Israel and West Bank Settlements

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
PizzaSnake

Re: Israel and Zionism

Post by PizzaSnake »

jhu72 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:00 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:38 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:20 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:07 pmIn my opinion, yes.
I've learned not to try to separate fighting dogs. You get bit for your efforts.
Sorry for the mixed idioms. But you probably understand what I’m saying.
2 maddogs i hear. hamas and the palestinians as passive as a tree to this maddog, that's more difficult...
Sorry for the imprecision. The Palestinian people are victims of a failed “state” brought about in no small part by the policies of Israel. If the Palestinian people had agency I’d say Hamas And Hizbollah are their problem to deal with.
... this was part of the point of a two state solution. Make the Palestinians responsible, but you can't get to that point when the Israelis refuse to negotiate, refuse to allow for a non-failed Palestinian state. Sorry to say it, but it is so clearly true, there is a faction (the right wing) in Israel today, that like things just the way they are! The world has been stuck since the assassination of Yitzhak Rabin by the Israeli right wing -- 25 years ago.
Yep. But that’s all water under the bridge. You can’t put Humpty-Dumpty back together.

The US needs to dis-entangle itself from this Gordian Knot.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

jhu72 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:03 pm Israel ups the ante.
Netanyoyo and his iron fist.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NNuaGQ6-KnY
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

An Open Letter to Trevor Noah

May 13, 2021 — New York

This piece originally appeared in The Times of Israel.

I just watched your 10-minute monologue on the Israeli-Hamas conflict for your popular television program “The Daily Show” (May 11).

Frankly, it wasn’t easy viewing. In fact, I began talking back to the screen, but, obviously, to no avail, so I chose instead to write you this open letter.

You framed your comments quite cleverly by suggesting there were competing narratives out there, depending on who was doing the talking and the starting point of their version of history.

And then, as if nothing more than a curious third party, you waded into the debate, essentially assigning yourself a certain moral credibility because of your “non-combatant“ status.

But we are not entirely in a post-truth society yet, at least I hope not, where facts no longer exist and opinions rule the day, especially when catapulted into the public square by celebrity status and legions of admiring followers.

So, for example, when you assert that the British took the land from the Palestinians, not quite.

Actually, the British took the land from the Ottoman Turks, who had ruled there for centuries. Palestinians never had a sovereign state of their own. The Jews did, by the way, though that was vanquished by the Romans nearly 2,000 years ago.

But to fast forward, this conflict, at its heart, is about two competing national movements, and the only logical way to resolve it is by a negotiated settlement — two states for two peoples.

Simpler said than done, of course, and here we come to demonstrable facts, not simply personal opinions.

The UN recommended precisely such a two-state settlement as early as 1947. It was accepted by the Jews, rejected by the Arabs.

From 1948 to 1967, the West Bank, eastern Jerusalem, and Gaza were all in Arab, not Jewish, hands. A Palestinian state could have been created at any time. It wasn’t.

During 2000-1, Israel, joined by President Bill Clinton, offered a viable two-state accord to the Palestinians (incidentally, one of several offers in the past 20 years). They refused. That’s not my conclusion, but Clinton’s, as described in his autobiography, “My Life.”

Then we come to 2005, which has direct relevance to your monologue. Israel unilaterally withdrew its forces and settlers from Gaza, giving local residents their first chance in history to govern themselves, something Ottoman Turkey and Egypt had never done. By 2007, the Palestinian Authority was violently ousted and Hamas took control. It has wielded power ruthlessly ever since.

What exactly is Hamas, a point you skipped in your take on the Middle East?

It is a terrorist organization. That’s not a personal view. It is the formal designation of the United States and the 27-member European Union.

What’s the goal of Hamas, again missing from your comments? Israel’s annihilation and replacement by an Islamist regime. Those are frequently expressed and well-documented sentiments of Hamas leaders.

So you skip these relevant facts — the violent nature of Hamas, its doctrinal aims, or, for that matter, its split with the Palestinian Authority — and zero in on the current round of conflict, looking at it, above all, from the perspective of power ratios.

You bemoan the imbalance, asserting it’s not a “fair fight” because Israel is the stronger party.

You compare casualties, simplistically suggesting the side with the higher number is somehow automatically granted victim status.

You even try to offer a rationale for the Hamas actions by referring to threatened evictions of four Palestinian families in Jerusalem, failing to note that this is a longstanding legal issue in the Israeli court system.

You suggest that Israel triggered Hamas’s ire by harassing Muslims during Ramadan, which is a total misrepresentation of the facts, not to mention that Israel has repeatedly gone to great lengths to protect the right of worship for all faiths — something quite rare in that part of the world.

