2021 NCAA Tournament

D1 Mens Lacrosse
AreaLax

Re: 2021 NCAA Tournament

Post by AreaLax »

wgdsr wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:47 am
AreaLax wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:27 am Have seen this petition on twitter about the NCAA limiting roster size for the tournament. Has anyone heard what the limits are for the teams? I always thought there were traveling limits

https://twitter.com/jvanraaphorst/statu ... 88676?s=12
saw 3rd person roster size is 32 this year. way back in the day, the number was in the low-to-mid 30s. not sure if it ever changed.

edit to add: here's a better answer, courtesy of the indomitable '06 in the hop thread:
"NCAA Limits Teams to 45 on the Bench, Sparking Tough Conversations, Fan Outcry https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... tcry/57899
Thanks
That sucks for the players
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

This has sucked for players for decades.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

it is but one small sacrifice they can do in the battle against the coronavirus. they will be better people for it. we need to squash this.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

The NCAA is one of the most disingenuous organizations in the world. They blow their BS about the "student athlete" and in reality, they could care less about them. Don't insult me by saying this is about Corona, when teams have been traveling all year with full rosters and the numbers are at historic lows. This has been going on for years, kids work all year only to be told they can't even stand on the sideline with their team in the biggest moment. Also if they don't want to fund it fine, but let individual schools make up the difference I'm sure they all would. I despise them more than any other organization and I could cite many more examples of their incompetence. F them
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

This is a D1 focus. D3 sports do hold to student-athlete standards all the time. In a 32 team football playoffs (around 330 participating schools so think about that when asking for 24 in lacrosse) Are only allowed to travel 55, forget how many dress. That’s coming to school three weeks early from internships and running until after thanksgiving, no bars during season, study halls, 5am runs then half or more of rosters can’t even travel for the playoffs. And those are all tuition payers the bottom part of rosters funds the school at most places which is why 20-30 kids turn every year when you have a roster of 90-100 (Mt Union, UMHB and UWWhitewater carry 200) and teams bring in 45-55 recruits each year. There’s bigger screw jobs out there is my point.

But you get what you get when you are covered by an SRO, even better than regulatory capture if you can pull it off and higher ed has done so (like FINRA).
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:11 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:04 am
wgdsr wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:47 am
AreaLax wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:27 am Have seen this petition on twitter about the NCAA limiting roster size for the tournament. Has anyone heard what the limits are for the teams? I always thought there were traveling limits

https://twitter.com/jvanraaphorst/statu ... 88676?s=12
saw 3rd person roster size is 32 this year. way back in the day, the number was in the low-to-mid 30s. not sure if it ever changed.

edit to add: here's a better answer, courtesy of the indomitable '06 in the hop thread:
"NCAA Limits Teams to 45 on the Bench, Sparking Tough Conversations, Fan Outcry https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... tcry/57899
Thanks for posting that link! I traveled to an NCAA tournament game as a sophomore and practiced but didn’t suit up for the game. I know for a fact my parents were not upset. Not sure my parents even knew we were even playing that weekend!
lmao
I know soccer players that have to stay on campus and practice while their teammates travel and play! You know who isn’t at many college soccer games? Parents!
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

xxxxxxx wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:42 am The NCAA is one of the most disingenuous organizations in the world. They blow their BS about the "student athlete" and in reality, they could care less about them. Don't insult me by saying this is about Corona, when teams have been traveling all year with full rosters and the numbers are at historic lows. This has been going on for years, kids work all year only to be told they can't even stand on the sideline with their team in the biggest moment. Also if they don't want to fund it fine, but let individual schools make up the difference I'm sure they all would. I despise them more than any other organization and I could cite many more examples of their incompetence. F them
you're largely ignoring here that the nc$$ (my moniker for them for a very long time) is predominantly if not completely... individual schools and their lackeys. sure, danowski would want his players there (including his 6 grad transfers and 16 total grads) in 2021. but duke, et.al. can change the calculus whenever they choose. funnel more dough to hold events? eliminate a few layers @ nc$$ and in their own department? build one less building in the next 5 years?

$$ talks and b.s. walks. "it's about the student-athletes". lot of adults in the room, with full pockets. all over academia.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Word up exactly. Hence my SRO comment.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

bradensa

Post by bradensa »

wgdsr wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:39 am it is but one small sacrifice they can do in the battle against the coronavirus. they will be better people for it. we need to squash this.
Thanks for the comment, but this makes no sense to me. These players are together 6 days a week breathing side my side. They are tested between 3 to 5 times per week. They’ve made it this far, and now that the virus is at its lowest point in the country, they’re told they can’t travel together to save themselves and us from the virus? This isn’t about Covid, and if it is, it’s purely virtue signaling by the NCAA. They won’t be better people for this. Please.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Don’t want to speak for him but pretty sure that post was sarcasm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Nah let’s allow this to go down the path the Ivy thread went down and have some fun!
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:38 pm Nah let’s allow this to go down the path the Ivy thread went down and have some fun!
take it to the politics thread!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Tell that to the folks who insist on using the term virtue signaling in a lacrosse thread.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

healthy or not a kid on the roster all year should be allowed to travel to the tourney.

I have another thought that I would like to throw out and see others opinions.

As long as NC$$'s stay at 16-18 teams then have the max of 3 teams per conference. A one bid conference would still get tournament champ, 2 potential 2 bid conference would get regular season and tournament champ and 1 potential 3 bid league would get regular season, tourney and one at large.

Rewards regular season, leaves tourneys alone and spreads the invites out a little better.

Why play the regular season if 30% of the field come from one conference and they all make it.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Because outside of AQs, the best teams should get in, period.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i prefer to have potential 2 bid conferences schedule better ooc games after they get their program to that point, which can be done by winning games (and winning aq's here and there).

i also prefer to have at larges selected by what their individual performance is, not what conference they're in. and a system that makes a modicum of sense and is consistent & not up for interpretation by a rando small group of mostly non-lacrosse people every year.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

But the current RPI system that double counts SOS has a built in bias towards larger conferences which I know you are aware of.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Most fundamental job of selection always, always has to be include all the teams that have a chance to win the tournament. What conference they are in shouldn’t matter. By however means necessary, include every team that can actually win, then fill in with AQs, which certainly are important for the game
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Would that include every Hop selection since their last title?
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:05 pm But the current RPI system that double counts SOS has a built in bias towards larger conferences which I know you are aware of.
they used straight (your own team's) rpi the last 3 years. which they're not even supposed to use. but not double counting with sos.

and what i'm suggesting is that teams that want to be part of the mix need to schedule those games. is that easy? nope. you need to win first, not be a pariah, travel.

what's special about towson or loyola or denver getting those games and if they perform, they're in? plus they have an aq shot.

well, one of them is their coach stays even after they win for a couple years. anything else?
Last edited by wgdsr on Thu May 13, 2021 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”