2021 Tewaaraton watch list released

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Itsallgood

Re: 2021 Tewaaraton watch list released

Post by Itsallgood »

Laxallday wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:05 am
Cletus wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:12 am
Laxallday wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:26 pm Maryland not likely to make it to quarters.
I like this scenario. Please expound.
No offense to our Terp posters, but I just don’t see Md winning two games. No first round bye which is always a disadvantage, no home field advantage, limited offensive options and solid not spectacular on draws and D. Colson can only win so many draws and cover so many top offensive threats.
First time in a long while where there has been little to no improvement for the Terps. I think there offense has actually been worse as the season progresses.
Cletus

Which 5 players make your final cut?

Post by Cletus »

My five (in no particular order) Izzy Scane, Charlotte North, Jamie Ortega, Lauren Gilbert, Katie Hoeg.
Brownlax

Re: Which 5 players make your final cut?

Post by Brownlax »

Cletus wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:58 pm My five (in no particular order) Izzy Scane, Charlotte North, Jamie Ortega, Lauren Gilbert, Katie Hoeg.
No Moreno in Goal for UNC - she has better statistics than 2019 Tewaarton Award Winner - Megan Taylor. Better GAA and better Save Percentage. If Taylor was the only goalie to win the Teaarton what does that say for Moreno?
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Brownlax wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:43 pm
Cletus wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:58 pm My five (in no particular order) Izzy Scane, Charlotte North, Jamie Ortega, Lauren Gilbert, Katie Hoeg.
No Moreno in Goal for UNC - she has better statistics than 2019 Tewaarton Award Winner - Megan Taylor. Better GAA and better Save Percentage. If Taylor was the only goalie to win the Teaarton what does that say for Moreno?
Who are your 5?
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Cletus wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:57 pm
Who are your 5?
Ortega, Moreno, Scane, Defeliese, North should be but
Ortega, Moreno, Scane , North, Kennedy probably will be.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Laxfan500 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:07 pm
Who are your 5?
It’ll be Colson instead of Defliese, because Maryland...
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

I am a big fan of Moreno and think she should be in the final five, but in answer to you question, it says Moreno benefits from an incredible defense that rarely gives up anything but bad angle shots.
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

seacoaster wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:43 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:07 pm
Who are your 5?
You may be right about Colson and Maryland and I wouldn’t complain about a stout defender being in the final five. She is a game changer, and superb on the circle and the ride, but not the best 1 v 1 defender. Scane had her way with Colson in two games where she scored 9 goals in each, many against Colson 1 v 1. Trenchard and Defliese I think are better 1v1 defenders. Would take Colson on my team any day though.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:43 pm
Sad
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Laxallday wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:53 pm
I am a big fan of Moreno and think she should be in the final five, but in answer to you question, it says Moreno benefits from an incredible defense that rarely gives up anything but bad angle shots.
Megan Taylor also had a great defensive four in front of her. Bottom line is Moreno still needs to make the saves she sees and she is doing that at an incredible rate. Her stats don't lie.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

In most seasons, the Tewy goes to the MVP of the championship team. I don't think that's right or fair, but this year I think it may work out OK. I would rate most of the top candidates about even going into the tournament. I love my BC nominee in #countless ways, but I don't think her regular season is sooo much better than Scane's, Ortega's or Moreno's to say she deserves the Tewaaraton even if BC loses in the semis. (Of course I will probably argue the opposite after the BC/UNC game.) For the same reason, I don't think that Kennedy has a chance. SB would have to upset UNC in the quarters for her to get two more games. Being on the other side of the draw is a huge advantage for Scane. She takes more shots than any other player in the tournament and although she doesn't convert at a high %, she will post some gaudy numbers leading up to the Cuse game in the semis. At that point, I would project that the remarkable Cuse D holds her to 3 & 1 on 8 shots. Maybe 4 goals. I don't think her 18 goals in the two games prior to Cuse will make much difference to the voters. So that means NU has to beat SU to have any shot at the Tewy for Scane. I wouldn't bet 50 cents on that game one way or another. Almost impossible to handicap. Those Cuse girls have grit by the bucketful.