Let’s be clear: Hamas’s ire for Israel is permanent, as is its goal of one day dominating Palestinian allegiances not only in Gaza, but in eastern Jerusalem and the West Bank, as part of its larger strategy.

And you even try to compare the situation to your own childhood, recalling that your mother told you not to hit your younger siblings, even when provoked, because you were bigger and stronger.

Sorry, but your younger siblings were not plotting murder and wreaking societal havoc. You’re ignoring the true nature of Hamas, the fact that it’s been firing 1000s of missiles over the years, building cross-border terror tunnels, kidnapping Israelis, and foregoing development in Gaza to focus on damaging Israel.

You’re downplaying the trauma of millions of Israelis rushing to bomb shelters, caring for the elderly and disabled, and comforting traumatized children, as rockets fly overhead today and could strike anywhere, even with the Iron Dome anti-missile system in place.

You’re laudably concerned about children, but are neglecting the instrumentalization of Palestinian kids at the hands of a cynical Hamas regime that knows images of young victims will change the entire story for those who only see the photos, not the context.

And you sidestep a key question — what is Israel supposed to do under such circumstances, when your mother’s advice to you seems totally detached from the sober reality it faces? What would any country do, when the traditional tools of diplomacy — from conflict management to conflict resolution — don’t stand a chance with an ideologically and theologically driven Hamas?

Finally, allow me to stress one point. I don’t view this conflict simply as an endless debate to prove one side right and the other side wrong. Not at all. Rather, my decades-long involvement in the region, my many trips to Israel and the Arab world, including Palestinian territories, has one central dream — peace, enduring peace.

I believe that to be the quest of the vast majority of Israelis, among them my and my wife’s close family members. They have not experienced a single day of true peace since 1948, nor their families who were survivors of the Holocaust, refugees from communism, or victims of evictions from Arab countries.

Israel was not reborn to be in permanent conflict. The fact that six Arab countries now have normalized ties with Israel is a powerful reminder that peace is attainable, and that Israel is keenly on the lookout for partners.

One day, that peace will be realized, I pray, with the Palestinians. But it won’t happen as long as Hamas rules Gaza, clings to its genocidal goals, and snookers well-meaning people abroad to believe it’s the victim in a conflict, alas, of its own making.

David Harris is the CEO of the American Jewish Committee (AJC)
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:19 am Image

An Open Letter to Trevor Noah

May 13, 2021 — New York

This piece originally appeared in The Times of Israel.

I just watched your 10-minute monologue on the Israeli-Hamas conflict for your popular television program “The Daily Show” (May 11).

Frankly, it wasn’t easy viewing. In fact, I began talking back to the screen, but, obviously, to no avail, so I chose instead to write you this open letter.

You framed your comments quite cleverly by suggesting there were competing narratives out there, depending on who was doing the talking and the starting point of their version of history.

And then, as if nothing more than a curious third party, you waded into the debate, essentially assigning yourself a certain moral credibility because of your “non-combatant“ status.

But we are not entirely in a post-truth society yet, at least I hope not, where facts no longer exist and opinions rule the day, especially when catapulted into the public square by celebrity status and legions of admiring followers.

So, for example, when you assert that the British took the land from the Palestinians, not quite.

Actually, the British took the land from the Ottoman Turks, who had ruled there for centuries. Palestinians never had a sovereign state of their own. The Jews did, by the way, though that was vanquished by the Romans nearly 2,000 years ago.

But to fast forward, this conflict, at its heart, is about two competing national movements, and the only logical way to resolve it is by a negotiated settlement — two states for two peoples.

Simpler said than done, of course, and here we come to demonstrable facts, not simply personal opinions.

The UN recommended precisely such a two-state settlement as early as 1947. It was accepted by the Jews, rejected by the Arabs.

From 1948 to 1967, the West Bank, eastern Jerusalem, and Gaza were all in Arab, not Jewish, hands. A Palestinian state could have been created at any time. It wasn’t.

During 2000-1, Israel, joined by President Bill Clinton, offered a viable two-state accord to the Palestinians (incidentally, one of several offers in the past 20 years). They refused. That’s not my conclusion, but Clinton’s, as described in his autobiography, “My Life.”

Then we come to 2005, which has direct relevance to your monologue. Israel unilaterally withdrew its forces and settlers from Gaza, giving local residents their first chance in history to govern themselves, something Ottoman Turkey and Egypt had never done. By 2007, the Palestinian Authority was violently ousted and Hamas took control. It has wielded power ruthlessly ever since.

What exactly is Hamas, a point you skipped in your take on the Middle East?

