D1 Mens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Syracuse 2021

Post by DMac »

fergie25 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:38 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:09 pm
fergie25 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:29 pm
DMac wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:32 am
NYVA631 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:12 am ^^^^^Awesome job of victim blaming scumbag. A girl defending herself against a piece of crap is not the issue here. Continue to embarrass yourselves. Losers.
This is not victim blaming my friend, this is hearing all the facts before jumping to conclusions. You, no doubt, convicted this man when you saw the hole in the wall. This is a lovers spat that got a little out of control, the person who was swung at got the person doing the swinging under control (of course in a grip where she feared for her life...yet she didn't want him to call 911) and contained her. Had no right to throw the phone for sure (gotta wonder what was on it) but the girl had no right to throw the punch either. Two sides here, and aint that victim blaming. Maybe you, the moral authority here, ought to wait for all the facts to come out too.
I truly hope you don't have a wife, sisters, or daughters.
I guess if one doesn’t have females in their life it is of no significance?

I can’t stand this statement which is used in modified forms all the time as it somehow ties the requirement of a personal relationship to females to caring about situations such as this.
What I meant by this statement was.... considering how disrespectful DMac was to a victim of domestic violence, I would assume he treats the women in his own life with the same disdain. You're right though, you shouldn't need to have women close to you to care about these issues. I'm a female, was a college lacrosse player, and now I'm a prosecutor- domestic violence should be (and now is in most states) taken seriously, no matter how trivial the offense seems to be.
This coming from an attorney is frightening and perhaps the best example of our favorite breakdown of the word assume.
State your case, counselor. Are you a psychiatrist too? A psychic, fortune teller, soothsayer, or maybe seer, or just one who makes assumptions and slanderous insinuations?
Your floor, counselor, state your case, show some evidence.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

NYVA631 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:12 am ^^^^^Awesome job of victim blaming scumbag. A girl defending herself against a piece of crap is not the issue here. Continue to embarrass yourselves. Losers.
This is not victim blaming my friend, this is hearing all the facts before jumping to conclusions. You, no doubt, convicted this man when you saw the hole in the wall. This is a lovers spat that got a little out of control, the person who was swung at got the person doing the swinging under control (of course in a grip where she feared for her life...yet she didn't want him to call 911) and contained her. Had no right to throw the phone for sure (gotta wonder what was on it) but the girl had no right to throw the punch either. Two sides here, and aint that victim blaming. Maybe you, the moral authority here, ought to wait for all the facts to come out too.

I can’t stand this statement which is used in modified forms all the time as it somehow ties the requirement of a personal relationship to females to caring about situations such as this.
What I meant by this statement was.... considering how disrespectful DMac was to a victim of domestic violence, I would assume he treats the women in his own life with the same disdain. You're right though, you shouldn't need to have women close to you to care about these issues. I'm a female, was a college lacrosse player, and now I'm a prosecutor- domestic violence should be (and now is in most states) taken seriously, no matter how trivial the offense seems to be.
Well said, Fergie.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

DMac wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:44 pm

This coming from an attorney is frightening and perhaps the best example of our favorite breakdown of the word assume.
State your case, counselor. Are you a psychiatrist too? A psychic, fortune teller, soothsayer, or maybe seer, or just one who makes assumptions and slanderous insinuations?
This is a college lax message board. Not a court of law. My money is on Fergie in a court of law, nonetheless .
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Scanlan is no longer with Syracuse lacrosse, start a separate thread to discuss Scanlan and his legal issues.

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

DMac wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:44 pm

Today, it’s hard to tell if justice’s woke virtue signaling starts the online mob, or if the online mob ignites the woke virtue signaling of ‘justice’,

Either way, a defendant like Scanlan is guilty til proven guilty, iykwim.

Crystal Mangum and Jackie Coakley needed to wait til 2021; no one would’ve believed the boys.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

stupefied wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:02 pm Scanlan is no longer with Syracuse lacrosse, start a separate thread to discuss Scanlan and his legal issues.

