five games. Riley Seay has a seven-game point streak, but most of those performances weren't multi-point efforts. The absence of Joey Kamish has hurt the Greyhound offense a bit as well. Yet the defense has held opposing offenses in check. Loyola's rope unit of LSM Ryan McNulty and SSDMs Matt Higgins and Payton Rezanka could be pivotal in this first round finale.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Loyola Greyhounds at Denver Pioneers
Sunday, May 16, 2021 | 5:30 p.m. (MDT)
Denver, Colo. | Peter Barton Lacrosse Stadium | ESPNU

Quick Hits About The ’Hounds

Loyola University Maryland makes its 27th all-time NCAA Championships appearance, 25th at the NCAA Division I level, on Sunday, May 16, when it plays at the University of Denver in a 7:30 p.m. (Eastern)/5:30 p.m. (Mountain) game that will air live on ESPNU.

Kevin Lindley now has three of the top-25 season goal totals in school history: 37 in 2018, 60 in 2019, 38 in 2021.

Dating back to March 23, 2016, Loyola is averaging 12.66 goals over its last 90 games. It has scored less than 10 only 14 times in that span (15.6 percent).

Loyola is ranked in the top-10 nationally in three statistical categories: clearing percentage (4th, .902), turnovers per game (7th, 14.21) and scoring defense (8th, 9.57).

Bailey Savio set Loyola records with 246 faceoff wins, 471 attempts and 141 ground balls during his 2019 season. In the truncated 2020 season, he was winning faceoffs at an even higher pace. In six games, he had won 90 of 131 (.687) restarts and picked up 62 ground balls to lead the Patriot League in both. This season, Savio is 163 of 294 (.554) with 94 ground balls. He has 77 ground balls in the last nine games (8.6 per game).

Last Time Out

Peter Swindell scored twice during a 4-0 Loyola run, and the Greyhounds pulled away for an 11-10 victory over Army West Point on Friday night in the Patriot League Semifinals at the Ulrich Sports Complex.

Loyola had an extra-man possession late in the third quarter, and Swindell found himself with time and room on the top-right of the box, and he stepped into a high-to-high shot that found netting to tie the game at 7-7 with 53 ticks left in the frame.

Kevin Lindley then dodged a pole from ‘X’ and fed Aidan Olmstead who scored from left point with 11:11 on the fourth-quarter clock to put the Greyhounds in front. Evan James added an unassisted tally 57 seconds later, and the Greyhounds had the first two-goal lead either team had enjoyed in the game. Swindell made it 10-7 Loyola with 7:37 to go in regulation, running out of the box and catching an Adam Poitras feed on the run to score his second of the game.

Loyola won despite a 43-34 shot advantage for the Black Knights. Shafer made 12 saves, six in each half for the Greyhounds. Olmstead, Swindell and Seay each had two goals for the Greyhounds.

In The Polls

Loyola is ranked 12th in both the USILA coaches poll and the Inside Lacrosse rankings entering Tuesday’s game.

Denver is seventh in both versions.

Series History

Loyola and Denver renew a series that flourished into one of the best in college lacrosse last decade when the teams met six times from 2010-2013.

The teams have evenly split all six of the previous meetings with the Pioneers taking the last game, 13-12, on April 13, 2013, in Baltimore.

The former ECAC Lacrosse League foes first met in 2010, the Pioneers’ first year in the conference. Denver hosted the Greyhounds at then-Invesco Field and posted a 12-4 victory on May 2, 2010, and the Pioneers won, 12-8, the following season in Baltimore.

The series took a turn toward the dramatic during 2012 when Denver hosted the Greyhounds at Peter Barton Stadium on April 14 with Loyola undefeated at 11-0 and ranked No. 4 in the nation and Denver checking in at No. 8. Loyola scored five of the game’s last six goals to win that meeting, 12-8, and reach the No. 1 ranking nationally for the first time that season.

Denver again hosted Loyola on May 2 in the semifinals of the ECAC Lacrosse League Championships, and the Pioneers rallied with seven-straight goals in the fourth quarter to tie the game and force overtime. Scott Ratliff picked up the ground ball on the opening faceoff of extra time, ran into the box and scored on a high-to-low shot to give the Greyhounds a 14-13 win.

May brought another meeting between the teams when they had a neutral-site tilt on the month’s 19th day in the NCAA Quarterfinals. In that game at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis, Maryland, Eric Lusby scored five goals, and J.P. Dalton went 17 of 22 on faceoffs as Loyola won 10-9 to go on to the semifinal round en route to the school’s first-ever NCAA title.

