Would clearer rules regarding “trollish” behavior on the Politics sub-forum be conducive to productive discourse?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
PizzaSnake

Would clearer rules regarding “trollish” behavior on the Politics sub-forum be conducive to productive discourse?

Post by PizzaSnake »

Warning: genuine question not designed to incite partisan wrangling.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Matnum PI

Re: Would clearer rules regarding “trollish” behavior on the Politics sub-forum be conducive to productive discourse?

Post by Matnum PI »

Yes. clearer rules regarding “trollish” behavior on the Politics sub-forum would be conducive to productive discourse...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
DMac

Re: Would clearer rules regarding “trollish” behavior on the Politics sub-forum be conducive to productive discourse?

Post by DMac »

This just pretty much goes back to day one with all the celebrating of looser rules and the criticism by many of the unfair treatment when put on vacation or having posts deleted at the old house. Was going to be all about self policing. How's that all working out now as the numbers continue to dwindle and the stench of the cesspool gets stronger and stronger?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

DMac wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:34 pm This just pretty much goes back to day one with all the celebrating of looser rules and the criticism by many of the unfair treatment when put on vacation or having posts deleted at the old house. Was going to be all about self policing. How's that all working out now as the numbers continue to dwindle and the stench of the cesspool gets stronger and stronger?
We're coming up on 3,000 registered members and have substantially more un-registered members than that just follow the posts. During the season, we have 5-10 new registered members daily. That's not dwindling. Along the same lines, if this website and forum is a cesspool whose stench continually gets stronger for you, my suggestion is to find a different pool. You shouldn't have to suffer through such a horrible experience.
Caddy Day
DMac

Post by DMac »

How 'bout you make the distinction between those posting in the lacrosse threads and those posting in the "Water Cooler"?
As noted, there used to be good conversations and a whole lot more people than the dwindling number you've got here. How many you got left here, 6 or 7? Wonder how the Chairman is doing these days? DD-Tech must be doing a lot of golfing and fishing these days, eh? No time to post here anymore I guess.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

No. You just need to use the "foe" function and know the people who you don't think contribute, and skip them. Rules won't help.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I suppose that would work to a certain extent but why then only a handful of people left? You could list a whole lot of people who you no longer see, many of them who were bright, good, and regular contributors.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

DMac wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:21 pm I suppose that would work to a certain extent but why then only a handful of people left? You could list a whole lot of people who you no longer see, many of them who were bright, good, and regular contributors.
I agree, old friend; there are many former posters I really miss. And I do think the quality of discussion and the trolling has made those people understand that their time is not well spent here. It certainly makes me sad. The introduction of Peter Brown and his posts has reduced my interest here 98%, which may be his goal. The period right after the election, when he retreated from his nearly unending list of incorrect prognostications, was nice. Now, not so much. I have said, "Boycott Stupid." I really think a concerted, collusive, and persistent effort to ignore him may be the only way out. But new rules? Just don't see those helping.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Not having ggait and a fan participating is a sign of leaner engagement and less reasoned and substantive discussion. I have been scaling back as well and likely will joining the two of them heading for the exits. Ciao fellas. :cry:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

seacoaster wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:27 pm
DMac wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:21 pm I suppose that would work to a certain extent but why then only a handful of people left? You could list a whole lot of people who you no longer see, many of them who were bright, good, and regular contributors.
I agree, old friend; there are many former posters I really miss. And I do think the quality of discussion and the trolling has made those people understand that their time is not well spent here. It certainly makes me sad. The introduction of Peter Brown and his posts has reduced my interest here 98%, which may be his goal. The period right after the election, when he retreated from his nearly unending list of incorrect prognostications, was nice. Now, not so much. I have said, "Boycott Stupid." I really think a concerted, collusive, and persistent effort to ignore him may be the only way out. But new rules? Just don't see those helping.

... agreed new rules will not help, will likely make it worse. I would disagree somewhat that it is all Petey's fault. I think it was already trending to less posters before he showed up. Some people just don't want to deal with politics, day in and day out. The discussions have been pretty circumscribed since the appearance of Trump on the scene. There are still many who read the forum, but don't post. We have picked up some new blood. I suspect some of those who have checked out, will after a rest, find their way back. I have done that myself, staying totally away for 6 months or so.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

DMac wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:34 pm This just pretty much goes back to day one with all the celebrating of looser rules and the criticism by many of the unfair treatment when put on vacation or having posts deleted at the old house. Was going to be all about self policing. How's that all working out now as the numbers continue to dwindle and the stench of the cesspool gets stronger and stronger?
+10000

Posting something that a certain small subset DOES NOT WANT TO HEAR because it doesn't align with their warped ideology, political leanings, worldviews, etc. IS THE FURTHEST THING FROM TROLLISH BEHAVIOR. In life, you come across others on a DAILY basis who don't think, act, behave,etc. the way you do. But guess what, that juxtaposition is what makes life EXCITING. Some people on this site behave like 12 year-olds when they see posts that don't align with their admittedly NARROW worldview. It's sad. Thanks for putting this in a right term, its become a CESSPOOL.

