2021 Tournament

D3 Mens Lacrosse
laxpert

Re: 2021 Tournament

Post by laxpert »

Is there anything published on attendance policy's for each pod?

Or could those with CREDIBLE knowledge post .
SouthernLaxGenius

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

laxpert wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:38 pm Is there anything published on attendance policy's for each pod?

Deep Pocket has posted about a few campus policy's already in this thread.

Also you can check the individual school's athletic website as most of them have their Covid policy listed (or you can scroll through the conference/league page for a break down as well), seeing how each particular place is different.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

SouthernLaxGenius wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:48 am A. The team that has a bye (you know the one from Rochester that you love to point out) was seemingly chosen as the #1 overall team in the tourney. So yes, it seems they would have an easier time to get to the championship game, as is the case with most (college) sports.
Getting a bye is fine, that happens in a lot of sports. However: unless I'm missing something, there is no tournament in which the #1 seed doesn't play any high quality opponents before the final four while all of their competitors do.
C. It’s not the job of the NCAA to “let more teams in”. Said team(s) need to be better and win their AQ or go the way of those certain New England teams in 2018 and 2019.
It is absolutely the NCAA's job to let more good teams in, because previous years have shown that at-large bids deserve a shot. Also...why does it seem like "be better" often just means "play in a worse conference"? :D
D. Swapping out Cortland for Saint John Fisher isn’t going to happen as it would take STJF an extra 128 miles to get to Stockton as opposed to the Red Dragons ($$$$ and travel).
Swapping Cortland for SJF would result in a significant net reduction of travel time and cost.

After spending way too much time on Google Maps, here is what I came up with.

First Round
  • UMass-Boston plays SJF @ SJF. Net: +60 miles
  • Cortland plays SUNY Maritime @ Stockton. Net: -221 miles
  • Tufts plays Babson @ Stockton. Net: -121 miles
First Round Gain/Loss: -282 miles

Second Round
  • RIT plays SJF @ SJF. Net: -381.5 miles
  • Tufts plays Cortland @ Stockton. Net: -61 miles
Second round Gain/Loss: -442.5 miles

Net Gain/Loss (assuming higher seeds win): -724.5 miles driven

Changing literally ONE matchup and shifting around which games happen at the two sites creates a more balanced bracket with significantly less driving than what the NCAA came up with. Am I missing something?
E. 31 and the bye is predicated on the reduction of the field (due to Covid this year). If the field is not reduced, then there is no Division III tournament.
This is nonsense. Leaving the field at 32 instead of 31 would have absolutely zero impact on the ability to hold the tournament.
F. See point B in regards to every region having a top 15 team.
Unless I'm missing something, the NCAA had a clear option to ensure that every region had a top fifteen team while significantly reducing travel. They just ignored it.
SouthernLaxGenius

Some people still don't get :lol:

I guess I am the one misinformed and will go back to posting what I know about :roll:

I'm not going to rehash all (polls and "top 15 teams" that are voted on; which mean nothing unless they are regional rankings, assumption and one's opinion of who is a high quality opponent with a reduced schedule, initial travel/cost to get a team to their respective pod/quadrant as teams wont be traveling back unless they lose; so second round games really do not matter) but I will address that the total field this year being 31.

The total field in 2019 was 36 (27 AQ's, 1 Pool B and 8 Pool C's).

There was a % that had to be agreed upon, for the number of teams in the bracket this year in order to have a tournament.

32 > 31 and that number (32) would have put them over the allotted % hence 28 AQ's, 1 Pool B and 2 Pool C's = 31
ah23

Post by ah23 »

SouthernLaxGenius wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:41 pm I'm not going to rehash all (polls and "top 15 teams" that are voted on; which mean nothing unless they are regional rankings
You don't have to rehash the polls or rankings. SJF (and St. Lawrence FWIW) are above Cortland in the NCAA's regional rankings.
initial travel/cost to get a team to their respective pod/quadrant as teams wont be traveling back unless they lose; so second round games really do not matter
The hypothetical change I pointed out reduces travel and cost no matter how you look at it. Additionally, the Second Round does matter because RIT does not play in the First Round and thus their travel is not factored in. I suppose the mistake I made was double counting Tufts, though overnights have been prohibited in the NESCAC this year so that was the basis for my assumption. But of the seven teams in this corner of the bracket, two (SUNY Maritime and RIT) would have massive mileage reductions, two (Tufts and Babson) would have moderate mileage reductions, two (SJF and Cortland) would have no change, and one (UMass Boston) would have a moderate mileage increase.