You Look Familiar

Two members of Pioneers squad both received their Loyola degrees as members of the Greyhounds’ Class of 2020. Cole Boland was a short-stick defensive midfielder for the Greyhounds, and Logan Devereaux played offensively; both are pursuing Master’s degrees at Denver.

In 32 career games at Loyola, Boland had an assist, 14 ground balls and seven caused turnovers. Devereaux also played in 32, scoring eight goals and assisting on six.

Watch The Action

Sunday’s NCAA Championships First Round game will air live, nationally, on ESPNU with Mike Monaco and Matt Ward providing the call.

NCAA Championships History

Loyola is making its 27th all-time appearance in the NCAA Championships, 25th in Division I history (since 1982). The Greyhounds are 15-25 all-time in the tournament, 15-23 at the Division I level. This is Loyola’s eight trip to the NCAA Championships in the last nine chances and 11th in Charley Toomey’s 16 seasons as head coach.

The Greyhounds are 4-9 in quarterfinal games.

Loyola won its first NCAA Division I Championship, in any sport, in 2012, when they defeated Maryland, 9-3, on Memorial Day. The win completed an 18-1 season for the Greyhounds in which they tied the NCAA Division I record for wins in a season, matching the 18-2 Duke team from 2008. Loyola entered the tournament as the No. 1 seed and defeated Canisius, Denver and Notre Dame en route to the title game.

Loyola has never played a NCAA Championships game west of Columbus, Ohio.

Charley Toomey is 8-9 as a head coach in the NCAA Championships. This season is Toomey’s 20th in the NCAA Championships: 11 as a head coach, six as an assistant, three as player.

In The NCAAs

Several players on the Greyhounds’ roster have significant NCAA experience, following Loyola’s 2018 and 2019 season in which it reached the quarterfinal round.

In four games, Ryan McNulty has 13 ground balls, six caused turnovers and a goal. John Raily and Cam Wyers both have made two starts on defense in the tournament; Railey has six ground balls and a caused turnovers, while Wyers has four and two.

Bailey Savio has a .560 faceoff percentage in four games, Aidan Olmstead has nine points on four goals and five assists, and Kevin Lindley has scored seven goals.

Standing On Top

Kevin Lindley dodged from the top of the box, split a double and scored with 3:31 left in the first half of the 2021 Patriot League Quarterfinal against Navy, setting a school record in the process. His goal pushed him past the career total of Gary Hanley who scored 151 goals for 1978-81 and held the career goals scored record for 40 years.

Lindley’s 154 goals rank third in Patriot League history behind Colgate’s Peter Baum (164, 2010-13) and Army West Point’s Garrett Thul (163, 2010-13).

Kevin Lindley became the 11th player in program history to reach 100 goals in a career when he scored his first goal on February 15, 2020 against Johns Hopkins.

Lindley got to the 100-goal plateau in just his 36th career game, the fastest in Loyola history after Gary Hanley reached the plateau in his 39th career game (1980). Hanley got to his total of 151 goals in 57 career games, while Lindley took 52 to hit that mark.

Lindley finished his freshman season in 2018 with 37 goals, had a school-record 60 as a sophomore in 2019, 19 in the truncated 2020 campaign and 37 in 13 games this season.

Lindley has scored three or more goals in 28 of his 52 career games and has hat tricks or better in nine of 13 this year.

All-League Honors

Eight Loyola players were named to the All-Patriot League teams that were released on May 4, the most for a Greyhounds team since the program joined the conference in 2014.

Matt Higgins (SSDM), Kevin Lindley (A), Ryan McNulty (LSM), Aidan Olmstead (A), Peter Swindell (M) and Cam Wyers (D) were named to the first team, while Evan James (M) and Bailey Savio (FO) earned second-team recognition.

Two days later, Olmstead was named the Patriot League Scholar-Athlete of the Year, and he was joined on the Academic All-Patriot League Team by Lindley and Swindell.

Another Ascending The Leaderboard

Bailey Savio set the Loyola career record for ground balls in its Patriot League Semifinal win over Army West Point as he picked up six to boost his career total to 341, one more than his older brother Graham had from 2014-17.

The younger Savio is fifth all-time in the Patriot League in the category behind Lehigh’s Conor Gaffney (391, 2017-present), Colgate’s Peter Strid (384, 1993-96), Navy’s Brady Dove (348, 2014-17) and Graham Savio.

With 595, Bailey Savio is second all-time at Loyola in faceoffs won behind his brother’s 709. He is fifth in Patriot League history behind Graham, Gaffney (669), Colgate’s Chris Eck’s 664 and Dove (637).

