Georgetown-Syracuse

D1 Mens Lacrosse
molo

Georgetown-Syracuse

Post by molo »

These two used to play regularly with SU holding a big edge. Can a struggling ACC team beat the Big East champion?
DU-fan

Re: Georgetown-Syracuse

Post by DU-fan »

Posted some of this on the Georgetown forum.

I think Georgetown is a final four team with a really good chance of beating both Syracuse and Virginia.

SU is a wild card. Some games they are great and some games they get blown out. SU's defense has a tendency to breakdown and commit too many penalties. You can't beat Georgetown if you commit 6-7 penalties.

Georgetown plays one of the most complete games in the NCAA. Your team's defense and goalie play is the best the NCAA. I think Syracuse will struggle to score many goals. SU can beat Virginia because they know how to beat the UVA defense. Georgetown ranks #2 in GAA vs. #47 for UVA.

Reilly and the Georgetown wings should win more face offs and give the Georgetown offense more chances to score. Syracuse ranks #54 in GAA with a 13.7 average. I think Georgetown can score 14+ goals against SU. I seriously doubt SU can score 14 goals against Georgetown's defense and McElroy.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

GT 19-13
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

georgetown looked really polished in finishing off denver last weekend which might help it take advantage of a syracuse program facing all sorts of emotions right now.
molo

Post by molo »

Anyone know how the injured ssdm is doing? It looked like maybe a separated shoulder. His absence would be a big blow for the Hoyas.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

If Syracuse wins faceoffs we have a ballgame. If not, hide the children.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

I know that Georgetown is an expensive school, but there must be better ways to earn some beer money. Bless me father for I have sinned.
Attachments
A6F5883E-FDF0-47B1-90AE-444BE5A76DB8.jpeg
A6F5883E-FDF0-47B1-90AE-444BE5A76DB8.jpeg (60.9 KiB) Viewed 3999 times
DMac

Post by DMac »

Where's that crackerjack prosecutor, fergie25?
Here's a nice case of libel and slander for ya, young lady.
Go get 'em, tiger.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

Cuse didn't belong in the tourney. I think G'town will run them off the field.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Repost from Gtown thread.

My initial reaction was that it was a tough draw, but I think that is based more on Syracuse's history than anything objective in 2021. I think Syracuse is a better matchup for the Hoyas versus a team like Lehigh (for instance). Syracuse's weaknesses (defense and faceoffs) play much better into Gtown's strengths (defense, faceoffs, deliberate motion offense). Syracuse will have to win by scoring a lot of goals, which will be tough if they don't have the ball alot versus McElroy and the GT D. I do have two concerns: 1) SU's and Desko's overall playoff experience 2) SUs midfield offense, particularly if Geddes is out.

Not going to be easy, but I'm excited for this game. It's never a bad time to play (and hopefully beat) Syracuse. A win will give them a little extra bit of confidence going into the next round.
DMac

Post by DMac »

You mean doesn't, right Njlaxx?
Right, fellas, Cuse was just put in because of their history, nothing else mattered.
Just a crooked bunch of schidtheads who ignored everything but their history and put 'em in.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

DMac wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:01 am You mean doesn't, right Njlaxx?
Right, fellas, Cuse was just put in because of their history, nothing else mattered.
Just a crooked bunch of schidtheads who ignored everything but their history and put 'em in.
Not going to speak for NJlaxx, but my point was not that SU doesn’t belong in the tourney. I think they are appropriately placed. My point is in reference to those that think it’s a bad draw for Gtown to play them in first round. I think that reaction is based on history — which to be fair is not nothing. Experience and aura definitely play a role come tournament time.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Not disagreement there. Frankly, I'm not much of one to be all that concerned about rankings and placement.
Ultimately you have to beat the best team(s) in the tourney in order to take the hardware home, what order
you play them in really doesn't much matter.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

I think this is a tough draw for the Hoyas, who I have seen quite a bit this year. Their defense is top notch, but they have not played many teams on their schedule with the firepower that Cuse has. That just wasn't happening in the Big East. Cuse top 6 is Hiltz, Trimboli, Curry, Rehfuss, Dordevic, Seebold - that is a daunting task against a team who may be down their arguable best defender in Geddes. Denver and Nova have a few really good offensive players, but not nearly the depth that Cuse has.

Cuse seems like a team that is just hot and cold this year. If both teams play their A+ game I think Cuse comes out on top. But this Hoya team has just been so tough, gritty, and well coached all year long. I do think that the X factor will be the faceoff play. Gtown will need to win that matchup. Should be the best game in round 1 IMO.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

molo wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:26 pm Anyone know how the injured ssdm is doing? It looked like maybe a separated shoulder. His absence would be a big blow for the Hoyas.
It’s a shoulder issue yes. Hopeful he can play but it’s probably 50/50 at this point.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Tickets just went on sale at the Maryland site. COVID-19 restrictions still in place. Seats only being sold in groups of two and four all reserved and only certain sections are available.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

https://cuse.com/news/2021/5/11/mens-la ... etown.aspx

5 THINGS TO KNOW: 'CUSE VS. GEORGETOWN
5/11/2021 2:19:00 PM | Men's Lacrosse
Syracuse will play in the NCAA First Round on Saturday vs. No. 5 Georgetown at Maryland. Here are five things to know about the matchup.