I feel like I'm missing something. Literally switching one game significantly reduces travel while also making the pods more balanced (yes, according to the NCAA's own regional rankings). Seriously, if you/anyone can point out where I've gone wrong I would appreciate it, because this seems pretty straightforward.
SouthernLaxGenius

Just watched a little more Catholic Lacrosse. :geek:

Stevens game may be closer than I originally thought. :oops:

Possible upset. :?:
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

I want to congratulate both of you guys for digging in and continuing to state your cases and doing so with decorum and respect. That said I think we’ve arrived at a place where the horse is most certainly dead! Can we now switch to the games that rightly or wrongly have been scheduled?

I’ll start ... aside from the Denison v Centre game that someone over on the NCAC thread suggested would be the big upset of the 1st round (won’t retype my reply here) another game that might be tight and worth a look is the Stevens v Catholic game. Any thoughts? Am I seeing this right or am I crazy?
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

SouthernLaxGenius wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:06 pm Just watched a little more Catholic Lacrosse. :geek:

Haha ... only read this after posting my post calling for the same. So at least one poster doesn’t think I’m crazy.
Laxaholic123

Post by Laxaholic123 »

Catholic was putting up big points at the beginning of the season. I think they have a very good squad this year.
SouthernLaxGenius

Nosey Ned wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:10 pm
SouthernLaxGenius wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:06 pm Just watched a little more Catholic Lacrosse. :geek:

Haha ... only read this after posting my post calling for the same. So at least one poster doesn’t think I’m crazy.
lol that's pretty funny. :lol:

People may think it's just Crowley (he is going to be a problem for Stevens) and Baudo but I like D'Ambrogi from what I've seen. May be a bit underrated
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

laxpert wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:38 pm Is there anything published on attendance policy's for each pod?

Unofficially hearing (from a player) that SJF is allowing parents of players from all teams to attend. The official SJF website does not reflect this and is still dated from early April.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
baxendale

Post by baxendale »

The attendance policies I’ve seen for a few of the D3 sites are just ridiculous. The follow the science crowd can blow it out their ass. They’ve crossed the chasm and are now actively selling fear. With the vax uptake, there should arguably be zero restrictions on outdoor gatherings. Yet some (most, all??) sites are limited to 2 family per participant. But oh look, the public can go online and buy tickets for D1 weekend at UNC. Talk about second-class citizens. What an utter fail by the powers that be in D3. The people responsible for this fiasco should be taken to task. Or maybe the D3 parents have been so cowed by radical administrations that they simply go along to get along. D3...the rigorous academics, academics first, on and on. Yet most schools are run by an identical group of dithering, pandering dolts. “Flatten the curve!” Kiss my ass you imbecilic haters of all that is good in sports and athletics.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

It is definitely bizarre that spectator guidance doesn’t mirror that of the CDC/any other public health organization. Having limited numbers of spectators outside (especially given vaccination rates) is a minuscule risk. Hopefully host sites will adjust and allow spectators as the tournament moves forward. It would be very bizarre to see national semifinals and the championship game without fans or limited to parents only.
islander

Post by islander »

baxendale wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:08 am The attendance policies I’ve seen for a few of the D3 sites are just ridiculous. The follow the science crowd can blow it out their ass. They’ve crossed the chasm and are now actively selling fear. With the vax uptake, there should arguably be zero restrictions on outdoor gatherings. Yet some (most, all??) sites are limited to 2 family per participant. But oh look, the public can go online and buy tickets for D1 weekend at UNC. Talk about second-class citizens. What an utter fail by the powers that be in D3. The people responsible for this fiasco should be taken to task. Or maybe the D3 parents have been so cowed by radical administrations that they simply go along to get along. D3...the rigorous academics, academics first, on and on. Yet most schools are run by an identical group of dithering, pandering dolts. “Flatten the curve!” Kiss my ass you imbecilic haters of all that is good in sports and athletics.
Loyala just had to withdraw from the opportunity to play for the Patriot League championship game because of a positive Covid test. These schools and teams are doing everything they can and should do to be playing right now and limiting spectators/visitors limits the chance to potentially spread to a player and cost him and his team their season.

Asymptomatic and testing positive as a healthy 20 year is still testing positive. In this case, this season, less is more for the sake of the players getting to play the game.