Since the start of his sophomore season in 2018 – 36 games, Savio has picked up 297 ground balls, an average of 8.25 per game.

He is No. 7 on the active career leader in ground balls in NCAA Division I and is first among players in their fourth year of collegiate eligibility.

Since returning from an early-season injury, Savio is 138-234 (.589) in last 10 games with 8.8 GBs per game during that stretch.

Six Degrees Down

Five members of the Class of 2020 returned for a fifth-year of eligibility after the shortened season a year ago. All five earned their bachelor’s degrees in May 2020 and are enrolled in graduate programs at Loyola.

Riley Cox and Ryan McNulty both earned bachelor of arts in communication while Peter Swindell and Matt Higgins were finance majors and John Railey earned a degree in biology. Cox, McNulty and Railey are all working on their Master’s of emerging media degrees, while Higgins and Swindell are pursuing M.B.A.

Kyle LeBlanc, a member of the Class of 2021, finished his bachelor of science in applied mathematics in just three-and-a-half years, graduating in December 2020, and he is now studying for his master’s of data science.

Aidan Is All Around

Aidan Olmstead posted two 40-plus point seasons in 2018 and 2019, and he then led the Greyhounds in points with 22 during the shortened 2020 season. This season, he’s over the 50-point mark for the first time with 26 goals and 25 assists for 51 points. In 51 career games, Olmstead has scored 159 points with 81 goals and 78 assists.

After being hampered by an injury early in 2019, Olmstead posted 18 goals and 13 assists in the Greyhounds’ last nine games, bringing his season totals to 23 and 21.

In 2018, Olmstead finished his freshman season with 19 goals and 21 assists in 17 games.

The native of Painted Post, New York, now has 21 games with two or more assists, 23 with multiple goals and nine career hat tricks. Among those games, he has 36 outings with three or more points, 13 of those coming against Patriot League opponents.

He is now seventh all-time at Loyola with 78 assists and ninth with 159 points.

Olmstead was named the Patriot League Scholar-Athlete of the Year in 2021, and he is not the only member of his family within the Loyola athletic department. His twin sisters, Riley and Logan are sophomores on the Loyola women’s lacrosse team.

Between The Lines

Ryan McNulty has been key to the Greyhounds’ defense and transition game since joining the program in 2017, earning his All-America honors (USILA honorable mention) in 2020 and 2021 (Inside Lacrosse Second Team) as a long-stick midfielder. Since the start of 2019, he has been the team’s leader (among non-faceoff players) in 130 ground balls while leading Loyola with 54 caused turnovers.

Over his career, he has amassed 69 caused turnovers and 187 ground balls while scoring 12 goals to go with 12 assists.

He has nine points in the Greyhounds’ last 11 games, scoring a goal to go with an assist at Lehigh before tallying a highlight-reel goal effort against Lafayette. McNulty then tied his career-high with two assists against Bucknell. He had his third multi-point game of the season on April 3 at Navy with a goal and an assist.

McNulty graduated from Loyola in 2020 and entering the 2021 season has two more years of eligibility remaining on the field. He saw only two games as freshman before receiving a medical hardship waiver.

New Position, No Problem

Evan James shifted to attack to make the first start there of his collegiate career on February 20 against Virginia, and the sophomore finished with three goals and an assist. The Ohio native needed just six shots for his first collegiate hat trick.

He followed that performance with a five-goal, six-point game against Utah, a contest in which he scored on all but one of his shots. He matched the six points with four goals and two assists versus Lafayette. After 13 games, he is tied for second on the team with 26 goals and third with 36 points.

Against Richmond, James made his first start, this coming in the midfield where he played in all six games during 2020, posting three goals and five ground balls.

As a freshman during the abbreviated 2020 season, James played in all six games and finished with three goals. He did not score in the first three games before tallying a pair of extra-man tallies on February 26 against Towson. He followed with another man-up goal versus Duke.

Little Bit Of Everything

Peter Swindell has been a utility knife of sorts for the Greyhounds during his career, playing on offensive midfield, running on the wings of faceoffs and taking shifts as a defensive midfielder.

He opened his 2020 season with three points against defending national champion Virginia, scoring a goal and posting two assists. In just six games, he set career-highs with nine goals and 16 points.

His previous career-best was 15 points in 2019 when he scored seven times while assisting on eight goals. He also posted a career-best 42 ground balls.

Swindell needed just six games in 2021 to match that career-high number of 16 points, and through 14 games this season, Swindell is second on the team with 13 assists and fourth in both goals (18) and points (31). His three goals against Lafayette marked his first career hat trick, and he followed that with career-highs of four goals and five points against Bucknell before posting two goals and two assists against Georgetown. He also leads the team with six man-up goals this year, good for ninth in NCAA Division I.

