VT (Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University) Women's Lacrosse Coach Resigns

D1 Womens Lacrosse
seacoaster

Re: VT (Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University) Women's Lacrosse Coach Resigns

Post by seacoaster »

Cletus wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:37 am
fergie25 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:09 pm why do we think he "resigned"?
That was the wording of the press release. Perhaps there was an agreement—resign, or we’ll s***can ya.
It was likely a negotiated resignation with a small severance payment, which might have been unavailable if he was simply fired or simply left.
Dr. Tact

Re: VT (Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University) Women's Lacrosse Coach Resigns

Post by Dr. Tact »

There must be more to the story. I agree with Dasher, posted on other thread....
Dasher wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:26 pm The Va Tech job was the big job I heard was going to be open. Stories are awful, but won't be repeated. ACC job anyone?
DMac

Post by DMac »

"but won't be repeated".....well that's no fun. The story will come out though, most people aren't very good at keeping secrets. Feels to me as if Sung got stung, must've been doing something a little off key and out of tune, or maybe looking for some honey around the wrong hive. Anyone firing, or suggesting (strongly) they resign, an Asian HC in the current environment in the USofA without damn good reason? Methinks not.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

DMac wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:59 am "but won't be repeated".....well that's no fun. The story will come out though, most people aren't very good at keeping secrets. Feels to me as if Sung got stung, must've been doing something a little off key and out of tune, or maybe looking for some honey around the wrong hive. Anyone firing, or suggesting (strongly) they resign, an Asian HC in the current environment in the USofA without damn good reason? Methinks not.
The poaching of committed players bordering on tampering I'm guess did not help his cause at all.

JoeMauer89!
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

DMac wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:59 am "but won't be repeated".....well that's no fun. The story will come out though, most people aren't very good at keeping secrets. Feels to me as if Sung got stung, must've been doing something a little off key and out of tune, or maybe looking for some honey around the wrong hive. Anyone firing, or suggesting (strongly) they resign, an Asian HC in the current environment in the USofA without damn good reason? Methinks not.
Wait. You can be disgusted with things that were said about Scanlon -when some facts were know- but you're ok with accusing someone of inappropriate sexual behavior with zero evidence of that ? :roll:
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

tothedraw wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:48 am
Wait. You can be disgusted with things that were said about Scanlon -when some facts were know- but you're ok with accusing someone of inappropriate sexual behavior with zero evidence of that ? :roll:
I'm not sure he meant it that way, and I, anyway, didn't read DMac's comments that way. I know him a little, and have always found him to be shamelessly candid, and to be a good guy.

Midway through a contract at an elite institution, coaching in the premier women's lacrosse league in the country, a coach is let go without any information about why. I understand why there is no information on the causes of his "resignation," but people will speculate in the absence of real information. At the same time, it is known that Sung is an Asian-American, and that we are living in a time when the political consequences and read on, say, a termination of employment, are viewed with extensive care. I think DMac is saying that there must have been some serious discord within the program, beyond Ws and Ls, to countenance his removal. I'll leave this subject here
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:59 am
I'm not sure he meant it that way, and I, anyway, didn't read DMac's comments that way. I know him a little, and have always found him to be shamelessly candid, and to be a good guy.

Midway through a contract at an elite institution, coaching in the premier women's lacrosse league in the country, a coach is let go without any information about why. I understand why there is no information on the causes of his "resignation," but people will speculate in the absence of real information. At the same time, it is known that Sung is an Asian-American, and that we are living in a time when the political consequences and read on, say, a termination of employment, are viewed with extensive care. I think DMac is saying that there must have been some serious discord within the program, beyond Ws and Ls, to countenance his removal. I'll leave this subject here
I too believe something went down. Timing of it happening on the day of graduation is interesting to me too....anyway, I have heard non-fireable grumblings from parents over the years....but I know that happens everywhere. So, I think it has to be more than sour grapes....
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Totally agree that something bad went down. I have heard things more on the verbal abuse of players angle like Louisville situation of the past. But haven't we all agreed that kind of speculation isn't good ?

I'm sure DMAC is great and enjoy about 90% of his posts. I read it as he was suggesting inappropriate behavior with use of 'honey pot".
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

tothedraw wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:26 pm Totally agree that something bad went down. I have heard things more on the verbal abuse of players angle like Louisville situation of the past. But haven't we all agreed that kind of speculation isn't good ?

I'm sure DMAC is great and enjoy about 90% of his posts. I read it as he was suggesting inappropriate behavior with use of 'honey pot".
FWIW, I read the honey comment to be about $$$.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

There is a whole women's natural care product line called "Honey Pot" :lol: But I shouldn't have assumed a man would know that's a term used in that manner. My bad.

Either way not good for VT. Hopefully they land someone who can really get the most out of a great school.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

tothedraw wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:48 am Wait. You can be disgusted with things that were said about Scanlon -when some facts were know- but you're ok with accusing someone of inappropriate sexual behavior with zero evidence of that ? :roll:
Double standards are alive and well on these boards, tothedraw. It depends on who is en vogue to rip, you see. If it’s a certain team or player or coach, you can rip away with immunity. But if it’s some player or coach or team the other way, watch out!

Can you say “hypocrisy” boys and girls?
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

I made a biased assumption as well and we know how that works out.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

tothedraw wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:26 pm Totally agree that something bad went down. I have heard things more on the verbal abuse of players angle like Louisville situation of the past. But haven't we all agreed that kind of speculation isn't good ?

I didn't see where Dmac used the term "honey pot", unless I honestly missed it. I see the word "hive". I think you may have introduced that term?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

8meterPA wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:54 pm

I didn't see where Dmac used the term "honey pot", unless I honestly missed it. I see the word "hive". I think you may have introduced that term?
"...for some honey around the wrong hive..."

that reminded me of Pooh (Winnie the)
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Oh geez, reading a post once quickly and then responding also gets one in trouble. My apologies !
DMac

Post by DMac »

Interesting interpretation but I never accused anyone of inappropriate sexual behavior.
You're trying to read between the lines but there's nothing written there. Could honey
mean looking for recruits where he shouldn't be?
...and thanks for the support folks.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Your personal information can be shared with other members via private messages and then brought out into the open to shame and ridicule. You would think you were back in the 3rd grade.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

DMac wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:36 pm
Interesting interpretation but I never accused anyone of inappropriate sexual behavior.
You're trying to read between the lines but there's nothing written there. Could honey
mean looking for recruits where he shouldn't be?
...and thanks for the support folks.
You're a crazy old coot, but you're our crazy old coot.
xoxoxo
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:53 am There must be more to the story. I agree with Dasher, posted on other thread....
Dasher wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:26 pm The Va Tech job was the big job I heard was going to be open. Stories are awful, but won't be repeated. ACC job anyone?
Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy. Don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out! This is what happens when you show no loyalty to anyone or anything, ever. It comes back to bite you. For a guy that was a club goalie at some school in Michigan, he sure loved him some him. Never understand the arrogance.

Who ends up Tech? You can win there. ACC school. Not often do the BCS schools open up.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

If you click on his linked name in that press release, you get something funny.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”