That's pretty weak. Because this man is no longer on your favorite team, a team that deemed him innocent enough to reinstate him, you think Syracuse should now be disassociated from him and his mess? On to the tournament!
DMac

Post by DMac »

LaxPundit07 wrote
This is a college lax message board. Not a court of law. My money is on Fergie in a court of law, nonetheless .
A lax message board indeed where unlike a court of law accusations, insinuations, and assumptions are acceptable and evidence is optional.
You don't really think I care if you're a Republican or not, do you? What does that even mean? Something about stereotyping?
If I said I've watched an hour of Tucker Carlson, that would be a stretch. You're very insulting.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

I also find you very insulting. HEY, we agree on something!! :D
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:11 pm So is Chase a “big fly” as you thought yourself in your “youthful” indiscretion?
Chase breaking another's phone is similar to my youthful indiscretion. (Though, even then, her phone cost hundreds of dollars while my bag of potato chips cost $1.35.) Chase's violence towards this young woman is very different...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

DMac wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:20 pm
NYVA631 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:36 pm ...scumbag fans defending a scumbag. Another shocker on this thread. Pathetic.
Scumbag troll coming on making up stories and spreading lies.
Show me a post of a scumbag fan defending a scumbag, scumbag.
People, let's take it down a notch...
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

In court, Chase Scanlan is innocent until proved guilty. In daily life, people make choices about who to associate with and judgments about whether a given person has a problem. His teammates' strong reaction to his short-lived reinstatement is compelling -- to me -- that they viewed him, at a minimum, as out of control and not a person they wanted to call "teammate." They felt so strongly that they were willing to jeopardize their own ability to play lacrosse. Again, telling -- not in an evidentiary legal sense, but in a "I have lived on this planet for a good while and this is convincing to me" sense.

Thank god, this did not end in tragedy as happened at UVA in the Yeardley Love situation. I have been told by someone with ties to UVA lax that some of Huguely's teammates still struggle with guilt and shame that they knew their teammate had issues -- with alcohol, anger, control, and an unhealthy relationship -- and did not do more. I am glad the Syracuse players do not have to carry that sort of guilt.

As for Scanlan, he is young, he is not in serious legal jeopardy, and there are a lot of resources out there to help those who may struggle with alcohol/anger/violence. If he is such a person, I hope he can take advantage of some of those resources and get to a better and healthier place, physically and emotionally. It is hard for this to play out in the public eye but it is possible that could be a spur for the young man to seek help.

Lastly, I encourage those who might be interested to look into the work the One Love Foundation is doing: https://www.joinonelove.org

They have some great educational programs to help young people -- male and female alike -- to recognize the signs of unhealthy relationships and to seek help if one is either prone to, or a victim of, an unhealthy relationship before there is abuse/violence. It's done with common sense and without posturing.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Good job.

I’ve heard from a few kids in Hugeley’s HS lacrosse circle that he was a mess in HS. It’s too bad we allow these folks to float long enough for signals of distress to metastasize into tragedy.

Then again I tried to tell a old “friend” in DC (Arlington-hot but very superficial) about Cabell Maddux when she put her kids in his camp and she blew me off this quick. And if anyone knows about what that guy did to another kid when he was at Hobart you’d be appalled and that’s before he wrote those gross letters to a kids parent nearly 20yrs later in this past decade indicating he’s the same person a she was. So not too many people care until their kid is in a hospital or it hits the news and otherwise turn a blind eye.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Good God, I forgot all about that Cabell email ending up on Deadspin.

I wonder whatever happened to "Ryan" that the emails were being sent to...
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:08 am Good God, I forgot all about that Cabell email ending up on Deadspin.

I wonder whatever happened to "Ryan" that the emails were being sent to...
he made it to uva and the
'hoos lacrosse team.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Good to hear. Shame MadLax still has any juice at all.

Then again I have gotten to know Liam Banks a little down here and I know his LB3 still carries the weight of him but once he sold it the thing became a joke. You have 4 or 5 sets of thunder helmets out there. Number of parents have told me they used to know who to cover by a helmet and know it’s flooded like a art thief getaway where everyone wears bowler caps.

On Cabell, there was a near uprising in Geneva because he was suspended first two trimesters and allowed back in spring for the lacrosse season. Professors were literally going to walk. This was very end of D3 run (black mark for BJ as coach) where there was a pretty high degree of arrogance and lack of controls on the program into the move to D1.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:42 am Good to hear. Shame MadLax still has any juice at all.

Then again I have gotten to know Liam Banks a little down here and I know his LB3 still carries the weight of him but once he sold it the thing became a joke. You have 4 or 5 sets of thunder helmets out there. Number of parents have told me they used to know who to cover by a helmet and know it’s flooded like a art thief getaway where everyone wears bowler caps.