Swindell has played in 66 career games and has 44 goals, 29 assists and 78 ground balls.

Takeaways

Loyola is the only team in NCAA Division I with five players who have totaled 10 or more caused turnovers this season. Matt Hughes leads the Greyhounds with 20, Cam Wyers has 18, Ryan McNulty 18, Matt Higgins 14 and Payton Rezanka 13.

Teacher of Tewaaratons

Loyola assistant coach Marc Van Arsdale has coached more Tewaaraton Award winners than anyone else. In addition to Pat Spencer in 2019, three of Van Arsdale’s players at the University of Virginia – Chris Rotelli (2003), Matt Ward (2006) and Steele Stanwick (2011) – have earned the award as the sport’s top player.

Toomey’s Team

Charley Toomey is in his 16th year as the head coach at Loyola and his 25th as a member of the Greyhounds’ coaching staff. Overall, he is in his 29th year on the Evergreen campus, including his four seasons as a student-athlete from 1986-90.

Against Lafayette on February 29, 2020, Toomey won his 150th career game.

Toomey has directed the Greyhounds to 104 wins, an average of 12.6 per season (not including the shortened 2020 season or this year) since 2012, and has a 159-76 career record. Early in the 2016 season, Toomey became the second coach in program history to reach and cross the 100-win plateau; he stands second on the program’s all-time wins chart behind his college coach, Dave Cottle (181-70, 1983-2001).

Toomey’s .677 winning percentage is fourth amongst active NCAA Division I head coaches with 10 or more seasons coaching at the level.

As a head coach, Toomey has coached 38 USILA All-Americans, 85 all-conference selections, 21 conference positional or players or rookies of the year, four Tewaaraton Award finalists and 18 USILA Scholar All-Americans.

In January 2019, Toomey was named to the coaching staff of the U.S. Men’s National Team as an assistant coach. He will serve with Team USA in preparation for, and competition in, the 2022 World Championships in British Columbia. He was also enshrined in the USLacrosse Chesapeake Chapter Hall of Fame in January 2019 for his accomplishments as a player and a coach.

Get To Ten

Since Charley Toomey became head coach at Loyola in 2006, the Greyhounds have scored 10 or more goals on 148 occasions; Loyola has won 81.1 percent of those games (120-28).
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Glad we have Mike Monaco and Matt Ward providing the call.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

If DU can win some dodging match-ups, they'll probably be fine in this game. That's always the key for DU...can't they beat defenders, draw slides, and find the open shooters. When they struggle on offense, it's because they can't win the match-up.

Having only seen Loyola play a couple of halves of games (when they weren't really playing all that well), I don't have a good sense of their defense. I just know that McNulty is one of my favorite players in the game. Watching him vs Hannah will be a lot of fun.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Wheels wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:27 am If DU can win some dodging match-ups, they'll probably be fine in this game. That's always the key for DU...can't they beat defenders, draw slides, and find the open shooters. When they struggle on offense, it's because they can't win the match-up.

Having only seen Loyola play a couple of halves of games (when they weren't really playing all that well), I don't have a good sense of their defense. I just know that McNulty is one of my favorite players in the game. Watching him vs Hannah will be a lot of fun.
Agreed. The most important stat for Denver is Assists. Denver needs to draw slides and move the ball. Every game, except Villanova, that Denver has lost they have have had 6 or less assists. Note against Villanova on 4/28, Thompson had 20 saves. Against Georgetown on 4/17, Thompson had an assist so there were only 5 on the offensive side of the field.

2/27/21 Providence W 23-10 - 18 Assists
3/27/21 at Providence W 19-11 - 14 Assists
03/06/21 at St. John's W 20-6 - 13 Assists
2/13/21 at Air Force W 15-6 - 12 Assists
4/24/21 St. John's W 19-11 - 11 Assists
05/06/21 at Providence W 14-5 - 10 Assists
04/03/21 Marquette W 16-6 - 9 Assists
4/10/21 Villanova W 17-10 - 9 Assists
3/16/21 Georgetown W 13-7 - 8 Assists
1/30/21 Utah W 9-8 - 6 Assists
2/20/21 at Marquette W 10-9 - 6 Assists
4/17/21 at Georgetown L 10-11 - 6 Assists
4/28/21 at Villanova W 11-10 - 6 Assists
02/05/21 at Duke University L 10-12 - 5 Assists
02/07/21 at North Carolina L 13-24 - 4 Assists
05/08/21 vs Georgetown L 9-10 - 4 Assists
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Inside lacrosse upset comments

