Would clearer rules regarding “trollish” behavior on the Politics sub-forum be conducive to productive discourse?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: Would clearer rules regarding “trollish” behavior on the Politics sub-forum be conducive to productive discourse?

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:58 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:46 am
DMac wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:34 am It was about the town going to schidt, nothing more. If the video had ended after the congregation had sung their catchy little hymn it would have been fine with me.
I'm not looking for anyone's help, I can leave the party if I don't like it. Their house, their party, the can run it whatever way they want. Will ask again, how many people are sticking around the party? Lot of empty hangers in that coat room that used to have coats on 'em. Jus' sayin'.
At least those regularly participating in these particular discussion threads...And that's the point.

How can the "party" be improved?
Or will the jerks cause folks who want to have a good time without getting puked on decide to leave?

Again, we asked for a light moderation hand...but for folks to be respectful in their discourse, else take it to Hamsterdam which has virtually no rules.

And lo and behold, Hamsterdam gets almost no usage...but over time the discourse on this part of the site has become increasingly more rancorous and less inviting to those who don't want to get puked on. So, it seems to need some adjustment.

If that occurs, and works, hopefully the Admin will be able to reach out to those who had departed and invite them to participate again.
Pretty interesting, MDlax, yup next to no activity at Hamsterdam. Now that it's been mentioned a few times, I think it's probably right that the Trump effect can be seen here. There is little to no tolerance for one's opinion when it's not in line with another's and it very quickly goes the childish, name calling, rudeness that Trump made the norm. You know as well as I do there used to be interesting discussions despite differences in the past and there was a damn good group of people who hung around these parts. Yes, when it got a little out of hand the person whose name can't even be mentioned here would do what he thought needed to be done to clean the show up a bit and some didn't take too kindly to that. This isn't a matter of admin keeping the place respectable though, that's up to the posters. Again, you know the tone here is nothing like it was in the past. Yes, I can fly off the handle and be an aszwhole, but more often than not I can also come back and be respectful and continue on with a sense of decency with the person I had a disagreement with. Now the continuation of name calling and just beating one another up is the norm. The number of participants here at the Water Cooler speaks for itself. HooDat, The Chairman, a fan, and a boatload of other good contributors are still around but they don't come here to play anymore. I don't wonder why they don't.
Agreed, good contributors, missed...again, maybe there's a way to invite them back in if things get cleaned up. Hopefully the Admin has their registered email addresses...

Forgive the metaphor, but whether being puked on directly or just having to navigate puddles of puke, very few sober folks actually want to be at a pukefest. And they sure don't want to bring their kids, spouses, etc...

We all pop off at times; I agree that the key is the ability to calm down, say you're sorry if you went out of line, admit you're wrong if there's a convincing piece of logic or fact, etc...not the entrenched warfare that give some their jollies.

I count myself as one who didn't like some of the LP moderation decisions that seemed to favor, overly IMO, the 'reputations' of coaches, and certain ones more so than others...felt like favoritism was the rule, not consistency...it seemed to me that exchange of views and first hand info when had, regarding coaches, particularly how they handled the players...was of service to the community and shouldn't be squashed because the mod felt differently. But that was my only significant objection to active moderation.

Anyway, I'm in favor of our host Admin easing into penalizing egregious, repetitive behavior that contributes to toxicity rather than respectful conversation...I want to hear opposing views, I just don't want to get puked on or have to navigate through puddles of puke...
ardilla secreta

Re: Would clearer rules regarding “trollish” behavior on the Politics sub-forum be conducive to productive discourse?

Post by ardilla secreta »

DMac wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:58 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:46 am
DMac wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:34 am It was about the town going to schidt, nothing more. If the video had ended after the congregation had sung their catchy little hymn it would have been fine with me.
I'm not looking for anyone's help, I can leave the party if I don't like it. Their house, their party, the can run it whatever way they want. Will ask again, how many people are sticking around the party? Lot of empty hangers in that coat room that used to have coats on 'em. Jus' sayin'.
At least those regularly participating in these particular discussion threads...And that's the point.

How can the "party" be improved?
Or will the jerks cause folks who want to have a good time without getting puked on decide to leave?

Again, we asked for a light moderation hand...but for folks to be respectful in their discourse, else take it to Hamsterdam which has virtually no rules.

And lo and behold, Hamsterdam gets almost no usage...but over time the discourse on this part of the site has become increasingly more rancorous and less inviting to those who don't want to get puked on. So, it seems to need some adjustment.

