Would clearer rules regarding “trollish” behavior on the Politics sub-forum be conducive to productive discourse?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Matnum PI

Re: Would clearer rules regarding “trollish” behavior on the Politics sub-forum be conducive to productive discourse?

Post by Matnum PI »

wgdsr wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:01 pmhuh. so pizzasnake starts a thread, and in a flash that's the plan? and the follow on 3000 registered members with 5-10 daily...

what i said earlier. and you have rules regarding personal attacks. this'd be real interesting to see what and who lines up as too passive-aggressive.
wgdr, this has been discussed for a long time. This thread is not the impetus.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Brooklyn

Re: Would clearer rules regarding “trollish” behavior on the Politics sub-forum be conducive to productive discourse?

Post by Brooklyn »

well, i don't agree with brookie on much, but on this we can surely agree

Certain people here just need to stick to the issue at hand rather than to use a thread to spread their hate. Let's see an end to troll posts such as,

"liberals hate America"

"liberals want a race war"

"liberals always play the race card"

"liberals believe in communism"

"liberals always play the victim card"

"you're a racist piece of sh*t"

and let's see those who make posts such as this stop accusing others of trolling. LET'S JUST STICK TO ISSUES.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

birds of a feather, brookie.

maybe be careful out there, looks like a new sheriff wants to come to town.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

new sheriff?

Let's vote him out of office.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:19 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:01 pmhuh. so pizzasnake starts a thread, and in a flash that's the plan? and the follow on 3000 registered members with 5-10 daily...

what i said earlier. and you have rules regarding personal attacks. this'd be real interesting to see what and who lines up as too passive-aggressive.
so when does this start?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:33 pm

so when does this start?
Sounds like it's gonna be 'careful', so I guess we'll see...

The specific discussion got most recently precipitated over on the "Is America racist thread"...been pretty darn ugly.

ggait just said this afternoon that he's dropping out...for my money that'd be a huge loss...I still remember him maybe a decade ago giving me a bit of a spanking in an NCAA rules discussion on which he most definitely correct and I was wrong. (No surprise perhaps to you ;) ) I had popped off half cocked, rather officiously too...but then was taken to task...ouch)...been reading what he writes very closely ever since!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:41 pm

so when does this start?
Sounds like it's gonna be 'careful', so I guess we'll see...

The specific discussion got most recently precipitated over on the "Is America racist thread"...been pretty darn ugly.

ggait just said this afternoon that he's dropping out...for my money that'd be a huge loss...I still remember him maybe a decade ago giving me a bit of a spanking in an NCAA rules discussion on which he most definitely correct and I was wrong. (No surprise perhaps to you ;) ) I had popped off half cocked, rather officiously too...but then was taken to task...ouch)...been reading what he writes very closely ever since!
i've never had anything but a short term issue with ggait.

but what was it he's had in his signature for the longest time? we're regulating trolling, right? maybe he saw the writing on the wall if that's what we're doing.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:19 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:25 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:43 pm
DMac wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:34 pm This just pretty much goes back to day one with all the celebrating of looser rules and the criticism by many of the unfair treatment when put on vacation or having posts deleted at the old house. Was going to be all about self policing. How's that all working out now as the numbers continue to dwindle and the stench of the cesspool gets stronger and stronger?
We're coming up on 3,000 registered members and have substantially more un-registered members than that just follow the posts. During the season, we have 5-10 new registered members daily. That's not dwindling. Along the same lines, if this website and forum is a cesspool whose stench continually gets stronger for you, my suggestion is to find a different pool. You shouldn't have to suffer through such a horrible experience.
Get some thick skin Matnum. DMac's criticism stands true, and it doesn't mean he should find another site. If anything, one could say that if you can't take criticism regarding the sites limitations, that maybe YOU should find another pool to wade in. Works both ways :lol: :lol:

JoeMauer89!
Another fine example of the troll jr whose almost every post is an insult. Well done.
I earned a nickname, I must be doing well. If you think that's an insult, then you really must not be mentally tough. It was far from an insult. I'll leave it at that. I'm not a troll at all, I just like to make people provide CLEAR reasoning behind some of the hot garbage they post.

JoeMauer89!
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:28 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:43 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:35 pm
admin wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:46 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:30 pmThe aim of new “rules” would be to allow the imposition of timeouts or bans. Self-policing and group shaming has not prevailed.
We have a Penalty Box and offenders frequent it. Some offenders frequent it frequently. First penalty is typically 1 minute (2 days). Each penalty there after is double the previous. e.g. For a third penalty, it's a 4 minute (8 day) penalty. The protocol is that a post-er alerts the Admin about a potential violation and Admin either throws a flag or does not.

There is nothing wrong with forum. It is fine just the way it is even if certain malcontents cry about losing the license they had to engage in personal attacks like they had in the old forum.

Please do us all a favor and don't change a d@mn thing.
Quite odd coming from one of the posters who absolutely can be the most intentionally divisive with his Political Cartoons and other hilariously narrowminded takes!

JoeMauer89!

"divisive"

"narrow minded takes"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You may not like the toons but what you fail to understand is that they deal with ISSUES. Not with personal attacks which is what the Admin wants to prevent on this forum.

If you don't like an opinion, ignore it.