On Cabell, there was a near uprising in Geneva because he was suspended first two trimesters and allowed back in spring for the lacrosse season. Professors were literally going to walk. This was very end of D3 run (black mark for BJ as coach) where there was a pretty high degree of arrogance and lack of controls on the program into the move to D1.
that just means more kids are getting high-quality instruction and growing the game.
i'll ask bj about it a bit down the line.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Ask him. I’m sure he’s over it and Hanna still screwed him which is why we couldn’t get a kid from West Genny until
This year when Coach Raymond put his kid on the roster and we had a strong WG player (Anthony Dattellas).

A kid from OWU was put in the hospital for more than overnight...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Actually WG just hit google and here is one piece from a higher ed type web site. I learned about it from the BOT a couple of years later as I came in 96 but had a lot of exposure to presidents and BOTs through through my student govt efforts and football where a Teammate nearly put the lacrosse players face through urinal because said lacrosse player who has beat up the football players girlfriend and wanted the Morton treatment (FB player was thrown out) and I knew both as a Fr.

BTW, never said the reinstatement was all BJ. And “late night brawl” was dragging a kid they had a beef w from HS out of a car and did him like Reginald Denny.

Show more sharing options
A Controversial Reinstatement
Professors at Hobart and William Smith criticize return of star lacrosse player

By Douglas Lederman
MAY 25, 1994
A star lacrosse player at Hobart and William Smith Colleges is back in action -- a cause for celebration for him and his fans, a bone of contention for many faculty members.

The professors are miffed that Hobart’s dean, Richard Guarasci, overruled a faculty-student panel and cut short the suspension of Cabell Maddux, who earned all-America status last year as the top scorer on Hobart’s most celebrated and successful team.

In November, the colleges’ Committee on Standards barred Mr. Maddux from Hobart for the rest of the academic year for his role in a late-night brawl. But when the panel unanimously rejected the athlete’s appeal for reinstatement in March, Mr. Guarasci stepped in and let him return to class. Late last month, the dean went a step further and put Mr. Maddux back on the men’s lacrosse team, 9 games into an 11-game season and two weeks before the start of the national playoffs.

Mr. Guarasci said Mr. Maddux had proved -- through weeks of community service, hours of counseling, and a newfound religious fervor -- that he could be a good citizen at Hobart and William Smith. Keeping Mr. Maddux off the team any longer, Mr. Guarasci argued, would have unfairly punished him for being an athlete, since the colleges rarely bar students from extracurricular activities.

“The decision came down to whether or not it was ethical to continue to deny a student full participation rights just because he’s a visible athlete,” Mr. Guarasci said in an interview. “If he was in the choir or on the newspaper, we probably would not be having this conversation.”

Mr. Guarasci also said he believed that one of the faculty members on the committee had a “bias” against Mr. Maddux because he was an athlete.

That galled many professors, who believe that Mr. Guarasci erred in reinstating Mr. Maddux and that, if anything, the athlete’s value to the championship lacrosse team has worked for him, not against him.

ADVERTISEMENT

RECOMMENDED READING
THE REVIEW
Why Are There So Few Women Full Professors?
REOPENING CAMPUS
The Vaccination Dilemma
“It amazes me that he would try to deflect responsibility for his actions in that way,” Tom Glover, a biology professor, said of the dean. Mr. Glover quit the Committee on Standards, in part over Mr. Maddux’s reinstatement.

He and others noted that Mr. Guarasci almost never overrules the committee’s decisions, and said that his atypical intervention on Mr. Maddux’s behalf undermined the faculty-governance system and the panel’s intended message: that violence will not be tolerated.

“This kind of decision collides with the climate of academic seriousness that we want on this campus,” said Craig A. Rimmerman, associate professor and chairman of the political science department. “It undercuts that climate by appearing to emphasize the primacy of athletics and ignoring the faculty governance structure.”

As a star of Hobart and William Smith’s most visible team -- which will become even more visible next year when it moves to the National Collegiate Athletic Association’s Division I -- Mr. Maddux is a Big Man on Campus. But the senior is known almost as much for his cocksure attitude and his self-described “stupid” behavior off the field as for his flashy exploits on it.

He had never faced formal disciplinary action, however, until last fall. Late one night in October, he and several fraternity brothers were returning from a party when they got into a fight with another group of students. Two of Mr. Maddux’s friends did most of the fighting, but as the scuffle ebbed, he intervened and further bullied one of the students, who filed charges against Mr. Maddux and two friends.