Take your radicalization complaints back to Facebook.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

baxendale wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:08 am The attendance policies I’ve seen for a few of the D3 sites are just ridiculous. The follow the science crowd can blow it out their ass. They’ve crossed the chasm and are now actively selling fear. With the vax uptake, there should arguably be zero restrictions on outdoor gatherings. Yet some (most, all??) sites are limited to 2 family per participant. But oh look, the public can go online and buy tickets for D1 weekend at UNC. Talk about second-class citizens. What an utter fail by the powers that be in D3. The people responsible for this fiasco should be taken to task. Or maybe the D3 parents have been so cowed by radical administrations that they simply go along to get along. D3...the rigorous academics, academics first, on and on. Yet most schools are run by an identical group of dithering, pandering dolts. “Flatten the curve!” Kiss my ass you imbecilic haters of all that is good in sports and athletics.
I agree
tiger_fan

Post by tiger_fan »

ah23 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:29 pm
SouthernLaxGenius wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:41 pm I'm not going to rehash all (polls and "top 15 teams" that are voted on; which mean nothing unless they are regional rankings
You don't have to rehash the polls or rankings. SJF (and St. Lawrence FWIW) are above Cortland in the NCAA's regional rankings.
initial travel/cost to get a team to their respective pod/quadrant as teams wont be traveling back unless they lose; so second round games really do not matter
The hypothetical change I pointed out reduces travel and cost no matter how you look at it. Additionally, the Second Round does matter because RIT does not play in the First Round and thus their travel is not factored in. I suppose the mistake I made was double counting Tufts, though overnights have been prohibited in the NESCAC this year so that was the basis for my assumption. But of the seven teams in this corner of the bracket, two (SUNY Maritime and RIT) would have massive mileage reductions, two (Tufts and Babson) would have moderate mileage reductions, two (SJF and Cortland) would have no change, and one (UMass Boston) would have a moderate mileage increase.

I feel like I'm missing something. Literally switching one game significantly reduces travel while also making the pods more balanced (yes, according to the NCAA's own regional rankings). Seriously, if you/anyone can point out where I've gone wrong I would appreciate it, because this seems pretty straightforward.
All this so that RIT can play SJF for the third time this year? What does that prove?
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

See NYT story yesterday, addressing the obvious. You do not catch COVID outside. You just don’t. There has not been a case of casual outdoor transmission (which would be parents on sidelines) in the entire world. Literally! There has not been a single case of transmission while playing an outdoor sport in the entire world. Literally! All of the fear mongering people really need to take a look at themselves at this point and ask just What the heck they are about. They aren’t trying to keep anyone safe. They aren’t trying to stop spread (you cannot catch COVID watching a lax game!!!!!). And that Loyola player? It was a false positive. You want to stop that, you need to stop testing. Stadiums are full of people. There are no outbreaks, there are no “super spreaders” from any of these. Why? Say it again. You don’t catch COVID, or any respiratory viral illness, outside standing next to someone.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

I don’t think these upsets will hit, but I’m at least interested in keeping tabs on Endicott-CNU and John Carroll-F&M. Endicott is not the Endicott of old, but every now and then they wake up and bother the hell out of a heavy favorite. The Gulls have gotten good goalie play all year…which is good, because they’re never going to have the ball. Their team face off percentage is 26.6%! Tough to pull off an upset if you can’t string possessions together.

As for John Carroll, I think they’ll likely get whacked…but we also don’t have much concrete information about either team so who knows. Yes, so I’m stretching. It’s the first round!

One more thing…
tiger_fan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:44 am All this so that RIT can play SJF for the third time this year? What does that prove?
What does beating Cortland a second time prove? The two RIT-SJF games were wildly different, and the most recent one was a one-goal game. It’s a rematch either way; give me the rematch against the better opponent with something to prove.
SouthernLaxGenius

8-)

https://events.ticketspicket.com/agency ... 45bfb15f9b

https://events.ticketspicket.com/agency ... ae293acc6c

I wonder if you have to buy tickets for both games or will you be able to stay and watch after the Lynchburg/Pfeiffer game without having to leave and present another ticket :?:
baxendale

Post by baxendale »

islander wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:34 am
Loyala just had to withdraw from the opportunity to play for the Patriot League championship game because of a positive Covid test. These schools and teams are doing everything they can and should do to be playing right now and limiting spectators/visitors limits the chance to potentially spread to a player and cost him and his team their season.

Asymptomatic and testing positive as a healthy 20 year is still testing positive. In this case, this season, less is more for the sake of the players getting to play the game.

Take your radicalization complaints back to Facebook.
Radicalization? That's radicalization? Wow :lol: We'll agree to disagree. And Loyola was a false +, they got hosed.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”