If you feel an opinion is wrong, present your "proof" that it is in 'error'.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Express your own. But don't engage in the endless personal attacks your right wingers always make on this forum. That is what the Admin has said exhaustively. If you right wingers only learn to adhere to his rule we would not have all these right wing tears that we see today.
Why am I a right winger? Because I'm so called engaging in "personal attacks"? You really have lost it, you simply cannot not/will not have a conversation without relating it to politics, even in non-politics threads. You even do it in the obituary thread, sad. :roll: :roll:

JoeMauer89!
DMac

Post by DMac »

A new sheriff's a comin'?
Ring out the church bells and strike up the band!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAELs42aZt4
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

DMac wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:50 pm A new sheriff's a comin'?
Ring out the church bells and strike up the band!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAELs42aZt4
This’ll save us.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SbWg-mozGsU
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:27 pm Why am I a right winger? Because I'm so called engaging in "personal attacks"? You really have lost it, you simply cannot not/will not have a conversation without relating it to politics, even in non-politics threads. You even do it in the obituary thread, sad. :roll: :roll:

JoeMauer89!

https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.8213016 ... 8f8.u4.jpg

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

if we must have a new sheriff I will settle for nothing less than this:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/intanibase/iad ... 530/14.jpg

JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:07 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:27 pm Why am I a right winger? Because I'm so called engaging in "personal attacks"? You really have lost it, you simply cannot not/will not have a conversation without relating it to politics, even in non-politics threads. You even do it in the obituary thread, sad. :roll: :roll:

JoeMauer89!

https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.8213016 ... 8f8.u4.jpg
SMH, all that time up in Minnesota must have worn the New Yorker off you. It's a shame. :roll: :roll:

JoeMauer89!
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Keep making attacks and that's why people demand a new sheriff.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:07 pm S&O, the bleeding head with a lure in it.
That story was hilarious. Sore wouldn't be
happy with all the pot legalization going
around these days.
Did artful dodger, imp or hiya it mess around on LP politics boards? I only made it here after FL existing for a little bit but never went close on LP for like more than a decade
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:51 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:38 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:35 pmThere is nothing wrong with forum. It is fine just the way it is even if certain malcontents cry about losing the license they had to engage in personal attacks like they had in the old forum.

Please do us all a favor and don't change a d@mn thing.
We've been slow to penalize trolls. Mostly because we wanted to err on the side of caution. as mentioned above, trolling is a passive aggressive behavior. there's always plausible deniability for the troll. Going forward, we need to move the dial a little more towards penalizing obnoxiousness. This doesn't mean that Admin will agree. But... People whose posts are consistently attacks, insults, and other forms of negative obnoxiousness, they need to be slowly removed from circulation.
sounds more than a little protectionist, matnum. that doesn't always work out too well.
True but the Wild West led to a lot of dead bodies on the street and didn’t resolve itself without some regulation.

Consider the position of a founder who put in a lot of work to provide this for us all and confines in this effort to create something lasting. This site didn’t evolve out of spontaneous interaction. In that context it’s understandable to believe (and I think if executed correctly but good luck with that endeavor would be proper) that some increased management of these boards is critical existentially.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:18 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:01 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:56 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:51 pm sounds more than a little protectionist, matnum. that doesn't always work out too well.
maybe. but if this is what we need to do to get the, to be kind, jerks out of the house, so be it.
huh. so pizzasnake starts a thread, and in a flash that's the plan? and the follow on 3000 registered members with 5-10 daily...

you and me? ;)

Seriously, my objection is not to the occasional hyperbole, or jabs back and forth, and certainly not the obvious political satire, but rather the intentional obfuscations, misrepresentations, and outright lying some "trolls" employ with the clear intent to inflame, not discuss topics. They are unwilling to engage in respectful discourse on the merits of their arguments.

wgdsr, I often have trouble following you, and you sometimes go hot at me a bit, but I never doubt whether you're trying to actually discuss topics rather than to inflame arguments just for drill. Nor do you engage in the kind of dishonest rhetoric some employ. Moreover, you bring a heck of a lot to the table in actual facts and logic, and experience, offered. I hope that can be said for me too, at least most of the time.

And indeed, I think it can be said for nearly all posters on here. Unfortunately, some bring a very different tone.

I'm ok with the Admin making some incremental calls, with fair warning, on egregious trolling.

And arguing with the ref is surely going to get flagged in any sport...
Am I passive aggressive or just aggressive?

Trust me it’s way down the list of things I need to work on but I keep a pen around when needed.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:18 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:01 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:56 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:51 pm sounds more than a little protectionist, matnum. that doesn't always work out too well.
maybe. but if this is what we need to do to get the, to be kind, jerks out of the house, so be it.
huh. so pizzasnake starts a thread, and in a flash that's the plan? and the follow on 3000 registered members with 5-10 daily...

you and me? ;)

Seriously, my objection is not to the occasional hyperbole, or jabs back and forth, and certainly not the obvious political satire, but rather the intentional obfuscations, misrepresentations, and outright lying some "trolls" employ with the clear intent to inflame, not discuss topics. They are unwilling to engage in respectful discourse on the merits of their arguments.

wgdsr, I often have trouble following you, and you sometimes go hot at me a bit, but I never doubt whether you're trying to actually discuss topics rather than to inflame arguments just for drill. Nor do you engage in the kind of dishonest rhetoric some employ. Moreover, you bring a heck of a lot to the table in actual facts and logic, and experience, offered. I hope that can be said for me too, at least most of the time.

And indeed, I think it can be said for nearly all posters on here. Unfortunately, some bring a very different tone.

I'm ok with the Admin making some incremental calls, with fair warning, on egregious trolling.

And arguing with the ref is surely going to get flagged in any sport...
Well one would know that if they had played a sport with refs.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

so when does this start?
You’ll know it when you end up in the FL booty house

Return to “POLITICS”