It is a terrorist organization. That’s not a personal view. It is the formal designation of the United States and the 27-member European Union.

What’s the goal of Hamas, again missing from your comments? Israel’s annihilation and replacement by an Islamist regime. Those are frequently expressed and well-documented sentiments of Hamas leaders.

So you skip these relevant facts — the violent nature of Hamas, its doctrinal aims, or, for that matter, its split with the Palestinian Authority — and zero in on the current round of conflict, looking at it, above all, from the perspective of power ratios.

You bemoan the imbalance, asserting it’s not a “fair fight” because Israel is the stronger party.

You compare casualties, simplistically suggesting the side with the higher number is somehow automatically granted victim status.

You even try to offer a rationale for the Hamas actions by referring to threatened evictions of four Palestinian families in Jerusalem, failing to note that this is a longstanding legal issue in the Israeli court system.

You suggest that Israel triggered Hamas’s ire by harassing Muslims during Ramadan, which is a total misrepresentation of the facts, not to mention that Israel has repeatedly gone to great lengths to protect the right of worship for all faiths — something quite rare in that part of the world.

Let’s be clear: Hamas’s ire for Israel is permanent, as is its goal of one day dominating Palestinian allegiances not only in Gaza, but in eastern Jerusalem and the West Bank, as part of its larger strategy.

And you even try to compare the situation to your own childhood, recalling that your mother told you not to hit your younger siblings, even when provoked, because you were bigger and stronger.

Sorry, but your younger siblings were not plotting murder and wreaking societal havoc. You’re ignoring the true nature of Hamas, the fact that it’s been firing 1000s of missiles over the years, building cross-border terror tunnels, kidnapping Israelis, and foregoing development in Gaza to focus on damaging Israel.

You’re downplaying the trauma of millions of Israelis rushing to bomb shelters, caring for the elderly and disabled, and comforting traumatized children, as rockets fly overhead today and could strike anywhere, even with the Iron Dome anti-missile system in place.

You’re laudably concerned about children, but are neglecting the instrumentalization of Palestinian kids at the hands of a cynical Hamas regime that knows images of young victims will change the entire story for those who only see the photos, not the context.

And you sidestep a key question — what is Israel supposed to do under such circumstances, when your mother’s advice to you seems totally detached from the sober reality it faces? What would any country do, when the traditional tools of diplomacy — from conflict management to conflict resolution — don’t stand a chance with an ideologically and theologically driven Hamas?

Finally, allow me to stress one point. I don’t view this conflict simply as an endless debate to prove one side right and the other side wrong. Not at all. Rather, my decades-long involvement in the region, my many trips to Israel and the Arab world, including Palestinian territories, has one central dream — peace, enduring peace.

I believe that to be the quest of the vast majority of Israelis, among them my and my wife’s close family members. They have not experienced a single day of true peace since 1948, nor their families who were survivors of the Holocaust, refugees from communism, or victims of evictions from Arab countries.

Israel was not reborn to be in permanent conflict. The fact that six Arab countries now have normalized ties with Israel is a powerful reminder that peace is attainable, and that Israel is keenly on the lookout for partners.

One day, that peace will be realized, I pray, with the Palestinians. But it won’t happen as long as Hamas rules Gaza, clings to its genocidal goals, and snookers well-meaning people abroad to believe it’s the victim in a conflict, alas, of its own making.

David Harris is the CEO of the American Jewish Committee (AJC)
Point about the origin being from vestiges of the Ottoman-Turk (O-T) empire is well taken. However, saying the British took it from the O-T and not the Palestinians is disingenuous when a few paragraphs later Harris commends the Israelis for allowing self-rule to the Palestinians, something not done by prior claimants, even the O-T.

Whoever lives in an area are rightful residents. People don’t choose their parents or place of birth.

Hamas has a bad track record. Israel has an increasingly poor record. Since Harris doesn’t want to be lectured or receive guidance from outsiders when it is counter to his position, why not indulge him and withdraw completely? I don’t understand how the interests of the US and its residents are furthered by taking any side in this long-running dispute.

How about no support for any of the claimants? The US can have diplomatic relations, trade, etc., but no support. Nation-building has not served our interests well.
Last edited by PizzaSnake on Fri May 14, 2021 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... I don't think there is any question the Israelis lied, setup the press, to help pull off the strike against Hamas. To me this seems like a minor issue. I can even admire the tactic. Hamas is a bad actor.