The three were arrested and charged with third-degree assault. Mr. Maddux pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of disorderly conduct; he was fined and sentenced to 120 hours of local community service.

The colleges also took action. After a hearing, the Committee on Standards, which includes three professors and one student, voted to suspend Mr. Maddux and another student for the rest of the year. The panel let the students finish the fall term, which had one week left.

ADVERTISEMENT

Mr. Guarasci fully supported the suspension. Members of the panel said he had told them at the hearing that Mr. Maddux would never again play Hobart lacrosse.

But Mr. Maddux said the dean had told him soon after the hearing that he had a “slim, slim chance” to be reinstated early. That hope motivated him, he said.

In January he worked in Florida for three and a half weeks for Habitat for Humanity, a non-profit group that builds houses in poor communities. He said the experience gave him a new appreciation for religion and for the problems of others. In February he spent three weeks in the Texas desert on an adventure-travel program, time he used to “reflect on myself and figure out who I wanted to become.”

In March, Mr. Maddux and the other student with whom he was suspended appealed their penalties to the Committee on Standards.

After a hearing, the panel’s four members unanimously rejected reinstatement. Three administrators who work with the committee also opposed the students’ return.

“If the college has a policy that says one year off is what makes a difference, this young man should also have been off for a year,” said Cindy Sutton, a professor of education and a member of the panel. “My concern is equal justice, and equal application of justice.”

Mr. Guarasci attended the committee’s hearing on Mr. Maddux’s case, which he admitted was unusual. He gave the case special attention, he said, because of its high visibility and because he felt that “with at least one member of the committee, there was strong bias against the individual.” (Mr. Guarasci did not identify that person, but Mr. Glover said that Mr. Guarasci had accused him of bias.)

ADVERTISEMENT

“I don’t think the committee listened to him at all,” Mr. Guarasci said of Mr. Maddux.

Mr. Glover, who attended Ohio State University on a basketball scholarship, called Mr. Guarasci’s charge of bias “annoying.” Joseph M. Berta, a music professor who is the panel’s chairman, said he was “disappointed” at the dean’s suggestion. He said the committee had based its decision “on the facts.”

Mr. Guarasci looked at those facts and drew a starkly different conclusion. Citing Mr. Maddux’s community service and supportive letters from people who had worked with him during his suspension, Mr. Guarasci said he had concluded that the colleges would help Mr. Maddux more by bringing him back than by keeping him out.

Mr. Guarasci ruled in March that Mr. Maddux and the other student could return to class, but that Mr. Maddux could not play lacrosse.

Mr. Maddux called that decision “bittersweet,” but said he continued to hope to resume playing. When he returned to the campus, he tutored local schoolchildren, began a chapter of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and helped plan a campus public-service day.

Last month Mr. Guarasci allowed Mr. Maddux to rejoin the team. He said he believed that Mr. Maddux had “worked hard to right himself,” and that the athlete had had a “horrible punishment,” missing most of his senior season and blowing a chance to be the Division III player of the year.

Mr. Guarasci also said that given the faculty opinion against Mr. Maddux’s reinstatement, he had made the more difficult choice.

ADVERTISEMENT

“By keeping him off, we would have been telling him that the adult world makes its decisions based on what’s politically convenient rather than on what’s educationally sound and morally right.”

He added: “It’s called parole. You try to rehabilitate young people. When they do make progress, you try to reward them for it.”

Many faculty members are baffled by the wide disparity between the committee’s unanimous opinion and the dean’s ruling. Most of them say they would like the dean to explain more clearly and convincingly why he did what he did.

Until they get that explanation, some professors said they had concluded that Mr. Maddux’s athletic skill was a factor in Mr. Guarasci’s decision. Such suspicions arise, in part, because the faculty is still split over the colleges’ decision to upgrade the lacrosse program to Division I next year, a move pressed by Mr. Guarasci.

Mr. Maddux has bolstered the team since he returned. He scored nine goals in the final two regular-season games, and added six more in an opening-round playoff game.

Mr. Guarasci said he had felt no pressure from coaches, alumni, or fans to reinstate Mr. Maddux. Most faculty members believe him when he says that athletics played no role in the decision.

That’s the dilemma for people like Don L. Woodrow, a professor of geology: He trusts the committee members, too.