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ert-/57904

Dan Kaplan (@Dkaplan46)
Denver — Loyola has one of the best coaching staffs in the country in Charley Toomey, Matt Dwan, and Marc Van Arsdale. With that in mind it is no surprise that this team would be stringing together their best brand of lacrosse late in the season, especially when you consider the limitations that COVID had on offseason preparation. Leading up to an unfortunate cancellation of the Patriot league championship due to COVID test within the Loyola camp, the Greyhounds had strung together a string of four wins against three ranked opponents including a win over the Big East champion Georgetown. This win streak comes on the heels of back-to-back losses to Army and Navy, losses in that manner force you to reevaluate and you either come back stronger or die trying to adjust, Loyola came back stronger.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

As a die-hard Loyola fan, I think its easy to say Loyola is the hottest team right now based on their record.

But if you watch the games- They caught a GT team who was napping, and didn't want to be there. And if there was 60 seconds more in the Army game, Loyola could have lost that too. Lehigh embarrassed Loyola earlier in the season, and if they weren't fortunate to get a false positive, probably would have been beaten the Hounds again.
Not much has changed from the Loyola team that stunk it up to start the season: They still cant draw a slide on offense, Their defense is overrated, their faceoffs are mediocre, and their goalie has a sore arm from turning and raking so much.
I love my hounds, but Loyola is just plain lucky to be in the tourney.
I think Denver wins relatively easily. At least by 5-6.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Wheels wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:27 am If DU can win some dodging match-ups, they'll probably be fine in this game. That's always the key for DU...can't they beat defenders, draw slides, and find the open shooters. When they struggle on offense, it's because they can't win the match-up.

Wow, if you were to replace "DU" in the first paragraph above with "Loyola" it would still be 100% accurate. It appears the two squads are mirror images of each other.

Loyola's strength, by far, is its defense. The defense has played well all season, and kept them in games when the offense struggled. Meanwhile, the offense has been up and down, and very hard to predict. The recent three-game run against Georgetown, Navy, and Army is the best the offense has played all season, but it's hard to pinpoint why. Injuries have been a big problem this season, so while a couple starters are still out, it seems that finally having a stable lineup has helped.

Denver is the clear favorite in this match-up, but I'm hoping to see an entertaining and competitive game like the ones we saw a decade ago. This game has the potential to be an epic one.

(BTW, as a Loyola fan, it's great to see the perspective from the knowledgeable Denver fans here.)
Denver14

Post by Denver14 »

As a DU fan, just hoping Loyola did not find a way to get S. Ratcliff a 5th season. :D
Denver14

Post by Denver14 »

Agreed. The most important stat for Denver is Assists. Denver needs to draw slides and move the ball. Every game, except Villanova, that Denver has lost they have have had 6 or less assists. Note against Villanova on 4/28, Thompson had 20 saves. Against Georgetown on 4/17, Thompson had an assist so there were only 5 on the offensive side of the field.

2/27/21 Providence W 23-10 - 18 Assists
3/27/21 at Providence W 19-11 - 14 Assists
03/06/21 at St. John's W 20-6 - 13 Assists
2/13/21 at Air Force W 15-6 - 12 Assists
4/24/21 St. John's W 19-11 - 11 Assists
05/06/21 at Providence W 14-5 - 10 Assists
04/03/21 Marquette W 16-6 - 9 Assists
4/10/21 Villanova W 17-10 - 9 Assists
3/16/21 Georgetown W 13-7 - 8 Assists
1/30/21 Utah W 9-8 - 6 Assists
2/20/21 at Marquette W 10-9 - 6 Assists
4/17/21 at Georgetown L 10-11 - 6 Assists
4/28/21 at Villanova W 11-10 - 6 Assists
02/05/21 at Duke University L 10-12 - 5 Assists
02/07/21 at North Carolina L 13-24 - 4 Assists
05/08/21 vs Georgetown L 9-10 - 4 Assists
I think it is also telling to look at the percentage of goals that are assisted. 30% in the UNC drubbing, 45% in the BE loss to G town, versus 78% in the big win over PC...
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Denver14 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:00 pm As a DU fan, just hoping Loyola did not find a way to get S. Ratcliff a 5th season. :D
:D

I feel the same way about Cam Flint. He had 4 against us, including the OT winner in that 2013 contest.
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

This Pio fan is still having bad Ratcliff dreams many years later. That guy was a marauder...
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

How big of an advantage is the altitude?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Puck Swami wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:03 pm This Pio fan is still having bad Ratcliff dreams many years later. That guy was a marauder...
I have images of Swindell and Wigley getting shots off like Lusby.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”