If that occurs, and works, hopefully the Admin will be able to reach out to those who had departed and invite them to participate again.
Pretty interesting, MDlax, yup next to no activity at Hamsterdam. Now that it's been mentioned a few times, I think it's probably right that the Trump effect can be seen here. There is little to no tolerance for one's opinion when it's not in line with another's and it very quickly goes the childish, name calling, rudeness that Trump made the norm. You know as well as I do there used to be interesting discussions despite differences in the past and there was a damn good group of people who hung around these parts. Yes, when it got a little out of hand the person whose name can't even be mentioned here would do what he thought needed to be done to clean the show up a bit and some didn't take too kindly to that. This isn't a matter of admin keeping the place respectable though, that's up to the posters. Again, you know the tone here is nothing like it was in the past. Yes, I can fly off the handle and be an aszwhole, but more often than not I can also come back and be respectful and continue on with a sense of decency with the person I had a disagreement with. Now the continuation of name calling and just beating one another up is the norm. The number of participants here at the Water Cooler speaks for itself. HooDat, The Chairman, a fan, and a boatload of other good contributors are still around but they don't come here to play anymore. I don't wonder why they don't.
In addition, it seems no female seems to show any interest in chiming in. Would be nice to get a perspective from half the population instead of just boys town.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

ardilla secreta wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:45 pmIn addition, it seems no female seems to show any interest in chiming in. Would be nice to get a perspective from half the population instead of just boys town.
There are women within our forum and when I type a post, i'll type she or her about them and... I back peddle and re-type the post because I don't want to out them as women. I don't like it but... I'm confident that at least some people will treat them differently or worse because they're women and I don't want to be responsible for that.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:58 amRight now, we have posters dropping out, whether already or recently giving notice that they intend to do so...most of those have been active, long time contributors, typically both from LP days and FL, and they include both left and right leaning posters, from ggait and kismet to Salty. Others dropped earlier. These folks have contributed heavily to the lax side of the forum as well as the politics side, so IMO it'd be a darn shame to lose them and instead devolve into juvenile trolling posts and angry retorts.
FTR -- I haven't dropped out. Just not posting or responding as much. I'm grateful for this forum & support those who provide it, no matter how they choose to administer or moderate it. I also heard from P33 & Trinity recently. They are doing well. I told them they are missed here.

...& if you think Blazing Saddles is racist, you really don't get it.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:26 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:58 amRight now, we have posters dropping out, whether already or recently giving notice that they intend to do so...most of those have been active, long time contributors, typically both from LP days and FL, and they include both left and right leaning posters, from ggait and kismet to Salty. Others dropped earlier. These folks have contributed heavily to the lax side of the forum as well as the politics side, so IMO it'd be a darn shame to lose them and instead devolve into juvenile trolling posts and angry retorts.
FTR -- I haven't dropped out. Just not posting or responding as much. I'm grateful for this forum & support those who provide it, no matter how they choose to administer or moderate it. I also heard from P33 & Trinity recently. They are doing well. I told them they are missed here.

...& if you think Blazing Saddles is racist, you really don't get it.
You probably weren't referring to me on the last comment; agreed.

Good to hear that you're sticking; there was certainly a concern that you might not.

Hopefully ggait and kismet will as well, and hopefully if the forum can get to be less rancorous and more respectful (which doesn't mean not challenging), some of those who have left will rejoin the back and forth.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

She got tired of us forum Progs owned the Cons... :D ;)

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Apropos of Matnum's post above... LP icon One L Hilary was a guy...i corresponded with him directly a few times...a resident grammarian we have missed here in the New World of FL...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:51 amYou probably weren't referring to me on the last comment; agreed.
I assume he's referring to TypicalLD's comment that using a film clip where the town's people are prodding the mayor to keep the black sheriff out of their town may not be the best clip for pro-Trumpers to use when pleading their case for being treated unfairly within the forum. Something like this. Of course Blazing Saddles isn't racist. It's satire. It's making fun of racism. But taken put of context, not a great look for a Trumper or Conservative or whatever.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