ADVERTISEMENT

“When they tell me things, I believe them. But when the dean says something, I believe him, too,” said Mr. Woodrow. “We are left with this terrible blade edge on which to stand. How you get off that, I don’t know.”
We welcome your thoughts and questions about this article. Please email the editors or submit a letter for publication.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:14 am Actually WG just hit google and here is one piece from a higher ed type web site. I learned about it from the BOT a couple of years later as I came in 96 but had a lot of exposure to presidents and BOTs through through my student govt efforts and football where a Teammate nearly put the lacrosse players face through urinal because said lacrosse player who has beat up the football players girlfriend and wanted the Morton treatment (FB player was thrown out) and I knew both as a Fr.

BTW, never said the reinstatement was all BJ. And “late night brawl” was dragging a kid they had a beef w from HS out of a car and did him like Reginald Denny.

Show more sharing options
A Controversial Reinstatement
Professors at Hobart and William Smith criticize return of star lacrosse player

By Douglas Lederman
MAY 25, 1994
A star lacrosse player at Hobart and William Smith Colleges is back in action -- a cause for celebration for him and his fans, a bone of contention for many faculty members.

The professors are miffed that Hobart’s dean, Richard Guarasci, overruled a faculty-student panel and cut short the suspension of Cabell Maddux, who earned all-America status last year as the top scorer on Hobart’s most celebrated and successful team.

In November, the colleges’ Committee on Standards barred Mr. Maddux from Hobart for the rest of the academic year for his role in a late-night brawl. But when the panel unanimously rejected the athlete’s appeal for reinstatement in March, Mr. Guarasci stepped in and let him return to class. Late last month, the dean went a step further and put Mr. Maddux back on the men’s lacrosse team, 9 games into an 11-game season and two weeks before the start of the national playoffs.

Mr. Guarasci said Mr. Maddux had proved -- through weeks of community service, hours of counseling, and a newfound religious fervor -- that he could be a good citizen at Hobart and William Smith. Keeping Mr. Maddux off the team any longer, Mr. Guarasci argued, would have unfairly punished him for being an athlete, since the colleges rarely bar students from extracurricular activities.

“The decision came down to whether or not it was ethical to continue to deny a student full participation rights just because he’s a visible athlete,” Mr. Guarasci said in an interview. “If he was in the choir or on the newspaper, we probably would not be having this conversation.”

Mr. Guarasci also said he believed that one of the faculty members on the committee had a “bias” against Mr. Maddux because he was an athlete.

That galled many professors, who believe that Mr. Guarasci erred in reinstating Mr. Maddux and that, if anything, the athlete’s value to the championship lacrosse team has worked for him, not against him.

ADVERTISEMENT

RECOMMENDED READING
THE REVIEW
Why Are There So Few Women Full Professors?
REOPENING CAMPUS
The Vaccination Dilemma
“It amazes me that he would try to deflect responsibility for his actions in that way,” Tom Glover, a biology professor, said of the dean. Mr. Glover quit the Committee on Standards, in part over Mr. Maddux’s reinstatement.

He and others noted that Mr. Guarasci almost never overrules the committee’s decisions, and said that his atypical intervention on Mr. Maddux’s behalf undermined the faculty-governance system and the panel’s intended message: that violence will not be tolerated.

“This kind of decision collides with the climate of academic seriousness that we want on this campus,” said Craig A. Rimmerman, associate professor and chairman of the political science department. “It undercuts that climate by appearing to emphasize the primacy of athletics and ignoring the faculty governance structure.”

As a star of Hobart and William Smith’s most visible team -- which will become even more visible next year when it moves to the National Collegiate Athletic Association’s Division I -- Mr. Maddux is a Big Man on Campus. But the senior is known almost as much for his cocksure attitude and his self-described “stupid” behavior off the field as for his flashy exploits on it.

He had never faced formal disciplinary action, however, until last fall. Late one night in October, he and several fraternity brothers were returning from a party when they got into a fight with another group of students. Two of Mr. Maddux’s friends did most of the fighting, but as the scuffle ebbed, he intervened and further bullied one of the students, who filed charges against Mr. Maddux and two friends.

The three were arrested and charged with third-degree assault. Mr. Maddux pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of disorderly conduct; he was fined and sentenced to 120 hours of local community service.

The colleges also took action. After a hearing, the Committee on Standards, which includes three professors and one student, voted to suspend Mr. Maddux and another student for the rest of the year. The panel let the students finish the fall term, which had one week left.