The bigger issue however dwarfs this Israeli tactic. Israel is lying to the world about the real cause of the current round of violence. Their claim Hamas started it all, without any provocation. BULLSH*T! Hamas took advantage of a situation made by the Israelis. Israel's aggressive move to evict Palestinians from their homes is the cause of this conflict. The right wing Netanyahu government are thugs. This is not new knowledge. He is a failed politician trying to hang on to power. If a few hundred or a few thousand Palestinians have to die to keep Netanyahu in power for another year, no big deal in his mind. :roll:

IT IS TIME FOR THE US TO PULL THE PLUG ON THE SPECIAL RELATIONSHIP. We are currently giving the Israeli right wing permission for the coming genocide. The long term right wing solution to their Palestinian problem!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

My own feelings on the topic lie with the Israelis who sincerely wish for peace, including a workable two-state solution, and those Palestinians who want the same.

Blaming the right wing Israelis or Hamas, or both, for their aggressive resistance to such, is correct, but blaming only one misses the actual problem. They feed off of one another.

It is unfortunately accurate that there have been multiple opportunities presented to the Palestinians to achieve a two-state solution. And it is also true that the Israeli right wingers have never wanted such a solution, the primary justification (from those I know) being that they believe the Palestinians would never respect the peace, no matter what. And they've aggressively expanded their territory, and created close to an apartheid situation within their own borders.

All of it is unconscionable. And so too has been the support and encouragement of the conflict from other Arab and Persian states...again, huge missed opportunities to have pressured and supported the Palestinians in a two state solution, with economic development support to create a thriving Palestinian state at peace with its neighbors...but that path didn't serve their internal domestic politics.

But whatever the history of the conflict, tomorrow is always an opportunity to find a better path forward. Circumstances change and generations come and go...there is no giving up in what is otherwise an existential question for both parties.

I don't think our basic support for Israel and the Israeli Jews should be removed, but I do think we need to be clear that the Netanyahu right wing coalition does not have our support for actions that further inflame or oppress legitimate Palestinian interests. And Hamas should remain a pariah, named-terrorist organization until and only if they completely reverse their posture as to the legitimacy of an Israeli Jewish state.

And we're going to need to be patient. And work to build alliances with their neighbors that can support a legitimate, peaceful two state solution in which all can thrive.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Let's see. Friday, tunnel day. Saturday, media day.

I wonder what they have planned for today? Should be a doozy.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Without offering my own thoughts I asked my converted sister who’s a bit of a hard core hippy in the Bay Area what she thought and wants to discuss which I don’t have time for now but she shared this piece she aligns with to some degree so I thought I’d drop it in for folks.

https://www.heyalma.com/jerusalems-temp ... explained/
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:12 pm Without offering my own thoughts I asked my converted sister who’s a bit of a hard core hippy in the Bay Area what she thought and wants to discuss which I don’t have time for now but she shared this piece she aligns with to some degree so I thought I’d drop it in for folks.

A pox on all of their houses. Fighting over a crappy bunch of ruins and buildings? And why the US involves itself in this stupidity is beyond me. Fighting over ridiculous “origin” stories? What’s next, subsidizing a fight over cockfighting in the Philippines because some wackos think its part of their religion?

If I were in charge I’d make in inaccessible to both parties, sort of like you do with children who won't stop fighting over a toy.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:37 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:12 pm Without offering my own thoughts I asked my converted sister who’s a bit of a hard core hippy in the Bay Area what she thought and wants to discuss which I don’t have time for now but she shared this piece she aligns with to some degree so I thought I’d drop it in for folks.

A pox on all of their houses. Fighting over a crappy bunch of ruins and buildings? And why the US involves itself in this stupidity is beyond me. Fighting over ridiculous “origin” stories? What’s next, subsidizing a fight over cockfighting in the Philippines because some wackos think its part of their religion?

If I were in charge I’d make in inaccessible to both parties, sort of like you do with children who won't stop fighting over a toy.
A. I think no structure on this planet should be considered permanent. All of them can go, we had a bunch of bickering over the summer about this topic when statues were being torn down and on pricniple they went too far on some, but were initially correct if inelegant in their approach.
B. What's wrong with cockfighting? Jim Brockmire has called some of those matches in SE Asia and Kenny Powers once was a owner/manager so it can't be that bad...

To wit:

Brockmire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8iFG88sC-g

Power
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsbgsyTcX6c
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:41 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:37 pm

A. I think no structure on this planet should be considered permanent. All of them can go, we had a bunch of bickering over the summer about this topic when statues were being torn down and on pricniple they went too far on some, but were initially correct if inelegant in their approach.
B. What's wrong with cockfighting? Jim Brockmire has called some of those matches in SE Asia and Kenny Powers once was a owner/manager so it can't be that bad...

To wit:

Brockmire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8iFG88sC-g

Power
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsbgsyTcX6c
Nothing unless you’re a chicken...