JoeMauer89!
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:43 pm
We're coming up on 3,000 registered members and have substantially more un-registered members than that just follow the posts. During the season, we have 5-10 new registered members daily. That's not dwindling. Along the same lines, if this website and forum is a cesspool whose stench continually gets stronger for you, my suggestion is to find a different pool. You shouldn't have to suffer through such a horrible experience.
Get some thick skin Matnum. DMac's criticism stands true, and it doesn't mean he should find another site. If anything, one could say that if you can't take criticism regarding the sites limitations, that maybe YOU should find another pool to wade in. Works both ways :lol: :lol:

JoeMauer89!
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Kismet wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:47 pm Not having ggait and a fan participating is a sign of leaner engagement and less reasoned and substantive discussion. I have been scaling back as well and likely will joining the two of them heading for the exits. Ciao fellas. :cry:
Adios!

JoeMauer89!
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:26 pm
Kismet wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:47 pm Not having ggait and a fan participating is a sign of leaner engagement and less reasoned and substantive discussion. I have been scaling back as well and likely will joining the two of them heading for the exits. Ciao fellas. :cry:
Adios!

JoeMauer89!
Will be enjoying life without mindless jerks like YOU!!! Hope you enjoy your next vacation as the rest of us did for your last one. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

The aim of new “rules” would be to allow the imposition of timeouts or bans. Self-policing and group shaming has not prevailed.

I know my hands have not been perfectly clean and that I too have been guilty of offensive reactive and incendiary posts. I can own my transgressions.

However, I do value this an a venue to discuss events and ideas. I appreciate the differing viewpoints: who wants to live in Lake Woebegone? I do not appreciate the rude and dismissive posts that continue regardless of efforts to engage the poster in a meaningful dialogue.

Perhaps this is the wrong venue.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I think JHU72 and numerous others (on this tread and others) are spot on. The four plus years of Trump played no small role in the change in tone of the political discussions. We all see it in the world, in our lives. Why would this forum be any different? With this said, we're also living in a post-Trump America. Hope springs eternal. Personally, I'm optimistic. From Day One, FanLax has been a party that was broken up over there so we moved it here. Same Party, Different House. And, while the house means something, the people make the party. Some people simply didn't come over, some people chose and are choosing to leave. And I'm still optimistic because... If the unhappy people (who obviously don't help a party) leave and the obnoxious people are in the Penalty Box (which they will be), then that sounds like a good party to me. A party doesn't need to be big to be good. A party needs to have good people. And I'm optimistic about this.
Caddy Day
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Good luck policing "trolls."

There are a number of them on both sides here.

And we also have a lot of people on both sides who ask/believe the things they post, who aren't intentionally trolling...only to be called/labeled a "troll."

Having a legit dissenting POV does not make one a troll. It just squelches your echo chamber. Now looking for fights, name calling and being unwilling to engage in honest discourse - THAT's trolling.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Kismet wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:29 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:26 pm
Adios!

JoeMauer89!
Will be enjoying life without mindless jerks like YOU!!! Hope you enjoy your next vacation as the rest of us did for your last one. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm not a jerk by any stretch, this is an online forum you don't know me from Peter, Paul or Pat. What I am is blunt, direct and tell things like they are. If you don't want to hear those things, then too bad. Toughen up, It doesn't make me a jerk at all. I love to talk to lacrosse and will continue to do so on this site as it provides a great avenue to do so. I don't think you should quit on the site, your posts are usually informative and well put-together.

JoeMauer89!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:30 pmThe aim of new “rules” would be to allow the imposition of timeouts or bans. Self-policing and group shaming has not prevailed.
We have a Penalty Box and offenders frequent it. Some offenders frequent it frequently. First penalty is typically 1 minute (2 days). Each penalty there after is double the previous. e.g. For a third penalty, it's a 4 minute (8 day) penalty. The protocol is that a post-er alerts the Admin about a potential violation and Admin either throws a flag or does not.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:25 pm Get some thick skin Matnum. DMac's criticism stands true, and it doesn't mean he should find another site. If anything, one could say that if you can't take criticism regarding the sites limitations, that maybe YOU should find another pool to wade in. Works both ways :lol: :lol:
There's a truth to this. If it was sincere constructive criticism. But when someone is walking from room to room in a party saying, This party sucks! This house smells! This etc., you shouldn't be surprised when the owner of the house where the party is taking place says, You don't need to stay, you might better enjoy a different party...
Caddy Day

Return to “POLITICS”