dislaxxic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:54 am Apropos of Matnum's post above... LP icon One L Hilary was a guy...i corresponded with him directly a few times...a resident grammarian we have missed here in the New World of FL...
Lots of people didn't make it over. One who was already diminishing his time on the forum while at LP who didn't make it here was... I can't remember his name. His profile picture was of a dude in an orange and blue (very SU-ish) zoot suit. What was his name? Funny guy.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:03 amLots of people didn't make it over. One who was already diminishing his time on the forum while at LP who didn't make it here was... I can't remember his name. His profile picture was of a dude in an orange and blue (very SU-ish) zoot suit. What was his name? Funny guy.
Cliverman? Is that right?
Caddy Day
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:59 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:51 amYou probably weren't referring to me on the last comment; agreed.
I assume he's referring to TypicalLD's comment that using a film clip where the town's people are prodding the mayor to keep the black sheriff out of their town may not be the best clip for pro-Trumpers to use when pleading their case for being treated unfairly within the forum. Something like this. Of course Blazing Saddles isn't racist. It's satire. It's making fun of racism. But taken put of context, not a great look for a Trumper or Conservative or whatever.
tld would not post that.

and yeah, you'd have to take it out of context to push that beyond a jab.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:45 am Why ever happened to LadyLaker?
Very close friend of mine, married to one of my oldest and best friends. Very, very funny gal, acerbic wit, and extremely knowledgeable about refereeing the women's game. Pretty darn knowledgeable about local MIAA boys schools as well, given long stint at BL. Good person. Two great daughters.

Terrific contributor on LP, especially on lax topics.

However...her other social media world became full on deep Trumpist...way, way down the rathole of Trumpism. Angry stuff as well as humor. I tried to engage respectfully early days...no possibility of return, so now avoid.

IMO, this Trump cult social media thing has had rather devastating effects.
Tommy No

Post by Tommy No »

wgdsr wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:51 amtld would not post that.
Yes. It was farfromGeneva. viewtopic.php?p=260063#p260063
Tommy No

Post by Tommy No »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:57 am
Very close friend of mine, married to one of my oldest and best friends. Very, very funny gal, acerbic wit, and extremely knowledgeable about refereeing the women's game. Pretty darn knowledgeable about local MIAA boys schools as well, given long stint at BL. Good person. Two great daughters.

However...her other social media world became full on deep Trumpist...way, way down the rathole of Trumpism. Angry stuff as well as humor. I tried to engage respectfully early days...no possibility of return, so now avoid.

Wow. That's awful. Just awful. I'm sorry...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:51 am
tld would not post that.

You're right, TLD wouldn't have used that clip to make the intended point.

TLD simply pointed out to the poster who did, certainly conservative leaning, that in the clip "the is town is going to sh-t" to emphasize a point, to be funny I'm sure, the alignment of the parties was wrong, ironically.

The poster swiftly said that he hadn't intended the additional implication, as I think TLD already knew. It was of no moment.

I don't think anyone on here (sure hope not!) misunderstands the point of Blazing Saddles overall.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:57 amIMO, this Trump cult social media thing has had rather devastating effects.
It's a focus group of one but that says worlds to me. I'm not suggesting anything in what i'm about to say, I'm just saying a thought, and... if, literally and metaphorically, we didn't have a Politics Forum, if people avoided political discussions, maybe, Lady Laker and you would still be friends. Maybe some of the people we've grown apart from and have grown apart from us would still be closer, literally and metaphorically, would still be at FanLax. Again, I'm not suggesting anything. Personally, I like knowing where people stand with more divisive issues, especially Trump-like stuff. With this said...
Caddy Day
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Tommy No wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:02 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:57 am

Wow. That's awful. Just awful. I'm sorry...
I still consider her a good person and a good friend, who'd be there in a crisis...not sure she'd say the same about me these days...this stuff is so toxic.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:06 am
wgdsr wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:51 am
tld would not post that.

You're right, TLD wouldn't have used that clip to make the intended point.

TLD simply pointed out to the poster who did, certainly conservative leaning, that in the clip "the is town is going to sh-t" to emphasize a point, to be funny I'm sure, the alignment of the parties was wrong, ironically.

The poster swiftly said that he hadn't intended the additional implication, as I think TLD already knew. It was of no moment.

I don't think anyone on here (sure hope not!) misunderstands the point of Blazing Saddles overall.
no. tld would not have commented on the clip that way. imo. could be wrong.

but he wasn't involved at all.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Tommy No wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:58 am
wgdsr wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:51 amtld would not post that.
Yes. It was farfromGeneva. viewtopic.php?p=260063#p260063
My mistake.
Caddy Day

Return to “POLITICS”