Don’t like to get between the dog and the tree.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

You know I jokingly asked a few folks in Shelby while driving through that town and while it's fictitious they are pretty much proud of the Kenny Powers character. That is western NC, pretty sure its in the district of the wheelchair bound lying sexual predator senator, what's his name Crawford?
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:58 pm You know I jokingly asked a few folks in Shelby while driving through that town and while it's fictitious they are pretty much proud of the Kenny Powers character. That is western NC, pretty sure its in the district of the wheelchair bound lying sexual predator senator, what's his name Crawford?
It’s Cawthorn, and he’s a congressman. Give the rest of NC a little credit, will ya?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I like your hood around Wilmington and my business partner is in a really pretty bucolic part of Raleigh (N/NE area near a lake but not far from a commercial area where Dogwood State Bank HQ is can't recall the road). Love the Pit in DT raleigh and just spend two nights in Greensboro. Used to be my single best state from a client revenue perspective but they're all gone mostly (Park Sterling, Community One Bank, Carolina Bank, Yadkin Bank which was an amalgamation of ECB/VantageSouth/Yadkin and then acquired Newbridge who was also a great client, Bank of North Carolina, TrustAtlantic, FirstSouth in Washington NC, Southern Bank in Mt Olive is still around but controlled by a crazy family that also controls First Citizens Bank). Just helped a guy acquire a bank in middle of nowhere Roanoke Rapids NC and still talk to the guys at Peoples Bank in Newton. Held a function racing Beamers around Ballentyne and then golf lessosn w Dana Radar a few years back for clients, have done yoga in downtown Asheboro. My mother and I went for years to Topsail Island for vacation. Basically only area I don't spend a ton of time in is the mountains except when hedading down from our cabin on the border from Ceasar's Head Mtn to Brevard which is a cool little town (better than more popular Hendersonville or Asehville IMO).

Lots of good in NC, but lately you're letting the Meadows/Cawthorn anti bathroom crowd go too far.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:23 pm I like your hood around Wilmington and my business partner is in a really pretty bucolic part of Raleigh (N/NE area near a lake but not far from a commercial area where Dogwood State Bank HQ is can't recall the road). Love the Pit in DT raleigh and just spend two nights in Greensboro. Used to be my single best state from a client revenue perspective but they're all gone mostly (Park Sterling, Community One Bank, Carolina Bank, Yadkin Bank which was an amalgamation of ECB/VantageSouth/Yadkin and then acquired Newbridge who was also a great client, Bank of North Carolina, TrustAtlantic, FirstSouth in Washington NC, Southern Bank in Mt Olive is still around but controlled by a crazy family that also controls First Citizens Bank). Just helped a guy acquire a bank in middle of nowhere Roanoke Rapids NC and still talk to the guys at Peoples Bank in Newton. Held a function racing Beamers around Ballentyne and then golf lessosn w Dana Radar a few years back for clients, have done yoga in downtown Asheboro. My mother and I went for years to Topsail Island for vacation. Basically only area I don't spend a ton of time in is the mountains except when hedading down from our cabin on the border from Ceasar's Head Mtn to Brevard which is a cool little town (better than more popular Hendersonville or Asehville IMO).

Lots of good in NC, but lately you're letting the Meadows/Cawthorn anti bathroom crowd go too far.
Give some credit. I’m trying.... one neighbor at a time. If you (or anyone else here for that matter) are ever planning to come to Wilmington for business or pleasure, please pm me.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I will and still trying to find something on the beach in topsail for july but nothing available, but I'm sure I'll be over that way at some point. Do some regular work for a bank in SE NC (Dunn) who has a bit of exposure in the Wilmington area, but doubt anything I'd physically need to do for them there (and have a suspicion they may be selling out before I can get halfway through this year's contracted work).

Edit: I really did also have a friend once take a girl missing a hand, just a nub, into the back room of a gentlemen’s club in Greensboro. Even my demented mind couldn’t make that up. She was a smoke show. I was trying to debate whether I’d want to try that out based on his facial expression and general gait on his walk back to our table (there was four of us, ridiculous night).
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

So Dremer is on Morning Joe this AM gaslighting the American people. It is not sufficient for the world to understand Israel's situation, WE MUST SUPPORT THEM BLINDLY. What a f**king doofus! :roll: :roll:

He is deluded. He thinks this is not strengthening HAMAS in Gaza, pushing the Palestinians more into the arms of HAMAS. :lol:

When asked what Israel's end game is. CRICKETS. No answer. Just one more lying Likud POS.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Rep. Marie Newman profile in liberal Israeli paper.

Return to “POLITICS”