1. AN OLD BIG EAST AFFAIR
While Syracuse and Georgetown have a longstanding rivalry on the hardwood and were founding members of the BIG EAST conference, the two were short-lived conference foes in lacrosse as well.

The Orange were members of the BIG EAST lacrosse conference from 2010-13. In that span, Syracuse won the league's regular season and/or tournament title in each of the four seasons. 'Cuse left for the ACC in 2014 and Georgetown has owned the conference tournament recently, winning the league's automatic berth from 2018 on.

2. LORD OF THE RINGS
The Orange head into the weekend as 1-of-16 teams vying for the NCAA lacrosse championship. 'Cuse is seeking its 12th national title – which would extend its lead as the winningest college lacrosse program ever in terms of titles.

Historically, May has been where Syracuse shines brightest. The Orange have the highest winning percentage in the NCAA Tournament of any program (.701), second-most wins (68) and are tied for the third-most appearances (40).

3. HILTZ DOESN'T PLAY LIKE A ROOKIE
Freshman Owen Hiltz enters Saturday's game fresh off a seven-goal performance, tying Syracuse's freshman single-game goals record, vs. Robert Morris. He now has 47 points (28-19) on the season.

In the Orange's freshman record books, Hiltz has put together one of the top seasons by a rookie ever. His 47 points are the most by an SU rookie since Mikey Powell registered 70 in 2001 and rank eighth among 'Cuse rookies ever. He's also eighth in goals and assists.

If Hiltz scores three goals against the Hoyas on Saturday, he'll surpass a pair of eventual Tewaaraton Award winners (Mike Powell and Mike Leveille) for the most goals in a season by a Syracuse freshman in over 25 years. Powell scored 30 goals in 16 games during his 2001 campaign. Leveille scored his 30 goals in 13 games in 2005. Hiltz has played 12 games to date.

4. ACC DISTANCES ITSELF
The ACC earned five of the eight at-large berths to the NCAA Tournament, more than double any other league. The BIG EAST (2), the Patriot League (2) and Big Ten (2) were the only other multi-bid leagues.

The ACC was 31-1 vs. non-conference competition this season. All-five ACC squads are in different opening-round matchups and will have an opportunity to improve those numbers this week.

5. TICKETS ARE ON SALE
Fans can attend Saturday night's game by visiting this link and purchasing tickets:
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:20 am Cuse didn't belong in the tourney. I think G'town will run them off the field.
lmao. take the gift of being allowed in. and let your team do the talking.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... game/57886

Matt Kinnear (@MattKinnear)
No. 5 Georgetown vs. Syracuse, 7:30 p.m. Saturday — I have a similar feeling about this game as Patrick does about Lehigh-Rutgers. With not much to go on outside of conference, I think the Big East was generally lumped in with the CAA and America East in terms of talent level — not put on a similar plane as the ACC, Big Ten and Patriot League this year. And just when I thought the Hoyas’ offense was going stagnant, leading up to and including the Loyola game, they come back and beat two Top 10-caliber teams in Villanova and Denver.

Georgetown’s trajectory as a program is one storyline I’m excited to follow. Three-straight league championships isn’t a sign that the program is rising, it’s that it has arrived. Those trips ended in close losses to Johns Hopkins and Yale, so a win over a blue blood like Syracuse would be a next step in Kevin Warne’s process.

In terms of personnel, how one of the nation’s best defenses and goalies (Owen McElroy) match up with the Orange will be fascinating, as will if the Orange’s much maligned D can keep pace with Hoyas like Declan McDermott, Graham Bundy and Jake Carraway.

But what I'm most excited about is there’s a preview of the next several years of DI lacrosse with two shining freshman stars in Haley and Owen Hiltz. And oh yeah is there anything newsworthy going on with the Orange right now?

The Big East heyday is back, baby. Let’s enjoy.

Kevin Brown (@KevBrown89)
No. 5 Georgetown vs. Syracuse, 7:30 p.m. Saturday — In a rivalry game that brings back vintage memories of the Brodie Merrill-Mikey Powell era, this will be must-watch television. Can Jakob Phaup replicate the kind of success he had against Virginia's Petey LaSalla against Hoya FOGO James Reilly? If not, the defensive pressure from guys like Gibson Smith and James Donaldson and shot-stopping ability from Owen McElroy could make this one-sided. I'm expecting some up and down action as the Orange have been sending their athletic O-mids back on defense the later games of the season, and they'll need to drop back with two-way threats like Dylan Hess storming down the field. TJ Haley and Jake Carraway could pick this defense a part, but I'm expecting this one to go down to the wire thanks to a second-half 'Cuse surge led by Tucker Dordevic. Final prediction: Georgetown 15, Syracuse 14.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DU-fan wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:44 pm https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... game/57886

Matt Kinnear (@MattKinnear)
No. 5 Georgetown vs. Syracuse, 7:30 p.m. Saturday — I have a similar feeling about this game as Patrick does about Lehigh-Rutgers. With not much to go on outside of conference, I think the Big East was generally lumped in with the CAA and America East in terms of talent level — not put on a similar plane as the ACC, Big Ten and Patriot League this year.
the big east were generally lumped in with the b1g. certainly not the america east. the caa was given zero credibility. all based on jack.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”