ADVERTISEMENT

Mr. Guarasci fully supported the suspension. Members of the panel said he had told them at the hearing that Mr. Maddux would never again play Hobart lacrosse.

But Mr. Maddux said the dean had told him soon after the hearing that he had a “slim, slim chance” to be reinstated early. That hope motivated him, he said.

In January he worked in Florida for three and a half weeks for Habitat for Humanity, a non-profit group that builds houses in poor communities. He said the experience gave him a new appreciation for religion and for the problems of others. In February he spent three weeks in the Texas desert on an adventure-travel program, time he used to “reflect on myself and figure out who I wanted to become.”

In March, Mr. Maddux and the other student with whom he was suspended appealed their penalties to the Committee on Standards.

After a hearing, the panel’s four members unanimously rejected reinstatement. Three administrators who work with the committee also opposed the students’ return.

“If the college has a policy that says one year off is what makes a difference, this young man should also have been off for a year,” said Cindy Sutton, a professor of education and a member of the panel. “My concern is equal justice, and equal application of justice.”

Mr. Guarasci attended the committee’s hearing on Mr. Maddux’s case, which he admitted was unusual. He gave the case special attention, he said, because of its high visibility and because he felt that “with at least one member of the committee, there was strong bias against the individual.” (Mr. Guarasci did not identify that person, but Mr. Glover said that Mr. Guarasci had accused him of bias.)

ADVERTISEMENT

“I don’t think the committee listened to him at all,” Mr. Guarasci said of Mr. Maddux.

Mr. Glover, who attended Ohio State University on a basketball scholarship, called Mr. Guarasci’s charge of bias “annoying.” Joseph M. Berta, a music professor who is the panel’s chairman, said he was “disappointed” at the dean’s suggestion. He said the committee had based its decision “on the facts.”

Mr. Guarasci looked at those facts and drew a starkly different conclusion. Citing Mr. Maddux’s community service and supportive letters from people who had worked with him during his suspension, Mr. Guarasci said he had concluded that the colleges would help Mr. Maddux more by bringing him back than by keeping him out.

Mr. Guarasci ruled in March that Mr. Maddux and the other student could return to class, but that Mr. Maddux could not play lacrosse.

Mr. Maddux called that decision “bittersweet,” but said he continued to hope to resume playing. When he returned to the campus, he tutored local schoolchildren, began a chapter of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and helped plan a campus public-service day.

Last month Mr. Guarasci allowed Mr. Maddux to rejoin the team. He said he believed that Mr. Maddux had “worked hard to right himself,” and that the athlete had had a “horrible punishment,” missing most of his senior season and blowing a chance to be the Division III player of the year.

Mr. Guarasci also said that given the faculty opinion against Mr. Maddux’s reinstatement, he had made the more difficult choice.

ADVERTISEMENT

“By keeping him off, we would have been telling him that the adult world makes its decisions based on what’s politically convenient rather than on what’s educationally sound and morally right.”

He added: “It’s called parole. You try to rehabilitate young people. When they do make progress, you try to reward them for it.”

Many faculty members are baffled by the wide disparity between the committee’s unanimous opinion and the dean’s ruling. Most of them say they would like the dean to explain more clearly and convincingly why he did what he did.

Until they get that explanation, some professors said they had concluded that Mr. Maddux’s athletic skill was a factor in Mr. Guarasci’s decision. Such suspicions arise, in part, because the faculty is still split over the colleges’ decision to upgrade the lacrosse program to Division I next year, a move pressed by Mr. Guarasci.

Mr. Maddux has bolstered the team since he returned. He scored nine goals in the final two regular-season games, and added six more in an opening-round playoff game.

Mr. Guarasci said he had felt no pressure from coaches, alumni, or fans to reinstate Mr. Maddux. Most faculty members believe him when he says that athletics played no role in the decision.

That’s the dilemma for people like Don L. Woodrow, a professor of geology: He trusts the committee members, too.

ADVERTISEMENT

“When they tell me things, I believe them. But when the dean says something, I believe him, too,” said Mr. Woodrow. “We are left with this terrible blade edge on which to stand. How you get off that, I don’t know.”
We welcome your thoughts and questions about this article. Please email the editors or submit a letter for publication.
Here’s the tell:

“Mr. Guarasci said Mr. Maddux had proved -- through weeks of community service, hours of counseling, and a newfound religious fervor -- that he could be a good citizen at Hobart and William Smith.”

Once the invisible sky pilot is summoned, the fix is in.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”