So then we have the two UNC superstars, Ortega and Moreno. I think the only way one of them doesn't win is if BC or NU beats them in Baltimore. If they lose to BC, they are both out of the running. If they lose to NU in a tight game while holding Scane to fewer than 5 goals, maaaaybe Ortega could still win if she scores 5+, but no way does the losing goalie win it. That may be unfair, but...
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Can Opener wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:00 pm In most seasons, the Tewy goes to the MVP of the championship team. I don't think that's right or fair, but this year I think it may work out OK. I would rate most of the top candidates about even going into the tournament. I love my BC nominee in #countless ways, but I don't think her regular season is sooo much better than Scane's, Ortega's or Moreno's to say she deserves the Tewaaraton even if BC loses in the semis. (Of course I will probably argue the opposite after the BC/UNC game.) For the same reason, I don't think that Kennedy has a chance. SB would have to upset UNC in the quarters for her to get two more games. Being on the other side of the draw is a huge advantage for Scane. She takes more shots than any other player in the tournament and although she doesn't convert at a high %, she will post some gaudy numbers leading up to the Cuse game in the semis. At that point, I would project that the remarkable Cuse D holds her to 3 & 1 on 8 shots. Maybe 4 goals. I don't think her 18 goals in the two games prior to Cuse will make much difference to the voters. So that means NU has to beat SU to have any shot at the Tewy for Scane. I wouldn't bet 50 cents on that game one way or another. Almost impossible to handicap. Those Cuse girls have grit by the bucketful.

So then we have the two UNC superstars, Ortega and Moreno. I think the only way one of them doesn't win is if BC or NU beats them in Baltimore. If they lose to BC, they are both out of the running. If they lose to NU in a tight game while holding Scane to fewer than 5 goals, maaaaybe Ortega could still win if she scores 5+, but no way does the losing goalie win it. That may be unfair, but...
I think you are pretty spot on if these are the 5 candidates. I believe names are released on Thursday? I think if I recall correctly, the 5 candidates are announced right before playoffs which I always hated. But I guess when are they gonna do it if not right before the season?
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:29 pm
Can Opener wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:00 pm In most seasons, the Tewy goes to the MVP of the championship team. I don't think that's right or fair, but this year I think it may work out OK. I would rate most of the top candidates about even going into the tournament. I love my BC nominee in #countless ways, but I don't think her regular season is sooo much better than Scane's, Ortega's or Moreno's to say she deserves the Tewaaraton even if BC loses in the semis. (Of course I will probably argue the opposite after the BC/UNC game.) For the same reason, I don't think that Kennedy has a chance. SB would have to upset UNC in the quarters for her to get two more games. Being on the other side of the draw is a huge advantage for Scane. She takes more shots than any other player in the tournament and although she doesn't convert at a high %, she will post some gaudy numbers leading up to the Cuse game in the semis. At that point, I would project that the remarkable Cuse D holds her to 3 & 1 on 8 shots. Maybe 4 goals. I don't think her 18 goals in the two games prior to Cuse will make much difference to the voters. So that means NU has to beat SU to have any shot at the Tewy for Scane. I wouldn't bet 50 cents on that game one way or another. Almost impossible to handicap. Those Cuse girls have grit by the bucketful.

I think you are pretty spot on if these are the 5 candidates. I believe names are released on Thursday? I think if I recall correctly, the 5 candidates are announced right before playoffs which I always hated. But I guess when are they gonna do it if not right before playoffs begin?
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

glaxer24 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:18 am Finalists: https://tewaaraton.com/wp-content/uploa ... STS_PR.pdf
No surprises here. I am a little disappointed that Trenchard didn’t get the nod over Colson, but no way they were going to take 3 from UNC. Colson also deserving.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

Laxallday wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:34 am
glaxer24 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:18 am Finalists: https://tewaaraton.com/wp-content/uploa ... STS_PR.pdf
No surprises here. I am a little disappointed that Trenchard didn’t get the nod over Colson, but no way they were going to take 3 from UNC. Colson also deserving.
Always have to give the nod to Maryland....please....No offence but UNC defenders playing a much tougher conference...How many losses did Maryland have this year?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Lax247 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:36 am
Laxallday wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:34 am
Always have to give the nod to Maryland....please....No offence but UNC defenders playing a much tougher conference...How many losses did Maryland have this year?
The award styles itself as an honor given annually to the top men's and women's lacrosse players in the country. Colson -- who I think is a terrific player -- isn't the best defender in the country. If one team has all five finalists, that's fine with me. It is not a U11 award. In any event, this is a good group, hard to argue that any of them really don't belong in the discussion.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Don't you think that this a nod to the comeback from the injury ... and there is no doubt that without Colson, things would have been ALOT messier in Terp-land this season. Like, alot, alot.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:55 am Don't you think that this a nod to the comeback from the injury ... and there is no doubt that without Colson, things would have been ALOT messier in Terp-land this season. Like, alot, alot.
Maybe so, and I agree: without her, Terp defense is lost. But again, the award is purportedly for the best. Great player, but don't think she's in the top five.
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

I’m not sure why there would be an objection to Colson being in the top five, perhaps if she played this year for UNC with the surrounding level of teammates this wouldn’t be an issue. She instead has led a relatively inexperienced Maryland defense and has been outstanding. She certainly deserves this honor in my opinion and I don’t believe the Tewaaraton committee feels the need to always have a candidate from Maryland on the diss.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”